Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 gallons of Panera broccoli cheese soup are done and in the freezer, except what we'll have for dinner on Monday.  Aldi was uneventful.  I even bought blueberries and didn't spill them all over the floor.  I stopped by a thrift store on the way home and found a nice pair of Boston Proper jeans on clearance for $1!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Headache is level is down from a 5 to a 2.  Time to make dinner.  Rotisserie chicken and homemade coleslaw.  I'm hoping that at some point in time I taught dd15 how to make coleslaw because she is this week's meal helper and I don't want to do it.

ETA: Just realized (a day later) that I had a feeling better Booyah.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I have all my classes prepared for next week except the Friday ones.   I'll work on them shortly.  

Stop reminding me of things I have to do! Last week, I could not figure out what to do on the 3rd day of my 3-day prek Spanish class until it was, like, 30 minutes before class! Sigh...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Junie said:

Headache is mostly gone after some Aleve and the fourth shower of the day.

I watched Coco in Spanish and understood most of it.

Coco makes the most sense in Spanish. That's the real reason your headache is almost gone. 😄 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Renai said:

Coco makes the most sense in Spanish. That's the real reason your headache is almost gone. 😄 

I haven't watched it in English yet.  I think that I won't like it as much in English, but I can't imagine that my family will like it in Spanish.  I will be interested to see how much I actually missed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Junie said:

I haven't watched it in English yet.  I think that I won't like it as much in English, but I can't imagine that my family will like it in Spanish.  I will be interested to see how much I actually missed.

There are some cultural nuances that don't translate to English. I don't remember if I watched in English, I'm pretty sure I have. I just remember the actors talking about it, because most of them are native speakers and a lot of them did their own dubbing in Spanish. I thought that was pretty cool to know.

• Like 3

I enjoy watching movies in Spanish (and sometimes French) but I'm kind of picky about which movies I watch in which language.

I can watch most movies in English or Spanish (although my Spanish comprehension is much better if I have visuals), but I have a few movies that I have not been able to watch in Spanish (yet).

For instance, Pride and Prejudice or Emma -- English only.

Beauty and the Beast -- English or French.

• Like 2

Morning.  Need to run out to stores today for produce and sand.  and powdered sugar, and orange soda, and food coloring.  All for classes.

Dd is still sick.  Very very slight fever but she's got a very gunky sounding cough and sore throat.  She's eating and drinking well, and fairly energetic so I'm not too worried that it's more than just a cold, but it looks like she's going to miss the first day of classes tomorrow.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Today is a palindrome!  02/02/2020!!

(The last one was Jan. 1st, 1010.)

Coffee!

Ooh, this is great!

I love the fact that the palindrome works no matter which date format is used--month, day, year (almost exclusively American); day, month, year (most common worldwide), or year, month, day (official international standard).

Of course with that one you get 20200202--which looks cooker to me 🙂

• Like 4

We survived the first day of February. Now to survive the rest of the month.

Kids did great at the feis except that dd16 didn't place as well as she hoped and there is a lot of big emotion surrounding that fact. Dance has always been very emotionally fraught for her.

It doesn't help that her brother puts in a fraction of the work she does but always places higher. There's some boy advantage involved in that--not a ton of boys competing so they stand out. At the regional level and up boys and girls competitions are separate but they can't do that at the local/state level or the boys would have no one to compete against. They weren't competing in the same divisions but he placed higher in his divisions than she ever has in hers.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

No COFFEE!!!~D yet. Gotta wait till we go down to breakfast. We left the balcony door open last night because our room was so warm and woke up to a group of raucous seagullls.it’s so foggy out this morning you can’t see the ocean, but we can hear it. Yesterday the weather was gorgeous. We went hiking at this state park called Montaña de Oro. It was “hiking” in the loosest sense of the word. Just a bunch or walking trails in the cliffs overlooking the ocean, but it was just gorgeous. The ocean is my favorite place to be. Had a good dinner last night in Morro Bay. Then we came back to the room and watched movies. This one station had all these ‘80s movies on.... we watched half of Ferris Butler and Back to the Future, but the commercials were awful. They would show part of the movie and then I counted a block of 18 commercials in a row. It was awful. We would have changed the stations, but we liked that movie. This morning we’re going to have breakfast and then do a little shopping for the kids and go home. We want to get home in time for the Super Bowl.

• Like 7

My house is in utter disarray. Matt has completely given up putting things away. When he changes the water bottle he leaves the empty one next to the cooler. Every time he gets something out he just leaves it. Piles on every surface including the dryer. No where to get any work done. I am so tired. I can't bend over without vomiting. My joints hurt with every movement. My nose bleeds constantly. I have blood on my clothes and pillows. I've had a migraine for days. I am so tired. I have no idea how we're going to move.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

I have not yet decided who I want to win the Super Bowl.  I might have to just start watching and go with my gut.

When I was in college, I had a job that prevented me from watching the first half of Monday Night Football.  If I didn't prefer one team over the other, I just rooted for whoever was behind at halftime.  I might have to employ that strategy tonight.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  Need to run out to stores today for produce and sand.  and powdered sugar, and orange soda, and food coloring.  All for classes.

Dd is still sick.  Very very slight fever but she's got a very gunky sounding cough and sore throat.  She's eating and drinking well, and fairly energetic so I'm not too worried that it's more than just a cold, but it looks like she's going to miss the first day of classes tomorrow.  

