Menu

PSA re: Charlotte's Web from dd

lots-o-rice

My dd9 says it's a terrible book.  "No one should read this sad stuff!!"  She says she will never make her children read it. :)

I have raised 3 boys who read anything, and everything.  Nothing affects them.  But dd is on my bed weeping in a puddle of tears over Charlotte's Web.  This is new for me.

I guess we will not even think about Old Yeller or Where the Red Fern Grows.

Girls are so different.

Off to find nice happy animal book to make up for this one.

-K

At our house, it's Mom who can't read them aloud.  The first time I read Charlotte's Web as a read aloud when my now-college-age children were young, I was a gulping puddle of tears by the end but blamed it on pregnancy hormones.  So, what do I do?  Try again six or seven years later . . . and the same result! (no hormones to blame this time).    Unfortunately I have a lot of calloused young men in my house who love to make fun of their mother who can't read sad stories without crying.  I'm actually looking forward to reading it with my youngest dd - maybe she'll be more sympathetic.  

The same thing has happened both times we read the Chronicles of Narnia.  The last few chapters of the last book just kill me.

My son cried at the end of Charlotte's Web.

And he cried when he found out Mary was blind and that the dog died (all on the same few pages) in the Little House books.

And he cried when that wizard died in Harry Potter.

He even cried when Rome fell in SOTW.

He's very sensitive. 

I never read Old Yeller or Where the Red Fern Grows to ds, but did read Charlotte's Web.

We went to see the play one year with his playgroup. He was so upset when Charlotte died even though he said he knew it wasn't rea. When the actors came out to the lobby afterward (still in costume of course), he kept saying to Charlotte, "I'm glad you didn't really die."

I'm with your daughter.  I read it with both of my kids.  I can't read the really sad part towards the end.  I just get choked up.  I am like that with a lot of books.  I read Where the Red Fern Grows in 6th grade.  It was one of the few books I remember from that early on.  I hated it.  It was just depressing to me.  I didn't assign it to my kids.

I never saw "Charlotte's Web" as a sad story. It was always a story of fighting for the weak, looking out for others and new life to me. I would personally focus on the positive actions and control Fern and Charlotte took in saving and looking after Wilbur, and that there is something wonderful about the new birth of Charolette's babies. Death is a fact of life, but we don't have to let the idea of it crush us. 

There are plenty of other stories that have despair and bad things happen all the time, which I have real difficulty reading. Charlotte's Web is full of hope and helping others.

My kids have been unmoved by Charlotte's Web. I, too, found it a sad story. My 3rd grade teacher read it aloud to us, and I know I wasn't the only one who cried. 

I'm giving my 12 yo Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller. We'll see how tough he really is.  :lol: My mom warned us about those two. I think she would have preferred we skip them. But we didn't. My brother was pretty tough, but he agreed it was sad. My boys have a dog, though, and we didn't. I expect it will be a little more real for them. 

And now, as a mom, I'm a big teary mess. I cry all the time, through everything. My kids forgive me, but I can't get through ANYTHING without tearing up. Sheesh.  

It took my DD three tries to get past the first chapter of CW. She could manage the end OK, mostly because she knows that spiders generally don't live after laying eggs, but the idea of killing Wilbur was more than she could manage.

We still avoid books that focus on abuse or killing of animals. In many respects, I think Shiloh would be worse for her than Where the Red Fern Grows.

My son cried at the end of Charlotte's Web.

And he cried when he found out Mary was blind and that the dog died (all on the same few pages) in the Little House books.

And he cried when that wizard died in Harry Potter.

He even cried when Rome fell in SOTW.

He's very sensitive. 

My son, now 12, also cried about the fall of Rome.  He was so into Rome, he even had (still has) the Rome set from Playmobil.  When he found out Rome fell he cried and cried.  I had to keep myself from laughing.  I knew we were going to be reading it, so I thought we would "act it out" with his set.  We also owned the Pirate set as well as the Viking ship.  I had the two groups "attack" and then I read about the fall of Rome.  I was not ready for his reaction.  It still makes me laugh when I think about it.  Fond homeschool memories. :)

DD8 was ok with Charlotte's Web, Charlotte's death didn't faze her (although she already knew the story line from when DS10 read it for school). 

DS10 LOVED Where the Red Fern Grows up until the last 2 chapters...he was happily doing his assigned amount of reading and even remarked to me, "I don't know why they call it Where the Red Fern Grows, there's no red fern anywhere in this book!"  I was really worried the ending would just crush him...instead, he threw the book across the room and said it was stupid and why did I "make him read that whole book if the dogs just die at the end?!?"

I think DS needs to get in touch with his feelings.  Shiloh was hard for him to read, also.  I was thinking about adding Old Yeller and Bambi to his reading list...instead we went with Adam of the Road...which seems to feature a boy searching for his lost dog.  No wonder DS10 enjoys Pokemon graphic novels when he reads for fun.

Umm, there are no "nice, happy animal books." The animal aaaaallllllwaaaayyys dies at the end.

1. Not in Catwings.

2. Seriously, not in Catwings!

3. Or any of the Catwings sequels.

4. But seriously, you need to read No More Dead Dogs. And the entire Swindle series. And anything else by Gordon Korman.

5. And Catwings. Everybody needs to read Catwings.

It took my DD three tries to get past the first chapter of CW. She could manage the end OK, mostly because she knows that spiders generally don't live after laying eggs, but the idea of killing Wilbur was more than she could manage.

We still avoid books that focus on abuse or killing of animals. In many respects, I think Shiloh would be worse for her than Where the Red Fern Grows.

Huh. Dd is very much the same--anything natural to her, especially regarding the circle of life or things with a clear, scientific reasoning she can understand and isn't fazed by. Charlotte's Web was only problematic for the potential for Wilbur to be shot. (And we are vegetarians, so apparently dd found this doubly offensive!).

However, books with issues involving abuse, cruelty, human-on-animal violence are hugely problematic! We still haven't managed even Little Red Ridinghood as she simply cannot handle it. When Pa killed the swan accidentally in On Swan Lake she was devastated...and Shiloh was one of the most difficult, deep-discussion-provoking, anger and tear-inducing books we have read. I have completely rearranged out read-aloud lists after that. She was nearly in hysterics, but would NOT let me stop reading it because she had to KNOW what happened:(

We are just about to read Charlotte's Web. We watched the movies for Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows. All three of my kids cried like crazy. I like that. I like to see them moved emotionally. I would've never dreamed of letting them watch it without me there for them cuddle up against and talk to afterwards.

Read Charlotte's Web in 1st grade - Augh! The trauma! and have never read it again.   The best I've managed is to own a copy (and really that is only because so many people on these forums love Charlotte's Web).   Same for Old Yeller - except I don't own a copy of that one!  

DD the older is similar. She gets very upset by animals getting hurt, more so than humans even.   DD the younger OTH is pragmatic thus far - that's the way the world turns.