Menu

Is there not an Ebola in Dallas thread yet?

staceyobu

I am not in the US, but if Ebola comes to where I am, I will be going 'chicken little' and I do not feel embarrassed to make that comment.

If you are concerned about Ebola, what sort of precautions are you taking?  If you live in Dallas for example, what are you doing to avoid being infected. Are you stockpiling food?  Staying home?  I read somewhere online that people were buying large freezers to stockpile food especially frozen fruit and veg/meat.

I feel for those in the US who are concerned about this and sending prayers and good vibes your way.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not in the US, but if Ebola comes to where I am, I will be going 'chicken little' and I do not feel embarrassed to make that comment.

If you are concerned about Ebola, what sort of precautions are you taking?  If you live in Dallas for example, what are you doing to avoid being infected. Are you stockpiling food?  Staying home?  I read somewhere online that people were buying large freezers to stockpile food especially frozen fruit and veg/meat.

I feel for those in the US who are concerned about this and sending prayers and good vibes your way.

My family lives about an hour away from the Ebola patient's family's apartment.  We have not done anything differently due to this case of Ebola.  No one I know personally locally has done anything differently, either. 

I didn't say that either.  

I actually don't feel like discussing the rest.  There are solutions if there is a travel ban.  You can google that info, too.  Otherwise, we can just agree to disagree.

The problem with this is that whenever someone refutes your argument you say that you don't want to discuss it and that we can google the information. That is not a way to have a discussion. If you want to give your opinions you need to back them up with facts and you need to provide those facts, not tell me to go look them up myself.

Am I reading this correctly?  The daughter of the patient's girlfriend was cleared?  Wasn't she with him while he was sick?  I thought she originally said she did have contact with him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/as-ebola-patient-in-texas-fights-for-his-life-his-family-copes-with-stigma-and-isolation/2014/10/05/d3c8b2ac-4cc7-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

I read a similar statement, and she did (reportedly) have contact.  Honestly, I have little confidence in any of the reporting.  I would like to use dirty words to describe the "journalism" being done, but that's not allowed. Details are different from each outlet and are being edited to change without mention.  They're pushing incomplete information to be first, and they're all failing, imo.

That said, if it's true, SOMEONE needs to explain this decision.  

I don't live in Dallas, and normally in the fall I stock up on pantry items anyway in case a bad winter storm leaves us isolated for a week or two, but I did stock up early and for multiple months instead of one.  We have several friends who are constantly flying to/from Texas for business and it just seemed too close to home.  I wasn't going crazy with stuff that tastes great, but I did take the time with cronometer.com to figure out that 4 oz rice, 5 oz beans, 1 c dry powdered milk, 1 can spinach, 1 c dry mashed potato flakes, 1/4 cup shelled raw sunflower seeds, 1/2 t salt, and a little bit of seaweed per person is a cheap source of 1625 calories and covers 100% of the RDA for everything.  Add in a little frozen meat, fat, and frozen fruit for taste, variety, and phytonutrients (all of which is already in my freezer), and I'm confident we'd be okay for quite a while if for some reason we were quarantined.

I already keep plenty of bottled water on hand, and I have always cleaned toilets and kitchens with bleach solutions, so I have plenty of that on hand too.

We have a fireplace, plenty of firewood, and winter camping supplies on hand for normal winter storm emergencies.

I'm already somewhat of a baby prepper, so I've simply double checked my pantry/freezer and started adding a bit more to it. Which I should be doing anyway, as we're already getting frost in my area and I minimize my travel through the bad winter weather.

Last night the kids and I went over standard health practices to avoid germs, which we need to do anyway.

I'm basically just upping my game. And I'm nowhere near Dallas.  ;)

The problem with this is that whenever someone refutes your argument you say that you don't want to discuss it and that we can google the information. That is not a way to have a discussion. If you want to give your opinions you need to back them up with facts and you need to provide those facts, not tell me to go look them up myself.

Actually, I don't need to do anything.  The way things go... the amount of arguing it takes to prove ones point, just makes it not worth it. I don't have time for all of that. So, if people really want to know, I'm sure it's something easily figured out.  

