Menu

Is there not an Ebola in Dallas thread yet?

staceyobu

The apartment was contaminated by the first victim who was ill inside the apartment. The deputies couldn't have caught it from the family members as they were not showing symptoms, but the apartment had not been decontaminated yet when they were ordered to enter without protective gear.

The deputies were put on leave, but I don't think they were quarantined.

Hope and pray this man does not have Ebola.

The deputies were not quarantined, only their cars. :confused:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fire department I work for (in another state, not Texas) just got procedures to ask every person we contact with flu-like symptoms if they have travelled outside the country to any affected areas.  That part was posted, it didn't say what to do if they said yes.  Hopefully there was another page somewhere...?

My first instinct, too, is quarantine. However, I can understand (intellectually) that *IF* the CDC and other experts are correct in their analysis of how the disease is transmitted, then the protocols in place should be sufficient. The CDC states that people do not begin to shed the virus until they begin to run a fever, and even then in the beginning they shed very little virus until the illness progresses. So if you believe you have a risk of exposure, then it is sufficient to take your temperature twice a day and to go to the ER / get quarantined at the first sign of fever, because you cannot infect anyone else prior to that point. That saves people from the psychological and personal financial costs of quarantine (unable to work for 3 weeks, etc.), and it saves society the costs of establishing quarantine facilities for a large number of potential contacts who never get sick.

I do hope they're right about how the disease is transmitted. But I am not yet (personally/emotionally) convinced of that.

I read that the virus can survive for up to 6 days, hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The apartment was not properly decontaminated for days, so the deputies could have been exposed to the virus.

Dogs are also known carriers for the disease, that is why the courts ordered for the dog that belonged to the sick nurse in Spain to be euthanized. This makes the situation with the vomit outside the apartment building worrisome.

I think it is pretty plain to see that the lax standards are putting the public at risk. We can quibble about how big of a risk it is, but it is within the power of health officials and law enforcement to lower that risk with better protocols, and it is also their job. People new to make a stink to ensure they do.

I'd be furious if I was one of these deputies or a family member.  The article says that on Friday, they met with county health officials who told them the danger of contracting ebola was remote because no people in the apartment were showing symptoms - yet - the next day they were told to bag up the clothes they had been wearing and their cars were pulled out of service.  Who made those decisions?  Was it a health official?  Why were the cars quarantined but not the people?  Why was the bagging up of the clothes not done until the next day?  

All I know is that if my husband told me that he had been inside that apartment I wouldn't need the CDC or any "officials" to tell me to bag up his clothes.  Heck,  I make my husband do that when he comes home from the airport...but that has been my precaution against the bedbugs that like to travel.  

I've also been known to use antibacterial wipes on our shoes if we've been walking around with the farm animals at the zoo or something.  

Honestly,  I wouldn't even want to keep shoes or clothes that had been anywhere near the ebola virus...there's just not enough bleach in the world to convince me! 

The fire department I work for (in another state, not Texas) just got procedures to ask every person we contact with flu-like symptoms if they have travelled outside the country to any affected areas. That part was posted, it didn't say what to do if they said yes. Hopefully there was another page somewhere...?

Nope. I've been in an ER twice in the last week and they asked me that. I asked what they would do if I said yes and the gal just laughed and said, "It's just a box I'm now supposed to check on the screen. It doesn't tell me to do anything else or even to list where when I select "yes".

She was just as trying to laugh dark humor annoyed by that as I was. At least that was my impression, which could of course be flawed.

Here's a "friend of a friend" deal:  Someone I know heard people at work talking about how there was a news story (on ABC Radio) about how one of the children had ebola, but the story has since disappeared.  

Friend of a friend stories are sometimes true, but obviously sometimes not.  IF this one is true, is it possible for a news story to be removed like that?

ETA:  That's a little too conspiracy theory-ish to believe, I hope.

Has anyone linked this yet? http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/LA-Area-Hospital-Issues-Statement-On-Potential-Ebola-Patient-278563961.html

I think earlier reports said there were symptoms. The news stories keep changing.

I'm confused about why they would transport him by ambulance if he doesn't have symptoms. There isn't a travel ban, I'm assuming their policy won't be to transport everyone who has been in Liberia by ambulance to a hospital. If it is I would think we should just institute a travel ban. It's an odd story.

