Menu

What's with the ads?

7 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Sunday Night!

I slept for precisely 1.5 hours last night -- t-storms and a freaked-out 7 year-old who repeatedly jumped on my head as she tried to get in-between me and DH. Each incident was followed by DH ordering her back to bed; hence, the repeatedly-ness of it all.

I therefore played church-hooky and slept.

Then payed all the bills.

Then printed off everything for everyone for everysubject for the upcoming year.  Took hours, like it always does.  So glad it's done.  Some hole-punching to do, and I need to bind my planner/record-book at Staples, and then I'll be good to go.  (Well, implementation is another story....)

'Tis all for now. 

Way to go on the printing!

And it's a teacher prep day booyah!

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

DUN DUN

da-da-da-da

DUN DUN!

That looks like Star Wars to me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Weekend is almost over.   I got most of the laundry done but ds just came out and said he didn't have underwear.  Dh explained to him what going commando means.   Lucky for us ds doesn't have to go anywhere tomorrow.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

This week's camp is Space Camp.   I have the whole week planned out and ready to go.  I'm going to try and get a jump on next week's camp, which is a general science explorations camp so I can do whatever I want without having to match it up to a theme.  Then I can work on school planning and my classes for the fall.  

I did a bunch of cleaning at the science center today.  Dh put up new shelves, a new whiteboard (my old one got scratched from magnets so we put it in the breakroom for the kids to use), and new flowers outside.   My cleaning person is quitting at the end of summer and is just coming once a week now.  Camps are WAAAAAAYYYYYY messier than classes.  I think because they have break times where they play. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We ate!  Very yummy grilled salmon, tuna, and shrimp.  Spinach salad on the side.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 4

We also ate.  Cereal.  With a choice of whole milk or coconut milk.  Except I had chef salad left over from lunch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We also ate.  Cereal.  With a choice of whole milk or coconut milk.  Except I had chef salad left over from lunch.

Cereal!  With whole milk!  I am so there!  

• Like 5

I always buy whole milk. 

Actually, certain people in my family are known to pour themselves cups of half and half when we have some in the fridge.

We're all about the cream around here...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

You're clearly not paying attention.

Of course not.

Actually, I was serious with Eye of the Tiger. Africa.... not so much.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I need to do the dishes. My least favorite job in the whole entire world.

Why are you doing the dishes when you have a signature full of kids?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

Why are you doing the dishes when you have a signature full of kids?

Because they don’t do it right.

And they have other chores.

• Like 5

I made caramel sticky buns.

The cat is drinking out of the fountain.

The girls are running in and out of the house screaming,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Slashie, what the heck movie are you watching??

Hoodwinked.

30 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We had hamburgers for dinner.

Yo tambourine!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We ate Dh's homemade pizza, leftover.  And Poldarked.  This episode at least ended on a slightly brighter note than usual.

I can never guess song tunes.

And I have a deep antipathy toward squirrels. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, maize said:

Here is five day old Buttermilk:

IMG_20190818_200923686~2.jpg

Buttermilk has gotten big. And she’s got stripes. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Buttermilk has gotten big. And she’s got stripes. 

She apparently follows an exponential growth curve, at least doubling in size every day. Five days ago she was the size of the I in LIBERTY on that dime! Now a single stripe on her back is that size.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Being camp director means hearing your name a lot. 

We had a nice start to camp. I love camp. Difficult camper is already being difficult. (That’s not why I love camp.). I have to wake up too early tomorrow but I showered tonight so that I won’t have to do it in the morning. 

• Like 12

So.

A few months after I moved here my best friend's abusive husband of 10 years left her for some young thing who puts up with his abuse better.

She's a wreck.

Her family has strongly been urging her to marry a family friend who is a good man and will take care of her. She does not want to do that. She doesn't like this person and she wants time to breathe before she starts dating, but the pressure is heavy. She's my age so needs to get married ASAP to have kids, women need men to take care of them, etc.

