Menu

McCain picked Sarah Palen, Governor of Alaska, as VP

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... how exciting! John McCain has succeeded in doing exactly what he set out to do. He's solidified the conservative base with his pick of Sarah Palin.

You do realize you've been pandered to... right?

A pro-life, far, far right woman. She's so far right she's for teaching creationism in the public schools. And while the confetti is falling here... will anyone seriously tell me this woman is the most qualified person for the job? You've got a person who will be one heartbeat away from the presidency with the oldest person to run for the office. One would think that the person he'd choose would be a bit more... qualified... to take the office and not a political tool to get you to vote for him.

And just for the record... where are all the conservative Christian men who a few days ago thought it was best for a woman to remain home with the kids? This particular woman has a four-month old special needs child. Where will she be when the child she's be lauded for bringing into the world needs her? Yeah, that's right... making speeches about family values filled with anti-abortion rhetoric.

What McCain has done is remove any doubt that he's even trying to heal the wounds of the last eight years. With this pick he's announcing loud and clear that he's going to be Bush part III and there is no room at the table for anyone else. No reconcilliation, no apologies and no changes. It's full speed ahead with more of the same.

Now how in the world can anyone be happy about that?

(Oh, and I just have to add... Bush signing his little drilling bill didn't do ANYTHING to the price of gas. Nothing changed but the supply on the world market which happened regardless of Bush. If any drilling finds anything you won't see any results of it for at least ten years. Please tell me you aren't that naive to think it had an effect.... please...)

The one thing about this pick that should worry him (and perhaps motivate Democrats) is that she gives the impression of someone who's ready to flip anybody the bird and make something happen. One of the dangers of picking a strong personality--you never know when it's going to come back and bite you!

I believe I might pay money to see someone pull that! Maybe if more people did that in Washington it wouldn't be such a slimy place.

"Of course I'm your friend (as I sneak off to stab you in the back)!"

Or better yet, "Can't we all just get along? (as again, I sneak off to stab you in the back)

That is what I'm absolutely sick of in our government and would love to have someone in there who will actually accomplish something. Anything!

eta: that goes for ALL politicians - not one side or the other.

Well... how exciting! John McCain has succeeded in doing exactly what he set out to do. He's solidified the conservative base with his pick of Sarah Palin.

A pro-life, far, far right woman. She's so far right she's for teaching creationism in the public schools. And while the confetti is falling here... will anyone seriously tell me this woman is the most qualified person for the job? You've got a person who will be one heartbeat away from the presidency with the oldest person to run for the office. One would think that the person he'd choose would be a bit more... qualified... to take the office and not a political tool to get you to vote for him.

And just for the record... where are all the conservative Christian men who a few days ago thought it was best for a woman to remain home with the kids? This particular woman has a four-month old special needs child. Where will she be when the child she's be lauded for bringing into the world needs her? Yeah, that's right... making speeches about family values filled with anti-abortion rhetoric.

What McCain has done is remove any doubt that he's even trying to heal the wounds of the last eight years. With this pick he's announcing loud and clear that he's going to be Bush part III and there is no room at the table for anyone else. No reconcilliation, no apologies and no changes. It's full speed ahead with more of the same.

(Oh, and I just have to add... Bush signing his little drilling bill didn't do ANYTHING to the price of gas. Nothing changed but the supply on the world market which happened regardless of Bush. If any drilling finds anything you won't see any results of it for at least ten years. Please tell me you aren't that naive to think it had an effect.... please...)

And, Phred, I couldn't be happier! She's an awesome pick!

Please stop spouting the same old, worn out mantra of "we won't see any results of it for at least 10 years." It's just not true at all. Whether you like it or not speculators would take that into account and prices would go down.

Are you feeling threatened, Phred? Worried, maybe? I think it's a brilliant move by McCain. And, it's pretty apparent that there are several of us on this board that are quite happy about his pick.

She wanted to teach creationism along with evolution. Then she said she wouldn't dig her heels in on the issue.

