Menu

Ignore this thread!

My DD that I really thought had dyscalculia and hated all math and struggled with the most basic things actually did really well with Beast Academy. It was the beginning of her coming out of whatever fog she was in and suddenly doing pretty well. She's no math prodigy and still has remnants of the old issues, but she is super solid and strong in math now.

I think Beast is definitely not just for the gifted. It's for anyone who wants to or needs to approach math from a different angle. I think it helped that it wasn't boring and the problems encouraged actual thinking instead of chugging.

She's also my most likely to melt down if she's wrong or can't get the problem right away, but for some reason with BA it didn't affect her that way. I'd have stuck with it except we needed to go faster.

ok, I think I may need to try that with middle DD. She really struggles.
  • Like 1

I don’t know how to use an abacus. :leaving:

Me neither...lol.

My DD that I really thought had dyscalculia and hated all math and struggled with the most basic things actually did really well with Beast Academy. It was the beginning of her coming out of whatever fog she was in and suddenly doing pretty well. She's no math prodigy and still has remnants of the old issues, but she is super solid and strong in math now.

I think Beast is definitely not just for the gifted. It's for anyone who wants to or needs to approach math from a different angle. I think it helped that it wasn't boring and the problems encouraged actual thinking instead of chugging. 

She's also my most likely to melt down if she's wrong or can't get the problem right away, but for some reason with BA it didn't affect her that way. I'd have stuck with it except we needed to go faster.

Hunh...you know, my 12 yr old was diagnosed with dyscalculia when she was 7 but lately, I'm starting to think she may have been misdiagnosed. She is working in Singapore's 3rd grade level and she is doing really really well with it.

I don't really see any evidence of the number sense weaknesses she clearly had as a younger student.

For sure, she has significant weaknesses in reasoning. But it pervades beyond just math. She cannot make cognitive connections very easily. I have lately been wondering if her reasoning weaknesses were actually to blame for her poor number sense when she was younger.

Actually, I'm waiting on the school district to get back to me on a request for an additional independent educational evaluation. Which reminds me...they've been dragging feet.

• Like 3

For sure, she has significant weaknesses in reasoning. But it pervades beyond just math. She cannot make cognitive connections very easily. I have lately been wondering if her reasoning weaknesses were actually to blame for her poor number sense when she was younger.

That sounds like my DD. We had a neuropsych done and they said she's normal but highly anxious. I have doubts...She (and her sister) really don't make connections sometimes like you'd expect or make bizarre connections, or maybe just say really crazy stuff because they are so anxious when put on the spot that they say random things. 

But, for sure, with puberty came some sort of maturity and math awareness. I'm now a firm believer in time. 

• Like 4

Is everyone Ignore This Texting or something?

I'm reading a book on health and it's explaining to me why (most of) the foods I like and/or regularly eat are crap. She's right, though. Sigh.

In the meantime, ds13 CLEANED THE KITCHEN, LIVING ROOM, AND DINING AREA! Including mopping the floors. He is excited for dd19 to be home. :wub:

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

That sounds like my DD. We had a neuropsych done and they said she's normal but highly anxious. I have doubts...She (and her sister) really don't make connections sometimes like you'd expect or make bizarre connections, or maybe just say really crazy stuff because they are so anxious when put on the spot that they say random things.

But, for sure, with puberty came some sort of maturity and math awareness. I'm now a firm believer in time.

Anxiety is not an issue for my daughter (though it is for my husband). She's just very literal and lacks an ability to infer. She's Amelia Bedelia in the flesh, lol.

As she has gotten older, she's gotten a bit more...I don't know, weird? She often says things that do not make sense, in that her word choice is wrong, or her sentence structure is off.

It's strange because she actually tests high on expressive language, but very poor on receptive.

I'm hoping to have her evaluated for NVLD. She fits many of the signs to a 't'.

Official report, day 5 (of 5!)

We schooled (with drama) and libraried and groceried. I made veggie lasagna with some Tinkyada noodles; I was happy with the results. DS was in bed before DH got home but heard the car pull up and starting calling for him even before he got in the door.