Here's a "friend of a friend" deal: Someone I know heard people at work talking about how there was a news story (on ABC Radio) about how one of the children had ebola, but the story has since disappeared.

Friend of a friend stories are sometimes true, but obviously sometimes not. IF this one is true, is it possible for a news story to be removed like that?

ETA: That's a little too conspiracy theory-ish to believe, I hope.

I'm assuming if the story was deleted it was because it was found to be untrue.

I'm confused about why they would transport him by ambulance if he doesn't have symptoms. There isn't a travel ban, I'm assuming their policy won't be to transport everyone who has been in Liberia by ambulance to a hospital. If it is I would think we should just institute a travel ban. It's an odd story.

When my husband first read it, it said the patient did have symptoms.  The story has changed since then to no symptoms, but now the story doesn't make sense.

I'm assuming if the story was deleted it was because it was found to be untrue.

Especially since the original source was ABC Radio.  So, did they read it or just hear it?  Office gossip?

To the first, THANK YOU.

To the second, I am from Ebola ground zero.  I remember a lot of things like cricket infestations in which the entire parking lot of my dorm at UNT was covered with crickets like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie, but I swear I do not recall flying roaches.  Maybe I am just lucky that way.  :D

texasmama, I wonder if we know each other, I am also at ground zero, especially since it was just reported that there is at least one case in Frisco, now. And one of my daughters attends UNT. :) But I have never seen a flying roach...are those even real??

Some news from Spain on the nurse. She is stating she touched her face with her gloves. She sounds well and says she found out the Ebola news from the media.

I can't believe they alerted the media before the patient, I suppose an employee could have leaked the news to the press. This article also says that when she first started having symptoms, which I'm assuming was a fever, her doctor told her to take some aspririn and wait to see if things got worse. When she was finally admitted to the hospital she was not initially isolated and staff cared for her without protective gear.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebola-infected-nurse-exposes-huge-173707054.html;_ylt=A0LEVzLJyDVU7XsA4V5x.9w4

Maybe ambulances are easier to disinfect than other forms of transportation that don't have a protocol. If ebola is diagnosed.

Maybe ambulances are easier to disinfect than other forms of transportation that don't have a protocol. If ebola is diagnosed.

I know, but the article said he didn't have any symptoms so technically he wasn't releasing the virus? Is that correct?

It seems like it would be expensive and impractical to transport every person in LAX who has been in Liberia to a hospital by ambulance, since there is no travel ban I'm assuming there will be more travelers in this situation. The article said they transported him simply because he had been to Liberia.

Which is why it seems like there must be more to the story, like the man must have had some symptoms. It is just an odd story, it doesn't quite smell right.

And if we are automatically quarantining everyone who comes in, why not place a travel ban?

Hopes and prayers that the man is fine.

I can't believe they alerted the media before the patient, I suppose an employee could have leaked the news to the press.

Yeah, there was probably a delay between lab results and getting a doctor to tell her. It turns out he didn't want to tell her, so perhaps he dawdled. In the meantime, someone in the know called the media because it's big news. Still, what a way for her to find out.

Yeah, there was probably a delay between lab results and getting a doctor to tell her. It turns out he didn't want to tell her, so perhaps he dawdled. In the meantime, someone in the know called the media because it's big news. Still, what a way for her to find out.

Maybe he was waiting on a new, non contaminated hazmat suit?  I know when I had TB patients there were so many precautions with the PPE that I would wait to go in their room until I had multiple things to do in one trip.  Wait to go in until they need medicine and lunch and a trip to the bathroom was a heck of a lot faster than going in there for one individual thing.  Too much getting dressed and undressed.

I just watched the interview where the son said his dad (the deputy being tested for Ebola) was in the apartment for 30 minutes and they were told there is no risk by health officials.  REALLY?  30 minutes with no protective gear... no risk?

There have been thousands of people tested for ebola and cleared.  We don't know if this man or others have it or not.  The armchair quarterbacking itself is a bit strange to me but to armchair quarterback when you don't even know if he has it?  No one (even those who actually have the skills and authority to make decisions) can make decisions without the test results and test results take time.  

It seems to me like it's unlikely to be ebola.  If he was strenuously objecting to going there, he might have worked himself up into a state.  If he has a history of certain conditions he could be getting fever and nausea from the stress.  I have cluster headaches and they cause fever and nausea sometimes too, especially when I'm calming down from something stressful.

