Menu

Ignore this thread!

If you're only going to have one parking space, you should probably only have one car.

What kind of car do you have now?  (I know you've told us; I just don't remember.)

ETA:  It's a car conundrum booya.  (Without an h -- just for Slache.)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Junie said:

If you're only going to have one parking space, you should probably only have one car.

What kind of car do you have now?  (I know you've told us; I just don't remember.)

ETA:  It's a car conundrum booya.  (Without an h -- just for Slache.)

Toyota Corolla. Want a Siena. Had a Siena before but she was old.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

Can you strap someone to the roof?

No, but in Texas not everyone needs to be in a seat or in a seat belt.

1 minute ago, Junie said:

(((Slache)))

We had a similar problem when I was expecting dd11.

I don't think it's a big deal. I think it'll be easy to get a van and save us money/make us more money. We were in a really bad spot when Barbara broke down, but we have some time to figure this out. We should have gotten a van hybrid instead of Adam, but we had no time and there were none when we looked. Right now we can have one brought in from out of state which takes 2 weeks and we didn't have that.

• Like 3

Good Morning.  Coffee.  So on and so forth.  

Slache, bummer about the hybrid vans not being made anymore - that was starting to sound like a good solution.  How long since they made them?  Can you find one that's a year old or two years old with low mileage?  Does that effect Uber fares if you buy one a year or two old?  Otherwise, I vote for keeping Adam and never going anywhere.  j/k.  On the other hand, it might be nice to have the Uber vehicle separate from the family vehicle - but that's extra insurance and registration every year.  And evidently you'll also need to park it somewhere else.  

• Like 2

Just now, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm here! I've been reading along, I just have nothing much to contribute. My kids have been passing a sickness amongst themselves for 5 days now, and Cheeto's a 2 month old baby, so I'm kinda fried, to the point that Reader is finishing my sentences and supplying missing words for me in conversations. 🤣🤣🤣 I'm doing my best to be positive or be quiet, so I've just been quiet. Still praying for everyone here, though. Every day.

(((Bookie))) ❤️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slache said:

I need car advice. We got our car at sticker price because we were $6,000 in the hole with our van. Our plan was to have this car for a very long time and if you'll remember we were in a really bad place and bought a car very quickly because Matt needed to work. I think 3 days. Now I'm pregnant (unplanned) with a child who will not fit in our car. What would you do? Options we are considering:

1. Trading in for a hybrid van.

2. Buying a $2,000 van on Craigslist, keeping our car.

We think option 1 is best for our family for several reasons including better gas mileage, less insurance, reliable family car. We view option 2 as sort of a backup plan. I will take thoughts on both ideas as well as new ideas.

Thank you.

I'd go with #1 even if you can't get a hybrid van.  Although I think the year or two old idea could be a good one.  

I'm not sure what the benefits of #2 are?   A cheap van is unlikely to be very reliable and you only have one driver in the family, so don't really need two cars.  

• Like 1

Good morning!

I'm sorry I have absolutely no advice for you, Slachey.  I am hoping when our current 12-passenger E350 dies that we can find a used 12-passenger Transit.  

I got my dress pants hemmed last night.  Today I might try hemming my jeans.  Have to watch the youtube video again.  Regular lessons today and kids orchestra tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I'm sorry I have absolutely no advice for you, Slachey.  I am hoping when our current 12-passenger E350 dies that we can find a used 12-passenger Transit.  

I got my dress pants hemmed last night.  Today I might try hemming my jeans.  Have to watch the youtube video again.  Regular lessons today and kids orchestra tonight.

Coffee!

Susan and I are twins! 

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

I’m meeting with another new family today. And I have an IEP meeting for a student. It is so nice to be able to do all this virtually.mwell, not meeting with the new family. I do that in person, but the IEP is over Zoom and that is very convenient.

