Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

I made a concoction for dinner because I ran out of flour to make the roux for the mac-n-cheese. Ground meat, crushed tomatoes, and Velveta cheese mixed with corkscrew noodles and baked. I’m calling it baked spaghetti.

Stroller is picked up. I need apple pie. Anyone have some?

I think that dish is similar to baked ziti, which I make often. It's one of the few pasta dishes that dh will eat. I will either use the corkscrew, or (most of the time) penn noodles, and real cheese. I think the penn noodles are what was called for in the original recipe, but I don't remember. I just use whatever is on hand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spudater said:

True. Though I bought that back when I could still convince myself that all my kids would use it so the cost would be spread out. Plus my alternatives weren’t  free. Part of me keeps thinking I should just DIY Lit completely since I studied those books in college.

but yes, I know I’m being unreasonable

I've found that DIY does not get done here. You don't want to pay that price with time.

• Like 4

Morning, I'm tired this week.  But I'm off next week so hopefully I can rest up and get over whatever has me feeling so draggy.   It's been gloomy and rainy here all week so that could be what it is.

I had a new student withdraw after the first day in a class, with parents sending a note about their disbelief in how the class was run, how they expected things to be, that they would never let things go that way when they were teachers,  the lack of respect, etc.   I will admit that particular class (forensics) tends to be on the loud side.  It's older kids who requested the class specifically (mostly, there are a few others who joined but seem to enjoy the atmosphere), it's definitely less academic than many of my classes although we do get things done, but there is a lot of discussion.  I'm also not a very rigid teacher to begin with except when it comes to safety and these guys are very comfortable with me at this point so it's not always calm, formal discussions.    At first I was upset, but then thinking about it - I don't WANT my classes to replicate public school, and definitely not what passes for "respect" in public schools (which often means -sit down, shut up, don't question anything).  Plus I have a lot of kids that are homeschooling because of various special needs from autism to adhd to odd, and I like being a place where they are able to fit in and participate (especially because that includes my kids).   I do put a stop to any outright meanness (rare except between siblings but I stop it), correct any thoughtlessness that may make others feel bad (also rare), and very definitely take a line on safety, which mostly comes up once we start the labs not so much the discussion part of things.  

Anyway, I guess this has me musing on what I want my classes to look like.  I have other classes that are much more typical appearing, but again I don't think anyone would ever confuse them with public school classes in atmosphere.  I have some kids (mostly younger) that have been with me for almost 3 years so it's clearly working for them.  I have others that did one session and never returned for various reasons.  I know my classes won't be a good fit for everyone and that is fine.   As I grow, I expect these kind of things to possibly come up more often and I guess it has me thinking.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Oh!  I think I need to figure out when my siblings’ birthdays are. I think that they are sometime around now. 

Thank you for the reminder to think about birthdays!

My dad's and youngest sister's birthday is tomorrow. Hadn't been on my mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 5:01 PM, lots of little ducklings said:

Anyone have suggestions on speeding up a 12 year-old boy who is suddenly doing everything at a snail's pace?  It's like dragging a one-legged zombie through an endless swamp of molasses. I'm assuming it's a symptom of Preteen Syndrome.  

Let me know if you figure it out.  It’s been 2 years of this here.  No end in sight.  

• Like 3

Morning. I woke up to the sound of something large and distinctly non-human on the roof. Even the cats were worried. I got up and braved the rain to go out and deal with whatever it was. But it turned out to be an adolescent squirrel. I guess even teenage rodents can be noisy.

It's raining here--a steady, gray, drizzle. I picked up some movies from the library for the boys. Watch next week be gorgeous fishing weather, but that's February for you. Today I have a couple of more intense scenes to revise, and I might get through them both today or just one. Then they need to sit and stew until I've had a chance to think about the changes and decide if they work for me. 

Termite inspection today.

• Like 6

I set off the smoke alarm today - at least we know it's working!  I'm taking dd17 to a new patient appointment with a hopefully new PCP.  Later the older youngers have galintine and bro-intine youth group parties.  Broccoli, turkey, and rice cassrole for dinner for the rest of us.

Tomorrow the HIGH temperature at my mom's house is going to be 1.  Svengo.  It should warm up a little before I get there on Friday. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Not when books are involved. 

Oh, my goodness, of course not! One always assumes that books have been rescued and held in a secure location. That's Rule Number 1 in the Bazooka and Flamethrower Deployment Manual™. I cannot believe that I failed to mention that. My deepest apologies. 😳

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

What elderberries so you prefer for making elderberry syrup? I cannot buy elderberries anywhere locally so will have to order online, but the gazillion choices are overwhelming.

