Menu

What's with the ads?

49 minutes ago, Paige said:

I purged my clothes and the girls are stunned at how much I am getting rid of and how much I have left, yet I think I probably could have ditched more if I went strictly by what I love. I still need pantz, though, even if I don't love it. It was kind of hard to decide because the past 18mos have included pregnancy and weird postpartum body changes that are probably still not finalized. So I kept big, medium, and small for me pants just in case I need any of them after weaning which would probably be sometime next year. 

I should have taken a picture before the girls went through and grabbed what they wanted and before I bagged it up. It's kind of shameful how much I had! Good news for the girls is that the 90s are coming back in style! 

"When did you last wear this, Mom?" That'd be about 1998....?

Not shameful at all.  Pre-preg, Maternity, post-partum....  that's probably at least 4 wardrobes!  Good for you!  

It's a "Hooray for purging" booyah!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paige said:

I keep rescuing clothes from the bags...

STOP!

• Like 1

It looks like we'll be using uhaul pods. It will cost roughly $200 more than our cheapest option and be way less of a hassle. One major selling point of this particular company is that we get to pick the delivery date.

Matt's making us watch The Alamo. It's awful.

• Like 3

Hey, before I go swimming in the sea, have any of you used Apologia General Science?  I’m a little annoyed with myself after all the effort I put in tracking down and planning out Conceptual Physical Science, but after really looking at it I started to worry that it would be too hard for Lego Lass, and now she has the opportunity to do First Lego League (time consuming!) so I’m even more concerned that it would just be too much.  My original backup plan was to do McHenry’s Carbon Chem but looking at it almost every chapter has them doing a ton of internet research which I don’t want to have to supervise.  Also, after seeing how it’s been for dh teaching math to her this year I’ve given up the idea of him being able find time to help teach science.  So Apologia looked like something I could potentially handle, and I liked that if it’s working and no one is wanting a STEM degree I can just stick with it all the way through high school...I really need to cut down on the number of subjects I couture the living crap out of.  Am I going to be drowning in “experiments”?  How much Scripture is there?  I mean, I like that it’s Christian but some of 5he samples I’ve run across seem a bit cheesy, like, stop and look up in this psalm what it says about stars...I just don’t feel like it’s a good use of time in science class, I’d rather they were praying the psalms and be able to draw from a rich background of knowledge to increase their wonder, if that makes any sense.  How much of the extra shtuff did you find useful/necessary?

Everyone at the Alamo is drunk. This is why we lost. We should refrain from doing that in the future.

11 hours ago, Spudater said:

Hey, before I go swimming in the sea, have any of you used Apologia General Science?  I’m a little annoyed with myself after all the effort I put in tracking down and planning out Conceptual Physical Science, but after really looking at it I started to worry that it would be too hard for Lego Lass, and now she has the opportunity to do First Lego League (time consuming!) so I’m even more concerned that it would just be too much.  My original backup plan was to do McHenry’s Carbon Chem but looking at it almost every chapter has them doing a ton of internet research which I don’t want to have to supervise.  Also, after seeing how it’s been for dh teaching math to her this year I’ve given up the idea of him being able find time to help teach science.  So Apologia looked like something I could potentially handle, and I liked that if it’s working and no one is wanting a STEM degree I can just stick with it all the way through high school...I really need to cut down on the number of subjects I couture the living crap out of.  Am I going to be drowning in “experiments”?  How much Scripture is there?  I mean, I like that it’s Christian but some of 5he samples I’ve run across seem a bit cheesy, like, stop and look up in this psalm what it says about stars...I just don’t feel like it’s a good use of time in science class, I’d rather they were praying the psalms and be able to draw from a rich background of knowledge to increase their wonder, if that makes any sense.  How much of the extra shtuff did you find useful/necessary?

We are using Apologia through high school.  (And my kids aren't STEM kids either.  At least not yet.)

We have a couple of the elementary books that the kids just read through on their own.  (I'm a minimalist during the elementary years.)

The General Science book is recommended for 8th grade.  Physical Science for 9th.

Ds17 used General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Human Biology (accelerated schedule for 1/2 credit of Anatomy) and Chemistry.

Dd15 used General Science, Physical Science, Biology, and Marine Biology.  She is also planning to do Chemistry before graduation.

Dd13 is currently doing Physical Science with me.  We skipped General Science with her.  She will also do Biology and Chemistry and maybe Marine Biology or Human Biology.

Science is really not my thing.  We did buy the videos for some of the classes.

