Menu

McCain picked Sarah Palen, Governor of Alaska, as VP

I'm no fan of Joe Biden, but to say this gal has more experience than his does is a bit odd. :001_huh:

Biden's experience is legislative; Palin's experience is executive. In terms of years served, Biden of course comes out ahead. But he's been in another branch the whole time!

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the big deal is about experience. I think it's an excuse that other politicians use to berate their opponent, but I don't think Americans that are looking for change are looking for experience. They are diametrically opposed to one another. Experience in the old Washington politics, does not look good when it comes to change.

And while I would never vote for Obama because he's pro-choice, I really don't see how his being AA would actually work in his favor. I wish I believed it, but there are far too many places where that just doesn't make sense.

Kimberly

Hurricane Sarah has arrived! (sorry, I couldn't resist) :)

I am so pumped!! Her speech was spot-on. McCain is a wise man for choosing her.

She'll take on Biden just fine in the debates. I'm glad I'm not debating her.

I'm thinkin' that beautiful smile of hers, her extensive resume, her gorgeous family and moral convictions (I could go on & on) -- are going to win some hearts and minds for the Republican cause.

Palin--McCain's surprise pick

Sarah Palin flew into Ohio last night on a very secretive Gulfstream G-4 flight. McCain's pick of this woman is a delight for social conservatives.

Sarah is with us on one-man, one-woman marriage, the life issue, guns, drilling, and reform. Married to the three-time champion of the world's longest snowmachine race (the Iron Dog), Sarah's husband is also a lifelong Alaskan and is a production operator on the North Slope. Todd and Sarah commercial fish together in Bristol Bay, being joined at their sites with their kids: Track, Bristol, Willow, and Piper. The state's Alaska Native heritage plays an important role in the life of this family.

Sarah was elected to two terms on the Wasilla City Council, and then two terms as the Mayor / Manager of Alaska's fastest growing community. During her tenure as Mayor she reduced property tax levels while increasing services and made Wasilla a business friendly environment drawing in new industry. The responsibility of managing dozens of employees including a growing police department and public works department, and overseeing the multimillion dollar capital and operating budgets provided her with hands-on, 21st Century relevant administrative experience. Sarah's demonstrated leadership was also recognized when she was elected by her mayoral peers as President of the Alaska Conference of Mayors. In this role, she worked with local, state and federal officials to promote solutions to the needs of Alaska's communities. Click here to see my Facebook page and more photos of Sarah Palin

I'm thinkin' that beautiful smile of hers, her extensive resume, her gorgeous family and moral convictions (I could go on & on) -- are going to win some hearts and minds for the Republican cause.

It's funny how you comment on how pretty she is. Here in Alaska, you see bumper stickers that say;

"Coldest state hottest governor"

Are they illegal immigrants? Most of the Russians I know here are legal immigrants.

I don't know about the Russians, but there are plenty of illegal immigrants in Alaska. They seem to be more seasonal than permanent, though!:lol: I did a google search and found several articles about raids.

Are they illegal immigrants? Most of the Russians I know here are legal immigrants.

(ooh! This is my 100th post..woo-hoo!)

Well, with most places there are legal and illegal immigrants. There are illegal immigrants here and some problems that go along with it.

Here is one example

http://edition.cnn.com/2001/LAW/06/14/sex.trafficking/index.html

Here is a snippit from fairus on Illegal Alaskan residents To read the whole article go to http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer?pagename=research_researche0bd and scroll, scroll, scroll. : )

ILLEGAL ALIENS

FAIR Estimate - FAIR’s estimate of the state’s illegal alien population as of 2007 is about 10,000 persons. This is part of an overall estimate of the U.S. illegal alien population of about 13 million persons.

INS/DHS Estimate - The INS (now dissolved into the Dept. of Homeland Security) estimated in February 2003 that the resident illegal population in Alaska was 5,000 as of January 2000. This number was 1,300 higher than the INS' 1996 estimate.

Other Estimates - The Pew Hispanic Center estimates the illegal alien population of the state at less than 10,000 of 2005

COSTS OF ILLEGAL ALIENS

Incarceration Costs -Alaska has received partial compensation under the federal State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP) that was established in 1994 to compensate the states and local jurisdictions for incarceration of "undocumented," aliens who are serving time for a felony conviction or at least two misdemeanors.

Goodness, it's been known for weeks that he'd wait til right after the DNC, and right before the RNC. That's the game of politics, not some brainy, on the spot decision.

