Menu

McCain picked Sarah Palen, Governor of Alaska, as VP

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Sarah Palin "play" as a female Ronald Reagan? As I've thought about this today, that's what I'm thinking.

I think Reagan was popular because he could communicate in a way that sounded like a regular ole person with common sense and an optimistic, can-do approach. I think she's going to end up filling that vacancy. She's a great communicator. She sounds authentic. She sounds like she has common sense and a fighting, can-do spirit. I'm guessing that, in addition to solidifying McCain's base, she's going to appeal to Reagan Democrats. We'll see.:lurk5:

I was thinking that same thing today.

She seems like a regular person, like someone I would be great friends with if she lived in my town.

She did seem to be a very effective communicator in her speech today. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better over the next weeks.

And that, dear Phred, is what you don't seem to understand. She represents what I want to see in government, as unpleasant as that may be to you. It may be political pandering to try to get someone who would have voted for Hillary by nominating a woman. But I could care less that she's a woman. I care that she really represents what I believe.

Oh, you so hit the nail on the head there! That is exactly what I wanted to say, but you said it perfectly. Thank you!

And, Phred, if you think this is such a terrible choice for VP, you should be happy! Surely you know that right wing religious extremists like us are but a small minority in this country, so we won't be able to elect a president and vice president that are so *clearly* unfit for the job, when everyone else can see right through them? Unless, of course, as I suspect, this ticket actually will appeal to a much broader range of people than you imply... in which case, you have cause to worry. :tongue_smilie:

Erica

In my opinion, she was taking issue with his words, not his tone. That's what she quoted in her reply. I"m pretty sure if Phred said the sky is blue, there would be indignant outrage.

astrid

Except it would be unlikely that Phred would simply say "the sky is blue." There would likely be some antagonist rhetoric surrounding it.:D

BTW, I would have no problem with agreeing to the simple statement, "The sky is blue" even if it came from Phred.;)

You do realize you've been pandered to... right?

Pander (v.): To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses

Well, I certainly don't see my wanting Mr. McCain to select a running mate who has a track record of achieving reform and who seems willing to buck the status quo as a "lower taste" or "weakness," so, NO, I reject the idea that I've been pandered to.

A pro-life, far, far right woman.

Nope ... still no pandering.

And while the confetti is falling here... will anyone seriously tell me this woman is the most qualified person for the job? You've got a person who will be one heartbeat away from the presidency with the oldest person to run for the office. One would think that the person he'd choose would be a bit more... qualified... to take the office and not a political tool to get you to vote for him.

Mr. Obama has the qualifications? I sure don't see it. When you say she's not the most qualified, you're essentially comparing the Republican ticket to the Democratic ticket. As I said elsewhere, it was Mr. Obama's very LACK of experience (apart from his positions, of course) that I find concerning....but HE is running for president - she is not. Big difference. I agree that he's a charismatic speaker, but beyond that ... style, no substance. Yet Palin has an actual track record of reform, and, dare I say it, "change" which is SO highly touted by Mr. Obama's campaign.

And just for the record... where are all the conservative Christian men who a few days ago thought it was best for a woman to remain home with the kids?

Which men? Which "few days ago?" (Did I miss a thread?) Yes, there will be men who do not believe that there should be a woman in leadership politically. I'm not sure what your point is. You have made clear many times that you believe that Christians are hypocrites - so why would you be surprised to see (theoretically) what you believe already to be true?

This particular woman has a four-month old special needs child. Where will she be when the child she's be lauded for bringing into the world needs her?

I've read a few articles that Mr. Palin "holds down the fort" so to speak (I believe she said she cdn't have done it without him - being organized at home, etc.), but that she also takes the baby with her sometimes. Is that a problem? Do you think that women should always stay home with their children?

Yeah, that's right... making speeches about family values filled with anti-abortion rhetoric.

And would you expect someone who has actually LIVED her beliefs to fill her speeches with pro-choice rhetoric? I'm really just not sure of your point.

I do understand that Mr. McCain's choice probably angers or dismays you, but I don't really 'get' your level of vitriol about this.