There have been thousands of people tested for ebola and cleared. We don't know if this man or others have it or not. The armchair quarterbacking itself is a bit strange to me but to armchair quarterback when you don't even know if he has it? No one (even those who actually have the skills and authority to make decisions) can make decisions without the test results and test results take time.

I'm not sure if you are referring to me, but in the suspected case in Dallas my concern is that people were exposed to the virus when extra precautions should have and could have been taken, it was completely avoidable. Hopefully the deputy does not have Ebola, but the point is that the situation was completely mishandled, whether he contracted the disease or not. We don't need the test results to know that, and I don't see what the harm is pointing it out.

It seems to me like it's unlikely to be ebola.  If he was strenuously objecting to going there, he might have worked himself up into a state.  If he has a history of certain conditions he could be getting fever and nausea from the stress.  I have cluster headaches and they cause fever and nausea sometimes too, especially when I'm calming down from something stressful.

I think the article I read said that he did NOT have a fever. I think they are acting out of an abundance of caution.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/08/health/ebola-up-to-speed/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

I'm not sure if you are referring to me, but in the suspected case in Dallas my concern is that people were exposed to the virus when extra precautions should have and could have been taken, it was completely avoidable. Hopefully the deputy does not have Ebola, but the point is that the situation was completely mishandled, whether he contracted the disease or not. We don't need the test results to know that, and I don't see what the harm is pointing it out.

I have no idea if I am referring to you or not!  (I didn't pay attention to who was saying what.)  If someone has the opinion that deputies should have suited up, that's fine.  They made the determination from current medical data that they had.  If he turns out to have ebola, current medical opinion might be proved wrong.  But some (and again I have no idea who and don't have the time or inclination to go back to look) have made conclusions based on him having ebola - a 'see, this is WHY they should have suited up because now he has it too."  And that is premature.  

I have no idea if I am referring to you or not! (I didn't pay attention to who was saying what.) If someone has the opinion that deputies should have suited up, that's fine. They made the determination from current medical data that they had. If he turns out to have ebola, current medical opinion might be proved wrong. But some (and again I have no idea who and don't have the time or inclination to go back to look) have made conclusions based on him having ebola - a 'see, this is WHY they should have suited up because now he has it too." And that is premature.

I don't remember reading any comments like the ones you are describing, but I don't think it is premature to say that if you are entering a quarantined apartment you should at least don latex gloves. The article from lat week showed that the deputies were not provided with any protections at all. I'm not saying they needed bio hazard suits, but if you read the article they did not take any precautions what so ever. This is disturbing to me, regardless of whether they contract the disease. I would like to think those in charge have some common sense. I have a feeling that the deputy does not have Ebola, but that doesn't excuse the total lack of precautions.

Honestly, I feel like people being unwilling to make judgements and act accordingly even when the facts are obvious causes a lot more problems in life than jumping to conclusions, not that jumping to conclusions is a good thing. But I haven't seen anyone jumping to conclusions about this case in this thread, maybe I missed it. I have seen people regarding the facts and then pointing out the incompetence.

No one really knows, of course, but my guess is that if one's family has healthy immune and neurological systems (what that means can be debated for sure, but let's say without even controversial issues), my guess is that they'll come out ok.  Speculating wildly, my take is that there may be unique issues with immune systems of the very sick kids that are not really on the radar of mainstream medicine so much - the mysterious connections between the immune system, the nervous system, and the gut, etc.

FWIW, Ev68 is in our area (confirmed, at the PS).  Right now all my kids have colds - including my two with messed-up immune systems - and I kind of suspect this virus, but so far, so good.  A couple of the non-asthma kids are on the wheezy side but not out of control - I gave a bit of albuterol.  My asthma boy, IgA deficient with eosinophilia and neutropenia as of this summer, looks a little under the weather but not terrible.  Dh woke up in the night feeling unable to breathe the other night, too gunky, but he'll be all right.

I'm shovelling out a lot of bovine colostrum in the morning.  No fevers so far.  In a few days, once I'm sure we're past any danger zone, I may be hoping this was EV68 so that it'll be behind us.

You know, Wapiti, for what it's worth, check into ACCH.  It's really expensive, but I've heard good things about the immune building capabilities.  Apparently you take a higher "loading dose" but then can back off to a maintenance dose.  FWIW...

