Menu

Does your pastor preach politics? (CC, obviously)

Yesterday (Sat.) my dh told me that his sermon was going to be about the war in Iraq and what the Bible says. He told me the gist of his sermon and I rebutted, advising him that he could not maintain a neutral political stance by what he wanted to say.

Without getting into the details of which party or what views a pastor preaches about from the pulpit, do you mind sharing whether or not:

1. You've had a pastor that shared (any) political view from the pulpit, or attempt (directly or indirectly) to sway others towards one particular line of political thinking.

2. If you pastor did, would it upset you? Is there any harm in a pastor openly sharing his political views?

I ask because a few members of the church asked him afterwards if he was leading up to a certain conclusion that he neglected to share- of course he was...and then upon their request he shared it with them, citing me as the reason he didn't do it from the pulpit.

Now I'm curious whether I was wrong in advising him not to.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Politics intersects with morals all the time, including the morality of a war. If he believes that the war is biblically justified or unjustified, I don't see the problem with making his case. The problem comes when he says, "Vote for this candidate". There is no way to totally avoid anything political, unless you believe that religion has no part to play in our daily lives, in which case it is meaningless.:)

ETA: Perhaps you are concerned that this particular topic is too hot to handle? If so, I understand your concern. If he feels strongly enough about it, though, I wouldn't interfere because sometimes God lays it on pastors hearts to preach hard things.

Ours just makes references/quips every now and then as to which way he leans. He's a pretty political man, not activist or anything, considering he's human sometimes it slips out. He can't help himself. :D That's why we love him. Mostly he preaches on biblical things that are political today. Does that make sense? He talks about abortion, homosexuality, etc.

All I know is that if my minister would say that the war is unjustified or immoral, we would resign our membership immediately. I strongly doubt my minister would do that since we have a high population of retired military and a number of active military in the congregation and his own son is in the service. I did decide against a church once because of their anti-war stance but that was in 1991.

Our pastor doesn't try to sway us one way or the other, but he does encourage us to prayerfully vote. But in talking to he and his wife outside of the church, it is pretty clear whose side he's on.

And I wouldn't mind a pastor sharing his political views from the pulpit, as long as they matched mine.

Just kidding! :D

He has been known to say that God is not a Democrat or a Republican.

Sojourners magazine makes a bumper sticker that says that. I keep meaning to get one!

I would be very uncomfortable with a pastor who specifically avoided talking about any issues that have political ramifications. I think there are countless issues that Christians are called to grapple with that also happen to be issues politicians deal with and make decisions about.

I have been in churches (as a child) where preachers have made sermons on political issues in election years and made it very clear that they were doing so in order to tell you who to vote for. And that, IMO (and in the law's opinion), crosses a line.

I think politics from the pulpit can be tricky. I don't think Jesus belonged to a political party and taking a side can be very offensive to a person sitting in church who may not belong to that particular party. You know not everyone belongs to the same political party and affiliation with a certain party does not a Christian make. I believe that knowing who we are in Jesus gives our life so much meaning and hearing it once a week on Sunday isn't nearly enough and we should redeem the time and concentrate on the things of God. Also, I find the politicians on both sides pretty much act the same way and many of them act in an unchristian manner. I am speaking from experience here. My oldest son is so turned off by church and one the main things he hates is talking about politics. I have told my husband when we are with him we should not talk about politics, global warming, and those kinds of things. I want him to see the truth about Jesus and not muddy the waters so-to-speak and mix politics and Christianity. Just my opinion.

Yesterday (Sat.) my dh told me that his sermon was going to be about the war in Iraq and what the Bible says. He told me the gist of his sermon and I rebutted, advising him that he could not maintain a neutral political stance by what he wanted to say.

Without getting into the details of which party or what views a pastor preaches about from the pulpit, do you mind sharing whether or not:

1. You've had a pastor that shared (any) political view from the pulpit, or attempt (directly or indirectly) to sway others towards one particular line of political thinking.

2. If you pastor did, would it upset you? Is there any harm in a pastor openly sharing his political views?

I ask because a few members of the church asked him afterwards if he was leading up to a certain conclusion that he neglected to share- of course he was...and then upon their request he shared it with them, citing me as the reason he didn't do it from the pulpit.

Now I'm curious whether I was wrong in advising him not to.

Well, being that the Bible doesn't talk about the war in Iraq, I would be seriously annoyed if a pastor did that. The pastors political feelings simply should not be spouted from the pulpit. He is entitled to have whatever political leanings he chooses, but to use the pulpit to share them? No.