I think that's just it. I think a lot of women will be thinking along with you , "I could be friends with her if she lived in my hometown." I'm sitting here with the TV on, and saw Sarah Palin shopping with her kids and shaking people's hands in a store and it hit me how I could identify with her. It actually surprises me to find myself able to identify with a vp candidate and how different it is compared to a male candidate. It's not just that she's a woman, but that she's a woman that I feel I can relate to. Just interesting.

Ya' know, Phred, McCain's VP choice makes a lot more sense to me than the choice of Joe Biden by the man who has spent all year campaigning on CHANGE.

I have to agree with you there. I am still trying get excited about Biden.

Nope, not excited yet.

I just wish the McCain-Palin ticket were reversed. Now that would be exciting.

I think that's just it. I think a lot of women will be thinking along with you , "I could be friends with her if she lived in my hometown." I'm sitting here with the TV on, and saw Sarah Palin shopping with her kids and shaking people's hands in a store and it hit me how I could identify with her. It actually surprises me to find myself able to identify with a vp candidate and how different it is compared to a male candidate. It's not just that she's a woman, but that she's a woman that I feel I can relate to. Just interesting.

True, I could never relate to Hillary Clinton. I just never felt like she understood what it is like to be any woman other than a career woman. I think Mrs. Palin could come much closer to understanding my life as well as the life of a career woman.

[quote=Phred;493373

You do realize you've been pandered to... right?

At least McCain was smart enough to "pander" to us women? Who did Obama pander to w/ Biden...rich, white middle-aged Washington insiders? Not much for me to get excited about. So much for an "agent of change."

I also think the fact that Palin is the only governor of a state which is surrounded by 2 foreign countries is being overlooked. I'm sure she's had to deal w/ foreign policy issues w/ both countries so that should count for something.

I am surprised at the assumption that this woman is qualified to take over if anything should happen to Senator Mccain. She was a communications major prior to becoming mayor and Governor. Not sufficient for me.Not even close. I am stunned that her gender and pro life position(for the "innocent") is enough to support this nominee.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Sarah_Palin.htm

As regards foreign policy I am convinced that this candidate has not the education or experience to handle a crisis with Pakistan (Musharrif is not our ally) http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-pakistan-usaug19,0,7346165.story or heaven forbid Russia...I am clearly not a social conservative but the unquestioning support shown here with no idea what her positions are on any domestic policy save that of the few social issues is just breathtaking to me.

thanks for making the case that Obama [and former Prez Clinton :D] isn't qualified either ;)

for the record, i have stated previously that it ISN't Obama's [or Palin's] lack of experience or youth that concern me --it is their stated policies and actions that i am looking for. I like what I've seen Palin say and do. I don't like what i've seen Obama say or do. I don't like what i've seen McCain say or do either.

I'm not ready to vote for McCain just because he picks a great, conservative VP. But if he does win, i won't be concerned about her lack of experience any more than i am concerned about Obama's --they will both choose cabinets and advisors for the areas in which they have no real experience. It is their track record of good decisions and display of character that will help solidify their future political careers.

i do look forward to seeing what comes of her in this campaign, and maybe she'll make a run w/ Jindal later ;)

Dipping my toe into a presidential thread for the first time...

I'd say Palin is an bold, interesting choice for sure. However, the choice only solidifies my opposition to McCain. (Though in all honesty, his position on the war in Iraq means he never had a chance with me anyway.) My cynical reading of the choice is that it blatantly panders to women, with an eye toward wooing disaffected Clinton supporters. The experience factor is very troubling to me because of McCain's age and health issues. Also since all of her experience has been in a city and state with fairly low populations, I'm not confident in her ability to fully understand the economic and social realities of life in our country's urban centers.

Oh well, if nothing else the McCain-Palin ticket will make for an interesting race.

I've decided I don't think the choice was primarily to woo the female vote and disaffected Clinton supporters (is there really anyone out there who supported Hilary who is going to like Palin? I mean, really...).

I've decided I think he's trying to woo the populists. That was a bit of a concern with Biden - he appeals to populists, and you know what happened the year Perot ran. I think the populists are the swing votes that the two main candidates are competing for with their VP choices.

