Menu

Aack return blunder!!! What do I do?

lil' maids in a row

If Walmart donated it brand new to the thrift store and it was broken, and he then exchanged it for a working bike at Walmart, I don't see what the problem is.

ETA: Also, when you buy a bike and the gears are wonky, instead of exchanging it, take it to a bike shop.  They can usually have it running perfectly in under ten minutes.  Big box stores never assemble bikes correctly.

I really wouldn't worry about it. This is an enormous company you are talking about, not a small shop; this one item isn't going to make or break them and there's a decent chance they donated the broken item in the first place because they couldn't sell it in their stores. They have policies in place for what they will take back or exchange, and your bike was accepted. Hard as it is (this sort of thing stresses me out too--I get it), accept the new bike graciously and let your DH enjoy his gift. :)

If the bike is a Walmart brand, and it was brand new, there is only one place to return it to get it fixed/replaced:  Walmart. What would the thrift shop do?  I've never seen a thrift shop that accepted returns; in my experience items are sold as-is only.   Even if they took it back, you'd just get your money back and you'd go to Walmart to buy a new bike because now your husband REALLY wants one.

I don't buy the notion that it's OK because Walmart is a big company and can afford it (lots of people justify shoplifting that way) but it's a Walmart brand bike that you bought new, and they are the only one that can make it right. 

If they donated a broken bike, shame on them.  If the thrift shop knowingly sold a bike that was not usable as new, shame on them too. 

Sadly, I wouldn't call or go to Walmart on my own. It would be an admission of a crime, and they could call the police. If you get a reasonable person, they could tell you to pay for the bike and no big deal. But I'm not willing to wager everything on someone in Walmart being reasonable. Stores being nuts about genuine mistakes have led to this. If you decide you must pay for the bike, call an attorney who deals with small criminal matters and get his/her guidance to walk through how best to do so without getting in legal trouble.

I don't understand how the bike being from the thrift store didn't come up before DH returned it. I would've told mine what a score it was when he opened the gift.

I really wouldn't worry about it. This is an enormous company you are talking about, not a small shop; this one item isn't going to make or break them

That is the same spurious argument many shoplifters use to justify their actions. This isn't the same situation, but Walmart's size shouldn't have anything to do with it.

My guess is you will call walmart and no one will know what to do. If walmart donated the bike to the thrift store that's different than if someone else had donated the bike and your husband still returned it to walmart. Still for the sake of a clear conscious I would still probably call walmart.

Agreed. You could call but they won't know what to do. They will likely discount the bike and sell it again. I wouldn't worry about it.

As someone who has worked retail in the holiday season, I wouldn't sweat it. If it was a straight exchange, they'll either fix the bike and resell it or return it as damaged. A lot of people return gifts to stores after the holiday and not be 100% sure it even came from that store. If it were an issue, they would have said something when he tried to exchange it. They may even donate it back to the thrift store.

That is the same spurious argument many shoplifters use to justify their actions. This isn't the same situation, but Walmart's size shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Oh for heavens sake that's not what I meant. Look, this is a huge company that handles tons of returns, mistakes, goof ups, losses and so on. I am not justifying shoplifting or any other crazy notion, I'm being realistic. Loss is a part of business no matter what the size.

Sure, you can call Walmart but I'd be willing to bet they'll have NO idea what you're talking about or why you are calling, never mind why they should try to fix it. Chances are that original bike is either back on the shelf already, or labeled broken and back on a truck for donation or disposal. No one's going to go tracking it down just so you can have a clear conscience. You did nothing wrong, after all; a mistake was made when your DH returned it, but they ACCEPTED the return.

I've been in plenty of situations or mix ups like this that I've tried to fix and I have yet to meet anyone (on the store's end) who cares or doesn't just make me feel stupid for trying to do the right thing. But hey, call if you want and good luck. I don't like stuff like that hanging over my head either, no matter how honestly it came to be.

On another note (not to the OP), when someone here is trying to help, why oh why must some people go looking for issues that don't exist? C'mon, it's ridiculous to accuse me of justifying shoplifting or some such silliness just because I pointed out that Walmart is a huge company (that's not exactly news to anyone here, is it?). Clearly that means they have policies in place, not that I'm in cahoots with people who want to steal from them. It's time to start assuming that other posters have common sense even if they post before having enough coffee and aren't totally clear.

