Menu

Ignore this thread!

DDb did something today that could cause her whole class to have to retake a standardized test.  :svengo:

Why? Because she's DDb and stuff like that happens. I told them from the beginning that they needed to be very clear with directions with her. Hopefully TPTB will decide to let it go because everyone agrees that the test was not actually compromised, but we have to wait and see. DD is not in trouble w/ the school but I'm sure she won't be the other kids' favorite person if they all have to retest!

May I ask what happened?

If you have older girls, where do you shop when they are getting too big (physically) for girls' clothes but are too small for juniors or ladies? And they're short. Sometimes girls' 14s are ok and sometimes adult xs is ok, but neither is really great. I don't like the cheap fabric of most juniors' stuff and they don't like the little girl looks of nicer girls' stores.

We’ve had the most luck at Macy’s.

If you have older girls, where do you shop when they are getting too big (physically) for girls' clothes but are too small for juniors or ladies? And they're short. Sometimes girls' 14s are ok and sometimes adult xs is ok, but neither is really great. I don't like the cheap fabric of most juniors' stuff and they don't like the little girl looks of nicer girls' stores. 

Old Navy is great at that in-between, though if you want "not cheap" then I have less advice. Nordstrom Rack has options but it's expensive.

I want cheap but doesn't look cheap! 

Well aren't you fancy. :D I wear Old Navy office to work and it doesn't look bad, but we're in Seattle and it's not fancy out here at all.

I convinced my daughter to sign up for engineering electives at middle school. They have a 3D printer and get to use whatever people use instead of Autocad these days! She doesn't want to be the only girl. They confirmed an 80/20 ratio in the higher level engineering classes. I cannot believe we are still dealing with this carp in TWO THOUSAND FLIPPING EIGHTEEN. In fact I think we are going backwards. So. Over. It. How many other girls are not joining because they don't want to be the only girl?  :willy_nilly:

• Like 1

Well aren't you fancy. :D I wear Old Navy office to work and it doesn't look bad, but we're in Seattle and it's not fancy out here at all.

I convinced my daughter to sign up for engineering electives at middle school. They have a 3D printer and get to use whatever people use instead of Autocad these days! She doesn't want to be the only girl. They confirmed an 80/20 ratio in the higher level engineering classes. I cannot believe we are still dealing with this carp in TWO THOUSAND FLIPPING EIGHTEEN. In fact I think we are going backwards. So. Over. It. How many other girls are not joining because they don't want to be the only girl?  :willy_nilly:

Most of DDs clothes the past year or so have been Old Navy because it's the safest bet for us. It's hard, though, to know when to make the leap from kids' departments to not. It was easier when I was a kid because the 14s just did not ever fit and I had to move up. 

In our school there are always several girls in the engineering classes, camps, etc. DD(10) had a 3D printing day camp last summer and it was about a 50/50 split. I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

I'm selling a baby dress on ebay and it has become surprisingly hot. I know it's a nicer dress but now I'm worried they'll be disappointed or think it's something it's not. Sheesh! I have impostor syndrome even for my used clothes! I want it to sell but all this interest is weird. 

And I guess I can't claim the kids get all their issues from MIL! 

• Like 9

Emergency provisions have been re-stocked.  Canned chicken, pre-cooked bacon, bread, Lucky Charms, granola bars, pudding cups, canned fruit, baked beans, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, ...  I can't remember what else we have.

Hard-boiled eggs have been cooked.

GF cheesy biscuits have been baked.  (Thanks dd13 and dd11!)

I'm hoping that we don't lose power, but if we do we won't be able to travel about to get food like we did a few weeks ago.

• Like 6

Good Wednesday Morning!  We got snow.  

At least I remembered to cover Lynnette the Lemon Tree.

... Lemon Tree very pretty and the Lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat...

Lemon tree song.  (I love this song.)

Showing my age.....  I went to Peter, Paul and Mary.  Hi Gar!  Mind if I call you Gar?  (Yes Man reference).   :lol:

I think we got jeans and sweaters at Macy's (junior department) one time.  The next time we shopped for a dress, the junior departments were all pathetic.  We ended up spending a little more at Ann Taylor, but were thankful to find a decent dress (and jeans and a nice top), but we haven't been back there.  