We mostly text but I learned something really cool and wanted to call and tell her. Her hours vary so I say call me when you can. Yesterday I repeat the message. She texts at midnight and says she's in a really bad place, she'll call in a few days. I see the message (because husband is snoring!) and I'm a bad friend so I call her right then. She couldn't even say hi without bursting into tears. She was in a car accident and her car is totaled. Her family is rubbing it in her face because they told her to get an old clunker and she didn't. Her boss is yelling at her because she called in sick for two days because she was in a car accident.

She's a wreck.

So.

Mom says don't get a rental car, come get one of our spares. When she gets there she gets lectured by dad about how this is just more proof that she should marry family friend. She should not be in this situation alone because she will handle it poorly, get married now. And no, you can't have a spare car because you should just have a husband.

Dad says go look at cars and call him so she does. Every car is proof that she's an idiot. Too expensive, too many miles, wrong make, whatever. Both dad and brother say she needs to get a $500 clunker despite the fact that she has to drive in the snow and has been harassed by antifa and would appreciate a car that actually runs. So this whole car thing is just proof that she needs to be married ASAP.

We talked for an hour. I said if God's not calling her to marry this guy then it's nobody's business. I told her her father and brother were being jerks. I reminded her that she's been taking care of herself for 10 years while her husband has refused to get a job or be a partner in any way. I reminded her that she has tons of disposable income and cannot change her oil so if she decides to get a small loan to buy a car she's comfortable with then that's also nobody's business. And I told her that if she actually does make a mistake then it really doesn't matter. It's a car. It just doesn't matter. It was a good conversation in which she cried a lot and now feels less pressured. Any advice to go with the above?

Eta: When I said tons of disposable income I meant it. She's looking for a used car and is too smart to get herself into a pickle. The issue here is stress and family.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Wow, slache, I'm glad your friend has you to help with perspective.

First off, she doesn't just have an abusive ex, she has an entire abusive family. Trying to pressure and shame someone into marrying who and when you want them to marry? Way, way, way not ok.

There's that Boundaries book by Townsend that is always getting recommended on the board, she needs to read it ASAP and establish clear boundaries with her family.

She sounds like a strong and capable woman.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

(((Friend of Slache)))  I have seen family members marry because of family pressure because it was "the sensible thing to do."  And it was never a good thing in the end.  Marriage is a serious and holy commitment - not a door to convenient living.

• Like 12

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Lessons are underway.  A load of laundry has been started, and I need to clean up the kitchen from breakfast.  Dh left for work at dark o'clock.  We are out of mayo.

Coffee!

• Like 8

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!😩😩😩

I’m meeting another family today at the park. So, that should be nice.

Hopefully the mechanic can take my car in today and my mom said I can borrow hers (a newish GMC Acadia), so that problem is solved. My car (a 2004 Sienna) is starting to need a bit more attention. A bit more pricey attention. We just dropped $800 a couple months ago, and now it’s the water pump (DH thinks). It’s only got 146,000 miles on it. I’d like to keep driving it for another year or so as a primary car (although it is all scraped up, thanks to DS) and then let DS use it and me get another car (preferably a Highlander or a Pilot or maybe even a Traverse). We’d like to get 200,000 miles out of it before we let it go. Grrrrr, cars.

It’s supposed to be hot again this week.🔥🔥☀️

• Like 11

Eeek. Even if she loved the guy, she shouldn't be marrying if she's not ready to marry him. But she doesn't love the guy, and her family are being unreasonable. 

• Like 8

School today. I'm writing, and basically staying afloat through what has been a couple of really hard weeks on the writing front. Looks like I may have a couple of hard decisions coming up, too. Just keep writing, just keep writing...

I have another appointment with the oncologist this week, too. Fun times. I probably get to be stuck in a machine again soon to figure out what's going on. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

Trying to kill a migraine.  😞

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

18 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

Trying to kill a migraine.  😞

Sending migraine obliteration thoughts your way!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yep. Got my 2,000 plus words today, and the afternoon is clear for character work and some work on a short story that's going to be super weird. It's part science fiction and the rest medical horror. Kind of out of my comfort zone as a writer, but short stories are where I practice. The boys are done with school already, despite the complaints of how I'd assigned way too much work and they would probably die. But they didn't. And they even cleaned per instructions, and the one boy is ready to make dinner this evening. He said that he thinks I have a very stressful life now. I don't think he enjoyed being done with his daily work and then having to pick up the vacuum cleaner and go to work. Good for his soul.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Two Hours, people!  Svengo.  We must all be knee deep in Mondays.