It helps that she is a woman, and that she shores up the conservative base. But both she and Biden have strong appeal to the populists. Her especially. Think about it... what could be more perfect than a staunch social conservative that comes across as a female Perot?

Let's see if her inexperience trips her up during the campaign/debate process. I believe any mistakes she makes though, will only make her look more human (instead of inept), therefore more appealing.

I agree. It's going to be a very interesting election!

Come on......you KNOW that's not what he meant. Hello, what person in their right mind would come out and say that, let alone on this board?

Jeez, I'm with Newbie. 20 pages of PalinPalooza Love Fest, and one person disagrees, and your ready to tar and feather him as a babykiller? That's just not fair.

Wow..... Everyone complains that PHRED is inflammatory.

Astrid

I'd say it's more inflammatory to put words into people's posts. I simply can't find her using the word babykiller anywhere.

And I wouldn't expect a newbie to KNOW what anyone meant by anything. How about a little slack here?

thanks for making the case that Obama [and former Prez Clinton :D] isn't qualified either ;)

for the record, i have stated previously that it ISN't Obama's [or Palin's] lack of experience or youth that concern me --it is their stated policies and actions that i am looking for. I like what I've seen Palin say and do. I don't like what i've seen Obama say or do. I don't like what i've seen McCain say or do either.

I'm not ready to vote for McCain just because he picks a great, conservative VP. But if he does win, i won't be concerned about her lack of experience any more than i am concerned about Obama's --they will both choose cabinets and advisors for the areas in which they have no real experience. It is their track record of good decisions and display of character that will help solidify their future political careers.

i do look forward to seeing what comes of her in this campaign, and maybe she'll make a run w/ Jindal later ;)

I think being an attorney and teaching at a top ranked law school is a better education than a degree in mass com. Maybe you do not agree about a law degree and the difficulty of obtaining said degree but let me say it was hard. I know.

Oh and Obama has what experience with foreign relations?

Obama is on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He co-sponsored the Cooperative Proliferation Detection, Interdiction Assistance, and Conventional Threat Reduction Act. For more on his experience with foreign relations, see the summary on the Council of Foreign Relations website: http://www.cfr.org/bios/11603/

I'm sure it is. A Harvard Law degree and a background as a community organizer does not have the same populist appeal that going to the U of Idaho, running a commercial fishery, being a state basketball champ, a hockey mom, or having a hubby who is a snowmobile racing champion does. Now I'm not a populist per se. But sometimes the Harvard law degree can be seen as a liability, especially when people are suspicious about a candidate's perceived superiority complex.

I think being an attorney and teaching at a top ranked law school is a better education than a degree in mass com. Maybe you do not agree about a law degree and the difficulty of obtaining said degree but let me say it was hard. I know.

praises for Gov Palin. She has talked to me about her for the last year and a half. I called her this afternoon (we talk every couple of days) because I knew she would be ecstatic about Gov Palin being nominated.

My grandmother is very politically savvy. She absolutely LOVES discussing politics, follows it all day long. This will be a complete blast for her to watch unfold. She likes Obama, but is really surprised he picked Biden. She doesn't like Biden AT ALL.

My hubby and I always say to each other that if we have to live until we're 98, we want to be like her. She is mentally sharp and a blast to talk to. She is one of the oldest women in Alaska and has politicians, lawyers, etc visit her all the time.

Blessings,

Michele

I'm sorry but what school they go to just doesn't speak anything to me.

She is an exceptional addition to the ticket.

I'm sure it is. A Harvard Law degree and a background as a community organizer does not have the same populist appeal that going to the U of Idaho' date=' running a commercial fishery, being a state basketball champ, a hockey mom, or having a hubby who is a snowmobile racing champion does. Now I'm not a populist per se. But sometimes the Harvard law degree can be seen as a liability, especially when people are suspicious about a candidate's perceived superiority complex.[/quote']Maybe I am odd but they had better be superior in every way I do not want someone just like my neighbor nor do I care if it is someone I can have a beer with...I want intelligence, integrity and experience in government.

