Menu

Ignore this thread!

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

From what I've read on the internet it doesn't matter unless it gets in your food which is not a problem here. Do you disagree?

Ugh.  Grossness.

I have no idea, as I really didn't worry about it when the allergist told me (no roaches here).  But I DO react to any clean-up of mouse poo (respiratory, eyes, nose reactions) so I've assumed that I'm breathing in particles. A mask does seem to reduce the reaction. Couldn't that happy with roach poo, too? Eating it seems to be an unlikely scenario for most people.  

Though I suppose if they are undetected in your food supply, that could be a problem.  Oy.  Time for a new topic!

Edited by lots of little ducklings

54 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

It rains inside.  This probably means there is mold and mildew inside the wall and ceiling and all over the place.

THIS. This is very likely. It's probably between the insulation and frame or something. I am highly suspicious of our own walls (well, what's inside of them...).

Even my sinuses are acting up, and I'm not horribly allergic to plants. But elm might actually be pollinating now, and red cedar is in February, and then I have maple trees (and I am a little allergic to them). Basically, in the South, many, many, many trees that are not insect pollinated do their thing early.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Ugh.  Grossness.

I have no idea, as I really didn't worry about it when the allergist told me (no roaches here).  But I DO react to any clean-up of mouse poo (respiratory, eyes, nose reactions) so I've assumed that I'm breathing in particles. A mask does seem to reduce the reaction. Couldn't that happy with roach poo, too? Eating it seems to be an unlikely scenario for most people.  

Though I suppose if they are undetected in your food supply, that could be a problem.  Oy.  Time for a new topic!

Cockroaches in food is the problem with cockroaches. We keep all of our food in Ziploc bags and wash our dishes before we use them. The main reason we're moving!

17 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

What about stress?  Was the trip relaxing?  

Lol! Nope!

16 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Also, did traveling cause you to eat differently?  Or eat less?  Or stay upright so food stayed down?(  😂

I ate horribly. Which normally makes me feel better.

3 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Is it bedtime yet?

Yes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

What exactly was different when you say you were "better." Because I notice we are all assuming air quality as the main factor. So, what was different?

Nausea, vomiting, headaches.

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

If ya'll decide to look for me, I'll be in Texas.

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

Recipes.

Yeah, and then, you find a couple of recipes to use the random ingredients, and then when the random ingredients are used you remember the original ONE recipe that used all the seemingly random ingredients and have to go out and get more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Slache said:

Cockroaches in food is the problem with cockroaches.

LOL.  Now that I think of it..... Of course! Can you tell my experience with cockroaches is limited?   

Ugh.....I think I'll stay safely here in the north. 

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

Gorgeous weather year round.

Awesome wildlife.

Bugs are not an issue if your apartment doesn't suck.

Thunderstorms.

No extreme weather except for that one time Mary flew away.

Awesome beaches.

I love this caveat. Texas is completely perfect except for that one time it tried to eat my only daughter. No biggie.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Where do you live again? Any oil companies up there?

Massachusetts.  No oil. (Or rather, if there was oil, no one could ever drill for it.)  

But we have leaves in the fall!  And gorgeous beaches!  And oceans without sharks!  And cobblestone and history and Mrs. Mallard and all her ducklings! (Not mine, but the ones all in a row in Boston Garden.  Mine are not all in a row, ever.)

9 months of snow may have been a January-induced exaggeration.  

• Like 3

According to allergy testing I'm allergic to all bugs, all things furry, feathery or fuzzy, all trees, all grasses, all flowers, all bushes and most foods

I has beaches, mountains, and wildlife

No biting ants or poisonous spiders

Only 2 poisonous snakes

No flying cockroaches

Occasional hurricane, very rarely tornadoes, even rarer earthquakes.

• Like 3

Workshop went well.  Kids had fun, mom seemed impressed.  About 40 minutes away and I got home too late to go to the gym with dh and ds.  Oh darn.  

Okay technically if I skipped coming home and went directly to the gym, I probably could have gotten there the same time they did since they had to drop dd at tkd.  But I didn't want to.  So there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Massachusetts.  No oil. (Or rather, if there was oil, no one could ever drill for it.)  

But we have leaves in the fall!  And gorgeous beaches!  And oceans without sharks!  And cobblestone and history and Mrs. Mallard and all her ducklings! (Not mine, but the ones all in a row in Boston Garden.  Mine are not all in a row, ever.)

9 months of snow may have been a January-induced exaggeration.  

You're choosing to live somewhere that cockroaches can't even survive! And your your beaches are cold!

I do like the snow. I love it actually. People always respond to that with "that's because you don't drive" but I don't care. I love the snow.

