Menu

What's with the ads?

My ^dd^ had allergy testing done as an infant—prick test + labs. It’s not bad at all, except the distracting from itching part.

After watching what my preemie dd went through (iv in her scalp, intubation, ng tube, etc.), babies are remarkably hardy and adaptable creatures. They can go through a lot with no lasting trauma. 

Re nuts and gluten: many gluten free facilities also process nuts as nuts are also inherently GF. With the popularity of almond flour and coconut flour, we have had to call and ask questions about protocols.

• Like 1

Cute or obnoxious?

Eta: In my siggy.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slache said:

What do you see? Just a link?

There's a small square icon followed by the words turtle.gif

MIL has sent a series of benign, off topic text messages indicating that she's not mad anymore. Tomorrow I will send cute kid pics and all will be well again, as per usual. She's just so much fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am wide awake again. I guess this is my new thing. I need a different thing.

Edited by Slache
  • Sad 4

Go to bed Baby! 

I think I'm going to give up and have the first coffee. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Slache - cute!

(((Paige)))  Get a nap later!

(((Krissi)))  Yay for package!  Boo for summer and dinner and brown skies!

COFFEE!!!

• Like 5

Good Morning.

Happy Monday.  Oh wait.  Let's try this again.  Happy Tuesday!

#early

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning! I am exhausted. Happy payday! The bills are long but the checks are short.

49 minutes ago, Junie said:

Both.  ?

Accurate!

• Like 5

8am and Baby is asleep! 

Hmm...sleep or be an awake parent for other kids? It was so much easier when I had an only child. I bet my teens won’t wake for hours anyway since it’s still early, so sleep! It must be nice to be a teen during summer and sleep 12+ hours!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Paige said:

8am and Baby is asleep! 

Hmm...sleep or be an awake parent for other kids? It was so much easier when I had an only child. I bet my teens won’t wake for hours anyway since it’s still early, so sleep! It must be nice to be a teen during summer and sleep 12+ hours!

I must be a mean mom.  I get my kids up at 8:30.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

My kids are up between 6:30 and 7 all year. Except when we’re at Grandma’s. Mwaaa ha haaaaa!

• Like 2

Good morning!  I'm up, but want more sleep!  I stayed up too late, reading.  

!

Work job #2 then an hour or two at job #1!

Please keep a friend of mine in your prayers.  She lost her sister yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Still tired.

18 minutes ago, Junie said:

My kids are mean. They get me up at 7.

17 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Today is my last day of ITTing on my phone!  

Why? Going home?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

? sleeeeeepy. Still couch-sleeping bc poor DH just can't sleep from rib pain and his wakefulness keeps me up.

Had a chat with DH last night where he commented that he'd love to see me playing with the kids more, as opposed to educating, delegating tasks, and generally being Boss Mom. Sigh. Guilty as charged. I am not the world's most playful person to be honest... I was a bit isolated as a child and the things that kids do for fun just really aren't fun for me. But I know this is an area where my stepmothering game needs serious improvement. I don't want DS and DD to grow up with zero memories of having fun with me. So today I'm gonna try to come up with one thing to invite each kid to do together. Things they would want to do rather than what I'd choose. I think I can, I think I can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

We’re Doing VBS again today. I volunteered to teach the memory verse so last night the girls and I went to the Dollar Tree and got stuff for a prize box.

Hot and smoky again today. I’m not sure how much of the fires have made national news, but the Carr Fire, way up in Northern California is really really bad. We aren’t getting that smoke, our smoke is from the fire by Yosemite and the one in Sequoia, but the Carr Fire is just a monster and it’s actually in a city, as opposed to the mountains, where some of the other fires are. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

? sleeeeeepy. Still couch-sleeping bc poor DH just can't sleep from rib pain and his wakefulness keeps me up.

Had a chat with DH last night where he commented that he'd love to see me playing with the kids more, as opposed to educating, delegating tasks, and generally being Boss Mom. Sigh. Guilty as charged. I am not the world's most playful person to be honest... I was a bit isolated as a child and the things that kids do for fun just really aren't fun for me. But I know this is an area where my stepmothering game needs serious improvement. I don't want DS and DD to grow up with zero memories of having fun with me. So today I'm gonna try to come up with one thing to invite each kid to do together. Things they would want to do rather than what I'd choose. I think I can, I think I can.

Don’t feel bad, EG. I don’t play with my kids. I hate games. But I do try to interact, which I think is good enough. Teaching them to cook or helping them do something, or just plain talking periodically throughout the day.... I get so tired of the word “fun”. Maybe it would be easier if you just focus on “building relationships”, whatever that may look like.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

TBH, I didn't play with my children, either. I nursed them, co-slept with them, hugged them freely with abandon, read aloud to them (but not at bedtime, because it's time to GO TO BED), gladly homeschooled them, was a Camp Fire leader for them, was a dancer mom for them, did weekly field trips...but I did not *play* with them. :-)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Don’t feel bad, EG. I don’t play with my kids. I hate games. But I do try to interact, which I think is good enough. Teaching them to cook or helping them do something, or just plain talking periodically throughout the day.... I get so tired of the word “fun”. Maybe it would be easier if you just focus on “building relationships”, whatever that may look like.

