Menu

Ignore this thread!

14 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Have you seen litcharts.com?  It’s pretty nice for summaries, themes, basic info.  I divided up thr Aeneid into four weeks and the first five books of Nicomachean Ethics into three weeks.  I’m planning on reading and notebooking along, falling back on litcharts if necessary. I came up with an essay assignment for each week (I’d read both books before and I was remembering things as I looked at the materials, maybe that helped).  So, for example her last essay for the Aeneid is to compare/contrast Odysseus and Aeneas, their characters and motivations. The essay topic for books 4-5 of NE is to explain Aristotle’s statement that “in justice all virtue is summed up” and to give examples. 

That looks like a really great site.  Thanks!

Is everything there free, or do you need a subscription?

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

I've been having more pain than usual for the past couple of days.  I'm walking with a more pronounce limp than usual.  Tai Chi this week was pretty hard.  I couldn't shift my weight onto my left foot.  And walking down stairs has been difficult.  Not sure if it's because of the weather, because I hit my leg on something a few weeks ago, or because I (maybe) forgot to take my medicine last week.  Or it could be that the cortisone injections in my foot are wearing off.  Or it could be something else.  Shrug.

I have to do some walking today, but thankfully not a whole lot.

• Sad 4

12 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Dd7 helped me mud. There will be a little more sanding than I like, but not much.  She listened carefully and did a pretty good job, even with the taping!  She wants to be a builder when she grows up.  🥰 

I feel silly for asking, but what is mudding?   I'm sure it's not what it sounds like, which is splattering through mud.

9 hours ago, Spudater said:

Have you seen litcharts.com?  It’s pretty nice for summaries, themes, basic info.  I divided up thr Aeneid into four weeks and the first five books of Nicomachean Ethics into three weeks.  I’m planning on reading and notebooking along, falling back on litcharts if necessary. I came up with an essay assignment for each week (I’d read both books before and I was remembering things as I looked at the materials, maybe that helped).  So, for example her last essay for the Aeneid is to compare/contrast Odysseus and Aeneas, their characters and motivations. The essay topic for books 4-5 of NE is to explain Aristotle’s statement that “in justice all virtue is summed up” and to give examples. 

I "pinned" the site.  It looks very useful.  

I think I need to go through my Pinterest and maybe get rid of some of the older stuff, or at least move it to it's own board or something.   I have 11,839 pins going back to around when we first started homeschooling.  Evidently I was a really early adapter of Pinterest.  Between homescholing, general household stuff, my 4-H Clubs, now teaching I have a LOT of stuff.   Maybe that's a project for this summer. 

Ds gets ingrown toenails easily.  The skin around his toenails comes over quite a bit.  We soak and treat ourselves since they aren't that severe.  (we've discussed with the doctor and that's fine).  

• Like 1

Good Morning.   On today's schedule - kids do school, I finish laundry, maybe do some cleaning, run to the classroom, run to the pharmacy to drop off my inhaler script and see about a renewal for dd's inhaler, to the gym, then back to classroom for tutoring.

We're finally going to do something fun during one of our weeks off!   The kids and I are meeting up with some of the other teens they've gotten to be friends with from classes and doing an escape room.   dd asked if I could do it with them (and they think I'm fun so they're all cool with it  😊), which turns out since she and another are only 12 and they have to have a parent unless they are 13, works out well.   This way I can also help manage ds if things aren't going well.    Should be fun.  

I was hoping to do some outside hiking or something this week but everyday has been/will be either raining or super cold.  Neither is going to get me to go outside so maybe next break (beginning of April).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

When putting up a new wall, you first put up sheets of dry wall, then mud over all the cracks. Once the mud dries, you sand the the mud down so the wall is nice and smooth before priming and painting. For repairing holes in a wall, you cut out a section of the dry wall, then mud and sand in the same manner. It's time consuming but simple enough once you've got a good technique.

We call that Spackle/spackling.  

• Like 5

Got a busy day of revision to do. More cutting. I'll be glad when that's done and I can go back and check all the places that were cut to make sure no major information was cut, and to make sure everything flows properly. This is one of the more onerous bits of writing that I don't like, mostly because it's usually not improving the story, just making it shorter. The difficulty is trying not to harm or irreversibly damage something to chisel off the excess wordage, and that's just a finicky business!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Spudater said:

I read that realistic schedule thread and now I’m wondering if I havea realistic schedule. 

