Menu

Ignore this thread!

42 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I’m finding it super helpful, though. I appreciate the insights.

Passport Day!

No word from Scotland yet. If I may impose, would y’all pray we get some kind of response? I’m pretty sure it would be, “Thank you for your interest. We will get back to you once we have the contract.” That would be fine.

Praying for your family, Bookie, and for you Jean. Sickies and pain are against ITT rules.

Pain can’t be against ITT rules or I wouldn’t be able to be here. I haven’t died yet though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Time to math.  Sigh.  I hope this doesn't get loud.

😂  I was helping my math hater with story problems the other day and we were, ahem, "loudly" clarifying our thoughts to one another.  Dh said we sounded like a couple of Klingons trying to do math together.  We were like "What?  We're not mad at each other!"  😂

1 hour ago, mms said:

Yeah, I don’t understand when people say Saxon is procedural. It just spells out the concepts really explicitly and then drills them ad nauseam. Some children really need that concrete practice before grasping things on a conceptual level. I enjoyed how it used money for place value.

Agree.

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

I can say without a doubt that having three kids has done nothing for my maturity level.

Agree.  🤣    j/k!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I got back to sleep. 

In Japan the girls give the boys chocolate on Valentines Day. 

I always wondered how that take on the holiday came about.

The guys are supposed to reciprocate on White Day but it seemed to me that the Valentine's day expenditures were significantly higher.

And I guess White Day is a more recent tradition? 

I'm sure the driver for both is the retail industry! Any excuse to convince people to buy more gifts 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Serious Christian Content Po:  

Avert your eyes if it isn’t your thing. 

I think that spiritual growth and beginning maturity can happen in any family configuration (or single person) where the person is putting their own desires aside to seek out God's will in their life. 

I think that this is a wonderful insight and very true.

I think that the trouble lies in learning how to distinguish God's will from one's own desires. We humans are very good at creating our own justifications and convincing ourselves that our desires are God's calling. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't remember how Saxon progresses now. Is this it: 5/4, 6/5, 7/6, 8/7, Algebra I (separate geometry?), Algebra II, Advanced Mathematics, Calculus or Physics?

And I've head of people skipping the numbers one but I don't know which ones or why.

You can do Algebra 1/2 instead of 8/7.

We don't have separate geometry because our books are old.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks for the Saxon vs CLE comparison. I needed that. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who thinks CLE moves that fast. I'll look at Saxon as a possibility for next year. What do the newer version Saxon people use for geometry? Is Saxon intending to publish a geometry curriculum at some point? It doesn't make sense to me that they don't already have one, since they have everything else.

Apparently they made one.

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

For the first time since I had my first baby 22 years ago, dh and I are going away on a solo trip this weekend.  Sunday afternoon to late Monday.  Dd has agreed to take care of the menagerie.  I have booked an air bnb in a scenic area a couple hours away.  I'm so excited! 

I'm jealous!

Back from the funeral and my parent meeting. Funeral was lovely and very very sad. I didn’t even know the gal, I had just talked with her on the phone a handful of times and I bawled the whole time. It was at a Church of Christ and all the hymns were sung a capella.  “It is Well With MySoul” sung a capella in 4-part harmony just about did me in. She died way too young, left a grieving husband and 3 teenaged kids.

• Sad 6

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Serious answer.  Many couples do find a way to go away (financially and logistically) before all kids have left the nest.  We just had a variety of circumstances including financial that made this not work out for us. 

I know. We're prioritizing debt and a house with a low mortgage payment (as opposed to renting) and we have no regrets. And John will be able to watch the lot soon enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paradox5 said:

The progression is:

54, 65, 76, 87 (opt), Alg 1/2, Alg 1, Alg 2, Advanced Math, Calculus

Geometry is integrated into the 2 algebra and Advanced math bks.. They started a separate sequence for public schools which took all the geometry out of the other 3 books. Dumb, if you ask me.

If I wanted it integrated do you know, which release I would want?

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

This is what I'm wondering, too. 1 yr each in Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 are required here so I understand the need to separate the curriculum in that manner. But which sequence and editions is a grand mystery, though I have plenty of time before we get there. I am a loooong term planner and I hate change, so the idea of anything that could take us all the way through graduation appeals to me.

I make a this grade through 12th sequence every year. I like to think it but I'm not tied to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I used to make those all-the-way-through-twelfth-grade lists.  They kept changing the next year.  Sometimes before THAT year was over.  I gave up.  Lol!

And you know what's amazing? Even without the list, ready or not, here it comes! 😂

Oh, no, wait! It's almost already went.😳

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, mms said:

Yeah, for some reason it took me till five kids to have that sort of perspective. Before, it was “I feel bad, the world must be ending or something. I’m in the depths of despair. Oh nooooooo.....”

Now it’s “oh yeah, cause/effect. Move along, mind the gap.”

Someone (Renai??) needs to put this in the Official Collection of ITT Wisdom (or whatever we are calling it).  

• Like 1

I'm tired. It's been a long day.

Oldest two had their religious education class this morning, kids had Lion King rehearsal, then karate, then I had a dentist appointment, then ds7 and dd5 had a karate belt test, dd16 got to assist with the testing. The rest of us went to watch. 

Dd12 did math and ds9 did cello practice and dd16 read some of her book for literature, otherwise I do not think much schoolwork got done today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Spudater said:

Since we’re speaking of Saxon, do you think it’s good for kids with anxiety?

How this week has gone has made me wonder if that’s more of an issue with Twilight Sparkle than a LD. We went back to fractions and she picked it up immediatley, easy peasy. But then she had a complete meltdown because I upped her cursive to copywork from a book instead of my example, so it made me wonder if justhaving something that looks hard makes her brain freeze up and then attempts to help her or make her work just Overwhelm her and make her melt down.  I don’t know. Sometimes I wonder what she would be like in school, if she would be an absolute mess or if maybe she would develop more coping mechanisms bc maybe I’m coddling her in some way. I really don’t know. I guess I’m kind of hoping she grows outof it a bit. Her sisters were similar but notquite as intense, and theydid get a little less so as they got older. 

Maybe, maybe not be any better in school. Gymnast is often on the verge, and the only thing that keeps her from a meltdown is she hates anyone seeing her cry. She breaks down when she gets home. Lately, she's started lining up all her stuffed animals in the living room and calling me in so she can hold a meeting to let everything out. She will not be going back to the part-time program next year for sure, and I'm debating putting her in when we get back from Texas in April.

9 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks for the Saxon vs CLE comparison. I needed that. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who thinks CLE moves that fast. I'll look at Saxon as a possibility for next year. What do the newer version Saxon people use for geometry? Is Saxon intending to publish a geometry curriculum at some point? It doesn't make sense to me that they don't already have one, since they have everything else.

The older versions integrate the geometry into the two Algebra books.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1