2 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

According to allergy testing I'm allergic to all bugs, all things furry, feathery or fuzzy, all trees, all grasses, all flowers, all bushes and most foods

Only 2 poisonous snakes

No flying cockroaches

My husband does not know that cockroaches can fly and if he did he probably would not have moved here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slache said:

You're choosing to live somewhere that cockroaches can't even survive! And your your beaches are cold!

I do like the snow. I love it actually. People always respond to that with "that's because you don't drive" but I don't care. I love the snow.

My husband does not know that cockroaches can fly and if he did he probably would not have moved here.

Exactly!  The only good cockroach is a dead cockroach.  And the only good beach is a cold one.  

We do have green heads in August.  They are like a bloodthirsty horsefly with PMS, and they travel in packs of about a billion.  But they are limited to a few marshy beaches, and only active in August when the beach is too hot for my taste anyway.  

Our best beach day ever was in February last year.  Took our shoes off and had "standing in snow pile" contests.  

2 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Exactly!  The only good cockroach is a dead cockroach.  And the only good beach is a cold one.  

We do have green heads in August.  They are like a bloodthirsty horsefly with PMS, and they travel in packs of about a billion.  But they are limited to a few marshy beaches, and only active in August when the beach is too hot for my taste anyway.  

Our best beach day ever was in February last year.  Took our shoes off and had "standing in snow pile" contests.  

I don't think you understand how the beach works.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I know that some people like living in the north and that some people like living in the South, but a lot of our (Matt's) old friends have actually been offended by the fact that we like living in the south. Like enjoying the 90 degree weather at the beach and not having to shovel snow is offensive to them and they get angry with us. I'm sure there's something here that I'm missing, but I don't know what it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I know that some people like living in the north and that some people like living in the South, but a lot of our (Matt's) old friends have actually been offended by the fact that we like living in the south. Like enjoying the 90 degree weather at the beach and not having to shovel snow is offensive to them and they get angry with us. I'm sure there's something here that I'm missing, but I don't know what it is.

We joke about wimpy snowbirds in our family/church, but it's all in good fun.  I can't imagine why someone would truly be offended.  There's a reason we all vacation in Florida. 

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Well, now that I think about it I think it's all his family. I guess that makes sense...

Aha! 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Slache said:

I love this caveat. Texas is completely perfect except for that one time it tried to eat my only daughter. No biggie.

21 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Only 2 poisonous snakes

No flying cockroaches

Speaking of earthquakes, apparently Eldorado (is it a part of Santa Fe, or an offshoot, who knows?) had an earthquake yesterday. 2.9. I didn't know about it until I read it on FB.

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

I like the snow, and I drive, so there.

I was also almost blown away by the wind once in Texas.  I don't remember where I wanted to go, but I left the house and fought the wind for about a block and a half until I finally completely gave up and turned around and the wind pushed me back home and in the door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Renai said:

I was also almost blown away by the wind once in Texas.  I don't remember where I wanted to go, but I left the house and fought the wind for about a block and a half until I finally completely gave up and turned around and the wind pushed me back home and in the door.

It's totally a thing here! I thought that it was some kind of a freak accident but almost everyone at church knew it happens. If the temperature drops rapidly you have to hold on to your children and belongings. Mary and Alex are both about 40 lb. Alex would have blown away if Matt wasn't holding him, Mary did blow away and John was knocked to the ground and rolled into the street. It was really scary! Apparently the wind knocks over planes here, too

Svengo.

• Sad 1

Just now, Paradox5 said:

I lived in NJ as a teen. Dad was Exxon. The kids/people were horrible but it was beautiful.

Yes. I have lived a lot of places and if you're looking at the general population the south has the best people. My favorite individuals are all northerners but if I have to go to the store I'm doing it in the south.

• Haha 1

We think that whatever is making me sick is in the living room. I got rid of an old, moldy accordion up and asking my husband to get rid of for years.

Alex has decided to join the Army.

6 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

I’m not.

I am.

3 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I like cold beaches. 

:ohmy:

No.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Slache said:

Does anyone in the thread like cold beaches if they like going in the water?

I don't.  It has to be pretty warm for me to want to get into the water.   I have pictures of dh and the kids swimming when it's 55 degrees out on Memorial Day (so water was still pretty darn cold too).   I was sitting on the beach in sweat pants and a hoodie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Snow 9 months of the year.

But no poisonous snakes.  

No biting ants.  

No cockroaches. 

No major floods.

No major hurricanes.

No cyclones.

And tornadoes are rare. 

Who told you there are no cockroaches in Massachusetts?  They lied to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1