• Like 3

I have no car advice. I have a 16 year old Sienna with 152,000 miles on it. It’s all scraped up on the sides because our garage bays are so narrow and I have horrible spatial perception. And it lost a hubcap, so it truly looks like an okie-mobile. I am thinking about getting a new car, but DH is hesitant because he doesn’t want me to scrape it all up. I told him he could park and un-park it. Maybe I should get one with smart park.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Coffee!

This is what we did, only it was 15 passenger to 15 passenger. Not that we need that many seats but that was what was available--used market for full size vans can be kind of hit or miss; we took out some of the seats. We had a '94 E350 and got maybe a 2014 transit? I never remember the model year but I think it is from the first year they were available in the US. 

We got the mid roof height on the transit which I love as long as I don't have to park somewhere with mostly parking garages cause we are usually too tall. I do not love the wheel base, which is a bit longer than that of the E350 and makes parking in general difficult.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Slache, are your options going to be limited by Matt's employment status?

No. We are limited because our Sienna was totaled so we bought a new car (never done that) so that the worth of the car would cover our loss. We will have to do that again.

13 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I have a 3 row Ford Explorer and love it. They are good cars and pretty easy to find used. It actually gets better gas mileage than my old Sienna.

There are a few $2,000 Explorers on Craigslist.

8 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I don’t mind a car payment as long as I’m not paying interest. I refuse. Slache- tried CarMax?

What am I supposed to do with this?

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'd go with #1 even if you can't get a hybrid van.  Although I think the year or two old idea could be a good one.  

I'm not sure what the benefits of #2 are?   A cheap van is unlikely to be very reliable and you only have one driver in the family, so don't really need two cars.  

It would need to be a hybrid SUV because a non hybrid would be an additional $400/mo in gas.

When I suggest a $2,000 car I acknowledge the idiocy. We cannot afford another payment and we hardly go anywhere. Our goals include paying off all of our debt and buying an inexpensive home. Both will save hundreds per month, putting us in a very different situation in hopefully 2 years.

• Like 2

A new Toyota Sequoia would raise our car payment, lower our gas bill (that sounds so weird) and raise our income. Obviously if Matt gets a good job that would be a slightly more expensive car payment for no reason, but neither of us believe he could get a job to support us without driving on the side.

The bank that we normally go through for car loans gives us about 2% interest but takes a few weeks to finalize everything. We did not have time for that when our van broke so we have 7% interest on your car. We could theoretically walk away with an SUV with a lower car payment. I don't think we will, but we certainly won't be paying an additional $200 a month or something like that. If we get a cheap van/SUV we will be refinancing Adam. I was waiting for my credit to do a thing and it did, apparently.

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I have no car advice. I have a 16 year old Sienna with 152,000 miles on it. It’s all scraped up on the sides because our garage bays are so narrow and I have horrible spatial perception. And it lost a hubcap, so it truly looks like an okie-mobile. I am thinking about getting a new car, but DH is hesitant because he doesn’t want me to scrape it all up. I told him he could park and un-park it. Maybe I should get one with smart park.

Smaht Pahk!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

I haven't gotten to hemming my jeans because I got distracted switching out purses - my current purse carrying straps are falling apart and I found a thrift store purse in the closet that I'd forgotten about.  So that's done.  Then I remembered that we're having falafel tacos for dinner and needed to make white sauce and tabbouleh, so now those are done.  Curly parsley is a mess to work with.  Then I discovered that the raspberries I was thawing tipped over and it looked like someone had been murdered in my refrigerator drawer so I got that cleaned up and then I spilled pineapple juice from a can in the fridge so I cleaned that up.  Now everything is mostly cleaned up.

What's for lunch?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I've made a decision. We're going to apply through the good bank (Selco, by the way, highly recommend) for a Hybrid SUV, go to the dealer and figure out costs/options. If it's too much we will go the $2,000 route. This will not be this week because I'd prefer to have our tax return in the bank before we walk into the dealership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I haven't gotten to hemming my jeans because I got distracted switching out purses - my current purse carrying straps are falling apart and I found a thrift store purse in the closet that I'd forgotten about.  So that's done.  Then I remembered that we're having falafel tacos for dinner and needed to make white sauce and tabbouleh, so now those are done.  Curly parsley is a mess to work with.  Then I discovered that the raspberries I was thawing tipped over and it looked like someone had been murdered in my refrigerator drawer so I got that cleaned up and then I spilled pineapple juice from a can in the fridge so I cleaned that up.  Now everything is mostly cleaned up.