True, but the fact that the McCain campaign was so successful at keeping Palin as his VP pick so secret until this morning really did create a "steal your thunder" situation. Everyone should be talking about Obama's acceptance speech last night, but now all the focus is shifted to McCain's VP choice. Who is she? What does she stand for? What can we learn about her? The media is really scrambling and Obama is kind of left in the dust of it all!! Brilliant move, whether it was planned in advance or not. Simply brilliant!

Now they're even saying on CNN that McCain has decided to drop the "inexperience" issue (re: Obama) because they don't feel it matters that much to anyone, and bring in his own "experience lite" candidate. This is going to be a very fun election to watch. I'm excited just because of that!!

It isn't like she's abandoning this sweet baby to the wolves. The dad is a stay-at-home dad. How is that any worse than my husband leaving me for years at a time with the military? Is my husband neglecting his family? Or doing his duty? I'm glad I'm not the one who is serving that sort of duty, but it is not at all uncommon for moms to be the ones on the go these days.

Actually dad owns his own business that is seasonal from what I've read and know of the fisherman in AS. It wraps up next month.

I watched her come out with her family - and I sobbed... To see the pro life cause displayed so beautifully on the world stage. By someone like her - it is truly amazing. And her oldest son was missing bc he is on his way to Iraq.

Money, campaign volunteer - I'll give whatever it takes now.

Add to that the fact that the McCain's have a beautiful daughter adopted from Bulgaria (I think) who has had extensive plastic surgeries to correct a cleft pallet. And they both have sons that are deployed. They probably have their finger on the pulse of the majority of America.

And she has a daughter named Piper. She obviously is a woman of Supreme Intelligence laughing024.gif

Kinda doubt that Alaska has dealt with illegal immigration. She'll likely tow McCain's (new) line.

Actually they have them up there too but Arizona is a mess because of it. I kind of think her character will keep in line. lol Reforming that is, because it costs Arizona boat loads and it's a cost nightmare here so I really think its the reforming that she is known for that will help with that problem. I hope....:confused:

She's very pro-family. She has 4 children and guards their privacy. She was speaking at a conference in Texas when her water broke. She didn't tell anyone what was happening. Gave her speech then flew back to Alaska to give birth.

Her husband is part Native American Alaskan. The Alaskans love her. I talked to my friend in Alaska this morning....she said they are happy but bummed. They don't want to loose her as Governor.

My friend was able to talk to her about home schooling issues and was very, very pleased with her support for home schooling.

This is going to be an interesting election now.......can't wait to the fire works fly.....

Actually they have them up there too but Arizona is a mess because of it. I kind of think her character will keep in line. lol Reforming that is, because it costs Arizona boat loads and it's a cost nightmare here so I really think its the reforming that she is known for that will help with that problem. I hope....:confused:

:iagree:

No serious Clinton supporter will be swayed by Palin. And only some of the "I would have voted for her because she's a woman" supporters will.

He's just not gunning for middle-of-the-road women. He's going after his own party base. If he were gunning for Clinton's fans, he would have picked somebody like Christie Todd Whitman. Or even Liebermann!

But he didn't go there. He's going after Ron Paul supporters, after NASCAR moms, and after well-educated but NOT wealthy Republicans who live among all those well-educated people who think that being well-educated means voting Democrat. He's giving bored conservatives, especially bored conservative women, a reason to make the effort. And he's trying to reassure them that being a party maverick is not the same as being a liberal.

I think he can get some of the Clinton voters on his own. His Illegal immigration policy and the fact he is liberal himself even though he is a republican gets him some of those voters already. He has gotten a lot of Latino votes here and that has kept him in office. It was the conservative voters that he seems to have trouble with and I'm one of those. He needed her to get me. I could be wrong but then I'm okay with that too.

Add to that the fact that the McCain's have a beautiful daughter adopted from Bulgaria (I think) who has had extensive plastic surgeries to correct a cleft pallet. And they both have sons that are deployed. They probably have their finger on the pulse of the majority of America.

Yes! Cindy McCain brought Bridget home from Bangladesh. I think she originally intended to provide for medical care here for a cleft palate. She fell in love with the baby Bridget on the plane home. I've read she said Bridget chose her. Then, she broke the news to her husband and they adopted her. Bridget's now in high school.

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3748634

Do you have a link that this was Obama's official reaction?

I think he's, for the most part, gotten a pass when it comes to experience.

Obama's campaign just came out w/ their official reaction to Palin's nomination. "John McCain has picked a former mayor of a city with the population of 9,000 people w/ no 0 foreign policy experience and she is now a heart beat away from the presidency." I guess they missed her 2 years of executive experience as governor of Alaska. This statement is petty, mean-spirited and completely dismissive of small town voters, in my opinion! It makes me wonder if Obama has really taken a good look at himself in the mirror.