The woman i the article was cleared bc she didnt have any physical contact with her "step father" and bc she does not live in the apartment.

Really?  Because in an interview I saw, she wrapped him up in blankets, and she's the one who called 911 and wiped the chairs in the apartment with bleach, and told her mother not to get into any of the beds because he'd been in all of them.

The woman i the article was cleared bc she didnt have any physical contact with her "step father" and bc she does not live in the apartment.

That's not what she reported a few days ago.

Actually, I don't need to do anything.  The way things go... the amount of arguing it takes to prove ones point, just makes it not worth it. I don't have time for all of that. So, if people really want to know, I'm sure it's something easily figured out.

You are right you don't need to do anything. But neither I nor others need to take you seriously when you continuously fail to back up your claims.

My family lives about an hour away from the Ebola patient's family's apartment.  We have not done anything differently due to this case of Ebola.  No one I know personally locally has done anything differently, either. 

We also live about an hour or so from that apartment. I have no real worries at this time. However, people are doing strange things. My 20 something son had someone cancel a party this weekend because of Ebola fears. We thought that to be a bit of overkill.

We also live about an hour or so from that apartment. I have no real worries at this time. However, people are doing strange things. My 20 something son had someone cancel a party this weekend because of Ebola fears. We thought that to be a bit of overkill.

Really, really overkill.

It makes me surprised that they didn't cancel it due to worrying about someone getting into a car accident on the way to/from the party as that's FAR more likely.  Or maybe someone would have choked on some of the food...

You are right you don't need to do anything. But neither I nor others need to take you seriously when you continuously fail to back up your claims.

That's fine.

I live about 10-15 minutes from the apartment.  The location is one of the poorest neighborhoods in Dallas, as a lot of immigrants live there.  

I drove right by the hospital on Friday, just in my normal course of my day.

I can tell you that everybody I know is more concerned by the storm damage Thursday night (still lots of homes without power) than by the Ebola patient being in our backyard.  

I don't think the doctors did make a mistake, I think with so many people involved and so many of them being exhausted it could have been any number of issues. It could have been a million different things, I have read the same crazy virus killing everyone books that everyone else has and it does cause one to think about all the different ways it would be possible.

The animals-eating-vomit thing is pretty crazy but well, that could happen. In the worst of scenarios I wouldn't imagine someone just leaving Ebola-laden vomit laying around. If it got in the US rodent population that would be big problem IMO.

I know Doctors without Borders is probably looking at the issue. My dh's uncle works with Doctors without Borders and I know they are an amazing organization.

Thanks for the links, I will read them. :)

The relative I mentioned who did international relief medic work, worked in an area of Africa where 80% of the population had AIDS or was AIDS infected. It was a place with terrible infrastructure, field conditions, and severe war injuries as well as sickness. They also were exhausted etc. He said they did not have the problem of the medical personnel contracting the disease, but not knowing how it could have happened.   If  the protocol was followed with no errors they did not get the virus. If there was an error, such as a break in the protective gear at the same time as contact with blood (hypodermic prick for example), they knew it. The two illnesses (AIDS and ebola)  are being spoken of as if they have similar contagiousness--only by direct contact with bodily fluids to bodily fluids. But something is apparently different.

It is true that there are other possibilities than greater contagiousness than commonly believed. Perhaps the protective gloves are defective, for example. But probably not "a million different things." Working in terrible field conditions with contagious disease is not a brand new unknown entity for medical personnel.

I'd be interested to know what your dh's uncle says about this. Is he there in Africa? If so maybe you would get to talk to him when he is on his time away from there period. What other specific things can he or you think of that would account for the doctors getting the virus when perfectly following the protocol? Things that are logical, not out of fantasy writer imagination.

If you are exhausted and thus forget to properly suit up, that is a mistake, an error. If you are exhausted, but do everything according to protocol anyway, you are not supposed to contract a disease that the protocol is supposed to provide protection against.

Having just had one dog dying and trying to keep the other dog away from its vomit, the idea of an animal eating virus laden vomit does not seem farfetched to me. But the idea that that would then be what would lead to the doctors who have come down with the illness getting it leaves a gap in my following how that would happen, during the field medical work. Maybe being exhausted they stop for a French kiss with an unknown dog? Doesn't seem too likely. Or stop to pet a cat and get scratched? I suppose it's possible.