Solution: Stop reading those threads.

No, really. Unless you know for certain that the situation is EXTREMELY similar to your own, it's of absolutely no use anyway.  You're doing great, Spuds. Relax. It's going to be fabulous. And it's going to be over before you know it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I quit reading realistic schedule things some years ago. I'm working full-time writing, the boys are being educated, and so far I still have most of my hair. That's mostly winning. Although I really do need to take everyone down to the traffic place today and get our driver's permit stuff ready, and then I'll need to take some of my writing time off to teach driving. My hair will probably start thinning then. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A quick google looks like spackling can be used to fill holes or smooth out seams between drywall, whereas mudding can only be used on unpainted or unplastered walls because it will only stick to drywall paper.    Mudding tends to be used for larger jobs but spackling can be used as well.  Spackle doesn't sand as easily because it hardens more and doesn't shrink.

Interesting.  I know when dh built our room he used spackle.    Mudding uses joint compound.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 3

I am changing some of this morning's <hearts> to afternoon LOLs.   Amazing what a few cups of coffee will do for me.

All three girls helped with sanding and mudding the wall this morning, so it took 3x longer than it would have otherwise.  But we are done for the day, and showered, and eating a very late tuna wrap with blue chips lunch.  (Except I'm the only one who likes tuna wraps, so the rest are eating.... just blue chips.  Oh well.)

Tonight is Chick-Fil-A! at the mall.  Brought to you by Grandma and her Christmas gift cards to the kids.   Except I'm really not a breaded chicken fan, and since they kicked chicken salad off the menu, I never know what to get.  Seems a bit of a sacrilege, but I may wander over to Cheesecake Factory and get some cow takeout for myself instead. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

A quick google looks like spackling can be used to fill holes or smooth out seams between drywall, whereas mudding can only be used on unpainted or unplastered walls because it will only stick to drywall paper.    Mudding tends to be used for larger jobs but spackling can be used as well.  Spackle doesn't sand as easily because it hardens more and doesn't shrink.

Interesting.  I know when dh built our room he used spackle.    Mudding uses joint compound.

Phew!  We are mudding a new wall, which I've done a lot of in the aftermath of the Great Blizzard of 2015*.  I've always called that "mudding" but didn't really know if it was an official term or just some horribly inappropriate urban dictionary term that I was carelessly tossing about in public. 

*Not really that big a storm.  But it wreaked havoc on our house and our lives for years to come. ITT saved my sanity.  🥰

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Well, if Slache does it, it's totally kosher then! OK!

So I have the following down, keeping in mind portability, cost, and long-term use: (No, we don't know if we are going yet, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.)

Math: Saxon (I'm thinking about making the daily drill sheets as write on/wipe off with wet erase markers. Those wkbks are $35 each!)

Lang Arts: English Lessons Through Literature by barefoot ragamuffin (just decided like 5 mins. ago) I can buy the whole thing as a pdf from anywhere lulu.com works.

Science: BJU dlo (found out we can access it in the UK! Thank goodness! This was my biggest worry. Still going to cost a boatload.)

History: still deciding because if we are there, they really should focus on UK history. I would like to bring one good middle school level USA history and geography resource. We hate Hakim, btw.

Art: Draw, Write, Now series and You Can Draw in 30 Days, plus whatever. I would really like to get the entire set of Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists, too.

Have you used Saxon? It drills incredibly well, in my opinion.

Look at The Virtual Instructor for art.

• Like 1

Revising for the day is done. I always hate getting done early. Makes me think I probably should have scheduled more. But if I do too much, I'll start cutting too hard, and that's a danger I want to avoid. Well, I guess I get to start dinner early. Pizza crusts are in the oven. And I guess I can write extra in my fun story that I'm drafting to keep myself from taking my writing too seriously.  I also could research a place for this latest rejected short story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Well, if Slache does it, it's totally kosher then! OK!

So I have the following down, keeping in mind portability, cost, and long-term use: (No, we don't know if we are going yet, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.)