I didn't say you were justifying shoplifting or accuse you of anything. I just object to the line of reasoning that essentially says "they're a big company, so it doesn't matter." If it's not a valid argument when a shoplifter says it, it isn't valid in this situation either. I disagreed with your argument. I did not attack you personally or make any assumptions about you.

Walmart is a big company and they have a generous return policy because it makes good business sense.  They took the bike back without a receipt because of that policy: the money they might lose in returns like this is worth it to keep customers happy.  I wouldn't give it another thought.

I understand the mental/moral dilemma this poses for you. You feel like you've operated in a way that takes unfair advantage of Walmart.

At this point, however, I would remember two things: one, you did not operate out of malicious intent; two, to "make it right" would actually cause more trouble than it's worth to Walmart in terms of man hours to figure out what happened and how to address the issue going forward.

As far as they are concerned, it's a done deal. I'd encourage you to make it so in your mind too.

I understand the mental/moral dilemma this poses for you. You feel like you've operated in a way that takes unfair advantage of Walmart.

At this point, however, I would remember two things: one, you did not operate out of malicious intent; two, to "make it right" would actually cause more trouble than it's worth to Walmart in terms of man hours to figure out what happened and how to address the issue going forward.

As far as they are concerned, it's a done deal. I'd encourage you to make it so in your mind too.

That's what I would say.  You didn't intend for it to go this way.  

And I doubt that anyone at Wal-Mart would make any effort to figure out what to do in this situation.  The folks I've dealt with in their return department pretty much just want to get it done and have you leave.

If it helps your conscience, make a generous donation to a cause that Wal-Mart supports and call it day.  I've done things like that when I couldn't figure out how to make it right.

I'm not sure you did anything wrong here either.

A bike that previously belonged to Walmart was returned and exchanged for another bike due to a defect.  Some person in the back at Walmart may look at it, swap around the gears so it works and put it back out for sale.  Or the loss manager may look at it and write it off as salvage.

In neither case, is Walmart being "cheated".  You didn't "steal" a bike from them - the non-working bike has been returned to the Walmart system and exchanged for one that works.  The fact that it passed thru the hands of the thrift store did not change the fact that it was a walmart bike and they honored the exchange.

I would not stress over this at all.

It was an honest mistake with the worst thing that will happen is someone at walmart will have to fix the bike. My uncle always worked temp jobs at the holidays assembling bikes at big box stores. Your mistake gave someone a little  more work before the holiday season is over.

Just call them and explain the mistake. No one's going to prosecute you for trying to fix this; if anything, they'll be impressed by your honesty. If it's too much of a pain for them to bother, as some people said, they'll let you know. But if, now that you have realized the mistake, you choose not to try to set it right, then you are culpable--just as a person who knowingly decided to exchange a thrift store bike would be.

For all those people who said it didn't matter: would you feel that way if the individual's actions were the same as in the op, but instead of a faceless corporation being on the other end, it was a person you knew? Our actions don't become more or less morally right based on who is wronged.

I totally get what you're saying and the difficulty you find yourself in.  I'd have a hard time making the decision for Walmart that everything's fine and you don't need to do anything else. There are still some questions in my mind -- was the bike brand new and presented by the thrift store as such?  Or was it amongst their used merchandise?  (I've never heard of a store donating brand new stuff like that to a thrift store, so that part is confusing to me, too.) Even though the intent in returning the bike to Walmart and not the thrift store was unintentional, to me, there's still a responsibility to contact the store and have them tell you what to do. I guess I think of it like finding a new-with-tags shirt from Land's End in the store.  There's no way I would return that to Land's End should I get it home and find a small hole in a seam or something.  I'd take it back to the thrift store for a refund or store credit.  If it was given as a gift to someone and returned by them to Land's End (and I knew that), I'd call them, explain the situation, and ask what to do.  So, I understand that the intent of returning the bike to Walmart was unintentional on your husband's part, but I personally would call the store, ask to talk to a manager, explain the situation in full and ask what you should do. It is probably more than likely that they'll say to not worry about it, but again I'd have a hard time making that decision for them (if I was a business owner, I'd appreciate people contacting me to ask what to do rather than assume what I would do). And they may have a different route to go. 

