Menu

Ignore this thread!

36 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Your van was begging you to put her out of her misery. You see the massive Honda minivan recall? I know yours was older. I hate Hondas.

I love Hondas! But yes.

34 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I wanted 2. I had 6.

Are you a cat?

26 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I will never buy another VW.  

Why?

24 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Dh wanted twelve.  He changed his mind.

I wonder why.

23 minutes ago, ikslo said:

That’s true.  Their dealerships are money sucks.  My engine light kept coming on, and hundreds of dollars in diagnostics told us nothing.  It was experience with DS’s allergies that allowed us to realize the dang car only liked premium gas.  After that, no more engine light trouble!

Your car must be related to me. 🙄

I'm probably one of the ones old enough to be Slache's mother.   Although I still get comments about being too young to be oldest dd's mother.   Dh gets comments about being our kids grandfather all the time.  To be fair, he really is old enough to be there grandfather and his younger brother has grandchildren quite a bit older than our children.

• Like 3

I think the last concert I went to was the Eagles Hell Freezes Over tour.  Our maybe some small venue concert I went to with a friend that I don't remember what group it was.  It wasn't a big one or one I was into.   Actually it was probably taking oldest dd to Kelly Clarkson.  

Dh doesn't like to go to concerts.  He was a merchandising manager for bands in the late 70's/early 80's.  Toured with The Who (played Space Invaders with Pete Townsend on one of the first arcade machines that he had in his dressing rooms), Genesis, Jethro Tull, a few others.  He has original concert tees, backstage passes, signed programs.   Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, although dd has one of the Led Zeppelin shirts.  Used to wear it to school and get all her teachers worked up because it was vintage and signed.

• Like 2

My 83 yo dad is old.  I'm just... another Eagles fan.  😁

I had a fun night.  Dc and I talked for over an hour in Spanish about all kinds of things.  We used Google Earth to look up places that sounded interesting and discussed them in Spanish.  I understand better now how people use it to find lost cities and such.  I was able to figure out where a friend's house used to be (out in the country - it burned down 25 years ago) because Google Map showed a slight indentation in the ground where the dirt driveway had been.  Going to street level, I recognized the trees.  Cool.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, klmama said:

My 83 yo dad is old.  I'm just... another Eagles fan.  😁

I had a fun night.  Dc and I talked for over an hour in Spanish about all kinds of things.  We used Google Earth to look up places that sounded interesting and discussed them in Spanish.  I understand better now how people use it to find lost cities and such.  I was able to figure out where a friend's house used to be (out in the country - it burned down 25 years ago) because Google Map showed a slight indentation in the ground where the dirt driveway had been.  Going to street level, I recognized the trees.  Cool.

I just used Google Maps last night to locate a church that I attended a few times as a child.  I knew what city the church was in, that it was a large brick building, and the way it was situated on a corner with the parking lot across the street.  It took a little while, but I was able to locate it.  :)

Also, are you a fluent/native Spanish speaker?  Estoy aprendiendo.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I think the last concert I went to was the Eagles Hell Freezes Over tour.  Our maybe some small venue concert I went to with a friend that I don't remember what group it was.  It wasn't a big one or one I was into.   Actually it was probably taking oldest dd to Kelly Clarkson.  

Dh doesn't like to go to concerts.  He was a merchandising manager for bands in the late 70's/early 80's.  Toured with The Who (played Space Invaders with Pete Townsend on one of the first arcade machines that he had in his dressing rooms), Genesis, Jethro Tull, a few others.  He has original concert tees, backstage passes, signed programs.   Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, although dd has one of the Led Zeppelin shirts.  Used to wear it to school and get all her teachers worked up because it was vintage and signed.

Svengo!!

My first concert was The Who in 1989/90 or there abouts.   Other than that one, the Eagles and Kelly Clarkson mentioned before, I've seen Simon & Garfunkle, Brittney Spears.  I feel like I"m forgetting some. 

The town I used to live in did a summer concert series with bands that were on fair circuits and I saw Herman's Hermits, Air Supply, and Three Dog Night that way.  I have a drum stick signed by the drummer from Three Dog Night.  

My first (and only) concert was DC Talk while I was in college.  Attending was not my choice; I was working.  Not really my kind of music, but it was fun going backstage afterward and meeting the band.

My roommate was a huge fan, though, and was not happy that I was going to the concert for free, while she was broke and couldn't afford to go.  She was thrilled when I scored her a free ticket that someone was giving away because someone in their group didn't show.

• Like 1

My first concert was Joan Baez... when I was in first grade, LOL.  The Beach Boys.  Helen Reddy.  Glen Campbell.  Neil Diamond.  Manhattan Transfer.  Buddy Rich.  Maynard Ferguson.  Benny Goodman.  Chicago.  Elton John.  Jimmy Buffet.  The Buckinghams.  B.B. King.  Probably a bunch of others I've forgotten.  I never did get to see the Eagles. 😕

45 minutes ago, Junie said:

Also, are you a fluent/native Spanish speaker?  Estoy aprendiendo.

I'm a competent speaker, but not fully fluent.  I know the grammar rules and can carry on pretty comfortable conversations, but sometimes I still make mistakes with preterite and imperfect.  I should probably get a native language partner to help me practice.  

• Like 3

Good morning!

And good gravy!! 15 minutes and I’m still not ketchup!

This morning we’ll go to church (the one I grew up and got married in) and then have brunch of some kind and then someone will take me to the airport. 

The Birthday Shindig was very nice. I got to talk with several relatives and some people from my childhood that I haven’t seen in 30 years. The hootenanny came when we were cleaning up and my brother popped a couple of the confetti balloons. 😁

We have lots of leftover food and cupcakes, so y’all are welcome to stop by for some yummies. 