Good night, dear ITT! See you on the flip side. Please remember that pet and baby pictures, even if texted during the eclipse, should be posted here when we reconvene. Meanwhile, may you be blessed with coffee (and/or tea or TeA if you prefer), perfect health, excellent weather, an improved budget, delightful family members, and chocolate as desired.

And the No Dying rule holds. :smash:

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 10

Hi, Dawn! We missed you! I'm sorry about all the health care hassles and scares. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Are you aware of the impending WTM Forum upgrade?

Thank you! :grouphug:

Kind of aware, I think. I've glanced at the thread highlighted in pink at the top of the page.

I would like your stuffed pepper recipe when you get a chance, please. I love stuffed peppers.

• Like 2

This. And the rest of AoPS, too. In fact, it's not for a lot of gifted kids, either. It's just for a particular type of conceptual thinker.

• Like 4

True story...when DD took over care of our chicken flock, I explained to her how to rotate the chx waterers so that each day, the full size chickens would finish off the waterer from the bantam chickens rug day before (so as to not waste water, and so the bantam waterer wouldn't grow algae).

Simple enough...give the little chicken water to the big chickens, wash their previous watered and refill for the bantams.

She did fine. For months.

And then one day in February, my husband came in from the coop and asked why she was putting a FROZEN chicken waterer in with the big birds.

Yeah...it didn't occur to her that the water had to actually be LIQUID.

Bless her, lol. She's such a good girl.

• Like 3

Official report, day 5 (of 5!)

We schooled (with drama) and libraried and groceried. I made veggie lasagna with some Tinkyada noodles; I was happy with the results. DS was in bed before DH got home but heard the car pull up and starting calling for him even before he got in the door.

Good night, dear ITT! See you on the flip side. Please remember that pet and baby pictures, even if texted during the eclipse, should be posted here when we reconvene. Meanwhile, may you be blessed with coffee (and/or tea or TeA if you prefer), perfect health, excellent weather, an improved budget, delightful family members, and chocolate as desired.

And the No Dying rule holds. :smash:

I'm glad your dh is home!!

SaveSave

Thank you! :grouphug:

Kind of aware, I think. I've glanced at the thread highlighted in pink at the top of the page.

I would like your stuffed pepper recipe when you get a chance, please. I love stuffed peppers.

My Mom stuffed peppers with Spanish rice, which I loved.  Since DH is much more of a carnivore and I really don't need quite that many carbs I fill them with a meat stuffing now.

To stuff 6-8 large bell peppers:

• Brown up 2 1/5 lbs of ground meat of your choice, using whatever aromatic veggies (like onion and such) and seasonings you like.  If the filling seems a bit liquidy either drain off excess liquid or add a bit of rice or other filler to sop it up.
  • Add a small can of tomato paste to help glue everything together.
  • If you like add some shredded cheese to the mixture, too.
  • Wash 6-8 bell peppers, preferably ones with square cross-sections, and cut them in half through the stem and bottom, making sure each half has a flat side to act as its new "bottom".  Remove seeds and fibrous bits inside to create nice vessels to fill.  Yes, many people (including my Mom) stuff whole peppers, but if you stuff the halves it takes half the time in the oven.  Less cooking time is less time cooking, but it also means the pepper halves themselves aren't quite so overcooked (they still retain a bit of their texture).
  • Spoon filling into each pepper half, making sure to tuck it into each crevice but NOT packing it tight.  You want the pepper halves filled, not crammed.  The tighter you pack the filling the longer it takes to come up to temp in the oven.  Put the filled halves into a good baking or casserole dish -- I tend to use 13x9-inch glass pans.
  • If you like top each half with shredded cheese, perhaps letting a little of the shredded cheese fall to the bottom of the pan so it browns there nicely in the oven.  My FIL loves those browned bits of cheese.
  • Bake the pan of peppers at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, basically until starting to brown on top.  Serve once hot.  Excess can be cooled and reheated later in the microwave.

This is highly adaptable, and can be used with most any type of filling and seasonings you like.  Play around with it and try different things!

• Like 1

Okay, I'm all caught up here, so I really should go to bed.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  for everyone to help tide us all over!

