Menu

Ignore this thread!

We celebrated my birthday for the first time in at least 8 years. This is a good indication of our financial state. We didn't even do a box cake mix because he couldn't find what he wanted so he got Redmill and all necessary ingredients. And for the first time in 8 years my birthday money went towards a gift and not toward buying other people Christmas gifts. My birthday never mattered to me, most people forgot it anyway, but I'm so grateful to have the ability to waste $10 and not feel guilty about it.

• Like 7

My favorite by the ocean restaurant is getting sprayed by water from waves hitting the seawall.  There's been heavy surge for a couple of days and there's a new storm blowing in tonight. The water has been going past the sea wall into town at a lower elevation.  It's kinda surreal to watch.

Please, little restaurant, stay strong! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My favorite by the ocean restaurant is getting sprayed by water from waves hitting the seawall.  There's been heavy surge for a couple of days and there's a new storm blowing in tonight. The water has been going past the sea wall into town at a lower elevation.  It's kinda surreal to watch.

Matt mentioned moving to Houston today. I said no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

We celebrated my birthday for the first time in at least 8 years. This is a good indication of our financial state. We didn't even do a box cake mix because he couldn't find what he wanted so he got Redmill and all necessary ingredients. And for the first time in 8 years my birthday money went towards a gift and not toward buying other people Christmas gifts. My birthday never mattered to me, most people forgot it anyway, but I'm so grateful to have the ability to waste $10 and not feel guilty about it.

:wub:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

Matt mentioned moving to Houston today. I said no.

I would say, "Ah, HELL no" if my husband asked me.

😂😂😂

I think I'd go back to Texas in a heartbeat if I could live somewhere Austin/hill countryish.....on high ground, with a pool, with a 3 car garage (storage with no basement, y'all), and within 30 minutes of a HEB and a Torchy's Tacos. I have a lot of friends in the Cedar Park/Leander area (north Austin metro) and if dh could work from home, traffic wouldn't be that big of a deal. 

• Like 3

1. Houston floods on a regular basis. One of my friends in NE Houston metro has been flooded out 3 times in the last five years. She supposedly lives in a "safe" area.

2. Houston is home to huge petrochemical plants. When Harvey blew through, there were massive spills, the full extent of which never hit local media. But, essentially, all of that flood water was highly contaminated, and is now on the soil anywhere there was flood water.  Massive stew of nastiness.

3. It's humid as all get-out. Like, feels like a sauna bad.  Also, mosquitos.  

4. aggressive driving---like, I felt safer in Italy, Mexico, and other places where traffic rules are optional because there was a. some concern re: speed, and b. not likely to break out into gunfire in cases of road rage... Like, literally, they are among the most deadly in the nation: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/article/Houston-s-roads-drivers-are-nation-s-most-12865072.php  When you pop open the article, note that Houston is #1 in DUI and OUI offenses (well, and deaths). I've always felt some of the aggression is routed in how jam packed Houston's roads are....IME, it's worse than driving the DC beltway in rush hour.....at totally non-rush hour times. So, DC + guns + DUI/OUI issues. Pretty awesome.

5. Crime.  Austin by far is the safest large city in TX.....Houston's robbery, murder, rape, and burglary rates are nationally ranked. Yay. 

6. Houston has poor quality of life. There's a lack of quality parks, of biking and hiking trails (not that you want to be out in the petrochemical air, heat/humidity, and bugs), smaller libraries, etc.  Essentially, everyone lives in their air-conditioned homes until they go sit in their air-conditioned cars to get to the air-conditioned work.  It's just not the way I'd choose to live, iykwim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Nirthday Slache!

Susan, that Santa was adorable!

Critter, I hope you feel better soon!

a quick hi to everyone else, couldn't hang out this weekend because we had the play and was just exhausted and I had to run errands today.  Will be running more Christmas errands tomorrow and hopefully, doing a last Amazon order.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

Prairie, you lost me at mosquitoes. 

Yeah. My list was pretty much 1. humidity, 2. humidity, 3. humidity, 4. humidity. We picked Texas for the laws, distance to family with emergency options, and COL, in that order, but San Antonio is FUN. Six flags, Sea World, water parks, historical sights, museums. I have personal reasons for wanting to live there like the Hispanic influence and cheap flights, but it's just fun. Houston is not that fun. It's closer to the beach and in my opinion the beach trumps all of that, but with the whole family in mind (especially in laws in regards to flights) San Antonio is where it's at. If I had my option we would live on the beach. I don't care if it's in Costa Rica or Viatnam, the beach is my home.

• Like 4

And if anyone thinks that's silly remember that I get carsick. If we drove more than 40 minutes to something like Six Flags I would spend the day recovering instead of enjoying myself, so having everything less than 20 minutes away is a huge drawing point to me. Huge. As it stands I don't even go to the airport to pick up family. It's blah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. Houston floods on a regular basis. One of my friends in NE Houston metro has been flooded out 3 times in the last five years. She supposedly lives in a "safe" area.