Gymnast has that same cough. It woke us all up at about 3:30 this morning. Well, it didn't start out gunky. We did all the remedies to get it up to gunky so it would start coming up and out instead of staying congested in her lungs. We finally got back to bed around 5am. I'll probably keep her home tomorrow as well, because she has a tendency of being fine, until she's not (spending too much time outside, overexertion, whatever), then she's sick for days.

I need to get the ingredients for the blood-building soup I used to make every winter. Dh mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. He must have seen the future. I also need to refill my herb jars: yerba buena, manzanilla, and some others. Manzanilla (chamomile) is really good with loosening phlegm. How am I to refill my herbs tomorrow with Gymnast in tow? She can't be out too long. Should she wear a mask? (as not to make anyone else ill)

• Like 5

(((sick ITT kidlets))).    Ducklings have passed around a nagging cough, too.  A few have had super brief, super low fevers, too.

Church this morning, and now chicken chili for lunch.  I'm not sure if we will watch the Super Bowl or not. DH might take the kids out instead, in which case I'd try to get some prep done for the upcoming week. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, maize said:

The choir sang "It is Well With My Soul" in church today; such a lovely hymn. It isn't in our hymnal so I don't hear it often.

Do you know the story behind it?

I don't remember the specifics, but a man found out his wife and kids were lost at sea so he sat down and wrote the song.

Good man.

• Like 5

I'm back.  Went to BJs, Home Depot, grocery store, got lunch at Cracker Barrel (dh was craving biscuits and gravy, CB is NOT the place to go to for Sunday lunch, super busy), ran to the library to pay a fine that was keeping me from ordering books from the new closer library.   Now, I'm just hanging out.  I planned all classes except Fridays, set up school, printed out a bunch of flyers and brochures, finalized and posted summer camp plans, now I'm finalizing tentative class schedule for next year.  Can I call it finalizing if its tentative?  It's only tentative in case I change my mind or someone asks me to change something between now and June.  Once June hits, it's no longer tentative.  Except if no one registers for a particular class, then I'll change it.  

4-H tomorrow night but we're going to work on a new banner for the parades since the first one we do is St. Patrick's Day and we only have one February meeting for this club because of President's Day.  So, not much planning, just buying supplies and that's done. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm back.  Went to BJs, Home Depot, grocery store, got lunch at Cracker Barrel (dh was craving biscuits and gravy, CB is NOT the place to go to for Sunday lunch, super busy), ran to the library to pay a fine that was keeping me from ordering books from the new closer library.   Now, I'm just hanging out.  I planned all classes except Fridays, set up school, printed out a bunch of flyers and brochures, finalized and posted summer camp plans, now I'm finalizing tentative class schedule for next year.  Can I call it finalizing if its tentative?  It's only tentative in case I change my mind or someone asks me to change something between now and June.  Once June hits, it's no longer tentative.  Except if no one registers for a particular class, then I'll change it.  

4-H tomorrow night but we're going to work on a new banner for the parades since the first one we do is St. Patrick's Day and we only have one February meeting for this club because of President's Day.  So, not much planning, just buying supplies and that's done. 

I don't understand how you have time for ITT. Do you like, do drugs instead of sleeping or something?

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't understand how you have time for ITT. Do you like, do drugs instead of sleeping or something?

Nope, no drugs.  Except Benedryl which I don't think would have the effect you are referring to.

I live in a place where all those stores are within 10 miles/15 minutes of home without traffic.   I literally have 3 Walmarts, 2 Targets, about 10 grocery stores of varying types from gourmet to Aldi's, tons of specialty stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Michaels, and any type of restaurant you could think of in both sit-down, super fancy and counter service versions within 5 miles.   As long as you avoid rush hour, getting things done isn't too difficult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

The choir sang "It is Well With My Soul" in church today; such a lovely hymn. It isn't in our hymnal so I don't hear it often.

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Do you know the story behind it?

I don't remember the specifics, but a man found out his wife and kids were lost at sea so he sat down and wrote the song.

Good man.

One of my all-time favorite hymns.  I've been to his grave in Jerusalem, actually.  (By accident.  I didn't know much about him until I stumbled across that.)

• Like 4

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

Author: Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Slache- the poem made me cry. About moving- will your Church family help? I can probably drive over with at least one good helper. I’m serious- it’s not that far.

We're meeting with some members tomorrow to come up with a game plan. It's really bad and I asked for help a few days ago. I think I'll probably be ok after this. Thank you. I will let you know if that changes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Have you seen the studio C sketch called “You’re So Lucky” about the moms one-upping each other?  It’s hilarious. Your comment made me think of it bc once I got into a conversation with moms bragging their children didn’t know what boxed cereal was. I thought of sharing it with them, but it would have seemed a little...pointed. 😅

I could totally win any diet one-upping because of my allergies. It sucks, but it's been so great for the kids. People see how they eat and they're like "you're such a good mom!" and I'm like "Yes. Yes I am. We'll go with that."

:cool:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

My kids throw up if they eat Pop-Tarts. And besides- frozen Toaster Pastries are waay better!

Oh! Oh! Like, with fruit? In the frozen section? And you had to put the frosting on yourself? I remember those!

5 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

This is annoying. I guess that’s the point.

Yes.

• Like 1