Just jumping in at the end of the discussion here, so I'm not sure if this link has already been shared.

http://dtolar.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/ebola-a-nurses-perspective/

Very interesting and terrifying at the same time. 

I read some comments and saw this one:

MELISSA RECTOR-STARR says:

I too read The Hot Zone. It was given to me by my mother, a microbiologist. I wasn’t a nurse yet, but it began a long love affair with infective diseases once I graduated. It scares me to the core how nonchalant the general populace is treating this. More education needs to be made available sooner rather than later.

Then, this one, so that helps: KATHERINESANDERS says:

Psalms 91

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the mightly shadows of His wings and should not fear the snare of the fowler or the noisome pestilence nor the terrors of night. No evil will befall him (or her), for what is life but to live is Christ and to die but gain.

Honestly, I don't know if we should be worried or not.  Is it possible these are just all false alarms?  Could this just go away?  Or is this going to become an epidemic?  Can it be stopped in Africa?  

There have been thousands of people tested for ebola and cleared. We don't know if this man or others have it or not. The armchair quarterbacking itself is a bit strange to me but to armchair quarterback when you don't even know if he has it? No one (even those who actually have the skills and authority to make decisions) can make decisions without the test results and test results take time.

I agree. I think the media reporting "possible Ebola patients" is downright unethical and irresponsible.

Even if the suspected cases are puking sick and feverish, it STILL doesn't mean they have Ebola. There's a good 5+ other things it is MORE likely that they have.

But no one remembers that. All they absorbs is, "OMG!!!! THEY HAVE EBOLA!!!!"

I agree. I think the media reporting "possible Ebola patients" is downright unethical and irresponsible.

Even if the suspected cases are puking sick and feverish, it STILL doesn't mean they have Ebola. There's a good 5+ other things it is MORE likely that they have.

But no one remembers that. All they absorbs is, "OMG!!!! THEY HAVE EBOLA!!!!"

Yeah, my FB feed is full of all my Dallas (and surrounding areas) family and friends being hit with a nasty stomach bug. This is the time of year a bunch of junk is going to start going around so I bet we have to deal with these crazy headlines for a while longer.

People have Ebola on the brain. Here Ebola, there Ebola, everywhere Ebola...oh wait, those other people didn't have it after all.

Ebola does not pose the risk to me and mine that enterovirus 68 does. Ebola is being contained to discrete, but highly visible and highly scrutinized spots.

Enterovirus 68 has spread to 48 states, has killed several children, one without ANY symptoms, and caused various forms of paralysis in dozens of others. This virus acts like polio, and right here in Dallas, a boy the same age as my ds has been fighting for every breath, and has limb paralysis. Asthmatic kids are especially susceptible to it (my ds has asthma).

But none of that is getting half the attention devoted to ONE STINKING CASE OF EBOLA in Dallas.

People have Ebola on the brain. Here Ebola, there Ebola, everywhere Ebola...oh wait, those other people didn't have it after all.

Ebola does not pose the risk to me and mine that enterovirus 68 does. Ebola is being contained to discrete, but highly visible and highly scrutinized spots.

Enterovirus 68 has spread to 48 states, has killed several children, one without ANY symptoms, and caused various forms of paralysis in dozens of others. This virus acts like polio, and right here in Dallas, a boy the same age as my ds has been fighting for every breath, and has limb paralysis. Asthmatic kids are especially susceptible to it (my ds has asthma).

But none of that is getting half the attention devoted to ONE STINKING CASE OF EBOLA in Dallas.

I think this may be in part because the enterovirus, as scary and sad as it is, has been present in the US for many years, even if it is a new strain. Ebola is new to North America. A big part of what people are talking about are the perceived blunders in the way the situation in Dallas is being handled. This interests me not because I'm worried about getting Ebola, but because I think public scrutiny causes our public health officials to correct their mistakes.

I am puzzled as to why the enterovirus isn't being reported on more by journalists, it is a bigger public health threat than ebola. Maybe we should start a thread ;).

Entervirus 68 has spread to 48 states, has killed several children, one without ANY symptoms, and caused various forms of paralysis in dozens of others. This virus acts like polio, and right here in Dallas, a boy the same age as my ds has been fighting for every breath, and has limb paralysis. Asthmatic kids are especially susceptible to it (my ds has asthma).

I started a thread for the enterovirus. This is, after all, an ebola thread.  I hope you will post on the enterovirus thread!