If Walmart donated it brand new to the thrift store and it was broken, and he then exchanged it for a working bike at Walmart, I don't see what the problem is.

ETA: Also, when you buy a bike and the gears are wonky, instead of exchanging it, take it to a bike shop.  They can usually have it running perfectly in under ten minutes.  Big box stores never assemble bikes correctly.

merchants donate items because something is wrong with it, or it is missing pieces, was damaged in some way.  they didn't donate a bike thinking it was in perfect "for sale" condition.   the people at the return counter don't know much - and this time of year, are particularly busy.

any decent bike repair shop will repair a bike no matter where it came from.  if they think the bike is not worth fixing (because the repairs will cost more than the bike is worth) - that is a different story.  thrift shops around here do take returns with a receipt.  

Guest submarines

Shoplifting is a crime, returning products is their own policy. Them being a big chain has a lot to do with it--they are not operating at a loss. Their prices are set with returns in mind. And even with shoplifting in mind.

To a small family business this would be a true loss. To Walmart it is an advantage--people shop at Wamart precisely because returns are so easy, and besides, if you brought an item to return, it is likely you'll shop there again.

Guest submarines

Just call them and explain the mistake. No one's going to prosecute you for trying to fix this; if anything, they'll be impressed by your honesty. If it's too much of a pain for them to bother, as some people said, they'll let you know. But if, now that you have realized the mistake, you choose not to try to set it right, then you are culpable--just as a person who knowingly decided to exchange a thrift store bike would be.

For all those people who said it didn't matter: would you feel that way if the individual's actions were the same as in the op, but instead of a faceless corporation being on the other end, it was a person you knew? Our actions don't become more or less morally right based on who is wronged.

The bolded is not how it works in practice. They don't operate on the basis of common sense anymore, they have "policies" in place. Admitting you made a mistake is also admitting a crime and it is very often a store policy is to prosecute.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority but I totally get what you're saying and the difficulty you find yourself in.  I'd have a hard time making the decision for Walmart that everything's fine and you don't need to do anything else. There are still some questions in my mind -- was the bike brand new and presented by the thrift store as such?  Or was it amongst their used merchandise?  (I've never heard of a store donating brand new stuff like that to a thrift store, so that part is confusing to me, too.) Even though the intent in returning the bike to Walmart and not the thrift store was unintentional, to me, there's still a responsibility to contact the store and have them tell you what to do. I guess I think of it like finding a new-with-tags shirt from Land's End in the store.  There's no way I would return that to Land's End should I get it home and find a small hole in a seam or something.  I'd take it back to the thrift store for a refund or store credit.  If it was given as a gift to someone and returned by them to Land's End (and I knew that), I'd call them, explain the situation, and ask what to do.  So, I understand that the intent of returning the bike to Walmart was unintentional on your husband's part, but I personally would call the store, ask to talk to a manager, explain the situation in full and ask what you should do. It is probably more than likely that they'll say to not worry about it, but again I'd have a hard time making that decision for them (if I was a business owner, I'd appreciate people contacting me to ask what to do rather than assume what I would do). And they may have a different route to go. 

I have heard of merchants doing this.  it is almost universally because the item was defective in some way.  missing pieces, used-open-box return, etc.  iow: walmart knew there was something wrong with the bike and that's why they donated it.  what the thrift shop did with it - selling it as "new" is the thrift shop's responsibility.

I agree - contact the store manager, tell them what happened, and ask for how they would like it handled.  you will know in yourself you have been honest.

I once had a cashier put my check in my bag.  some people would  have said - just keep it, you got your items for free.  I contacted the store owner/manager, and asked what he wanted me to do (I could mail it or drop it off, etc.)  he offered me a job on the spot.  because he had no doubt about my honesty.

merchants donate items because something is wrong with it, or it is missing pieces, was damaged in some way.  they didn't donate a bike thinking it was in perfect "for sale" condition.   the people at the return counter don't know much - and this time of year, are particularly busy.

any decent bike repair shop will repair a bike no matter where it came from.  if they think the bike is not worth fixing (because the repairs will cost more than the bike is worth) - that is a different story.  thrift shops around here do take returns with a receipt.  