More like waist deep!! Making lunch now, then heading for the park to meet a new family!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Yep. Got my 2,000 plus words today, and the afternoon is clear for character work and some work on a short story that's going to be super weird. It's part science fiction and the rest medical horror. Kind of out of my comfort zone as a writer, but short stories are where I practice. The boys are done with school already, despite the complaints of how I'd assigned way too much work and they would probably die. But they didn't. And they even cleaned per instructions, and the one boy is ready to make dinner this evening. He said that he thinks I have a very stressful life now. I don't think he enjoyed being done with his daily work and then having to pick up the vacuum cleaner and go to work. Good for his soul.

I love medical mysteries!  I don't know about horror, though.  My fave is Robin Cook.

• Like 2

Headache is still bad, but it is much better than it was before.  I'd say it's a 3 now and it was a 6.  Headache at level 6 involved crying and vomiting.  😞

Dinner plan has been changed from me making hamburgers and coleslaw to dd15 and dd13 serving up leftovers.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

I was worried about the dishwasher and opened it quickly to ensure the center piece was rising. Now I'm soaking wet. Didn't think that one through.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Long day and I'm tired.  First day of camp went well.  All boys this week except possibly one girl tomorrow.  In addition to dd who comes to help out.

DH had a doctors appointment about his bad ankle and bad knee.  His ankle needs a fusion or replacement.  He's leaning toward replacement since it seems to result in less loss of mobility.  He's still pretty active for his age.   I think he's feeling kind of depressed over the whole thing.  I feel bad but don't know how to help.  

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 6

I have reached the ultimate level of laziness.  The brand of bread I picked in our grocery order was out of stock.  I didn't want to stop anywhere or go inside.  The lady who brought my groceries out just went back in to get me a loaf.

• Like 6

Eight o'clock is evening cleanup time.

Just now...

Me: How's the cleanup going, girls.

she sound of silence

Dd11: Um...

the sound of little girls giggling

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

It's time for the two girls who are home to do their evening chore and for me to fold and put away laundry.  I'm bribing myself with a couple episodes of The Middle.

• Like 6

Phase 1 of Garage Cleanup finally happened today.  Of course I picked the hottest, muggiest day this month to get inspired. (93 degrees. We’ve hovered around 71 all August...shhh... don’t tell anyone, especially Kristi.) 

Three garbage bags are filled, and the trunks of both vehicles are stuffed with donations. Hopefully I can drop some at Savers tomorrow, and the rest goes to church. 

And I see I only have 5% power left! Literally and figuratively. 

Happy Remainder of Monday everyone. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Headache is pretty much gone.  My head doesn't really hurt, but everything feels fuzzy.

All evening I was telling everyone to speak softly and slowly.  I realized that I was having trouble processing language, almost as if everyone was speaking a foreign language that I'm familiar with, but have to think about.  Not sure if my words are making sense.  😉

• Like 10

Hi. Busy busy day. I made sure that I took my evening meds tonight. 

Morning teaching went ok. Not bad but I was fuzzier than I wanted to be on four hours sleep. Took a 15 minute nap in the car this afternoon. It’s actually amazing how much that helped. Evening teaching went really well even if I say so myself. 

Directing is going ok. The main “problem “ which isn’t a super big problem, is that there are a bunch of little things like key codes to buildings etc that no one is telling me upfront and then I am scrambling to get us access. Actually if I think about it, that’s a campground director issue and not really my issue, though it becomes my issue. 

• Like 8

Good Tuesday Morning!  Coffee is in hand.....  in mug, in hand.  

Go Jean go!  Camp!  Camp!  Camp!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

Still feeling a little bit fuzzy from the migraine. 😞  I think we're going to take today slowly.

• Like 5

Good Tuesday morning!!  We're up, getting ready for work.  Can't figure out what I want to cook for supper.  Today, I need to call the school and check on schedules and dd's dual enrollment.   

• Like 4