2 minutes ago, Ellie said:

TBH, I didn't play with my children, either. I nursed them, co-slept with them, hugged them freely with abandon, read aloud to them (but not at bedtime, because it's time to GO TO BED), gladly homeschooled them, was a Camp Fire leader for them, was a dancer mom for them, did weekly field trips...but I did not *play* with them. ?

Maybe it's a moms versus dads thing. DH's ex left the family shortly after DD11 was born, and then he had nearly a decade of single-fathering before he and I got married, so he never really had an opportunity to witness "mothering" that wasn't totally toxic.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I was never the "fun" one.  That was dh.  Everyone knows that!  I hate toys and games, and did even as a child.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Maybe it's a moms versus dads thing. DH's ex left the family shortly after DD11 was born, and then he had nearly a decade of single-fathering before he and I got married, so he never really had an opportunity to witness "mothering" that wasn't totally toxic.

(((egao and family)))

I'm not a "playing" mom either.  Nor am I good at teaching them to cook.  Nor most other things that look like relationship building.  Dh is better at that stuff than I am.  I played with oldest when he was little and there wasn't much else to do.  We built with blocks and set up army men and had battles.  I didn't do that with anyone else because there was never time or energy and by then there were other kids in the family they could play with.  Anyway, what I'm taking a long time to say is that, I just have to be the Mom I am, for better or for worse.  Yes, I can work on some of my short comings.  Yes, I can realize mistakes I've made and try to change or correct them.  But I have to be me.  And I'm okay with that.  And I think they are too.  ❤️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I was never the "fun" one.  That was dh.  Everyone knows that!  I hate toys and games, and did even as a child.  

Ha!  You said it better than I did!  Same here!  

• Like 2

I have spent over an hour fighting with the validate window for my camp project. I may lose this year simply due to technical difficulties. I hate, hate, hate, fighting my internet, my phone, and a website at the same time. Blech.

I may go to the river and sulk today, but I need to print out another chapter and bring it with me to work. Sigh.

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

We’re Doing VBS again today. I volunteered to teach the memory verse so last night the girls and I went to the Dollar Tree and got stuff for a prize box.

Hot and smoky again today. I’m not sure how much of the fires have made national news, but the Carr Fire, way up in Northern California is really really bad. We aren’t getting that smoke, our smoke is from the fire by Yosemite and the one in Sequoia, but the Carr Fire is just a monster and it’s actually in a city, as opposed to the mountains, where some of the other fires are. 

My friend's family and friends are all in Redding. It's pretty brutal. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not the fun one either.

We're moving before I can climb Mount St Helens or Hood. I need a new fitness goal to train for. Idears? Susan?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I have spent over an hour fighting with the validate window for my camp project. I may lose this year simply due to technical difficulties. I hate, hate, hate, fighting my internet, my phone, and a website at the same time. Blech.

I may go to the river and sulk today, but I need to print out another chapter and bring it with me to work. Sigh.

You're still a winner in our book!  Stupid tech!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slache said:

We're moving before I can climb Mount St Helens or Hood. I need a new fitness goal to train for. Idears? Susan?

America Ninja Warrior!  :smile:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

You could train to do all 15 miles of the Mission trail in one day: https://www.sara-tx.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SARIP-Full-Map-2017-web11.pdf  It takes you through all of the Missions along the San Antonio river. It's actually kind of cool (though not literally--plan to do this between November and May!).

I'm looking for something between spring and fall 2019. Fitness notes from my "100" dreams list:

• Texas Water Safari (not right now)
  • Mississippi Coastal Marathon (in December)
  • Climb Mount Hood (not buying plane tickets)

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

You could train to do all 15 miles of the Mission trail in one day: https://www.sara-tx.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SARIP-Full-Map-2017-web11.pdf  It takes you through all of the Missions along the San Antonio river. It's actually kind of cool (though not literally--plan to do this between November and May!).

Me likey!

Whee, email from WTM promoting big sale on language arts products starting tomorrow!! Luckily I didn't leap on buying GfortheWTM yet! ?

• Thanks 1

Not putting anyone with a different personality/ priorities down but I love to play.  I had toys even before I had kids.  I am known as the "grandma" at the Y who goes down the slide at the pool.  It wasn't always easy to play with my kids (due to pain stuff) but it was a priority for me.  Play is important to kids.  And connecting to my kids through play was important to me.  Even with my teens I play when allowed.  (In fact, on Runescape a lot of kids sought out this weird middle aged mom to talk to and go on quests because their moms would never do something like that with them and it was something that I think they craved.  (I lose in all the housekeeping and academic rigor contests though.) 

• Like 5