• Like 5

Ok. I didn't like the root beer, but it might be due to too many spices. It was good and fizzy though, and probably worth a root beer float. The raspberry water kefir soda was tasty but not fizzy. Probably should have left it out another day. I suspect I will like the plain ginger beer better than the root beer.

For recipes you can google the details but here's a basic rundown.

Raspberry soda - make a quart of water kefir. Strain it into a bottle that can be shut tight and add 1/4c raspberry puree. Let sit out on the counter for 24-48 hours and then refrigerate to chill.

Root beer - make ginger bug which is made up of grated ginger root, sugar, and water. Look up recipe for ginger bug root beer. Recipes will have a multitude of crazy herbs and roots. I only used the sassafras root, wintergreen, cinnamon stick, allspice, molasses, vanilla, and sugar. And ginger bug and water. Next time I'll leave out the allspice.

The ginger beer just uses fresh ginger, lemon juice, sugar, molasses, water, and ginger bug.

All of these "sodas" get their fizziness from being sealed up while fermenting at room temperature. If you leave it fermenting long enough you'll get a leetle bit o'alcohol content. I am now in love with swing-top bottles.

The cultured lemons are often called Moroccan preserved lemons and you just need lemons and sea salt. It helps if you have an "already cultured" lemon to get your batch started.

• Like 2

My Mom stuffed peppers with Spanish rice, which I loved. Since DH is much more of a carnivore and I really don't need quite that many carbs I fill them with a meat stuffing now.

To stuff 6-8 large bell peppers:

• Brown up 2 1/5 lbs of ground meat of your choice, using whatever aromatic veggies (like onion and such) and seasonings you like. If the filling seems a bit liquidy either drain off excess liquid or add a bit of rice or other filler to sop it up.
  • Add a small can of tomato paste to help glue everything together.
  • If you like add some shredded cheese to the mixture, too.
  • Wash 6-8 bell peppers, preferably ones with square cross-sections, and cut them in half through the stem and bottom, making sure each half has a flat side to act as its new "bottom". Remove seeds and fibrous bits inside to create nice vessels to fill. Yes, many people (including my Mom) stuff whole peppers, but if you stuff the halves it takes half the time in the oven. Less cooking time is less time cooking, but it also means the pepper halves themselves aren't quite so overcooked (they still retain a bit of their texture).
  • Spoon filling into each pepper half, making sure to tuck it into each crevice but NOT packing it tight. You want the pepper halves filled, not crammed. The tighter you pack the filling the longer it takes to come up to temp in the oven. Put the filled halves into a good baking or casserole dish -- I tend to use 13x9-inch glass pans.
  • If you like top each half with shredded cheese, perhaps letting a little of the shredded cheese fall to the bottom of the pan so it browns there nicely in the oven. My FIL loves those browned bits of cheese.
  • Bake the pan of peppers at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, basically until starting to brown on top. Serve once hot. Excess can be cooled and reheated later in the microwave.
This is highly adaptable, and can be used with most any type of filling and seasonings you like. Play around with it and try different things!

Thank you. I remember helping my Aunt Virginia make these when I was a little girl and are some of my best childhood memories. I don't have many good memories, but most of them involve my aunt. She died suddenly when I was about 9. She was a fabulous lady. It is good to be reminded of her.

• Like 2

I had to go back down to mom's this evening for another hour. She said she felt strange. Her blood pressure was high, but pulse and oxygen levels were good. We were just in the hospital about a month ago with the same complaints. They done a stress test on her heart which did not show any problems. They said her lungs were getting worse. So I stayed for a bit and piddled around. Her BP came back into normal range, and she said she felt some better. So we avoided another trip to the hospital, but I did not get to spend much time with the family before everyone went to bed. DH and DS both work tomorrow.

• Like 6

I'm sorry.

Don't be.  I'm a night owl.  :)

Ideal sleep (which I rarely get) is from 1 to 9 and then in the afternoon from 1 to 5.

The afternoon nap has become a necessity because of the migraines.  I usually only get about an hour of nap, but once in a while I can get four.

• Like 5