Menu

Ignore this thread!

6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Sooo the house we saw was dirty inside and out- like can barely see out the windows dirty. They left the shed full of carp. The backyard, attic, garage, and one room still has their stuff in it. Yard is really dead/mud. Their dog chewed up some of the blinds. It also scratched up al the quarter round in the kitchen. The fridge's freezer side is like 6 inches wide and needs a new water filter. The entire place needs paint, not wants but seriously needs. There is water damage creeping up the wall around the window seat in the kitchen. BIG long crack across the living room ceiling where we guess dry wall was done incorrectly. Dark grey paint in the smallest bedroom makes it feel like a dungeon. The yellow is SUPER bright in the dining room. Screws, nails and stick pins everywhere plus holes from screws, nails, and stick pins. We love it! But we are asking if the owners here will sell and for how much cause we promised The Girl we would. I don't know you guys, do I really want to take on that kind of long term project and lose a bedroom in the process?

ADDING: I almost want to go over there and clean it anyway.

Everyone I know who purchased a home like this and did not fix it all before moving in regretted it. This sounds like a pretty simple fix though, even if it is a lot of work.

• Like 1

I'm happy about the outcome of the Super Bowl, even though the team I was rooting for didn't win.  I liked both teams equally well and didn't decide who to root for until the first first down was made.

We recorded the game while we were at church, so we skipped through most of the commercials.  I can catch up with the best ones tomorrow.  I did see the Jeep Groundhog Day commercial.  Loved it.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Junie said:

I'm happy about the outcome of the Super Bowl, even though the team I was rooting for didn't win.  I liked both teams equally well and didn't decide who to root for until the first first down was made.

We recorded the game while we were at church, so we skipped through most of the commercials.  I can catch up with the best ones tomorrow.  I did see the Jeep Groundhog Day commercial.  Loved it.

Well, they both have cute quarterbacks, so that makes it hard to decide.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I love pop tarts.

I never really did. We didn't own a toaster though. I'll bet they're better that way.

23 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I’ve seen it. Amazing!!! I’m glad the Chiefs won. But I did feel sorry for the Niners.

Niners for life!

16 minutes ago, Junie said:

My little girls were rooting for SF because we spent one day there last fall.

Good girls.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Renai said:

I CAN'T FIND MY HERBAL TONICS BOOK! {willynilly}

Check Slachey’s dryer.

(((Slache))) 

13 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Nope, no drugs.  Except Benedryl which I don't think would have the effect you are referring to.

I live in a place where all those stores are within 10 miles/15 minutes of home without traffic.   I literally have 3 Walmarts, 2 Targets, about 10 grocery stores of varying types from gourmet to Aldi's, tons of specialty stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Michaels, and any type of restaurant you could think of in both sit-down, super fancy and counter service versions within 5 miles.   As long as you avoid rush hour, getting things done isn't too difficult.

This is the kind of place I live.

11 hours ago, Spudater said:

There are a lot of bird similes in Jane Eyre. I wonder how many literary analysis papers have been written on “Birds in Jane Eyre.”  

Good for future reference!

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I love pop tarts.

I like to nibble the edges but the filling has always seemed too sweet for me. 

Every once in a while I will buy a box of Twinkies for the kids. Aldi has Valentines Day ones right now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! Cheeto woke up to be fed 20 minutes before the alarm went off. On the bright side, that means I didn't hit snooze, and I got coffee 20 minutes early. 😁

Cheeto is now officially sleeping 5 hours at night. I feel like a whole new person.

Yay for the sportsball season finale! I'm glad it was a good one.

I do not eat pop tarts, or buy them, but my kids know what they are because Dave feels honor bound to introduce them to all the crap food, so they are fully informed or something. We don't have TV (just movies on blu ray or DVD) and miss most of the pop culture crazy, so I consider it a good trade-off.

Paradox, still praying for the right house for you. The Lord knows right where it is, even if the search can be frustrating.

I remember that feeling.  I'm so happy for you. ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  It’s The Queen’s favorite day!

I’m on my glider and typing on my phone with my thumb. 

Any ideas for casual games / activities for an 80th birthday party? Expecting probably close to 100 people. 

Coffee!

Spin the bottle. Twister.  Truth or Dare.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Brown sugar cinnamon poptarts toasted then the icing covered with butter!  Yummmmmyyyyyy!  Haven't had one in years, though!

I only had the fruit ones because my mom said they were healthier. I don't know if she was messing with me or not.

• Haha 1

We used to get the chocolate ones with white filling and icing and then they discontinued them when my kids were young and sort of replaced them with the hot fudge sundae ones, but they're not the same.  We occasionally got the brown sugar ones growing up and I liked those.  I didn't like the strawberry ones until I was an adult (fake fruit is an acquired taste?).  Now we get the hot fudge sundae ones, but we don't have them all the time.