My pastor does what Cadam's pastor does. He supplies information on all of the candidates and tells us to prayerfully choose.

I have sat under a pastor who preached with political intentions, and I would not advise it.

#1 The sacred call to the pulpit should be dedicated to preaching God's word. PERIOD. (which of course has implications on political matters........but I think the pastor should preach God's word as God says it and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting....at the polls and everywhere.)

#2 He is putting the church at risk for losing tax-exempt status as a church if he is openly supporting a candidate from the pulpit.

#3 The church will inevitably be needlessly split over this. Churches should split over doctrine, not politics.

My dh is in seminary right now. He is called to be a pastor and has served in various positions in several churches. To quote my dh :"If a pastor has to preach politics every 4 years, he's not doing his job the other three years!" He means that if a pastor preaches consistantly from God's word about the issues that plague humanity, the church body will (most likely) already be very united on the issues 2008, 2009, 2010...no matter the year or season.

It's a fine line. I do NOT envy the call of a pastor!:grouphug:

I have mixed feelings on this.

I used to feel that politics played no part in church. Of course, at the time I belonged to a church made up mostly of people whose politics disagreed with mine. (And this church is currently involved in a political issue in a big way, and I am 100% in disagreement with their position.)

Then I realized that churches had played important roles in advancing certain social justice issues that I felt strongly about. And like someone said, if religion is going to address our lives, it's going to have to address politics at times.

So yes, I feel it is appropriate for ministers to address political issues from the pulpit. And I don't need to always agree with my minister 100% on political issues, as long as she doesn't claim that agreeing with her is a salvation issue.

That said, I would not stay in a church if politics were the subject of every sermon, and I would not stay in a church if the minister were strongly preaching against certain issues.

No, my dh does not use the church pulpit for political purposes, and the reason is because he says that when a pastor does this then it is no longer classified a 'church' by the government and it looses it's tax exempt status. It's a legal thing. At least, this is my understanding. You might want to have your dh check it out in your state.

I have sat under a pastor who preached with political intentions, and I would not advise it.

#1 The sacred call to the pulpit should be dedicated to preaching God's word. PERIOD. (which of course has implications on political matters........but I think the pastor should preach God's word as God says it and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting....at the polls and everywhere.)

#2 He is putting the church at risk for losing tax-exempt status as a church if he is openly supporting a candidate from the pulpit.

#3 The church will inevitably be needlessly split over this. Churches should split over doctrine, not politics.

My dh is in seminary right now. He is called to be a pastor and has served in various positions in several churches. To quote my dh :"If a pastor has to preach politics every 4 years, he's not doing his job the other three years!" He means that if a pastor preaches consistantly from God's word about the issues that plague humanity, the church body will (most likely) already be very united on the issues 2008, 2009, 2010...no matter the year or season.

Paula,

I agree. You expressed it perfectly.

great post.:iagree:

My husband is a pastor who is currently serving as a US Army Chaplain. The worshipping community is primarily made up of military.

Yes, he has spoken about the war in Iraq. Yes, he does ask the worshipping community to prayerfully consider the upcoming election. No, he does not sway anyone with his political party favorite.

No. I sit under the preaching of John MacArthur and as many of you probably know he preaches the Bible. Period. Our congregation has been going through the Gospel of Luke for many, many years, a verse at a time. Biblically speaking, that's what a pastor should do from the pulpit - teach the Word of God.

No. I sit under the preaching of John MacArthur and as many of you probably know he preaches the Bible. Period. Our congregation has been going through the Gospel of Luke for many, many years, a verse at a time. Biblically speaking, that's what a pastor should do from the pulpit - teach the Word of God.

John MacArthur is your pastor?

I could never visit your church because I would be overcome with this need to have him autograph every book of his that I have, I might even ask him to autograph my MacArthur study Bible. It would be lame and embarrassing to him and, after I thought about what I had done, to me.

I'll refrain from gushing questions like "what is he like in real life?" and such.:lol:

Biblically speaking, that's what a pastor should do from the pulpit - teach the Word of God.

But isn't there a great deal of overlap? Certainly the Bible has a lot to say about poverty, and poverty is a political issue. Certainly it has, as in Jessica's example, plenty to say about war and about being peacemakers--these are also political issues.