Why do you think she's not qualified. Her public record is pretty impressive, imo.

I have to admit this bothers me a bit, but who am I to say what her calling in life is? She seems to be someone who gets results. She might just be what our country needs.

Um...well MY prices went down and stayed down. I didn't say I thought it was because we were drilling anywhere. I think it's because of the announcement itself.

One would think that the person he'd choose would be a bit more... qualified... to take the office and not a political tool to get you to vote for him.

And I hope it works! She's awesome! Hurricane Sarah has hit land and we are in for a wild ride!!

As for her qualifications, she is more qualified than Obama -- whose main credential is giving speeches. She has balanced a budget (Obama hasn't), she has executive experience (Obama doesn't).

Now if she had met a payroll before and had private sector business experience (like me) that would really seal the deal. Oh well. No ones perfect :)

McCain Palin '08 :)

Phred's back...:D

And I hope it works! She's awesome! Hurricane Sarah has hit land and we are in for a wild ride!!

As for her qualifications, she is more qualified than Obama -- whose main credential is giving speeches. She has balanced a budget (Obama hasn't), she has executive experience (Obama doesn't).

Now if she had met a payroll before and had private sector business experience (like me) that would really seal the deal. Oh well. No ones perfect :)

McCain Palin '08 :)

I thought I read that she helped her husband run a commercial fishing business. So there ya go!

Phred's back...:D

Aren't you glad we have someone to point out how gullible and dumb we poor right wing women really are? :lol: I never would have thought that this might be a political maneuver to get that female vote! I declare! What is the world coming to! :lol::lol:

This particular woman has a four-month old special needs child. Where will she be when the child she's be lauded for bringing into the world needs her? Yeah, that's right... making speeches about family values filled with anti-abortion rhetoric.

So, you think she should have not brought him into the world? Or that maybe her other 4 kids don't need her because they don't have special needs???? Just trying to understand what you meant by that statement.

What I've been finding humorous is all of the "heartbeat away" talk in relation to her inexperience. As if that is somehow worse than having the #1 office holder be inexperienced.

The other thing is all of the talk about experience (meaning time in office), what I'm more interested in is the accomplishments or achievements -- other than "hey, I voted for that." I'm still looking for something substantive Obama has done throughout his years of experience.

Lastly, the comments about McCain/Palin representing the same-old same-old Washington mindset. Excuse me... but McCain and Biden are about equal on the time served and Washingtonian mindset scale (although MCain has been a regular thorn in the Republican Party side with his willingness to NOT walk lock-step along party-lines more so than Biden), and Obama has spent a nice chunk of time in DC as a senator as well.

Palin -- to me, she represents anything BUT a Washington politician mindset, or same-old Bush policies. The woman has guts to say no -- in much the same way Reagan was willing to shut down the gov't in an attempt to force Congress to reign in spending back in the 80's.

From what I've heard Obama/Biden sound more like the same-old Democrat guard -- just better from the past how ever many years I'm (for once) too young to count.

So, you think she should have not brought him into the world? Or that maybe her other 4 kids don't need her because they don't have special needs???? Just trying to understand what you meant by that statement.

Or maybe this is his thinking...if so then :mad:

Let the tomatoes fly, but Phred has a point. I have read twenty pages of Pro Palin, and some people , you would think are her campaign mgr.

If I was voting on her past experience and credentials, a lot of you are more qualified. Mind you , I am not voting because, I have not seen one person I believe in. Sorry , that is just my pov.

Mayor and two yr. gov. does not a President make. I could fall for her story, because I am a woman, SAHM, small business owner, special needs aunt. But all of these things do not qualify myself or her for president, and isnt that basically what she is running for. Sorry she did not pull on my heartstrings and make me run down to register.

Okay, be nice.

Jet

Come on......you KNOW that's not what he meant. Hello, what person in their right mind would come out and say that, let alone on this board?

Jeez, I'm with Newbie. 20 pages of PalinPalooza Love Fest, and one person disagrees, and your ready to tar and feather him as a babykiller? That's just not fair.