(If you just tossed in the part about animals, but do not mean that to be related to the issue of doctors contracting ebola, then I do agree that the animal vector issue is significant and needs to be dealt with in considering how waste is cleaned up in the USA, etc. There seems to be no question that animals as a vector is a significant issue with ebola. One does not want it to become present in the animal population of a part of the world it has never before been in.  I guess when I read something in the midst of a topic that I just assume it is supposed to relate to the same topic, Maybe I have been too involved in teaching essay writing lately.)

I guess I have not read the crazy virus killing everyone books that you and "everyone else" read. I guess I am a little stuck here with my sense of facts and logic. 

Whatever is going on needs to be figured out for the sake of the medical personnel and also world health. 

Really?  Because in an interview I saw, she wrapped him up in blankets, and she's the one who called 911 and wiped the chairs in the apartment with bleach, and told her mother not to get into any of the beds because he'd been in all of them.

She also took his temperature and blood pressure:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/04/gave-me-big-hug-fearful-daughter-dallas-ebola-patient-girlfriend-says/

I am not in the US, but if Ebola comes to where I am, I will be going 'chicken little' and I do not feel embarrassed to make that comment.

If you are concerned about Ebola, what sort of precautions are you taking? If you live in Dallas for example, what are you doing to avoid being infected. Are you stockpiling food? Staying home? I read somewhere online that people were buying large freezers to stockpile food especially frozen fruit and veg/meat.

I'm not doing a damned thing except roll my eyes at the fear mongering.

I live in a Dallas suburb, and haven't seen any runs on the stores.

Actually, I don't need to do anything. The way things go... the amount of arguing it takes to prove ones point, just makes it not worth it. I don't have time for all of that. So, if people really want to know, I'm sure it's something easily figured out.

Then why do you continue to start these types of threads and then continue to post in them and then get upset when people show the flaws in your arguments?

Then why do you continue to start these types of threads and then continue to post in them and then get upset when people show the flaws in your arguments?

I started one thread about ebola.  I didn't start this one.  I am obviously interested in the topic, so I started posting in this one.  I've said what I have to say about the travel ban.  Some agree, others disagree.  I am not going to sit here and keep arguing it because there is no point.  People have formed their opinions.  I have formed mine.  I don't think we are going to change each others minds.  So, at this point, I am discussing other things.

Honestly, if I kept arguing my viewpoint, I would then be accused of being argumentative.  When I give up, I'm accused of not being able to back up my points.  Can't win.

I started one thread about ebola. I didn't start this one. I am obviously interested in the topic, so I started posting in this one. I've said what I have to say about the travel ban. Some agree, others disagree. I am not going to sit here and keep arguing it because there is no point. People have formed their opinions. I have formed mine. I don't think we are going to change each others minds. So, at this point, I am discussing other things.

Honestly, if I kept arguing my viewpoint, I would then be accused of being argumentative. When I give up, I'm accused of not being able to back up my points. Can't win.

I was not limiting my comment to ebola threads. I was also talking about the end of times thread you started and then basically said the same thing we people started asking questions. Seems to be a pattern.

I was not limiting my comment to ebola threads. I was also talking about the end of times thread you started and then basically said the same thing we people started asking questions. Seems to be a pattern.

Yes, there is a pattern.  I'm not going to get drawn into useless arguments.  

The relative I mentioned who did international relief medic work, worked in an area of Africa where 80% of the population had AIDS or was AIDS infected. It was a place with terrible infrastructure, field conditions, and severe war injuries as well as sickness. They also were exhausted etc. He said they did not have the problem of the medical personnel contracting the disease, but not knowing how it could have happened.   If  the protocol was followed with no errors they did not get the virus. If there was an error, such as a break in the protective gear at the same time as contact with blood (hypodermic prick for example), they knew it. The two illnesses (AIDS and ebola)  are being spoken of as if they have similar contagiousness--only by direct contact with bodily fluids to bodily fluids. But something is apparently different.