This is the reaction I read: :confused: via FOX news

“We send our congratulations to Governor Palin and her family on her designation as the Republican nominee for vice president. Her selection is yet another encouraging sign that all barriers are falling in our politics and while we obviously have differences over how to best lead this country forward, Governor Palin is an admirable person and will add a compelling new voice to this campaign.”"]“We send our congratulations to Governor Palin and her family on her designation as the Republican nominee for vice president. Her selection is yet another encouraging sign that all barriers are falling in our politics and while we obviously have differences over how to best lead this country forward, Governor Palin is an admirable person and will add a compelling new voice to this campaign.”

I am excited because she is a mom with a son deploying to Iraq. I am the mom of a 19 year old ds that just joined the Army. His job is almost sure to be a deployed job. I had not been excited about voting at all. Now, I see a little bit of glimmer to all of this.

Well, Biden is a dad with a son deploying to Iraq next month too, so at least if he wins there is a little glimmer to that too.

I think it is also pretty interesting that McCain waited until after Obama's speech and the end of the DNC, to announce his VP. Talk about stealing someone's thunder. ;)

Smart, smart move.

Actually, this is the way it is always done (either party, that is. It's the home court advantage so to speak of the party currently in office). This is one of the advantages of the RNC being after the DNC. McCain would be a fool, and I certainly do NOT think he is a fool, to announce his vp before Obama did. If the conventions were turned, the dems - out of pure strategy would wait until the RNC was over to take their turn.

It seems McCain made a smart choice and I'm looking forward to the debates between McCain/Obama and Palin/Biden to learn more.

Biden's experience is legislative; Palin's experience is executive. In terms of years served, Biden of course comes out ahead. But he's been in another branch the whole time!

Alaska is a tiny state (so far as population goes). I just don't buy that 2 years of executive experience comes close to Biden's 35 years in congress. I'm sure he has some skills that can make up for her two years in management. Again, I'm not a fan. Just think the comparison is weak at best.

McCain's vp pick is awesome.

:hurray:

1. Young experienced in getting things done.

2. No Washington/national experience, and fights corruption.

3. Woman

4. Conservative viewpoints

I wish she was older, but she has accomplished much. Obama's accomplishments are more winning offices and holding liberal views.

She has never been in the big leagues, but has fought corruption even in her own party when she sees it. Her selection is a great strategic move in the right direction for the Republican party. She will learn the ropes of national elections. She will bring interest by younger voters and women to their party.

If McCain wins, she will probably be the first woman President.

If McCain loses, the Republican party will develop a better selection of candidates. She might be the first woman President.

She strengthens McCain's appeal to conservatives.

This is going to be some horse race.

God Bless America

P.S. I guess I can wait until after the election to learn more about Ron Paul and the Libertarian party.:tongue_smilie:

Obama's campaign just came out w/ their official reaction to Palin's nomination. "John McCain has picked a former mayor of a city with the population of 9,000 people w/ no 0 foreign policy experience and she is now a heart beat away from the presidency." I guess they missed her 2 years of executive experience as governor of Alaska. This statement is petty, mean-spirited and completely dismissive of small town voters, in my opinion! It makes me wonder if Obama has really taken a good look at himself in the mirror.

This is actually the same thing I heard after watching the nomination acceptance speech. I think this was the "unofficial reaction" while this

"We send our congratulations to Governor Palin and her family on her designation as the Republican nominee for vice president. Her selection is yet another encouraging sign that all barriers are falling in our politics and while we obviously have differences over how to best lead this country forward, Governor Palin is an admirable person and will add a compelling new voice to this campaign.â€"]“We send our congratulations to Governor Palin and her family on her designation as the Republican nominee for vice president. Her selection is yet another encouraging sign that all barriers are falling in our politics and while we obviously have differences over how to best lead this country forward, Governor Palin is an admirable person and will add a compelling new voice to this campaign.â€

Is the official response.

Guest Virginia Dawn
No serious Clinton supporter will be swayed by Palin. And only some of the "I would have voted for her because she's a woman" supporters will.

He's just not gunning for middle-of-the-road women. He's going after his own party base. If he were gunning for Clinton's fans, he would have picked somebody like Christie Todd Whitman. Or even Liebermann!

But he didn't go there. He's going after Ron Paul supporters, after NASCAR moms, and after well-educated but NOT wealthy Republicans who live among all those well-educated people who think that being well-educated means voting Democrat. He's giving bored conservatives, especially bored conservative women, a reason to make the effort. And he's trying to reassure them that being a party maverick is not the same as being a liberal.