I'm sorry but what school they go to just doesn't speak anything to me.

She is an exceptional addition to the ticket.

You are being honest I appreciate that. I consider the position that education does not speak to you to be very tellng as to why this candidate is appealing.

Me too. And she seems to have that in spades.

Maybe I am odd but they had better be superior in every way I do not want someone just like my neighbor nor do I care if it is someone I can have a beer with...I want intelligence, integrity and experience in government.

Superiority complex does not equal Superior.

Lots of people are saying it. I imagine if it is repeated long enough, enough people will believe it's true. But I'm not seeing it.

And to my ears, "superiority complex" in a confident smart man who is biracial is just a little close to "uppity." I don't remember EVER hearing this description of a candidate before, not even a very cocky, uber-confident candidate. Not even John Edwards, who was just a teeny bit on the "can't touch that" side of the house.

But maybe I'm just being too sensitive about this.

Oh, I dunno....maybe having a bikini wax, root canal, being burned with the fire of 10,000 suns. :D

Even though you and I seem to be on opposite ends of the political spectrum, I found this statement hysterical. Very funny. I would rep you for a laugh at the end of a long day but I'm out for now.:)

I took this choice as a slap in the face to women who supported Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary. If John McCain thinks that just because he picked someone in a dress it's going to appeal to these women he's nuts. Just another example of how out of touch he is with the American people, and shows that even his political strategy is (IMHO) weak.

She appeals to me for many more reasons than that she's a she. Heck, if you were to put Lieberman in that dress, I'd be just about as happy.

:lol:

Maybe I am odd but they had better be superior in every way I do not want someone just like my neighbor nor do I care if it is someone I can have a beer with...I want intelligence, integrity and experience in government.

I am with you 100 percent.

Jet

Oh, I would say the same about John Edwards in a heart beat. Or Al Gore. One of the reasons most liberals rub me the wrong way is their tendency to lecture. They know better than you. If you would just not be such a troglodyte and understand that they have the answers, all would be well. That's why saying someone has a Harvard law degree doesn't necessarily make them a more attractive candidate. It just adds to the elitist aura. There - I have bared my conservative- leaning-to-libertarian soul to you, and you can psychoanalyze me.:D

Lots of people are saying it. I imagine if it is repeated long enough, enough people will believe it's true. But I'm not seeing it.

And to my ears, "superiority complex" in a confident smart man who is biracial is just a little close to "uppity." I don't remember EVER hearing this description of a candidate before, not even a very cocky, uber-confident candidate. Not even John Edwards, who was just a teeny bit on the "can't touch that" side of the house.

But maybe I'm just being too sensitive about this.

I'd say it's more inflammatory to put words into people's posts. I simply can't find her using the word babykiller anywhere.

And I wouldn't expect a newbie to KNOW what anyone meant by anything. How about a little slack here?

Hey, I resemble that remark. Are you saying I am clueless. Quite the contrary, do I have to change my online name for some rep.

Does this mean I lost Feek? I would be so sad.

Jet

Palin (sorry, I spelled her name wrong)

Fox is reporting that is has been confirmed by McCain official.

McCain Palin '08 :)

I'm getting my bumper sticker and yard sign!!

I'm so thrilled! Flabbergasted, since I had no idea she was in the running for the position, but thrilled! I've been a fan of hers for quite a while, and I think it's just what the GOP ticket needs. Go McCain/Palin!! :party:

Oh' date=' I would say the same about John Edwards in a heart beat. Or Al Gore. One of the reasons most liberals rub me the wrong way is their tendency to [i']lecture[/i]. They know better than you. If you would just not be such a troglodyte and understand that they have the answers, all would be well. That's why saying someone has a Harvard law degree doesn't necessarily make them a more attractive candidate. It just adds to the elitist aura. There - I have bared my conservative- leaning- to -libertarian soul to you, and you can psychoanalyze me.:D

I am actually surprised when I read this sort of leaning on this particular board. (Don't get me wrong -- I'm not belittling you for having this feeling or anybody else. It is what it is, and I know that.)

