Menu

A Sad Commentary on Modern Narcissism

KingM

A woman by the name of Casey Nocket recently traveled from New York out west to deface some of our national parks with her crappy art, and then Instagram it. Nocket doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer given the fact that she was broadcasting her rampant vandalism and was fully aware that what she was doing was not allowed, as Modern Hiker reports. But now she's at least deleted her Instagram and is waiting quietly somewhere for a call from Parks Police.

Did she think this made her some kind of amazing rebel artist? That is unclear.

Nocket painted her works, which she refers to as graffiti art, in acrylic paint on various rocks and cliff faces in Yosemite National Park, Crater Lake National Park (Oregon), Grand Canyon National Park, Death Valley National Park, Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks, Joshua Tree National Park, and Zion National Park, even signing some of them with her Instagram handle "creepytings." In one Instagram thread, she even acknowledged, "I know I'm a bad person."

At first I was baffled, but really, doesn't it say something about the narcissism of some people, that she would approach these places of timeless natural beauty and think "What this needs is some of my graffiti and a selfie on Instagram!"

Read the article, with the infuriating pictures here:

http://sfist.com/2014/10/22/despicable_new_york_woman_defaces_y.php

???  In what self-centered world does she live ???

You've got to be pretty stupid to believe that damaging national landmarks makes you an artist. 

Crazy people like that deserve any and all consequences that they receive.  

Psst -Nutty Lady, you could have gotten the same photos with chalks/pastels, with no damage to the park, and no danger of jail time.   

Gaaah.  There are no words.  I hope they put her in a cell with *no* paint, and they make that stooopid cartoon face into wallpaper that repeats ad nauseum.   And then, for her prison job, they should give the other inmates plenty of paint to graffiti to their hearts' content in the exercise yard, and then make her scrub the concrete clean.  Wash, rinse, repeat, every single day she is incarcerated.

:cursing:  

This reminds me of the time we stopped to check out the view over the Columbia River.  The view of the river cutting through the plateau was magnificent.  Well, except for the graffiti and dirty diapers strewn around (oh, and there were empty trash cans available.)

There are those who defend graffiti as art, though.  I don't agree with them, but the idea is out there. I guess if they think it's okay to deface another person's private property, they'd also think it's okay to deface public property.

doesn't it say something about the narcissism of some people

People have been doing this forever, though. Look at Independence Rock. If people were going there today and scribbling their names on it it'd be awful, but because it happened over a hundred years ago it's terrific.

You know though, the idea that you shouldn't do stuff like that is so modern as well. People used to carve their names and art and so forth into whatever they pleased whenever they wanted. And if they saw a bit of something they wanted, they just took it - cut off a little corner of the Star-Spangled Banner, chipped off a piece of an artifact, picked up a fossil, whatever. So I'm not sure how new this sort of thoughtlessness and narcissism is.

I agree with all the sentiments about her and her art expressed in this thread though. Even if it's an old narcissism, she's doing it in a new context where it's clearly deeply wrong.