Wow..... Everyone complains that PHRED is inflammatory.

Astrid

Just found another article. Here it is:

What Palin does for McCain, and to Obama

I loved this article. Especially this part:

"However, the nature of the experience couldn’t be more different. Palin spent her entire political career crusading against the political machine that rules Alaska — which exists in her own Republican party. She blew the whistle on the state GOP chair, who had abused his power on the same commission to conduct party business. Obama, in contrast, talked a great deal about reform in Chicago but never challenged the party machine, preferring to take an easy ride as a protegé of Richard Daley instead."

Come on......you KNOW that's not what he meant. Hello, what person in their right mind would come out and say that, let alone on this board?

Jeez, I'm with Newbie. 20 pages of PalinPalooza Love Fest, and one person disagrees, and your ready to tar and feather him as a babykiller? That's just not fair.

Astrid

You know, it might not be that he disagrees with McCain's selection. It might be his condescending attitude and his snarly tone. But maybe he is not really like that in real life, maybe he just doesn't know how to communicate in a respectful courteous way, bless his heart.

Oh, Kelli, I really wanted to rep you for "Bless his heart". But I am out, alas.:lol:

You know, it might not be that he disagrees with McCain's selection. It might be his condescending attitude and his snarly tone. But maybe he is not really like that in real life, maybe he just doesn't know how to communicate in a respectful courteous way, bless his heart.

Astrid

Um, no, I dont know what he meant. That is why I was asking (nicely) Not once did I label him a tar and feather baby killer. EVER. You have NO idea the comments I have had in my little ones life time. Things no parent should ever have to hear about their child. This is one board I figured I'd be safe from that, so I didn't want to ASSUME he meant what he came across as sounding like....so I was honestly just trying to see what he meant. Sorry if I offended.

Let the tomatoes fly, but Phred has a point. I have read twenty pages of Pro Palin, and some people , you would think are her campaign mgr.

If I was voting on her past experience and credentials, a lot of you are more qualified. Mind you , I am not voting because, I have not seen one person I believe in. Sorry , that is just my pov.

Mayor and two yr. gov. does not a President make. I could fall for her story, because I am a woman, SAHM, small business owner, special needs aunt. But all of these things do not qualify myself or her for president, and isnt that basically what she is running for. Sorry she did not pull on my heartstrings and make me run down to register.

Okay, be nice.

Jet

She is not running for president. She will be in the VP spot if elected.

So, IMHO she isn't required to have quite as much experience as the pres. canditate.

But, that's not why I'm excited about her. I'm excited because she doesn't do things the way they've always been done. She isn't the typical face of Washington. She has values and stands by them rather than just putting on a front that she thinks the voters want to see. That may be a turn off for some people, but I am so thrilled to think there might actually be people who are out there to do the *right* thing instead of the most politically expedient.

The reality is again, this, She is not running for president. In reality will she be able to make grand sweeping changes? Nope. Will she get experience that may help her in 4 years to be a candidate that we can really get behind? I sure hope so. The Republican party has been in a sad state for many years. A lot of disillusionment and disgust. How refreshing to have a fresh, young(ish) face who is actually representing what I believe.

And that, dear Phred, is what you don't seem to understand. She represents what I want to see in government, as unpleasant as that may be to you. It may be political pandering to try to get someone who would have voted for Hillary by nominating a woman. But I could care less that she's a woman. I care that she really represents what I believe.

In my opinion, she was taking issue with his words, not his tone. That's what she quoted in her reply. I"m pretty sure if Phred said the sky is blue, there would be indignant outrage.

astrid

Nice, I just spit brownies all over the screen!

...bless his heart...:lol:

I think it is also pretty interesting that McCain waited until after Obama's speech and the end of the DNC, to announce his VP. Talk about stealing someone's thunder. ;)

Smart, smart move.

Yep, his timing was perfect.