So far we haven't done as many experiments as we should have done.  I hate doing science experiments and I have zero motivation to do them.

I don't remember them being told to look up Bible verses or anything like that.  From what I can see there is a huge age gap from their elementary books to their middle and high school books.

Feel free to ask any questions.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I think the cheesy stuff is probably more in the elementary series than in the Jay Wile books.  However, iirc, there is material related to young earth in the General Sci book.  This was great for us, but you can see if it fits what you want.  Also, a lot of the first chapter (or two?) is historical information about science.  One of my history lovers ate it up - really she enjoyed the entire text.  We just really like Jay Wile a lot.  She did it at a co-op, so all experiments were done there, thank goodness!  If you want more accountability for labs - you could check and see if he offers an online class for General.  I believe his highschool level online classes require lab reports to be submitted to him.    

If you wanted to stick with physical / intro to chem and be fairly assured of Lego Lass working independently without issue, you might look at Exploration Education.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

Everyone at the Alamo is drunk. This is why we lost. We should refrain from doing that in the future.

I guess you're not watching the Disney Davy Crockett version.  Which version are you watching?

19 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I could see “hold my beer” being our national motto.

Isn't it?

5 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I guess you're not watching the Disney Davy Crockett version.  Which version are you watching?

A very, very, very old one.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:07 PM, Slache said:

It would seem the majority of my IRL homeschool friends (none of which live locally) have gotten over their homeschool phase. 2 more families are enrolling in school this year. This leaves 2 families out of 8, both of which are traveling missionaries. Is this common?

Yup.  For a very long time I was the only IRL person who was homeschooling someone older than 4th grade.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Spudater said:

Hallo

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

❤️❤️ Hey Girl! ❤️❤️

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

It looks like we'll be using uhaul pods. It will cost roughly $200 more than our cheapest option and be way less of a hassle. One major selling point of this particular company is that we get to pick the delivery date.

Matt's making us watch The Alamo. It's awful.

But do you remember it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

But do you remember it?

I'm too young. Do you?

• Haha 2

True story...people in San Antonio don’t do much in March (when the Alamo fell). They do, however, celebrate the Battle of San Jacinto for over a week in April. It’s called Fiesta. Lots of great parades and fun events. The Battle of the Flowers is one of the more popular events. Pin collecting is popular—a lot of companies sponsor fiesta pins and make corresponding charitable donations.

• Like 4

I'm so tired.  The 6 grandkids' other grandpa brought most of them over around 10am.  I picked up pizzas for those staying here with dh, since he was putting together the shed.  Then took ds11 and dgd11 clothes shopping, and other grandpa brought the last 2 over to dh.  

It took so long to shop!  We had a list and were very organized.  It was just a lot to look for!  Then I came back and picked up 3 more dgd and took the four to get haircuts.  

We ate supper around 830 tonight.  But now they're all watching a movie and starting to doze off.  I probably won't be too far behind them!

• Like 4

Tonight we had another installment of our American Culture through Film class. Jaws.  That was a good movie.

• Like 7

I remember reading once that beer  and other fermented (and cultured) liquids were the safest and most nutritious beverages available for hundreds of years before the invention of refrigeration. Or something like that.  So I’m willing to cut long-dead folks a little slack on that matter. 

I survived the party!  Really, lots of nice people and some relatives.  Waaaaaaaaay too much sugar consumption on my part. ?  The kids played their music and then were asked to play again and they survived that, but just barely.  My (violin) g string broke right before the last Swedish polka, but I waa able to borrow dd11’s violin .

After the party we went to IKEA and then played a new-to-us game called “The Resistance” - it was a lot of fun. 

iTired.

• Like 8

Good Sunday Morning!  Dh got home from annual training sometime last night.  YAY!  And I woke up to snoring at 2:30.  Boo!

Coffee is brewing!

• Like 5

Good Sunday morning!  When exactly do the kids stop doing things that are idiotic?  Anyway, for those that pray, please pray for my boy, it's going to be a long day for me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

11 hours ago, Junie said:

We are using Apologia through high school.  (And my kids are STEM kids either.  At least not yet.)

We have a couple of the elementary books that the kids just read through on their own.  (I'm a minimalist during the elementary years.)

The General Science book is recommended for 8th grade.  Physical Science for 9th.

Ds17 used General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Human Biology (accelerated schedule for 1/2 credit of Anatomy) and Chemistry.

Dd15 used General Science, Physical Science, Biology, and Marine Biology.  She is also planning to do Chemistry before graduation.