Math: Saxon (I'm thinking about making the daily drill sheets as write on/wipe off with wet erase markers. Those wkbks are $35 each!)

Lang Arts: English Lessons Through Literature by barefoot ragamuffin (just decided like 5 mins. ago) I can buy the whole thing as a pdf from anywhere lulu.com works.

Science: BJU dlo (found out we can access it in the UK! Thank goodness! This was my biggest worry. Still going to cost a boatload.)

History: still deciding because if we are there, they really should focus on UK history. I would like to bring one good middle school level USA history and geography resource. We hate Hakim, btw.

Art: Draw, Write, Now series and You Can Draw in 30 Days, plus whatever. I would really like to get the entire set of Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists, too.

For history this year, I'm using Our Island Story (HE Marshall).  LIbrivox has the audios available for free, and I think AO has the text available free too, though I bought a print copy. 

My kids love it. It's story-style, much like SOTW. Along with some monarchy cards and memory work and a little map study, they are learning tons and making great connections (with our Chaucer/Shakespeare studies in particular). Would be so fantastic to be in UK while studying it all!

• Like 4

Dd flies out early tomorrow morning.

She hasn't started packing yet.

She's instead spending the entire afternoon at the dojo going over her competition forms.

Which isn't a bad way to prepare for a competition but it does leave me feeling like *I* ought to be doing her packing for her.

ETA anxious mom booyah

Edited by maize
  • Like 5

There is actually a bunch of stuff I do need to do, like making sure she has some cash and a debit card and any phone numbers she might need. And calling my SiL to verify that she has the correct information for meeting her at the airport and getting her to the competition venue. First time ever flying alone, and she has actually only been on a plane once since she was six years old, and that was flying out of our extremely tiny municipal airport. Back when my parents were living overseas we flew with the kids a few times but she was too young to remember much. This time she is flying from one major sorry to another major airport, fortunately nonstop.

Flying doesn't make me nervous, but big airports do. Too big, too many people, too much stress over getting to the right place at the right time.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, maize said:

There is actually a bunch of stuff I do need to do, like making sure she has some cash and a debit card and any phone numbers she might need. And calling my SiL to verify that she has the correct information for meeting her at the airport and getting her to the competition venue. First time ever flying alone, and she has actually only been on a plane once since she was six years old, and that was flying out of our extremely tiny municipal airport. Back when my parents were living overseas we flew with the kids a few times but she was too young to remember much. This time she is flying from one major sorry to another major airport, fortunately nonstop.

Flying doesn't make me nervous, but big airports do. Too big, too many people, too much stress over getting to the right place at the right time.

((maize)) She'll do great! But I understand; I've sent my across the country twice now. I almost died the first time. She had a FAB time, absolutely loved it. I'll bet yours will, too.

• Like 4

Had two really wonderful meetings. These are some very wonderful Christians who are so wise and funny and hard working. We have some really neat ideas for this year’s camp (like escape rooms!) and I am psyched. Then at the end I got a bit teary as I shared some details from what has been an extremely tough year. 

I am on my way home. Stopped at a farm store in the middle of honest to goodness farm country and was amazed at the cool bunny toys. lol. Picked some up for my grandbunnies. 😉

Now I am eating at the surprisingly gluten free restaurant in the middle of honest to goodness farm country. My sugars have been a bit high but not near as high as I thought they might get. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I almost posted in the kiddie pool today, but I'm undecided in so many subjects that I don't know where to begin. I felt awful after I thought I offended everyone EdPo'ing the other day, so I'm personally making a conscious effort not to anymore. I really do get some of my best curriculum ideas here on ITT, though, so I enjoy reading them. It helps me plan and exposes me to some ideas and curriculums I've never heard of before.

Does Chick-fil-A still make chicken skewers? I don't think they were breaded, but grilled? It's been years, but they were sooo good!

I’m not a big grilled chicken fan either. I ended up grabbing soup at panera on the way. DH got a spicy chicken meal and all in all, we only went $2.08 over the gift cards. Woo-Hoo! I’m celebrating with a coffee, and guarding all the lemonade refills while the rest browse about in the Lego store.  (Our only chick FIL a is in a mall)

• Like 2