Menu

McCain picked Sarah Palen, Governor of Alaska, as VP

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We are very very happy with the pick. Woo hooo!!!!! She is more conservative than McCain that makes me so happy. I told my dh that she should have ran for President. :001_smile:

I am very happy about this VP pick!!

HOlly

The part that's really exciting?

If McCain wins, we have an all-female race in 2012, guaranteed.

McCain won't run for a second term. He'll be too old. Palin will run in 2012, and barring gross misconduct during McCain's term, she'll get the nomination. And then guess who will get the Democratic nomination?

That will be quite. a. race.

Really? I'm watching MSNBC right now and they're still speculating. Have you heard it's definite?

Interesting choice, imho. Two years ago she was mayor of an Alaskan town. But I do love to see women in high political offices, regardless of their affilliation! :001_smile:

astrid

She's also got a reputation (deservedly so) for being an anti-corruption governor. She has worked to clean up the Alaskan Republican party and has had a lot of success. Her nickname is, "Sarah Barracuda".

This could make me waiver on my pledge to vote 3rd party...I never expected McCain to make such a great choice. Wow.

LOL! See how closely the HIVE has its finger on the pulse of the nation? Just literally four seconds after I hit "submit," Joe Scarborough came on with confirmation that it's Palin.

Looking forward to seeing her debate Biden.

astrid

McCain won't run for a second term. He'll be too old. Palin will run in 2012, and barring gross misconduct during McCain's term, she'll get the nomination. And then guess who will get the Democratic nomination?

The mind boggles.

:willy_nilly:

:party: :party: :party:

Yep, Biden is a tough debater...

LOL! See how closely the HIVE has its finger on the pulse of the nation? Just literally four seconds after I hit "submit," Joe Scarborough came on with confirmation that it's Palin.

Looking forward to seeing her debate Biden.

astrid

From Fox News:

Born in Idaho, Palin moved to Alaska with her parents, to Charles and Sally Heath, when she was 3 months old.

She grew up in Wasilla, just outside of Anchorage, and played on the Wasilla state championship girls’ basketball team. She was crowned Miss Wasilla in 1984 and was a runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant.

Palin studied journalism and political science at the University of Idaho and graduated in 1987. She eloped with her high school boyfriend, Todd Palin, in 1988 to save money on an expensive wedding. She helped out in her husband’s family commercial fishing business and appeared occasionally as a television sportscaster.

Palin won a seat on the Wasilla City Council in 1992 as a new face and a new voice, and by opposing tax increases. Four years later she was elected mayor at 32 by knocking off a three-term incumbent. At the end of her second term, party leaders encouraged her to enter the 2002 race for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor. Against veteran legislators with far more experience, Palin finished second by fewer than 2,000 votes, making a name for herself in statewide politics. She was elected Alaska’s youngest and first woman governor in 2006.

Sarah and Todd Palin have five children: boys Track, 19, and Trig, 4 months, and daughters Bristol, 17, Willow, 13, and Piper, 7. Track Palin joined the Army last September and will deploy to Iraq on Sept. 11. Palin gave birth to Trig, who has Down syndrome, in April and returned to work three days later.

If McCain picks Palin or another woman, she will be the second vice presidential candidate from a major political party. The first was New York Rep. Geraldine Ferrarro, who was Walter Mondale’s Democratic running mate in 1984.

FOX News’ Carl Cameron and the Almanac of American Politics contributed to this report.

She's younger than Obama, relatively inexperienced like Obama, and will have much of the celebrity appeal he has (she was even a beauty queen, lol). She has a son on the way to Iraq.

I think it was a really good choice in terms of voter appeal, though not necessarily in terms of having an experienced VP who would be ready to be CIC. It certainly makes things more interesting. I had never heard of her but I like her!

I can't decide how I feel, though, about a woman with a 3 day old baby going back to work and with a 6 month old baby running for VP. On one hand, why shouldn't she? Men would do it in a heart beat and it would probably boost their ratings to have cute baby in the campaign bus. But I wonder if people will see it different for a woman. I'm trying not to.

I can't decide how I feel, though, about a woman with a 3 day old baby going back to work and with a 6 month old baby running for VP. On one hand, why shouldn't she? Men would do it in a heart beat and it would probably boost their ratings to have cute baby in the campaign bus. But I wonder if people will see it different for a woman. I'm trying not to.

I admit I'm having a bit of a time wrapping my head around this three day thing. Six month-old on the bus is pretty cool, though.

Look at the way past queens have run countries in the past with wee ones. It can be done.

Oh, and does anyone know if she took the baby to work with her or if she left him with his dad or hired a nanny?

She was the *only* VP pick that truly excited me -- and I'm here in Virginia! Palin is who I put down on the "who would you like to see as McCain's VP" thread.

In many ways, she represents what I feel is what is the best the Republicans have to offer (and hey, she's not much older than me). She's smart, willing to do what needs to be tone, tackle tough situations, live her beliefs (not living in the gov' mansion, but at her home), and show that working women can have a baby and their career too.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of her in the coming weeks.

The race has finally gotten interesting for me.

Hard to say, on this one. My babies were always *very* portable--more so than my older dc.

Yep' date=' Biden is a tough debater...[/quote']

She has five children. Debate? Biden won't have nothin' on her. ;)

I'm very excited about the pick. Just googling around to find out some informtaion. So far, she seems fresh, no-nonsense, hard working and non-traditional. I like it. I think I'm going to like this.

Lisa

Yay!!! Just when I thought there was nothing for me to get excited about in this election-- I am really excited about this. I am so glad McCain decided to shake things up a bit, rather than going with the status quo (i.e. Romney).

I am finally engaged this election year! :lurk5:

Erica

Hillary?? I think she's lost her political edge and future. Now if you meant Caroline Kennedy -- I think she could pull it off.

This could make me waiver on my pledge to vote 3rd party...I never expected McCain to make such a great choice. Wow.

Me, too, Jugglin', me too. We'll see. If I heard that she was a "Ron Paul Republican" it would sway me even more.

= = = = =

For all the "change" the opposing candidate speaks of, it appears Palin is the one that has seen and made change to happen. It's not rhetoric and campaign fluff for her. Plus she's fresher, younger and more exciting than Mr. Obama (IMHO!).

She's a hockey mom so she's one of my peeps! :D McCain has always considered himself a bit of a maverick so this choice fits right with that. It would have been very easy to pick another Washington insider (note to Obama.)

On the news however, they're already talking about her inexperience. I guess experience only counts for VP, not president! The hypocrisy of the media never ceases to amaze me!

This is really possible. I had not thought about that!

Kudos for McCain. It was brilliant on their part to choose a woman to run with him!

What about her impresses you, Beth?

I am one of many who know little or nothing about her.

Perhaps one reason I can't find much about her is that she was part-time mayor of a village of ~5500 people just two years ago. City council before that. :blink:

I, too, want to see her educational background. So far all I can dig up is a bachelors in journalism from U of Idaho. (But that was wiki, so who knows, lol!)