Menu

Ignore this thread!

14 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok. Who infected me? My head feels like it's full of cement, my nose is plugged, and I'm sniffling and sneezing.

Sounds like you may have what we had last week.

Somebody call the CDC to report virtual transmission of a virus.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Spudater said:

Maybe I should teach this next baby proper letter formation as soon as she’s allowed to use a pencil or something because apparently you give a kid access to pencils for a couple years and they become an expert on handwriting who has to fight you on the formation and placement of EVERY SINGLE LETTER. 

My seven year old doesn't fight me, he seems to just not actually process any instructions I give.

He often makes his letters by starting in the middle, going to the top, then picking up the pencil and starting in the middle again to do the rest of the letter.

He spent all of last year in public school kindergarten and they had no better luck with him than me. Even though I redshirted him and he started kinder at age six.

Can I call this dysgraphia yet?

It's actually been good for my confidence having a couple of kids go to school; when I took my older kids to a neuropsych for testing he put "lack of formal instruction" among his comments as a reason for certain struggles because they were homeschooled.

How very, very odd that my kids who got formal early grades instruction in school struggle with the exact same things....

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo continued:

I just downloaded a sample of the SL IG to preview. Probably not for us. Especially at that price.

Maybe Notgrass with better lit guides for some of the books in their literature package?

I tried SL, bought the instructor's guide and book packages used. 

Tried Tapestry of Grace.

Tried FIAR.

Tried KONOS.

Probably tried others I don't remember.

Finally had to acknowledge that I am never going to actually follow someone else's planned out study.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

Of course if I’m going to do art with Lego Lass I probably should do art with all of them. Otherwise they’re going to be hovering jealously over her and driving her insane. 

But I can’t help picturing art supplies everywhere, baby crying and pooping, chaos reigning, head exploding. 

The irony is I actually like art. I even taught it to a homeschool group for a couple years. 

What do you want to do?

Dd17 taught herself high school art.  I bought some good colored pencils and some sketch pads.

We put one of her drawings on our Christmas cards this year and people were amazed that one of my kids drew it.

I have not done art with any of the others, either.  I just buy supplies and idea books.

#felpful

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

New NFL Bad Lipreading is up.

I cannot tell you how glad I was to see this post. I was beginning to think that the ITT devolved into an educational site or something horrific like that.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

We are down to one bottle of elderberry syrup.  If we can get through Feb., I think we'll be in the clear.

I dunno. I think "if we can make it through December" has more of a ring to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Passport forms filled out x7. Passport fee checks written x7. Passport photos tomorrow x6. Passport appointment made for 14 Feb x4. 
Renewal passport forms ready to mail once pictures are added x2. 
Savings account over $700 lighter.
I’m going to have to drive up to Dallas to do Uni Boy’s. He has no car. According to the online scheduler, there are no passport appointments for all of March.

Slache- I’ll pm you. Thank you!

DS and I had to do passports, too. What a racket they’ve got going there.

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oldest used to do this before formal homeschool began. It worried us that when writing his name, he wouldn't make his letters from left to right, but instead, his letters were in random places all over the page. He was taught in a b&m Pre-K to form letters in a way that drove me nuts. His little 'a' looked like a capital 'Q' and he couldn't remember where to start each letter. I taught him D'nealian as soon as I realized the problem was just the constant picking up of his pencil to make so many different strokes for every single letter. He caught on quick and thought his letters were so cool because they had tails.

In love D'Nealian, have used it from the beginning.

Hasn't made a difference for my kids though, as far as I can tell. Ds14 is still horrible with handwriting.

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

I would take just math and books. This should be about Mom and Dad since it's only a month.

But what books? And frankly, she's done less school this year than any other year. And it's not like school work will take all day. My parents have their things they do too (mom works part time with the church). 

Oh, and they'll be gone for about a week of that time for their anniversary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

But what books? And frankly, she's done less school this year than any other year. And it's not like school work will take all day. My parents have their things they do too (mom works part time with the church). 

Oh, and they'll be gone for about a week of that time for their anniversary.

I meant like just for free reading.

I suppose you could bring the whole shebang and just see what happens every day.

• Like 1

Kids Can Cook is online, so I'm thinking to finally get it done with her, because, apparently, my mom has cooking on the brain.

She will still have Suzuki violin; the lessons will be Facetime with her teacher.

Math.

That's all I got, although I was actually considering doing cursive with her even before reading all your handwriting woes. It's something she's been wanting to learn.

Ok, time for second sleep.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Just finished watching the old Magnum, PI show. I loved it. Very 80’s and helped me understand my dad a bit better as he is a Vietnam vet, too.

In what way?  (My dad was in Vietnam, too.)

Edited by Junie

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I looked at HWOT for Oldest back in the early days, but it wasn't different enough from D'nealian for me to justify the expense. That coupled with the fact that Oldest HATED tracing ANYTHING, made the decision pretty easy. He had his "road map" which is what he called his page with all the letters with little arrows and numbers to tell him where to begin each stroke, and that was that.

My father writes in all caps, too! I wish I could write that way so uniformly. I love the simplicity.

Wonder if I could convince ds14 to switch to all caps? That would actually resolve his two biggest handwriting problems--, the fact that he mixed uppercase and lowercase at random within words and the fact that he never drops below the bottom line--so letters like lowercase g just sit oddly on the line. 

• Like 3

Morning.  I'm enjoying my tea and getting ready to get to work soon.  I have to finish up my books from last year so we can send them to the accountant.  I just have to do December, mileage and a few oddball things and I'm done.   Then, of course finalizing classes for next week.  I did an ad video for Facebook this morning since I have spots open in a bunch of classes.  

I received an email from a new kid from one class yesterday, wanting to talk about the class and ask some questions.  It didn't sound like they were upset about anything, but that particular class is an older group that sometimes has.....interesting discussions.   Part of that is the topic (forensics), part is that they are older, part is that they are a fairly liberal leaning group of kids, two are gay/bi, one has a gay/bi sister, and one is my son who never stops talking.   So, I'm mildly worried about it.  I don't recall anything happening in class other than the usual barely controlled chaos, but not everyone finds that comfortable.   This is kind of the part I hate.  I love teaching the kids and doing the science.  I hate when there may be issues.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Ahem!!  Ahem!!  What are we?  Chopped liver?

I know, right? Parks, swimming...

I'm a little scared of driving around there though. It's been 20 years, and so much has seemed to change! At least everything is still off of just one highway, lol!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

I just signed up 4 kids for summer camp.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with dd9 while everyone else is gone.  I may lose my mind.

Quoting self: I just remembered that I can send her to Camp JJM.  Phew.  Crisis averted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I remember waiting impatiently every Friday night, when I was like 12-13, for that to come on.  Sue Ellen was crazy.

You know, JR is really a monster. In one of the episodes, he and Ray go out tomcatting and the husband and boyfriend of the women they were with track them down and hold them (except Bobby and Jock who save them all in the end) hostage and Sue Ellen has to sit there and deal with the fact that this is what her husband has been doing. And on top of all that , one of the hostages makes SE put on her swimsuit and Miss Texas sash and sing a song, utterly humiliating her, and J.R. just sits there. He doesn’t even care. When it all is over and Jock is comforting Miss Ellie and Bobby is comforting Pam, JR is just standing there looking at Sue Ellen, crumbled on a heap on the floor crying.  It’s no wonder she becomes a crazy alcoholic.

and as an aside, I never know that Tina Louise (Ginger from Gilligan’s Island)  was on the show, too.

Edited by KrissiK