My SIL’s sister has 6 puppies available to adopt and I am considering taking one home in my carry-on. 

Coffee!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

...and here I thought everyone likes Saxon. We may just continue with R&S. Oldest IS improving even if he doesn't like it, but he says he misses CLE. CLE (without a doubt) moves too fast IMO, so I thought Saxon might be worth at least looking at even if we don't end up using it. It's definitely at least resellable from what I'm seeing.

Oh, absolutely. You need to start a thread on the K-8 curriculum board on this. Just title it "Doesn't Everyone Just LOVE Saxon?"

😐

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

We are a Toyota family.

I don’t remember the last concert I went to. I do remember the first one I went to, which was Simple Minds when I was in High School. i

We used to be. We switched to KIA. Check it out. Higher safety and reliability. Better value for price. Big thumbs up here.

8 hours ago, Junie said:

I think my headache just broke.  It's not completely gone, but it is much, much better.

Huh. Never thought having the bazooka in the prayer corner would make such a difference...

(Hiding from lightning strikes now.)

36 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Let me see if I can remember the ones I have been to.  First, and I always forget this one, we saw Charlie Rich or Charlie Pride and I think some female singer at a lake when I was really little.  I don't remember the concert, but I do remember the storm that came out of nowhere, lightning, lots of rain, and the tree blocking the road on our way home.

REO Speedwagon and Survivor (Survivor opened for them) in 1982.

Alabama in 1983.

Michael Bolton in 1992?

Bad Company and Ted Nugent sometime in the 90's.

Hootie and the Blowfish sometime in the 90's, in a field/cow pasture somewhere in Austin, in the rain.

ZZ Top a couple years ago.  Ted Nugent made an appearance there, too.

I think that's it.  Except Tim Hawkins twice.  Does he count?

Tim Hawkins is awesome. He doesn't need to count.

(My first concert was Cyndi Lauper at a county fair. 😳)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I've never been to a concert that wasn't classical music or a choir or something.

If I did go I'm pretty sure I'd have to wear earplugs. I am not at all comfortable with loud noise.

The music that gets played at my house is mostly either Broadway or songs dd16 has heard at the dojo and decided she likes. Kids' choice, I'm not much of a music listener. Mostly because I am either listening to an audiobook or daydreaming my own story in my head. I'm only interested in music if it somehow fits into the story.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mms said:

I shouldn’t be admitting this, but my first and only non classical music/choral concert was the Spice Girls.  It did sour me on live bands for ever.

I’m going to go hide under a rock.

TBH,  I never liked the way bands sound at live concerts. I just went because it was cool, and the atmosphere and the cred.. 

• Like 1

I don’t like live music at restaurants because I’m never really sure what to do. I go to a restaurant to visit with the person or people I am with. If there is music, it seems kind of rude to visit over the music, and it’s hard anyhow because sometimes it’s kind of loud. Not that it happens much anyway. We rarely go out to eat and when we do, the restaurants we choose rarely have live music.

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

I do enjoy community band concerts in the park, though. Years ago we’d go on summer nights to the neighboring town. They had a great community band and I loved it when they played “Stars and Stripes Forever” and “The 1812 Overature”.

Back in PA we had those at the park on my street.  They were great.  And free.  👍🏻

• Like 3

My dad used to have a band, but it was before I was born, so I never heard them play.  They played mostly in bars up and down the East Coast.  My dad played "keyboard" which back in the day meant a Hammond B3 Organ.

He told me that he liked to go to a new venue a few weeks prior to his show, just to get a feel for what the crowd was like.  (e.g. how wild and drunk they were).  He said that one week he heard a really, really good band.  That band later became known as Alabama.

Anyway, many years later my dad became a church organist.  No, he didn't change his playing style. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Junie said:

My dad used to have a band, but it was before I was born, so I never heard them play.  They played mostly in bars up and down the East Coast.  My dad played "keyboard" which back in the day meant a Hammond B3 Organ.

He told me that he liked to go to a new venue a few weeks prior to his show, just to get a feel for what the crowd was like.  (e.g. how wild and drunk they were).  He said that one week he heard a really, really good band.  That band later became known as Alabama.

Anyway, many years later my dad became a church organist.  No, he didn't change his playing style. 😉

That’s awesome.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I’ve never listened to the Spice Girls, except maybe if it was on the radio somewhere and I had no idea what I was listening to.  

My oldest daughter was exactly the right age to be into the Spice Girls right when they were big.  I know all the words to all their songs.  Lucky, lucky me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Morning. Revising. This is the story of my life from now until I never die, because ITT regs.

I went to one concert with friends. I think that's the day I realized that there was something very wrong with me. The noise was overpowering. It was all I could do not to hunker in my seat and shake with my hands over my ears. I was supposed to clap to the music. I couldn't clap in time. I had to watch very carefully the hands of the people around me to do it right. In fact, I was mentally exhausted when we left from trying to imitate people just so I didn't look ridiculous. I hadn't known up until then just how carefully I observed people to get the right social cues so that I didn't look as weird as I felt.

Never went to one again.

I think I was 15 or so at the time? Possibly. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Morning.  I'm being lazy again.  I will do some form of work today.  Probably getting more of the kids school planned ahead since I have all week to work on classes, but I want school for the kids ready for tomorrow.  Although, dh is off so I'm not sure how that will work.   

I guess I should start doing some laundry too.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

TBH,  I never liked the way bands sound at live concerts. I just went because it was cool, and the atmosphere and the cred.. 

The best bands are better live. Third Day was AMAZING live.

Best concert I’ve ever been to was Oingo Boingo at Knott’s Scary Farm on Halloween night. So. Freaking. Awesome.