Menu

Ignore this thread!

But he might be able to do it on his own more than BA if you're just looking for an independent supplement. ....what about the challenging word problems books (old or new)?

I don't want to hand over a math I can't see. Ray's is better than CWP. It's hard! Great stuff.

• Like 1

What's the time commitment for Beast Academy?

If you want him to *do* the whole thing (as your math curriculum), that's different from if you want him to amuse himself with it (in which case he might go to town with just the guides and a graph paper notebook)...

Page/chapter lengths and difficulties in the practice book vary a lot, so I don't schedule until I have it in hand. We keep the school day really short and go year round, definitely not over a half hour a day of math. But DS has probably less stamina than a lot of other kids.

We're switching back to SM for next year and just buying the guides for fun.

• Like 2

Sweatpea was around for a pretty good while before dropping off the face of the earth. In all, you may have read more since you've been keeping up since you came. Or have you?... j/k

I have read everything since I joined the thread, though some of my reading might have been more similar to skimming. I think were were only in the 1800s or so when I joined, so, over a 1000 pages, plus 282 pages. Either way, I wasn't claiming to have read more... just that anyone who hasn't read everything yet will have a wonderful opportunity to chip away at catching up if they open a bunch of pages before the site goes down. 

No to the texting group for me, btw... 200 texts a day would probably drive me crazy. 

• Like 3

Is it a good or bad thing that I have earned a free menu item at almost all the coffee/doughnut places in town?

Imma go to “the store†tomorrow for “groceries†but only because it means I have to drive right by one of the places that wants to give me free stuff for being so loyal.

• Like 5

Not enough rain?

Downpour right now. Thunder. Lots of thunder. Hail cannons are supposed to send out sound waves that break up hail formation in the clouds so it doesn’t hail which would damage stone fruit. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

Just in case anyone was wondering, my friend did get a vet to check out her cat. There was no problem. She was in labor for 28 hours before the remaining 3 kittens were birthed one right after the other. Healthy mama, healthy babies.

Yay!! Good for mama kitty!!
  • Like 1

Just in case anyone was wondering, my friend did get a vet to check out her cat. There was no problem. She was in labor for 28 hours before the remaining 3 kittens were birthed one right after the other. Healthy mama, healthy babies.

Excellent! Sometimes cats will take their time, but it's always a concern when things aren't progressing.

• Like 2

Snugglebunny does BA. She has a love/hate relationship with it. More love than hate though. She’s really good at math and when it’s clicking she loves the puzzle aspect of it. When it’s not she loses it. But she acts that way whenever anything is hard, even with her super straightforward grammar program. Ah, the joys of perfectionism and anxiety. We do about half an hour or so a day. It’s very variable how long each page will take. I read her the comic bc she likes me to. Possibly John would not. The guides really do an excellent job of explaining it to the student. I rarely add anything. Mostly I give hints when she’s stuck and talk her down when she’s getting emotional. Then again, maybe we’re not typical.

I would have John take the readiness test. It’ll give him a sample of the flavor as well as telling you if he has any problematic gaps.

Snugglebunny sounds exactly like John. I didn't realize there was a test so I downloaded the samples but I'll do that too. Thanks.
  • Like 1

Btw, I'm just kidding. So far both kids have done Dutch and drawn dolphins, Celery finished his grammar book and has done typing, played around with Scratch, and practiced guitar (2 notes at once now, thumb and index finger, and practiced the top notes for the Coventry Carol and Au Claire de la Lune), and Broccoli has practiced violin (mostly just a lot of improvising, but he also played the Arpeggio Song once, and no drama other than screaming no when I opened his violin case). I think that's about it. Planning to do math and/or science later, and maybe a Pokéwalk. 

Luuknam, there's a thread with your name on it: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/670939-language-arts-in-dutch/. (Not literally your name on it, but something you might be able to help out with - Dutch).

Pokewalks are about the only kind I do. I finally replaced the dogs' collars and bought leashes, so now they go with us ("us" meaning Gymnast and I).

• Like 4

What's the time commitment for Beast Academy?

Depends on the kid, topic and honestly, the problem. My son usually reads a section and then works through 1-3 pages each day until that section is done (usually 2-3 days. Lather, rinse, repeat.

He spends, average, 30 mins/day. But, sometimes a particularly tricky problem set may take quite a bit longer.

• Like 1

Depends on the kid, topic and honestly, the problem. My son usually reads a section and then works through 1-3 pages each day until that section is done (usually 2-3 days. Lather, rinse, repeat.

He spends, average, 30 mins/day. But, sometimes a particularly tricky problem set may take quite a bit longer.

What level is he?

Official Report, Day 4 (of 5!)

We schooled. I checked the mail (DS loves the King Arthur Flour catalog). Little else accomplished except a brief excursion to the farmers' market. Skipped the Y and let DS play outside with his friend while I played Bejeweled. Banana splits with everything for dinner. Convinced DS to shower quickly so I could read him extra chapters, and meanwhile traded his lost tooth for a Susan B. Anthony dollar, which he discovered when checking on his tooth before lying down. I finished a Douglas Adams book and found it less enjoyable than his others, but I'm a lazy reader these days (many cookbooks and some light nonfiction, mostly). Kitty has resigned herself to her fate and begun to treat me as her new BFF. One more day. *cue Les Mis music*

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 9