Apparently not.

To my calculations based on 2 days of weight loss I have lost 7 cups of water I was carrying in inflammation. That's a *lot* of water!

Liking for the weight loss :hurray: , not the lack of sleep.  :(  

• Like 4

God morning!

Stay safe, East Coaters!

Hi Garga! 😊

My my my my all the late-night fashion talk! :svengo: We get clothes at thrift stores, which often have very gently used high-end clothes.

I have to go outside in the cold and uncover my plants. Which means I should *probably* put on pantz.

Plants pantz schmantz.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Wouldn't have been me. Tell her it's great to be the only girl.

• Like 2

Well, I have my second to-be-abandoned book on my list for this year. I've got a huge stack, but I had hoped to like it. It just feels very young adult to me, I didn't find the character interactions realistic, and the worldbuilding infodumps are already bothering me five chapters in. So back to the library it goes!

No snow here today. It's a frosty, blue-sky morning. I let the boys sleep until 7:30 this morning and we won't start school until 9:30. I'm already beginning to make the move to transition toward late spring/summer schedule when morning is the best time to be doing things in or outside.

• Like 2

Started my next book on the stack. Nine pages in and the protagonist is compelling, the backstory is understandable and puts me in sympathy with the protagonist, the setting is described vividly through the protagonists eyes and now, at page nine, we are at the inciting incident.

The difference between a beginning writer and a very good writer with years of experience in the craft is stunning. And humbling.

#justkeepwriting

• Like 2

Emergency provisions have been re-stocked.  Canned chicken, pre-cooked bacon, bread, Lucky Charms, granola bars, pudding cups, canned fruit, baked beans, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, ...  I can't remember what else we have.

Hard-boiled eggs have been cooked.

GF cheesy biscuits have been baked.  (Thanks dd13 and dd11!)

I'm hoping that we don't lose power, but if we do we won't be able to travel about to get food like we did a few weeks ago.

I have coffee and syrup to make snow cream. #prepared

• Like 6

The baby tv show (yes, bad mom) is teaching about colors. Red+blue=purple; yellow+blue=green, red+yellow=orange....all normal, and then red+green=brown! That's a new one for me! I Is that a thing? I feel like dragging out the crayons to try. I mean, I'm pretty sure red and green would make some kind of nasty brown, but unlike red+blue=purple, I think I could get brown in other ways too. Maybe I could do purple and orange, right? 

Yes, you can get brown in different ways. They said red+green because that includes all the primary colors. They could of have just as well said purple+yellow, or orange+blue. But, the all primary color method can look pretty muddy, depending on how you mix them.

• Like 2

So. A WTM shut down from March 24 to 28. People gave me emails or texting information. Are you wanting a texting group (I don’t know if that’s the right name)? Anyone want to be added to the list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have texting capabilities, so I'll probably just meet y'all on the flip side.  :)

Maybe I'll move standardized testing to next week...

• Like 3

If you do that enough you'll eventually forget that you're trying to learn an your nth language through your xth language. Like, it typically doesn't even cross my mind that I could try to learn a foreign language through my native language. And when I lived in Thailand I bought a book in Thai on how to learn Chinese (I did some of that book, but did not finish it).

True that. It's a thing.

• Like 1

So. A WTM shut down from March 24 to 28. People gave me emails or texting information. Are you wanting a texting group (I don’t know if that’s the right name)? Anyone want to be added to the list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me, me, me. Add me.
  • Like 3

:grouphug: Slache. Is a nap-time slot available?

I got second sleep.

Started my next book on the stack. Nine pages in and the protagonist is compelling, the backstory is understandable and puts me in sympathy with the protagonist, the setting is described vividly through the protagonists eyes and now, at page nine, we are at the inciting incident.

The difference between a beginning writer and a very good writer with years of experience in the craft is stunning. And humbling.

#justkeepwriting

I've only finished 10. Still going though.
  • Like 3

I met my new primary care doctor today. He has the personality of a plain boiled turnip, but hopefully he is competent.  The computer systems were down while I was waiting for my labs, so they couldn't print labels. I'm headed back in after lunch. (I went fasting, but these labs don't require fasting, and I am too hungry to wait any longer.)

• Like 5