I haven't seen HIV and ebola compared, with regard to contagiousness.  Do you have a link or more info?  No challenge here, just genuine curiosity.

If they are similar, then frankly - ebola isn't nearly as worrisome as it's been made out to be.  HIV protection is fairly straight forward - safe sex, don't share needles, don't exchange blood (to simplify it). HIV is not transmitted by tears, saliva or sweat.  

If your relative was working with HIV patients, I'd be surprised to hear that s/he was wearing a full hazmat type suit. It's certainly possible, of course, and I have no idea about your particular relative or the conditions s/he was in.  Speaking for myself only, I have spent years with HIV patients, and have never donned a suit.  I wear normal clothes.  :)  But then again, I'm talking about my oldest and closest friend, who has been positive for more than 20 years and we've been friends since before the diagnosis.  We vacation together, we spend hours and hours talking and laughing and crying sometimes.  I've wiped tears away, and inadvertently shared drinks.  We follow normal hygiene practices, and I've never contracted HIV.  Nor have my children.  

The above tangent is simply to illustrate that HIV is not as contagious as ebola, according to what I've read.  And I think that it would be tragic if the ebola outbreak is compared to HIV, and HIV patients are again feared and ostracized.

Yes, there is a pattern. I'm not going to get drawn into useless arguments.

But yet you continue to post links to unreliable sources, fail to explain yourself clearly, then get offended when others point out that your news sources are not reliable and show the fallacies in your arguments. When people ask you to explain you tell them to google it.

Sounds like all you want to do is argue and stir the pot.

Yes, there is a pattern. I'm not going to get drawn into useless arguments.

But yet you continue to post links to unreliable sources, fail to explain yourself clearly, then get offended when others point out that your news sources are not reliable and show the fallacies in your arguments. When people ask you to explain you tell them to google it.

Sounds like all you want to do is argue and stir the pot.

I haven't seen HIV and ebola compared, with regard to contagiousness.  Do you have a link or more info?  No challenge here, just genuine curiosity.

If they are similar, then frankly - ebola isn't nearly as worrisome as it's been made out to be.  HIV protection is fairly straight forward - safe sex, don't share needles, don't exchange blood (to simplify it). HIV is not transmitted by tears, saliva or sweat.  

If your relative was working with HIV patients, I'd be surprised to hear that s/he was wearing a full hazmat type suit. It's certainly possible, of course, and I have no idea about your particular relative or the conditions s/he was in.  Speaking for myself only, I have spent years with HIV patients, and have never donned a suit.  I wear normal clothes.   :)  But then again, I'm talking about my oldest and closest friend, who has been positive for more than 20 years and we've been friends since before the diagnosis.  We vacation together, we spend hours and hours talking and laughing and crying sometimes.  I've wiped tears away, and inadvertently shared drinks.  We follow normal hygiene practices, and I've never contracted HIV.  Nor have my children.  

The above tangent is simply to illustrate that HIV is not as contagious as ebola, according to what I've read.  And I think that it would be tragic if the ebola outbreak is compared to HIV, and HIV patients are again feared and ostracized.

Yes, HIV and Ebola have different contagion profiles, the safety precautions that must be taken with each are quite different (more stringent for Ebola). If people think they are similar in contagiousness they are mistaken.

Ebola is easier to catch then HIV, but relatively close contact is required--it is not going to spread like the flu virus.

I think there's a lot of confusion because this strain of ebola is much more contagious than any previous strain.  Hence the spread beyond just a few villiages.  And studies have not yet been done to prove how or why. We don't know how it's evolved yet, why it's so contagious, or how certain people got it. My source was yesterday's This Week with George Stephanopoulis' interview with the CDC director.

It migt be helpful for some of you to note that there are 2 adult daughters both with the last name Jallah.

Okay, I didn't catch that.  Mawhen and Youngor Jallah.  Is Youngor Jallah quarantined?

Which one has the pus in her eyes and a sick child?

The biggest change I have made has to do with emphasizing hand washing to my ds. This is as much or more due to the enterovirus that has been causing polio-like symptoms and deaths (and also a more local e-coli issue) as it is with regard to ebola, but the same would apply regarding both/all.