I got mine from Mountain Rose Herbs (dot com).  Very reasonable price, good quality stuff.

Edited by Susan in TN

2 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Hmmm, looking at the google, maybe I am just fat and not old. Ididn’t think I was THAT fat but maybe I am. 

No. Dehydrated most likely. And we are old. You start decaying at about 20 so none of you is as it was, even if you're still so young in most ways.

• Like 1

I am back. Briefly. We had park day today. I lead Abraham Lincoln themed actives since today is his actual birthday. It went well. Had a parent meeting that went well.  NOw I am scarfing leftover soup for lunch and then will go pick up DD1 from school. And then I have a ton of stuff to do for work and then Awana. And I’m tired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

Warning needlepo avert ye squeamish eyes

midwife stuck me four times before giving up and sending me to the lab. Lab tech had to dig but finally found a vein. Why are my veins rolly now?  They never used to be. Sometimes I feel like a very old 36.
But glad to finally eat!  And baby was super active and dancing and kicking all over the place while midwife was trying to listen to the heartbeat. 🥰

If they ever have trouble in the future, ask them to stick your hand/arm in a very warm water bath. The phlebotomists call it my “spa treatment “ but it does make it easier for them to get blood out of this turnip. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

If they ever have trouble in the future, ask them to stick your hand/arm in a very warm water bath. The phlebotomists call it my “spa treatment “ but it does make it easier for them to get blood out of this turnip. 

I have never heard of this! Sometimes they go in behind my knees. 😭

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I have never heard of this! Sometimes they go in behind my knees. 😭

Sometimes it’s hot packs. Sometimes the water bath. Usually they have to go through the back of my hand. I am very good at talking phlebotomists through my blood draws now. I used to dread seeing them get that glint in their eye that signaled that they were determined to get blood even if it killed me. 

• Like 2

Help me figure out what I should get to drink this weekend.  I don't drink much, usually beer like Corona or Molson Ice or Stella Artois, wines like Barefoot usually a Reisling.  Wine coolers maybe.  Drinks that taste like nothing.  

So Dh is going to pick me up something for the weekend (since I really want a drink this weekend) but I don't know what I want.  Help me decide?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maize said:

My toilet is broken. 

And I don't want to tackle fixing it.

Just.

Don't.

Wanna.

That is why our dishwasher has been broken for something like 5 years.  And microwave for going on 1 year, I think.  And duct tape holding food to the door of my fridge, where a shelf used to be.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Sometimes it’s hot packs. Sometimes the water bath. Usually they have to go through the back of my hand. I am very good at talking phlebotomists through my blood draws now. I used to dread seeing them get that glint in their eye that signaled that they were determined to get blood even if it killed me. 

We had an emergency when I was going to have Mary. We would have rescheduled the C-section, but I had already started labor. I believe we had nine phlebotomists before we could get it done. I had been vomiting constantly for days and was incredibly dehydrated. The kept apologizing. It wasn't their fault.

• Sad 3

42 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Help me figure out what I should get to drink this weekend.  I don't drink much, usually beer like Corona or Molson Ice or Stella Artois, wines like Barefoot usually a Reisling.  Wine coolers maybe.  Drinks that taste like nothing.  

So Dh is going to pick me up something for the weekend (since I really want a drink this weekend) but I don't know what I want.  Help me decide?

I think the Hive usually recommends Mike's Hard Lemonade.  Given the weather, maybe irish coffee?

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Mine too! The dishwasher is missing lots of buttons but I know what they each do.

I'm the only person here who can use my keyboard. I've worn all the letters off the keys, and between that and the "ergonomic" shape of the keyboard, everyone else messes up too much.  I'm ok with having it all to myself. ☺

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The toilet flush mechanism is, of course, fixable. Probably everything in there needs to be replaced though.

The ceramic lid that covers the water tank broke a few years ago and we have been making do every since. 

I really, really want to just get a new toilet installed. 

Where is that Mysterious Rich Uncle when I need him?

Hey it's a toilet booyah!

Edited by maize
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I like a very well chilled dry Sauvignon Blanc. It's crisp and refreshing and yummy. And I'm really in the mood for a glass. Unfortunately, middle age has meant that I cannot drink wine and expect to sleep ever again.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Spudater said:

The only drinks I like are blended margaritas because they don’t taste like alcohol. 

If you go to a restaurant ask for a chocolate monkey. It tastes like a chocolate banana milkshake. I also like hot apple pies which taste like hot apple pies. They're hot.

• Like 1