Oh, yeah. It was a canny move. Especially considering that hundreds of thousands of people have been considering writing in Ron Paul, Bob Barr already has 6% in the polls, and 65% of registered voters don't vote. Very, very smart.

But he's still McCain. And I can't help remembering something he said to a reporter a while back, when asked about his relationship with his potential VP. (compared to the Bush/Cheney admin.) "When I'm president, nobody will have any doubt who's in charge." I don't think he's changed since then.

Biden definitely has more political experience, and is a counterpart to McCain. That can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. Palin is more comparable to Obama as far as experience goes. I think that for your average middle-American, Palin's experiences in various real jobs, then as mayor, Energy Commissioner, Governor, is just going to read as more real than Harvard law School, community organizer (????), then Senator-cum-presidential candidate.

Alaska is a tiny state (so far as population goes). I just don't buy that 2 years of executive experience comes close to Biden's 35 years in congress. I'm sure he has some skills that can make up for her two years in management. Again, I'm not a fan. Just think the comparison is weak at best.

I will defnitely tune into the Palin/Biden Debates... my former debate coach Brett O'Donnell (from Liberty University) is on McCain's communications staff -- he also prepped W. for his debates (and W. didn't do too shabbilly). I wouldn't be surprised if Brett's experience developing one of the nation's most successful collegiate debate teams helps make Palin really shine.

But then, I'm a little biased :D

I will defnitely tune into the Palin/Biden Debates... my former debate coach Brett O'Donnell (from Liberty University) is on McCain's communications staff -- he also prepped W. for his debates (and W. didn't do too shabbilly). I wouldn't be surprised if Brett's experience developing one of the nation's most successful collegiate debate teams helps make Palin really shine.

But then, I'm a little biased :D

We will know soon enough but rumor has it that Palin is an excellent debater in her own right.

She seems nice.

I don't really think she is going to have any effect on McCain, though. I can't see him really leaning on her if he wins. I think he will lean on her during the campaign only.

I might be excited if it were a Palin-McCain ticket though. We could just stick McCain in his office at Number One Observatory Circle and keep him out of the way. And Mrs. Palin could clean up Washington. And how fun would it be to have a playpen in the middle of the oval office!!!

I don't expect McCain to drop dead during the presidency and so I think she will be stuck in the VP residence and her obvious talents and gifts will not be exercised to their best use.

I sure would like her for my governor!!!!

Palin for Tennessee Governor. Yeah, I like that.

Wow, my first negative rep. Does that mean I am an official member of the boards now? Well, they did not leave a name, so I guess I will respond here. (I much rather would have responded by pm.)

Here is the comment;

wow do you really mean that- 25 years in the senate???

I guess this is referring to my comment about Palin having more experience than Obama/Biden. I guess my main thought behind this comment is that "years" in service do not so much count as much as what a person has accomplished and what they have been involved with. The difference that a person has made. Not so much time served. Lots of politicians have been involved in their positions for a long time that does not necessarily make them more experienced.

:lol: It just means that they have a brown nose... no really I agree in part with this because really it's the results more than the years because if she can get results with less years then she is the better for it. It's like being a teacher for 25 years but that mean you are good at it, nope it means that you have managed to keep it. There are many people in jobs for several years but it doesn't mean you are the best. What has he done in those years and does it measure up in the bottom line. It's kind of a slap in the face of anyone who hasn't done as much or more in that long period of time.

It isn't like she's abandoning this sweet baby to the wolves. The dad is a stay-at-home dad. How is that any worse than my husband leaving me for years at a time with the military? Is my husband neglecting his family? Or doing his duty? I'm glad I'm not the one who is serving that sort of duty, but it is not at all uncommon for moms to be the ones on the go these days.

Just to clarify: I'm not criticizing. I meant that *me* personally couldn't have done it.

No, your dh is not neglecting his family, and I apologize if I made that implication.

I think she's going to have to clean up her own ethics scandal:

http://www.adn.com/3127/story/478090.html

before she can really push the anti-corruption angle (and Obama has a very strong history of authoring and sponsoring ethics reforms in both Illinois and the Senate). It seems strange that she'd even be considered for VP with something like this going on.

Alaska legislators on Monday voted to spend up to $100,000 to investigate Gov. Sarah Palin's controversial firing of former state Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan.

It's an interesting pick, I'll give McCain that. We'll see how it goes. Reaction to it thus far seems to fall largely along partisan lines.