Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Ahem!!  Ahem!!  What are we?  Chopped liver?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I can’t remember what we used for handwriting. Mostly just a pencil and paper.

Same here.

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

Jo's handwriting is awful.

Jo's handwriting in Russian is magnificent.

🤷‍♀️

John's Japanese is so pretty it's ridiculous. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I used Handwriting Without Tears and Sound Foundations tracing pages. Uni Boy’s handwriting is still illegible in cursive or print. I told him he needs to just write in all CAPS like my dad and brothers. He won’t though. He prefers his scrawl.

The main reason I never read what dd17 writes is that I can't read her writing.  Sometimes she can't even read her own writing.  We worked on her pencil hold for years, but finally gave up and she still holds it essentially like a violin bow (pinky closest to the paper). At least she holds her violin bow correctly!

15 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I hate my iPad.  It deleted the whole dang post.

Mine is getting old and crotchety.  Or maybe I'm the one getting old and crotchety.

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

Baby just wants to play all night. 

This should be a song.

• Like 1

Good afternoon!  

I went to many stores this morning.  I am again on a search for The Belt That I Want.  Target doesn't have it.  You know what else they didn't have?  Jean's Famous Black Target Pajama Pants! I was SHOCKED and HORRIFIED!  I wanted to get a pair in gray.  pout.  Aldi had all the foods.  I also bought too much Valentine's Day candy along with some cute heart-shaped cookies.

Coffee!

Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in
That what seems a little nuts might actually save me
From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good afternoon!  

I went to many stores this morning.  I am again on a search for The Belt That I Want.  Target doesn't have it.  You know what else they didn't have?  Jean's Famous Black Target Pajama Pants! I was SHOCKED and HORRIFIED!  I wanted to get a pair in gray.  pout.  Aldi had all the foods.  I also bought too much Valentine's Day candy along with some cute heart-shaped cookies.

Coffee!

I couldn’t find their last time I was there either. Boo!  Hiss!

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

What makes this person second and what makes this person removed?

My cousins (aunt's children) and I are first cousins.  My kids and my cousin's kids are 2nd cousins.  My grandchildren and my cousin's grandchildren will be 3rd cousins.  

My cousin's kids and I are 1st cousins once removed.  We are "one level" apart from each other, if that makes sense.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Matt's on the phone right now explaining to MIL why she will never have the kids alone, again. He's had the same conversation with her multiple times but she continuously seems to randomly forget and tell the kids that she's flying them up for a few weeks. He hates this. He's a good husband.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Slache said:

What makes this person second and what makes this person removed?

Susan's explanation is great 🙂

Technically this is actually a half second cousin once removed--she and my father share a great-grandmother but have different great-grandfathers.

First cousins share grandparents.

Second cousins share great-grandparents.

Third cousins share great-great grandparents.

When two relatives are not in the same generation you count the cousin degree from whoever was in the same generation (older cousin's generation and direct line ancestor of younger cousin, so in this case, the cousin and my father, who are in the same generation as second cousins) then add how many generations down the line, "removed", the younger relative is--only one generation between me and my dad, so once removed. The cousin I was talking to would be a second cousin twice removed to my own children. Her kids would be half third cousins to me since they and I are in the same generation and share a great-great-grandparent and half third cousins once removed to my children (who are one generation down from me). The kids' children would be half fourth cousins to my children--same generation, sharing a great-great-great grandparent.

Clear as mud right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't want to live that long or know that many people.

It doesn't have to involve a super long life. 

My grandmother's brother is fifteen years younger than her, so about eighty now. He lives just a few miles from us and knows my kids-he is their great-great-uncle (or great-grand-uncle), which sounds old and distant but he's about the same age as their grandparents, and he's just my mom's uncle so not far removed from me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok. MIL updates.
1. Not coming in March, probably Thanksgiving. This is much better for us.
2. She still thinks she should be able to take the kids, but the conversation was had.
3. She asked point blank if the reason we moved to Texas was because we don't want to be around her. Matt said we feel that this is where we're supposed to be. Neither of us knows what he should have said.

• Like 3

The most distant relatives I have known were relatives include a guy I took classes with in college who was maybe a fifth cousin--unusual last name that was my grandmother's maiden name and I knew of his grandfather and that he was related to my grandmother before we ever met.

Also, we have determined that dh and I are 9th cousins on four different lines--that's called pedigree collapse and it's what happens when you go back far enough, particularly within a community. Dh and I both have lines that go back to the early American colonies and there just were not that many people around back then and those that were around have a gazillion descendants.

I'm sure if we all traced our genealogies back ten generations many of us in this thread would be related.

So hi cousins 👋

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, maize said:

The most distant relatives I have known were relatives include a guy I took classes with in college who was maybe a fifth cousin--unusual last name that was my grandmother's maiden name and I knew of his grandfather and that he was related to my grandmother before we ever met.

Also, we have determined that dh and I are 9th cousins on four different lines--that's called pedigree collapse and it's what happens when you go back far enough, particularly within a community. Dh and I both have lines that go back to the early American colonies and there just were not that many people around back then and those that were around have a gazillion descendants.

I'm sure if we all traced our genealogies back ten generations many of us in this thread would be related.

So hi cousins 👋

I am guessing that we are related.  My mom's family goes back to the Mayflower.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Junie said:

I'm sure we are! My mom has a couple of lines that trace back to the Mayflower. And one line that we thought went back to the Mayflower but eventually figured out had a false link along the way.

Dh has a line that goes back to someone who supposedly came on the Mayflower but is not documents on that early cottage; we think he may have come on the second Mayflower, a ship that made several voyages starting in 1629.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Apparently about one in five people of Northern Irish descent are descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages. So if anyone else has family from there chances are we share him. 

Very likely--I have a few Irish lines.

Y-DNA has been fun to trace, one grandfather turned out to be a decendant of the Ely Carroll/Clan Cian family of Ireland, tracing back to a fellow named Cian who lived in the fourth century. We've got no paper record for that but DNA doesn't lie.

8 hours ago, Junie said:

8 hours ago, maize said:

I'm sure we are! My mom has a couple of lines that trace back to the Mayflower. And one line that we thought went back to the Mayflower but eventually figured out had a false link along the way.

Dh has a line that goes back to someone who supposedly came on the Mayflower but is not documents on that early cottage; we think he may have come on the second Mayflower, a ship that made several voyages starting in 1629.

I have a book which traces our family back to a woman who came over on the Mayflower, but one of the subsequent voyages.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  I'm having a slow lazy morning but I need to at least start a load of laundry between my two cups of tea.   I need to wash my class clothes, bras and all the towels from my classroom.  I also need to finish planning tomorrows classes and maybe get a jump on the rest of the week.  I'm off next week thanks to President's Day (take off the whole week if any day is a holiday.  Keeps classes on the same schedule until we have snow days.  Makes things less confusing) so I'll be able to do a few weeks ahead then.

I'm Irish (I think Northern), Swedish, German and English.  Dad's side is all English and may have been Mayflowerers.   Mom's side is the mutty one.  

Dh is also Irish, German and English but is Polish instead of Swedish.   

We've never done any DNA or ancestry research or anything so this is all just what family has said.

• Like 3