I just have to ask, with regard to the law, that if anything ever came up like King Ahab stealing Naboth's Vineyard, wouldn't you want your pastor to preach against it, and to heck with the tax exemption? I would, and I believe a faithful pastor would find himself compelled to.

Yes, there is absolutely overlap. I agree completely. But, I believe a pastor should preach what a particular verse or set of verses says and then let us decide how to translate it into everyday, practical application. He does not draw those correlations for us, KWIM?

got it--thanks!

Not my pastor, but we are visiting my Father and the visiting Bishop (or priest not sure which) made quite a point of mentioning one candidate as the Moses of our time, and the fulfillment of MLK's dream. I thought there should have been an announcer at the end saying "This endorsement was paid for by xyz politial campaign"

Not my cuppa at all

Yes, I felt the same way the first time we went there, about 2 years ago. My husband just wanted to shake his hand and see him close-up.

He seems like a normal guy. He's a dad and grandfather. He got all choked up recently baptizing one of his grandchildren. Obviously, in such a big church one doesn't really get to spend much one-on-one time with him. We had a pie contest last summer and it was hysterical to see him sitting at the judge's table with a beret tasting pies. :001_smile:

Amen and amen! :001_smile:

I won't go into details but the comments are appreciated, being the one who hears the sermon first- I usually don't get involved at all but this time I felt like a line was being crossed or was in danger of being crossed. I will say he has asked others to prayerfully consider their votes or to call their senators and/or representatives regarding a bill to be passed in state legislature but never to endorse a candidate or political party.

Thank you for your comments and opinions, it's been a very interesting thread! :)

A pastor should never become a shill for a political party. He must remain independent so that he can preach what is in the Bible, regardless of whom that might offend. But some biblical positions are going to line up with certain party platforms. :) I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

One major reason I stopped attending church was because the services all too often became platforms for a particular political POV.

Yes, morals, religion and politics do intersect. But I went there hoping for communal worship. Instead, I got lectures. No thanks.

I believe that the pastor should preach the Word, and that the pure teaching of the Gospel toward the salvation and growth of all hearers is the priority.

My fear when a pastor takes a political position in a sermon is that he has to be really, really careful when he says that all Christians have to agree with him. Is that adding to the Word? Is that quenching the sputtering wick? Is the Bible REALLY THAT CLEAR about his position?

As a Lutheran, I believe in the concept of adiophora--which is the idea that there are some things about which reasonable, prayerful, thinking Christians can disagree without either of them being 'wrong'. Things about which the Bible is not clearly clear, IYKWIM.

And, even if the Bible is clear, I would be startled and probably a little offended if a pastor told me what to do about this. I would expect to have some persuasion applied, the case be made, about what I should think and about what God would have me believe, but I would have those hairy eyeballs toward him then going so far as to tell me to write to my congressman.

Is he ready to say that all Christians MUST write to their congressmen? Is the Bible really that clear? If we don't are we in sin? If we don't agree with doing this, and it could put us off from the Gospel, it can't be worth it.

And I would wonder, is there someone else in the pews who is so offended by this that they decide that they can't possibly be a Christian? That's completely unacceptable.

Having said that, once the pastor takes off that robe and talks in private, he can be as pushy as he pleases. And I have a lot more tolerance for political TOPICS in adult Bible class where I'm not lurching to distract a young child from the mention of something so horrible that I don't even want her to know that it exists just yet.

Our Pastor has let her viewpoint come through her comments and even the prayer request part of our service. That's fairly rare in my denomination (notice the *her* ;)) because "we" tend to stay apolitical.

I *have* been uncomfortable because, having a "step son" serving in Iraq I felt her prayer requests could have been phrased differently.

I would make a distinction between sharing from the pulpit and sharing informally.

Yes, I believe you are right, I would want a pastor to take a firm stand in such a case. But I also think that a church which is devoted to teaching the Word of God would have congregants who can rightly discern the situation, without having to be told what to think. That's the point I was trying to make. Unfortunately, there seem to be very few churches that consider it their call to teach and learn the Word in order to create wise believers who can discern for themselves.

I have never had the former happen. One time somebody in the congregation made a slight political joke during an announcement and I was very uncomfortable with it. This was not even a member of the staff.

If I had a pastor sharing political views from the pulpit, we would leave the congregation, even if we happened to agree with him. I am there to learn how to live a better life for God, not how I should vote (or what should influence that vote) come November.