• Like 2

Morning. I want donuts. But all I have is a wake-up headache and hot tea. I guess that's good enough. Also, I'm sobbing my eyes out over a potential short story, while figuring out how to inject more humor into this next section of another short story I'm writing. It's like I'm a ball of emotions for no good reason today. Imma go do some laundry and pretend I'm a mostly sane person and not a writer for a few minutes. 

My kids don't eat poptarts. Mostly because they make their own hot breakfast complete with bacon and coffee now!  (I win). LOL. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Just for a little while. Then they do.

Mine never do.

As in, my 33 month old still doesn't sleep through the night.

None of mine ever did.

They do eventually get old enough that they stop waking me up--somewhere around age four or five.

• Like 2

Jo was an early reader and read the junior version of The Omnivore's Dilemma and just about every Eat This, Not That book by the time she was 7.

She pretty much had to have a crucifix in hand to march down the cereal aisle so she could shriek, "Stay back, Satan!"

And we're not even Catholic.😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

I wonder if the waking and the wanting to be held all the time correlate to being prone to anxiety.  Sometimes I geel like our whole family came with a factory setting of light yellow alert. 

Yes, I absolutely believe this.

And--it could all go back to brain biology. Like the stuff I posted the other day about my kid who we now know has a genetic profile that results in low serotonin (leading to anxiety) and consequently (since serotonin is the precursor of melatonin) low melatonin--leaving to poor sleep.

When my current two year old was a newborn the hospital nurses commented every time they brought him back to me from the nursery that he wouldn't sleep unless someone was holding him the whole time. That, of course, was exactly why I was sending him to the nursery as often as possible--I knew those couple of days in the hospital were the only chance I would have for a long time to get any rest!

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Vent warning:  

I can’t tell if I am sick and while I know that there are 3 or 4 thermometers in this house, I can’t find a single one. But dh just felt my forehead and says no fever.  And my fasting bloodsugars aren’t the worst even if they aren’t the best either. 

So that means a particularly virulent  flare. And the trigger was cleaning my fridge on Saturday.  This, my friends is why I can’t have a clean house. Sigh. It hurts so badly to walk especially up and down stairs. 

Ok vent over. Flares aren’t forever. I will find my inner Xena Warrior Princess again. Onward and upward. (Once I get out of the shower, that is. ) 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

39 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Wow, sorry guys. I was just trying to reassure Slache! Lol. I didn't realize how fortunate I was that my kids sleep 5 hours at a stretch at 2 months. I don't know if that has to do with me co-sleeping or having them in a bassinet so I sleep with my hand on their tummies, but I always thought it probably did. (They also only sleep a 5 hour stretch until they're 3, but they do eventually learn to go back to sleep again on their own unless they have a nightmare or an accident.) Now I feel like I was bragging or something, lol.

Not at all bragging, just different experiences 🙂

Cosleeping doesn't help mine sleep longer but at least I don't have to get out of bed.

• Like 1

First dd - petite, co-slept, ate whenever (I don't remember, it was 20 years ago!), slept all night by 4 weeks

Second dd - not so petite, co-slept, ate all the time (every 1.5 hours), did not sleep through the night until I finally put a stop to the night nursing at 2.5 years old.

• Like 3

I was the baby who forced my mom into cosleeping because I insisted on eating every two hours all night long. I'm thinking anxiety was also a factor when I was young even though I'm not generally a super anxious person--I stayed in my parent's bed long after weaning, long enough to remember me sleeping with my mom and baby sister while my dad slept in a mat on the floor. Once I did start sleeping in my own bed--probably around age three--I remember curling up in a tight ball at the door of the bed with the concerts over my head because being in bed was scary and I was hiding from monsters.

I guess it isn't surprising that my kids don't sleep well.

• Like 1

My son never slept.   Dh used to say that no child of his would ever sleep in his bed (oldest dd used to sleep with me before we got married).  Then ds was born and NEVER slept.  He'd eat really well but just wouldn't sleep.   Dh used to walk with him after he'd nurse so I could get some sleep.   It took about 3 weeks before ds started sleeping with us.    dd slept with us right from the beginning.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm finally home after classes and 4-H today.  Three classes, a few new students in a couple of them.  My physics class is up to 12 kids, 8 of them 14 and older.   We started work on a parade banner in 4-H.   I'm tired.  It always feels worse getting back to things after a week off.  I think when I'm off President's Day week I need to keep to my schedule/routine.  Still get up at 6:30/7:00, have breakfast, go to the science center, do my yoga, then I can do some work there.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

I think my younger ones actually got marginally better behaved bc they had the example of older siblings to prove that things like wearing clothes and not running feral in Mass were actually a thing reasonable humans like children would do and not a cruel conspiracy cooked up by grownups. 

Yes, absolutely. A friend with 9 kids told me it would happen some day, possibly when the oldest was in high school.  She was right in my case, at least.

• Like 1