But for me -- it's always been about brains and the ability to use them to solve problems. That's what makes a man sexually attractive to me (almost to the point that if a cute guy opens his mouth and is as dumb as a rock, I want to cry :lol:). It's what makes a friend a long-term friend vs. a long-term acquaintance. It's what makes a leader -- MY leader -- worth having *as* a leader. It's why I'm sad tonight that

apparently loved everyone else BUT me :glare:, when I just think his mind so very much matches his... Speedo.

I don't think a person who went to a state school is less of a person. (Ya think? I mean, I'm enrolled currently at East Tennessee State University. Uh...) But the fact that Sen. Obama went to Harvard on his own merits (read: he was not a legacy placement) and was editor of the Review and at least a couple of his now very successful classmates considered him head and shoulders above them in intellect and the ability to bring people together to solve difficult problems? Yeah. That sets him above the pack for me. That he writes his own books (and even his own speeches a good bit of the time) is icing on that particular cake.

Wasn't too interested in Pres. Bush Jr's legacy to Yale, his C average, or his favorite book of 2005. For all his personal proclivities that I frankly detested, I rested easier knowing that former Pres. Clinton, a Rhodes scholar, was at the watch of the government for eight years. (Not that I was keen on sending any of my dd's to the WH to intern, but.)

True, I could never relate to Hillary Clinton. I just never felt like she understood what it is like to be any woman other than a career woman. I think Mrs. Palin could come much closer to understanding my life as well as the life of a career woman.

That is how I've always felt about Hillary. I don't think there is any aspect of my life that she can relate to, and there is no aspect of hers that I can relate to.

Of course, the same can be said for anyone I've voted for in ... oh, ever. So I admit to being excited about someone who does have aspects of life I *can* relate to.

I obviously value a good education, or I wouldn't be on these boards, right? Like I said, I'm not a Jacksonian populist. But Ivy League schools give a certain kind of education, and it doesn't lean to the right. It is an overwhelmingly liberal education (I don't mean liberal arts). If you are conservative, you have to keep your head down. The other thing is that I've known many well-educated people who were dumb in many ways. Maybe they are naive ,or like Obama, they have never really worked in the real world. Community organizer doesn't count. :) So an Ivy League degree doesn't do anything for me without some other personal qualities. I would be more likely to sit up and take notice if someone had graduated from Univ. of Dallas or St. John's. I am not against solving problems. I AM against creating new chicken-little hysterias to be solved by the intelligentsia every couple of years. I resent that if my solution to a problem is different from theirs, then that must mean I am an uneducated Neanderthal.

It is too late. I must go to bed . I am rambling.:)

I am actually surprised when I read this sort of leaning on this particular board. (Don't get me wrong -- I'm not belittling you for having this feeling or anybody else. It is what it is, and I know that.)

But for me -- it's always been about brains and the ability to use them to solve problems. That's what makes a man sexually attractive to me (almost to the point that if a cute guy opens his mouth and is as dumb as a rock, I want to cry :lol:). It's what makes a friend a long-term friend vs. a long-term acquaintance. It's what makes a leader -- MY leader -- worth having *as* a leader. It's why I'm sad tonight that

apparently loved everyone else BUT me :glare:, when I just think his mind so very much matches his... Speedo.

I don't think a person who went to a state school is less of a person. (Ya think? I mean, I'm enrolled currently at East Tennessee State University. Uh...) But the fact that Sen. Obama went to Harvard on his own merits (read: he was not a legacy placement) and was editor of the Review and at least a couple of his now very successful classmates considered him head and shoulders above them in intellect and the ability to bring people together to solve difficult problems? Yeah. That sets him above the pack for me. That he writes his own books (and even his own speeches a good bit of the time) is icing on that particular cake.

Wasn't too interested in Pres. Bush Jr's legacy to Yale, his C average, or his favorite book of 2005. For all his personal proclivities that I frankly detested, I rested easier knowing that former Pres. Clinton, a Rhodes scholar, was at the watch of the government for eight years. (Not that I was keen on sending any of my dd's to the WH to intern, but.)

I'm happy that McCain's vice-presidential nominee is conservative, especially that's she's pro-life. But I can't help but think of some other unfortunate implications of this choice.