This only works if the bike was marked as damaged when it was donated. Merchants marked down or donate damaged goods all the time, but they identify the problem with the good to make it clear the item is "as is" and can't be returned. If Walmart knowingly donated a damaged bike to the thrift shop and did not make the damage clear then that is unscrupulous on their part because they probably also listed it in their own books for a full tax credit for the donation. 

OP I do not think you should worry about this any longer. Even if you did go to the manager of your Walmart, there's probably too much hassle to figure it out. 

I agree - contact the store manager, tell them what happened, and ask for how they would like it handled.  you will know in yourself you have been honest.

And as for the OP's husband wanting to drop it because the fretting is "ruining the gift," I'd do all the above (call, explain, make it right, etc.) without his knowledge. Not in a bad way, but I'd let him now enjoy his gift as he's requested, but would take care of my conscience and need to do right on my own, even if I had to pay full price for the replacement bike.

And crime?  I agree -- whaaaa??  The OP can tell the store she didn't do it as she explains the situation, but a gift recipient did (not naming who), and that she'd like to make it right.  There's no crime there -- just honesty and trying to do right.  It does (or can) work that way in practice.  I've seen it happen many, many times.

The bolded is not how it works in practice. They don't operate on the basis of common sense anymore, they have "policies" in place. Admitting you made a mistake is also admitting a crime and it is very often a store policy is to prosecute.

Dh (a Deputy D.A.) says there has to be evidence of both criminal intent and monetary loss. Honestly, it's rare for stores to prosecute even in cases of shoplifting, let alone an honest mistake that the person tried to correct, because they have to pay their loss prevention officers for the court time.

Mistakenly returning an item to the wrong store isn't a crime.

It's not that simple. I agree that she isn't textbook guilty of a crime because she had no intent, but that might not stop the store from calling the police. A partner's client and his wife were arrested trying to pay for an item that they mistakenly left the store with. The wife had it tucked over her arm, they had their kids, bought other stuff, didn't realize it was still on her arm until she got to the car. Husband tried to go back and pay for it, they said wait just a minute, and the police were there to arrest. Wife came in to see what the heck was taking so long and she got arrested too. It was crazy. Now if the couple were cute and white, maybe they wouldn't have been arrested. It's not something I would have thought twice about before that happened, but in discussing it with other attorneys, it's not that uncommon. We don't do criminal law and maybe I was naïve? I don't know. But I sure as hell won't be going back in a store under similar circumstances.

This only works if the bike was marked as damaged when it was donated. Merchants marked down or donate damaged goods all the time, but they identify the problem with the good to make it clear the item is "as is" and can't be returned. If Walmart knowingly donated a damaged bike to the thrift shop and did not make the damage clear then that is unscrupulous on their part because they probably also listed it in their own books for a full tax credit for the donation. 

OP I do not think you should worry about this any longer. Even if you did go to the manager of your Walmart, there's probably too much hassle to figure it out. 

and sometimes things get missed.  it can also depend upon how it was marked as defective.   while most merchants will mark something so it is obvious to the store if an unscrupulous person attempts to return it to them (i.e. cut brand/care sewn-in tags) - some items are harder to permanently mark.

And as for the OP's husband wanting to drop it because the fretting is "ruining the gift," I'd do all the above (call, explain, make it right, etc.) without his knowledge. Not in a bad way, but I'd let him now enjoy his gift as he's requested, but would take care of my conscience and need to do right on my own, even if I had to pay full price for the replacement bike.

And crime?  I agree -- whaaaa??  The OP can tell the store she didn't do it as she explains the situation, but a gift recipient did (not naming who), and that she'd like to make it right.  There's no crime there -- just honesty and trying to do right.  It does (or can) work that way in practice.  I've seen it happen many, many times.

He should probably not ride the bike until it is settled, unless the OP doesn't mind paying for 2 bikes (and is able to do so).  

He should probably not ride the bike until it is settled, unless the OP doesn't mind paying for 2 bikes (and is able to do so).  

I did mean two bikes.  It could come down to that (I don't think it will, but it could), and she could just take care of it without further comment to husband (depending, I guess, on how finances are handled in the home).