What's for lunch?

Reservations?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, mms said:

Well technically they do, but the price! 
https://www.chrysler.com/pacifica/hybrid.html

That's a plug in, so no.

8 minutes ago, mms said:

Oh I missed the part about one driver. In that case my vote is for Private sale current car and get van with cash or loan depending on finances.

We will do much better at a dealer than a private sale. Our car is not worth what we owe and they will drop the new car price to cover it. That's how we got stuck with a new car in the first place.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Trying rearranging the day / doing things backwards?

Thanks!  I realized after I read this that Dh has not been covering "breakfast" duty during the mornings as he usually does, which means our schedule the past few weeks has been "backwards" (since I have to cook and can't dive right into teaching duties). 

So this morning DH went back to making breakfast, and DS12 was able to knock out the toughest subjects with me, first thing.  It did the trick, for today anyway!  I think when his lighter, independent subjects are last, then he's more motivated to get 'em done and reach the finish line. I just hadn't realized how that little breakfast thing the last few weeks was interfering so much with our routine. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I have no car advice. I have a 16 year old Sienna with 152,000 miles on it. It’s all scraped up on the sides because our garage bays are so narrow and I have horrible spatial perception. And it lost a hubcap, so it truly looks like an okie-mobile. I am thinking about getting a new car, but DH is hesitant because he doesn’t want me to scrape it all up. I told him he could park and un-park it. Maybe I should get one with smaht pahk.  

FTFY. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I'd be so annoyed if Jim-from-The-Office smaht-pahked his car six inches away from my not-so-smaht driver-side door.     Has no one else thought of this yet?  

The whole system collapses.  And I'm left shoving my kids through the passenger window. 

Someone did this to us, but we could not get in through a window or anything. We went into the store and asked for the owner of the car to come forward. When he did not we said we hit his car and he came forward very quickly. Then he moved his car. He was nasty.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

First pass is done. Took care of the easy stuff. Now I get to tackle the two scenes that need more work. They are printed out so I can think about them and consider what I want to do. Still waiting to hear back about a timetable. But at the rate I'm going, by the time I get one, I might be finished.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, mms said:

Walmart grocery pick up gave me two gallons of expired milk and they want me to return them to the store for a refund. And of course, I didn’t catch it till after we got home. So much for the convenience of ordering my groceries online to save time, not unload five children from the van and stand in line. 😡

So, are we calling you M-M-S or mms like multiyumminess? I like mms. It sounds like a happy Marge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mms said:

Walmart grocery pick up gave me two gallons of expired milk and they want me to return them to the store for a refund. And of course, I didn’t catch it till after we got home. So much for the convenience of ordering my groceries online to save time, not unload five children from the van and stand in line. 😡

I've never had to physically return anything either.  Did you call the local store or the 800 number.  I have had good success with the 800 customer service number.  

4 hours ago, Slache said:

That's a plug in, so no.

We will do much better at a dealer than a private sale. Our car is not worth what we owe and they will drop the new car price to cover it. That's how we got stuck with a new car in the first place.

It may still be cheaper to sell cash, have a small loan to cover being upside down on a new car, and paying cash for the next vehicle. All new cars will be upside down. You'll just have to run the figures though. Most of what ya'll talk about is way over my head since I've never had a car payment. Most of the value of the car is gone within the first 2-3 years, so a slightly older car (3 years old) is financially better.

• Like 2

You know, one time I had like 10 items that didn't show up in my order. I went through and clicked thing after thing after thing and took about $50 off my order. It would have been really easy to take a few things off my order every week to save some money. I always wondered if people did that and I'm wondering now if that's why you have to physically return the milk.