I'll talk about it here, because others have made similar observations about the disparate levels of concern. This does have to do with Ebola. As those of us living in Dallas understand, so much about this discussion is emotional hype, with very little objective information being shared. It's all about rumor, hearsay, anecdotes, and projected worse case scenarios more in line with Outbreak than the CDC.

And one of the most glaring proofs for this is constant underlying tone of hysteria present in so many posts here about a disease that has so far infected one person, has the focus of national and regional health agencies, all while kids the nation over, are being infected, suffering paralysis from, and even dying from another disease that rose up from the annals of medical texts.

I'm not sitting here anxious about either disease, but even I can see which virus is more likely to affect my family. And I work alongside several West Africans, in Dallas.

I'm beyond exasperated at the lack of an even handed, logical approach to much of this discussion.

Yeah? But Ebola isn't in 48 states, killed several kids, and paralyzed others. Here in the U.S., Ebola has killed exactly one person, and the survivors aren't maimed or paralyzed.

Because it isn't the mortality rate alone of a given disease that makes it the most formidable public health threat. It's also the likelihood of it spreading in the U.S. to huge numbers of people.

It's like going on and on about the horrors of how most plane crashes kill the majority of passengers aboard, and justifying your fixation by how many people can survive minor car accidents.

And THAT is what is missing from your posts. A rational understanding of the TOTAL overall risk.

Yeah? But Ebola isn't in 48 states, killed several kids, and paralyzed others. Here in the U.S., Ebola has killed exactly one person, and the survivors aren't maimed or paralyzed.

Because it isn't the mortality rate alone of a given disease that makes it the most formidable public health threat. It's also the likelihood of it spreading in the U.S. to huge numbers of people.

It's like going on and on about the horrors of how most plane crashes kill the majority of passengers aboard, and justifying your fixation by how many people can survive minor car accidents.

And THAT is what is missing from your posts. A rational understanding of the TOTAL overall risk.

This. This. This.

Do we dare even mention how many people died of the flu last year?  And how many might have prevented their deaths if they had gotten the vaccine instead?

I feel for those who are dealing with enterovirus.  I wonder how our school will handle it when it gets here.  I'm not at all worried about how our school will handle ebola as I doubt we'll ever have to deal with it.  Our hospitals MIGHT have to at some point (doubtful, but maybe), but I doubt our school will have to.

I'll talk about it here, because others have made similar observations about the disparate levels of concern. This does have to do with Ebola. As those of us living in Dallas understand, so much about this discussion is emotional hype, with very little objective information being shared. It's all about rumor, hearsay, anecdotes, and projected worse case scenarios more in line with Outbreak than the CDC.

And one of the most glaring proofs for this is constant underlying tone of hysteria present in so many posts here about a disease that has so far infected one person, has the focus of national and regional health agencies, all while kids the nation over, are being infected, suffering paralysis from, and even dying from another disease that rose up from the annals of medical texts.

I'm not sitting here anxious about either disease, but even I can see which virus is more likely to affect my family. And I work alongside several West Africans, in Dallas.

I'm beyond exasperated at the lack of an even handed, logical approach to much of this discussion.

I think it's due in part to the CDC not having as much credibility as they ought to in this situation. They say they know how this disease is transmitted, and then people who supposedly have taken appropriate precautions come down with the disease. Then they say it needs to be handled in a certain way, and people are allowed to waltz into contaminated areas without any protection at all. Then you have hospitals that have had training in this specific issue only one week prior, and they send a symptomatic Liberian man home to infect others.

It doesn't take much to have your credibility power washed away.

Maybe your exasperation should be directed toward the people at the top.

I think it's due in part to the CDC not having as much credibility as they ought to in this situation. They say they know how this disease is transmitted, and then people who supposedly have taken appropriate precautions come down with the disease. Then they say it needs to be handled in a certain way, and people are allowed to waltz into contaminated areas without any protection at all. Then you have hospitals that have had training in this specific issue only one week prior, and they send a symptomatic Liberian man home to infect others.

It doesn't take much to have your credibility power washed away.

Maybe your exasperation should be directed toward the people at the top.

??? I wouldn't be blaming the top.  I'd be wondering why those below didn't follow directions.  It seems that the top got the info out, but they can't exactly pull strings on puppets to get others to do what they are told.  I suspect they are  :banghead: .