Yet Maggie Thatcher and Golda Maier did ok.

(I'm very sorry I'm answering this one. I know it's not exactly right that I do so.)

And I'm afraid that as long as it's legal in this country for a woman to hold elected office, not many will be willing to suddenly scrap that because of a religious belief of a few. (I know that's popular some in other countries more attuned to religious prohibitions, but probably won't fly here.)

Yet Maggie Thatcher and Golda Maier did ok.

(I'm very sorry I'm answering this one. I know it's not exactly right that I do so.)

And I'm afraid that as long as it's legal in this country for a woman to hold elected office, not many will be willing to suddenly scrap that because of a religious belief of a few. (I know that's popular some in other countries more attuned to religious prohibitions, but probably won't fly here.)

I get the impression (and maybe I'm wrong) that nobody is worried about the law changing. I think they are worried that the Religious Right won't vote for a woman VP when the male presidential candidate is 75.

Yea and let's not forget Mr McCain's *legacy* enrollment at the United States Naval Academy, where he was 894 of 899 in the graduating class, and was such a discipline problem that if his father wasn't an Admiral it is difficult to believe he wouldn't have been expelled. :001_rolleyes:

Sorry, but I think Mr McCain is unfit for the job. The man does even know how to send an email for Pete's sake, or what kind of car he drives. Surely not over demanding "tasks". I simply don't know anyone who doesn't know what kind of car they drive.

In contrast, Mr Obama has one of the finest minds ever possessed by a candidate for president. I don't see how the choice is even a close call.

Bill

But if my point holds, then it's too bad the Brits didn't have a man who could have done the same.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what your point is. I've read the article you linked twice now and I guess you'll have to spell it out for me. Do you think that a woman cannot be in charge of our military? Do you think she'll make decisions without regard to any advice she has received from her advisors? Could you be more specific as to what your trying to say?

But if my point holds, then it's too bad the Brits didn't have a man who could have done the same.

No, the point is your point does not hold.

I'll not be voting for McCain/Palin but her gender in no way disqualifies her serving as Vice-President in this man's option.

Bill

I obviously value a good education' date=' or I wouldn't be on these boards, right? Like I said, I'm not a Jacksonian populist. But Ivy League schools give a certain kind of education, and it doesn't lean to the right. It is an overwhelmingly liberal education (I don't mean liberal arts). If you are conservative, you have to keep your head down. The other thing is that I've known many well-educated people who were dumb in many ways. Maybe they are naive ,or like Obama, they have never really worked in the real world. Community organizer doesn't count. :) So an Ivy League degree doesn't do anything for me without some other personal qualities. I would be more likely to sit up and take notice if someone had graduated from Univ. of Dallas or St. John's. I am not against solving problems. I AM against creating new chicken-little hysterias to be solved by the intelligentsia every couple of years. I resent that if my solution to a problem is different from theirs, then that must mean I am an uneducated Neanderthal.

It is too late. I must go to bed . I am rambling.:)[/quote']

Well, today I just read Ben Carson's latest book, Taking the Risk. As a Yale grad, he certainly did not and has not kept his head down. He's the most outspoken Christian man you'd ever want to know, personal faith in Christ and conservative values to spare. And he was elected (by his Yalie peers) to sit on the board of the Yale Corporation.

When he speaks, many take notice, and not only because of his "gifted hands" and his wonderful story, but because of his conservatism and his faith.

And, yes, because of his brain that got him to Yale in the first place. And what has flowed from that brain.

So although I have no doubt that you are right and that conservatives are underrepresented at HYP, it doesn't mean they aren't there.

And honestly? I don't see Sen. Obama as being overly dumb in other ways (other than the obvious parts where the major *political* objections to his person makes him clueless and naive). But I'm open to instruction. Has he mismanaged his money? Taken on inappropriate debt? Failed to screen the people he served on boards with? (Oh, right, sorry. :D) Not been willing to put in an honest day's work at the senate, state or federal? Shirked what he considered his calling and his duty somehow?

Rhetorical, of course, but just serves to show that we do view this very differently.