Menu

Who else starts back to homeschool on Monday 1/5?

Count us in. And like the OP, we still have a college student home.

DS and I are both eager to start again, but we both going to struggle with getting up in the morning this week. Once constraints are removed, our family turns into night-owls.

We have two weeks left in our semester. Some odds and ends need to get wrapped up, and then I have other changes to try as part of a trial run toward high school.

Umm...I guess we are.  A couple of days ago I was really looking forward to starting.  Now on the eve of starting, I'm getting cold feet.  I'm sure it is just because it is Monday and we have gymnastics to work around.

Stefanie

We're starting here!  

We finished December with a bit of a whimper, as four out of five of us had the flu as the boys and I were supposed to be finishing some semester work, so we have that to tackle and wrap up this week.  Also have to work around an orthodontist appointment and the boys need hair cuts.  Badly.  As in someone might mistake them for sasquatch.  

We went full force today! It was shoving a lazy elephant along with my 10 year old, and calming down an eager squirrel with my 5 year old and being constantly mauled by my baby. We did school on the floor today. So far we are doing good!! Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. 

Well, we were supposed to start back today but had a dentist appointment, followed by:

Drop by the eye doctor to pick up contacts

Stop by the bank to deposit $

Into the post office to mail a package

Pizza parlor for lunch

Trip to the grocery store so we can eat something NON-takeout this week

Which means it's 2:15pm and we've not done any formal schoolwork today. Kids are decompressing with a movie, I'm drinking coffee and playing online. I'd feel defeated EXCEPT that oldest (my struggling reader) brought a book with her while we ran errands ...and made it through 4 chapters. I'm pretty stoked.

Today was our first day back. I was excited and hoping to have a renewed attitude but really it was a struggle. We were all sick then entire break but I was finally starting to feel better until yesterday. So now I'm sick again and it is FREEZING and I just want to go to bed. However we did it. No fun projects and lots of cozy reading as I had wanted but only one crying episode so I say it was a successful day back.

Mostly good first day back here.  A new thing is a written schedule that we're trying to follow, to keep our focus strong, and it worked well for the most part.  The problem came because DD#2 is doing some new stuff that requires direct instruction, and DD#1 couldn't stop paying attention to me & her sister instead of doing her own work during that time.  I'm planning to relocate DD#1 during that time tomorrow, and we'll see if that helps. :)

We are!  We took 3 desperately-needed vacation weeks this December/January.  We're on a very late schedule and didn't start work until almost 11 AM today, but we're going to have to work on pushing that earlier this week.  We'll have another week in March and another in May, which I am already looking forward to.

Could have been a lot worse, but we had enough bumps today that I hope the rest of the week goes fairly smoothly. (We had a good Monday following Thanksgiving, but Tuesday was a cry/yell fest. So, hopefully it will be fairly smooth the rest of this week.) *crosses fingers* Some tears, some frustration, some late starts & goofing, a tiny bit of yelling (one kid), a stern talking-to (me to some), but overall -- liveable.

We had a pretty good day today!  My chronic problem as that all 3 of us are much fresher/more focused for challenging work - math especially - in the mornings, and I still haven't figured out how to be two places at once.  So when Shannon got stuck on her math when I was working with Morgan, I said put it aside and we'll look at it together later - and we never did.  At this point all brains are fried to the extent that it would be useless!  But Morgan had a great day, no meltdowns on either side (hers or mine!) so that's a good thing.  The plethora of choices really improves her attitude.

I told my kids that we were starting back up today, since Christmas break is over, and my son said, "Oh, is THAT why we haven't been doing schoolwork? I was wondering, but I was afraid to mention it." I guess he thought it has just been slipping my mind, and he was being so careful not to remind me. Lol!

As much as I like the structure of schoolwork, I have enjoyed the break of getting to just be MOM - reading books, making cookies, playing with new toys and games without having educational expectations or conflict. It's good to be starting back up, though.

We start back tomorrow. Today is my DH's day off so it's like our Saturday. Tomorrow we will start back full force. I have low expectations as far as attitudes and efficiency go. We have nothing going on and dinner is already prepared in the fridge so we can take as much time as we need. I have everything planned and am going to double check my materials tonight to make sure I have everything ready to go. I am resolved to be patient with everyone while we adjust to being productive human beings again!

We had a great first day back today -- it was actually longer than usual, 4.5 hours of sit-down work instead of 3. I figured that since I needed to meet with each kid for more subjects than usual, and the piano teacher was out of town, we would do more school.

And then later in the afternoon the kids played with the neighbor kids a few houses down -- we found out they'd started homeschooling recently, and we are thrilled to have other homeschoolers on our street!

We started back today. We didn't finish everything I wanted to do, but for schoolwork we got through all the main subjects plus a couple extras. I'm still in the "pack up the holiday" phase and had cleaning that needed to happen but didn't get done, but we did most of our school routine and ate dinner and got everyone to bed. Win.

Today was like scooping jello with a fork. Boys never finished math, one girl didn't even touch their reading lesson. We did accomplish Bible, free reading and science for all. Two did khan coding and one did typing. By 4pm I needed to get us out. We went to the track and ran as a family, did some bleachers and threw the football.

We started today. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't aweful either. It didn't help that I had a massive migraine yesterday and the day after affect was in full swing. :( I have such great kiddos though. It is hard to complain without feeling guilty.

I have tossed those terrible history lifepacs!!! I have switched back to SOTW and I have smiles back again. That's a bonus :)