2. Houston is home to huge petrochemical plants. When Harvey blew through, there were massive spills, the full extent of which never hit local media. But, essentially, all of that flood water was highly contaminated, and is now on the soil anywhere there was flood water.  Massive stew of nastiness.

3. It's humid as all get-out. Like, feels like a sauna bad.  Also, mosquitos.  

4. aggressive driving---like, I felt safer in Italy, Mexico, and other places where traffic rules are optional because there was a. some concern re: speed, and b. not likely to break out into gunfire in cases of road rage... Like, literally, they are among the most deadly in the nation: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/article/Houston-s-roads-drivers-are-nation-s-most-12865072.php  When you pop open the article, note that Houston is #1 in DUI and OUI offenses (well, and deaths). I've always felt some of the aggression is routed in how jam packed Houston's roads are....IME, it's worse than driving the DC beltway in rush hour.....at totally non-rush hour times. So, DC + guns + DUI/OUI issues. Pretty awesome.

5. Crime.  Austin by far is the safest large city in TX.....Houston's robbery, murder, rape, and burglary rates are nationally ranked. Yay. 

6. Houston has poor quality of life. There's a lack of quality parks, of biking and hiking trails (not that you want to be out in the petrochemical air, heat/humidity, and bugs), smaller libraries, etc.  Essentially, everyone lives in their air-conditioned homes until they go sit in their air-conditioned cars to get to the air-conditioned work.  It's just not the way I'd choose to live, iykwim. 

So Prairie, am I reading  this accurately? Are you saying that Houston is not a great place to live????

😂🤣🤣

• Haha 5

We have decided to be Saints fans since the Bengals are buttheads and we have no allegiance to either the Cowboys or the Texans. I'm kind of still partial to the 49ers, essentially since I don't look good in purple, but after a deep seated family discussion, I think this is where we stand. I thought you should know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

We have decided to be Saints fans since the Bengals are buttheads and we have no allegiance to either the Cowboys or the Texans. I'm kind of still partial to the 49ers, essentially since I don't look good in purple, but after a deep seated family discussion, I think this is where we stand. I thought you should know.

Hmmm, well.... my favorite team is the Raiders, and my second favorite team is the Rams and my third favorite is the Chiefs and my 4th favorite is the Steelers.  But, I guess we can still be friends.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I saw pictures of those waves on the news tonight.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Hmmm, well.... my favorite team is the Raiders, and my second favorite team is the Rams and my third favorite is the Chiefs and my 4th favorite is the Steelers.  But, I guess we can still be friends.

I only recognized two of those teams. I'm a very devoted football fan, as you can see. We only had to pick a team because my sister-in-law gets free NFL gear and sends it for Christmas. Earlier John asked me when football season was and I had to Google it.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

(((Critter)))  It's been going around our house, too.  Dh is still getting over, but it was much more short-lived with dd12.

Everyone had it but me. DH ended up with a sinus infection from it. I didn't sleep last night. Will be staying close to the covers today. 

ETA: It's an infectious disease Booyah! Aaaachooya!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Good Morning.  Coffee!  Slept in a bit since I was up in the night with dd.  She puked.  Five times before she made it to the toilet.  The good news is that I got 1000 steps after midnight.  So I'm winning.  I'm still working on the carpet in her room and other spaltters I didn't know about last night.  At least the calendar is mostly clear today.  And thankfully she slept the rest of the night so I don't think it's a bug. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Oh no!!!!!  Your lovely birthday!  I'm so sorry! 

Meh. The fee will be reversed when the bank notices and I'm pretty used to throwing up at this point.

I feel worse for Matt. Not only did he make everyone sick but he skipped the cake so he was the only one not sick. I wonder if he did it on purpose...

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!

I slept so much better last night. I actually feel like a normal person this morning.

Today... school. I guess I will do more work on Christmas cookies. Take the cats to the vet to get their stitches out. Only a week after the vet said to come in.🙄 DD was not feeling good yesterday. She slept better last night, so hopefully she won’t be sick today. She’s not exactly a hypochondriac, but she tends toward the dramatic when she’s not feeling well, so I never know how bad things are.

• Like 5

Okay, I need to start on my to-do list for real.  Stuff I either haven't had time to do because of busyness or put off doing because don't wanna.  First priorities are balancing checkbook, paying bills, and laundry.  Really need to run the vacuum on the first floor too.  I won't think past that until some of that gets completed. 

• Like 4

Ok, I will credit Houston for MD Anderson + The Homeschool Store. And they have a Torchy's, so it can't be entirely bad. 😂

My aunt and uncle lived in the Katy area for a time, and loved it. 

Ds's leg is looking much better. +10 for Manuka honey. 

I've got to stay focused this week and knock stuff out so I can enjoy Christmas break. I am hoping to spend a few days sewing. I've had some fabric in my stash since 2012 (when I was pregnant with Youngest) that I'd love to turn into a snuggly lap quilt for the couch.

• Like 7