Dd13 is currently doing Physical Science with me.  We skipped General Science with her.  She will also do Biology and Chemistry and maybe Marine Biology or Human Biology.

Science is really not my thing.  We did buy the videos for some of the classes.

So far we haven't done as many experiments as we should have done.  I hate doing science experiments and I have zero motivation to do them.

I don't remember them being told to look up Bible verses or anything like that.  From what I can see there is a huge age gap from their elementary books to their middle and high school books.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Roughly how many experiments/projects are there per module?  Are they usually household items?

10 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I think the cheesy stuff is probably more in the elementary series than in the Jay Wile books.  However, iirc, there is material related to young earth in the General Sci book.  This was great for us, but you can see if it fits what you want.  Also, a lot of the first chapter (or two?) is historical information about science.  One of my history lovers ate it up - really she enjoyed the entire text.  We just really like Jay Wile a lot.  She did it at a co-op, so all experiments were done there, thank goodness!  If you want more accountability for labs - you could check and see if he offers an online class for General.  I believe his highschool level online classes require lab reports to be submitted to him.    

If you wanted to stick with physical / intro to chem and be fairly assured of Lego Lass working independently without issue, you might look at Exploration Education.  

Ok, thanks.  LL is NOT a history lover, but I thought I might let her just read the first chapter and move on...we’ll see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

Ok, thanks.  LL is NOT a history lover, but I thought I might let her just read the first chapter and move on...we’ll see.

For my dd, we did some tests open book.  The tests look short and sweet, but there are few enough questions that it's easy to bomb one with just a few misses.  Nothing wrong with picking and choosing what you want to hold her accountable for!  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

For my dd, we did some tests open book.  The tests look short and sweet, but there are few enough questions that it's easy to bomb one with just a few misses.  Nothing wrong with picking and choosing what you want to hold her accountable for!  

That might be a good way to ease her into it as well since she is not very used to tests.

• Like 2

Good morning!

i am wondering if the coffee my mom made yesterday for the party was decaf.  My head is not pleased with the world this morning. 

Dd19 is no longer with us. Happy birthday dd20! ?

Church, then maybe the zoo. 

COFFEE!!  

• Like 6

Good Sunday morning!

Praying, mama25!

Happy nirthday, Susan's dd!

!!  Then church!  Then probably the pool for most of the day!!

• Like 4

Happy Birthday Susan's dd

church, picking up milk on way home and nap, I hope

could y'all do me another favor?  Please don't let me watch anymore Netflix originals!

• Like 4

Happy Birthday, Susan’s DD!!

Mama25angels, praying. I know what it’s like to have a difficult boy. I have two.

I want to go to IKEA now!!! Just not up for a 6 hour round trip drive.

Spud, regarding the science, DS2 started General Science as a 7th grader, but barely made it through the first chapter. Now, take that with a grain of salt because he is very behind in most subjects, but.... it is much more hard core (demanding academically) than say A Beka or Bob Jones science at the same grade level. I liked it a lot, and I think it definitely could be done independently with a certain type of kid. Just not mine.  So, that’s my two cents.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mama25angels said:

Good Sunday morning!  When exactly do the kids stop doing things that are idiotic?  Anyway, for those that pray, please pray for my boy, it's going to be a long day for me.

I'm pretty sure my mom thinks I still do idiotic things...she's probably not always wrong.

• Like 6

Good morning. Stuff. San Antonio! :biggrin:

1 hour ago, mama25angels said:

Happy Birthday Susan's dd

church, picking up milk on way home and nap, I hope

could y'all do me another favor?  Please don't let me watch anymore Netflix originals!

Today is my 100th day of not watching television. I really liked Stranger Things.

• Like 4

My vitamin D was low too a few years back. I haven't noticed a difference in sleep though. But, glad it helps Spud. I finally got some okay sleep this past night too - from like 9-11 and then 11:30-7 or so, which was good, because the night before was only 5 hours. 

• Like 5

Good morning. Blech. Trying to function today. DH is off to get cough drops. In the meantime I am editing and trying to get the laundry under control. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Mama25angels, praying. I know what it’s like to have a difficult boy. I have two.

Spud, regarding the science, DS2 started General Science as a 7th grader, but barely made it through the first chapter. Now, take that with a grain of salt because he is very behind in most subjects, but.... it is much more hard core (demanding academically) than say A Beka or Bob Jones science at the same grade level. I liked it a lot, and I think it definitely could be done independently with a certain type of kid. Just not mine.  So, that’s my two cents.