I agree almost completely.:) I just think that sometimes it is the pastor's unique duty to admonish King Herod publicly, but that should n't be an everyday occurrence, and he doesn't need to tell me what bills to call my congressman about. Show me what the Bible says about war, and not just one selected passage, and let me draw my own conclusions. Maybe we agree completely on this, I'm not sure.

Yes, I believe you are right, I would want a pastor to take a firm stand in such a case. But I also think that a church which is devoted to teaching the Word of God would have congregants who can rightly discern the situation, without having to be told what to think. That's the point I was trying to make. Unfortunately, there seem to be very few churches that consider it their call to teach and learn the Word in order to create wise believers who can discern for themselves.

If my pastor started telling where my vote should go I would record it and report them to the IRS. A church cannot maintain its tax-free status *and* be politically active.

http://atheism.about.com/library/decisions/tax/bldec_BranchMinistries.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-08-antiwar-sermon_x.htm

Religion may crawl into political issues. It cannot legally crawl into politics.

Yes, I have had a minister preach politics from the pulpit. They were spreading their beliefs as being Biblical truths when they were simply opinions not based on anything Biblical without really stretching the imagination. We no longer attend that church.

Well, being that the Bible doesn't talk about the war in Iraq, I would be seriously annoyed if a pastor did that. The pastors political feelings simply should not be spouted from the pulpit. He is entitled to have whatever political leanings he chooses, but to use the pulpit to share them? No.

I agree. I wouldn't be happy even if the pastor agreed with my position.

If my pastor started telling where my vote should go I would record it and report them to the IRS. A church cannot maintain its tax-free status *and* be politically active.

Religion may crawl into political issues. It cannot legally crawl into politics.

I think I would just leave the church. I don't agree with pastors preaching politics from the pulpit but I hate to sic the government on anyone unless their crime was murder, or running a meth lab, or something like that.

I do remember having one pastor who I think crossed the line. Of course at the time I thought his comment was just wonderful and witty, but I have smartened up since then. Anyway, it was the week Clinton was elected and he read an Old Testament scripture about God bringing an enemy against Israel. But when he got the part where it named the enemy (I want to say it was the Chaldeans) he changed it Clintons. Now, where I was in terms of maturity and spiritual growth, I thought it was knee slappin' good. But I heard later that an established couple from that church got up and walked out and as they left they said to the usher "Is he planning to bring back the moral majority?" or something like that. Of course if a pastor did that in a church I was in now, I would be one of the ones walking out.

if he held back those who want more will come ask. if he says everything on his mind and it goes beyond biblical interpretation then many will say he's out of line. he can't win. I think you cautioning him was wise out of concern for him. he's new in the church!

but yes, many of our churches have had a political slant. it rarely bothers me. it has challenged me to look up things and read more in the bible to make my own opinion. our church this summer had a strong 'go green' and 'shop local' lesson....week after week! it's something he and his wife are doing and he can't help but share with everyone but it was kinda out of line. it had nothing to do with any bible scripture he threw out there.

but personally I think politics should stay out of church other than praying for our leaders/government to do a good job. hope your dh finds balance :)

At least, this *current* pastor doesn't. Or hasn't. Yet. (I don't believe he'll do that, though.)

We've had one pastor tiptoe around a certain political leaning, one that didn't mention it at all, to my recollection (not the current one), and one other who claimed to be a "Flaming Moderate" (one of the things I liked most about him), and would gently poke both sides from the middle, a little, IMO. (Liked that, too.)

I don't get much out of it when a pastor tries to take a modern political situation and frame it in specific, partisan political terms, according to a certain understanding of the Bible (unless it's *explicitly* Biblical or un-Biblical).

I believe everyone benefits when a pastor helps us to question our own motives, and examine things that are debatable through the lens of Scripture. (Meaning, what can be deduced, definitively, or by looking at like events or situations.)

(As I said, I'm not talking about things that are blatantly obvious in the Bible, just the nuances of how certain current events can be interpreted when there's no direct Biblical exhortation or counterpart).

John MacArthur is your pastor?

I could never visit your church because I would be overcome with this need to have him autograph every book of his that I have, I might even ask him to autograph my MacArthur study Bible. It would be lame and embarrassing to him and, after I thought about what I had done, to me.

I'll refrain from gushing questions like "what is he like in real life?" and such.:lol:

:iagree:

Yes, I felt the same way the first time we went there, about 2 years ago. My husband just wanted to shake his hand and see him close-up.