The news should have been all Obama today; instead, it was all McCain/Palin. Very effective marketing ploy.

In my opinion, she was taking issue with his words, not his tone. That's what she quoted in her reply. I"m pretty sure if Phred said the sky is blue, there would be indignant outrage.

I would agree with him because that would be truth. ;)

I am surprised at the assumption that this woman is qualified to take over if anything should happen to Senator Mccain. She was a communications major prior to becoming mayor and Governor. Not sufficient for me.Not even close. I am stunned that her gender and pro life position(for the "innocent") is enough to support this nominee.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Sarah_Palin.htm

As regards foreign policy I am convinced that this candidate has not the education or experience to handle a crisis with Pakistan (Musharrif is not our ally) or heaven forbid Russia...I am clearly not a social conservative but the unquestioning support shown here with no idea what her positions are on any domestic policy save that of the few social issues is just breathtaking to me.

I took this choice as a slap in the face to women who supported Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary. If John McCain thinks that just because he picked someone in a dress it's going to appeal to these women he's nuts. Just another example of how out of touch he is with the American people, and shows that even his political strategy is (IMHO) weak.

I am surprised at the assumption that this woman is qualified to take over if anything should happen to Senator Mccain. She was a communications major prior to becoming mayor and Governor. Not sufficient for me.Not even close. I am stunned that her gender and pro life position(for the "innocent") is enough to support this nominee.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Sarah_Palin.htm

As regards foreign policy I am convinced that this candidate has not the education or experience to handle a crisis with Pakistan (Musharrif is not our ally) http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-pakistan-usaug19,0,7346165.story or heaven forbid Russia...I am clearly not a social conservative but the unquestioning support shown here with no idea what her positions are on any domestic policy save that of the few social issues is just breathtaking to me.

From what I've read, Sarah Palin has taken on Big Oil (in favor of windfall taxes on gas/oil companies, threatened to kick Exxon out of Alaska, etc.), and is not afraid to take on her own party when it's wrong (something the Republicans NEED badly). Among other things...

It was neat seeing the news media list her accomplishments -- things she's actually done. It stands in contrast to this interview I saw on Hardball one night, where Chris Matthews kept asking "What has Obama DONE?" -- and the Obama spokesperson kept stammering and going back to what a wonderful person Obama is, and that he represents change the

country needs. Matthews would again ask, "But what has he DONE?"

She may not have years and years in office, but those years (before office and during) have been busy accomplishing things...

Including turning DOWN federally funded, pork-projects for her state (Bridge to Nowhere) to which it was reported Obama voted FOR.

I'd like to see Palin take the red pen to the federal budget :D

This is a key point for me in the experience debate. What exactly has Obama DONE?

He talks and talks about CHANGE . . . and then picks Joe Biden as his running mate.

He talks and talks about equality and women's rights . . . but it is John McCain who picks a female running mate.

When I vote for a politician, I expect to see results; Sarah Palin has those results to back up her talk.

astrid

I'm still waiting for him to explain what he meant. For the record, I've never see Phred before. So I'm not sure what you mean about saying I'd disagree with him about the sky color......

I had given up hope that he could. It is very exciting!

That's okay. I like being pandered to. :D

(Not really, but I couldn't resist saying so.)

You've got a person who will be one heartbeat away from the presidency with the oldest person to run for the office. One would think that the person he'd choose would be a bit more... qualified... to take the office and not a political tool to get you to vote for him.

I'm pretty darned impressed with what she's accomplished in such a short time. Accomplishments are worth more than years of experience.

And just for the record... where are all the conservative Christian men who a few days ago thought it was best for a woman to remain home with the kids?

As a working mom myself, I don't listen to them anyway.

It's full speed ahead with more of the same.

I had an opposite reaction when I heard who he picked. I think he sent a message today that his administration won't be politics as usual.

Guess it was just a coincidence that supply went up just as Bush signed the bill. If more domestic or offshore drilling will take at least ten years to have an effect, it's a crying shame we didn't start 10-12 years ago.