Hmmm.  I don’t know anything about those other programs.  Most of the homeschoolers I know IRL seem to be using/have used it in 7th so they can do bio/chem/physics in high school.  Argh, it’s so hard to gauge!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I will be a voice of dissension that Apologia General Science is more demanding than Bob Jones science.  I bought 7th grade life science from BJU for my oldest when he was that age and still have PSTD from looking at the rigor of those materials.  7 years of homeschooling under my belt and still such a noob I was.  I should have known that would never work here.  We didn't last a week with it.  

• Like 2

Movepo. (Officially added to recognized words on the phone so be warned)

Budget figured. We can afford to move. Yay! If we can fit our things on a trailer (huge if) we can save a ton of money. Did I forget anything?

• Pods or trailer
  • 2 months rent
  • Hotel gas and food for the trip
  • A miscellaneous fund
  • We get free boxes and tape

I have 4 possible moving dates in March and April.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

Budget figured. We can afford to move. Yay! If we can fit our things on a trailer (huge if) we can save a ton of money. Did I forget anything?

• Pods or trailer
  • 2 months rent
  • A miscellaneous fund

Does 2 months rent include $ for security deposit or utility deposit / hook up fees or whatever.  Plus groceries for some length of time (1st week or two) after move.  ?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Hmmm.  I don’t know anything about those other programs.  Most of the homeschoolers I know IRL seem to be using/have used it in 7th so they can do bio/chem/physics in high school.  Argh, it’s so hard to gauge!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Apologia is pretty straightforward in implementation.  Text, On Your Own questions, Labs (pick and choose - keep it simple - do one per module or less if you need to), Study Guide (at the end of the chapter), test (open book?, or closed book at first and open book with a different color pen for a second chance at it or whatever).  It's 7th grade, so the grading is not permanent record.  But if you want to give her a taste of highschool grading, assign a percentage to each of those and weight it towards reading, On Your Own questions, with less weight towards the tests if you want.  

8 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I will be a voice of dissension that Apologia General Science is more demanding than Bob Jones science.  I bought 7th grade life science from BJU for my oldest when he was that age and still have PSTD from looking at the rigor of those materials.  7 years of homeschooling under my belt and still such a noob I was.  I should have known that would never work here.  We didn't last a week with it.  

Quoting myself to re-iterate the rigor of BJU science.  I've known of people whose kids went stem who wish they had used BJU chemistry instead of Apologia's chemistry.  I've known of non-stem kids who tried to do BJU Biology and barely lived to tell.  If you have STEM focused kids and you want a Christian publisher or the DVD teaching appeals to you, BJU is the most rigorous option out there.  I've never seen or heard of anyone's experience that demonstrated otherwise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

• Pods or trailer
  • 2 months rent
  • A miscellaneous fund

Make sure your miscellaneous fund is large enough to include utility deposits (gas/electric is one company called CPS in SA, but you will have a deposit for them as well as SAWS (water/trash company).  Our two deposits totaled $400ish. We chose to have internet service in our home. There was an initial fee for that too, even though we provided our own router.) You will likely also have a background check fee + pet deposit fee for your apartment. Your dh will need to change over his driver's license, and you will need to insure your vehicle with a TX policy. Expect your car insurance to be a bit higher if you carry comprehensive car insurance because of the risk of hail damage (and because there are a lot of impaired drivers). If you are signing up for CHIP (TX children's health plan) you will have a small enrollment fee (and a wait). 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Does 2 months rent include $ for security deposit or utility deposit / hook up fees or whatever.  Plus groceries for some length of time (1st week or two) after move.  ?

2 month = rent+a full security deposit, the rest is miscellaneous.

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. 

Good morning.

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Make sure your miscellaneous fund is large enough to include utility deposits (gas/electric is one company called CPS in SA, but you will have a deposit for them as well as SAWS (water/trash company).  Our two deposits totaled $400ish. We chose to have internet service in our home. There was an initial fee for that too, even though we provided our own router.) You will likely also have a background check fee + pet deposit fee for your apartment. Your dh will need to change over his driver's license, and you will need to insure your vehicle with a TX policy. Expect your car insurance to be a bit higher if you carry comprehensive car insurance because of the risk of hail damage (and because there are a lot of impaired drivers). If you are signing up for CHIP (TX children's health plan) you will have a small enrollment fee (and a wait). 

Thank you. This helps.

• Like 2

Apologia uses a lot of materials that can be found around the house.

I absolutely refuse to have dangerous chemicals in my kitchen, so that was one of the things that I liked about Apologia.

• Like 3