He seems like a normal guy. He's a dad and grandfather. He got all choked up recently baptizing one of his grandchildren. Obviously, in such a big church one doesn't really get to spend much one-on-one time with him. We had a pie contest last summer and it was hysterical to see him sitting at the judge's table with a beret tasting pies. :001_smile:

Our church has connections with MacArthur's church. We have several of our youth attending Master's College. I've never met him personally, but others at my church have. John MacArthur is practically an associate pastor at my church without ever having been there! LOL

To answer the OP, no, my pastor does NOT preach politics at all. He does not suggest how to vote nor does he support a candidate from the pulpit. In fact, at praise and prayer tonight, one of the teens raised her hand and asked for prayer that a certain candidate not win. Our pastor would not enter that as a church-supported prayer request, but did say we are commanded to pray for our government and leaders and trust that God is in control, regardless of who's in the white house.

If preachers had not preached politics, our country would not even exist! It was the presbyterian preachers of the American War for Independence who preached against the tyranny of the British crown. They gathered their congregations and actually led their congregants to the fight. Ever see the minister in "The Patriot?" (Mel Gibson). That's historically accurate. In fact, the reason there aren't very many presbyterians around today is because the British specifically targeted their churches and their parsonages. They gathered their women and children (the men were off to fight) into the churches and burned them (another historically accurate part of the movie). In Britain, the War for Independence was called "the Presbyterian Revolt." And even Horace Walpole, the British Prime Minister during the conflict, remarked "American has run off with a Presbyterian Parson."

Thank God for preachers who preach politics! It's the mark of a true Patriot.

Hey Jess,

I think you gave your dh excellent advice. My family recently left our home church of 2 years because the pastor spent the majority of his sermon guilting members for money. No question, money's important but I don't want to be hounded for it on a weekly basis. If my pastor even hinted at "political influence" I'd hit the door and not look back.

Take care!

Secondly, Matthew 18 teaches that if someone has a problem with someone or thinks they are in sin, they must first confront them about it and give them the opportunity to repent of their misdeed.

Thirdly, Paul in 1 Corinthians teaches that it is shameful for a Christians to seek to have their disagreements adjudicated by pagans in the civil sphere, though admittedly, like the church in Corinth, they fail at intra-body reconciliation regularly. I assume going to the IRS first falls into this category.

I am fifty, and I remember church conflicts from the 60s and 70s. They are just horrible.

Horrible.

And they do not serve the Gospel at all. Satan must just laugh when we do that.

Is it right to split a church over whether you should vote for one candidate or another? Is it right to turn away people from Christ because you imply or even say that Christ would want them to vote a certain way?

I believe with every fiber of my being that each and every political decision I make must be informed by God's Word. I believe that God gives guidance to us as citizens as well as in other roles in life.

But from the pulpit, I want to hear the Word, and also Biblical principles that should form the basis for these personal decisions, not just the pastor's conclusions, however heartfelt. Then leave to me what God Himself has left to my conscience. Is the pastor infallible? Perfectly informed? Able to preserve those who disagree with him in the Fellowship that God wants?

How many times on these board have we debated something and had someone change or moderate their positions because of someone else's views? How many times have we realized that we took a position with limited information, and changed it or developed a more nuanced view when we got additional information? Do we want our clergy to lead us in knowing and following the Word, or in researching 12 sides to an issue, developing a nuanced view, and then passing it on as if we should all have it as well?

(That was largely a rhetorical question, obviously.)

Taking this a step further, though, I think that once a group of Christians formulates an opinion (and that group could easily include pastors), it is quite reasonable for them to state this view and advocate for it, as long as they don't make it a condition of becoming Christian or create a stumbling block.

Jessica, I'm not referring here to your DH, but to the global issue, which I realize now that I feel very, very strongly about. I don't have a nuanced view about sermons, clearly.

Something about this thread has been quietly nagging at me. Maybe we are using the term politics differently. What if, for instance, as recently happened in Canada, a Human Rights Commission tells your pastor he can't preach about certain things because to do so constitutes a hate crime? Or maybe it won't go so far as that, but they threaten to yank your church's tax exempt status? I keep hearing "that's not legal" a lot. What about, "We must obey God rather than man?" If it is a biblical mandate, I don't really care if it is legal. I think I may be talking about something different though. Maybe I am talking, "The Bible says adultery is wrong", which might irritate the powers that be, and you guys are talking, "An 8% sales tax is a sin against God, and you need to vote Demopublican in November."