I emphasized not putting hands to eyes, mouth, nose, eyes, genitals, mucus membranes. Normally ds would start snacking from the groceries on way home, but except for a drink that did not require hands touching it, I made him wait until we got home and hands could be washed. (No opening the bread and tearing off a hunk, no opening a bag of chips and munching, etc., with unwashed hands.) Upon arrival home, I insisted that hands be washed before we started unpacking the groceries and putting them away.

The polio-like virus is a current issue, and at the same time it is also good practice regarding ebola. We have many overseas students in the city where we do shopping, and who knows when one might arrive with the virus. Could be never, could be 4 days ago, but not yet realized.

This has actually been a hard thing to teach and enforce, sanitation training, that is, and I think deserves its own thread over on General Education.

We live in the country and I have a chronic illness, such that we "stay home" a lot anyway, but I am not staying home more than usual.  In fact, I am looking for more social interaction at present. I am not doing extra stockpiling, though we do try to have enough on hand to get through electric outages and icy roads that we get nearly every winter, plus what I need for when I am not feeling well enough to go shopping. We pretty much always have a whole 25?, 50? pound bag of dry beans and some rice etc. in case we need it. Frozen stuff does not do so well in electric outages, so I like having some for regular use, but not so much that it would be a problem when as inevitably happens here the power goes out.

I have been both in runs on items for no reason, and also in a few disaster situations and it is much better if people keep cool, calm and collected, taking sensible precautions, not making panic type choices, which cause further problems.

I suspected as much.  I have no idea which one has pus in her eye and a sick child, but if you know those details you should probably have noticed the two diffeent names.  Let's try to not completely dehumanize these poor suffering people.

Wow.  When people admit they missed a detail, this is the response?  I really cannot talk to you anymore.  

Wow. When people admit they missed a detail, this is the response? I really cannot talk to you anymore.

The issue is that you repeatedly post and latch onto a small detail and miss very important and highly relevant information. When it is shown that you miss important details and you react aggressively towards those who point out your error.

The issue is that you repeatedly post and latch onto a small detail and miss very important and highly relevant information. When it is shown that you miss important details and you react aggressively towards those who point out your error.

That actually isn't true. This is the first detail I have missed. I admitted it right away to the person who pointed it out, and she reacted aggressively.

Members of the "mean girls club" sure stick together. This forum is talked about, even on other sites, because of this. It's why people leave.

I live in the general Austin area (3 hrs away or so) and went shopping Sunday and was Surprised how much food was gone. It is possible I just hit them before restocking. But I'm not used to seeing fruit stands, bread, peanut butter, etc. Wiped out of supplies. We only needed a few things so I don't know if I just had bad luck in what I saw. I didn't even relate it to ebola until reading this thread today.

I live in the general Austin area (3 hrs away or so) and went shopping Sunday and was Surprised how much food was gone. It is possible I just hit them before restocking. But I'm not used to seeing fruit stands, bread, peanut butter, etc. Wiped out of supplies. We only needed a few things so I don't know if I just had bad luck in what I saw. I didn't even relate it to ebola until reading this thread today.

My guess is that it was more related to the storms in the area.

When they predict bad storms for here (not always snow), people tend to remember to stock up on the basics.  It's predictable enough that the store manager will adjust work schedules to try to assist.

Right after a storm there will be a run on the stores too.

If your relative was working with HIV patients, I'd be surprised to hear that s/he was wearing a full hazmat type suit. It's certainly possible, of course, and I have no idea about your particular relative or the conditions s/he was in.  Speaking for myself only, I have spent years with HIV patients, and have never donned a suit.  I wear normal clothes.   :)  But then again, I'm talking about my oldest and closest friend, who has been positive for more than 20 years and we've been friends since before the diagnosis.  We vacation together, we spend hours and hours talking and laughing and crying sometimes.  I've wiped tears away, and inadvertently shared drinks.  We follow normal hygiene practices, and I've never contracted HIV.  Nor have my children.  

HIV is not as contagious as ebola. 

But until just a few days ago, the news reports rhetoric I was hearing was using the same terms to describe ebola transmission as AIDS transmission. This was listening to radio broadcasts, so sorry, I cannot give links. It did not sound like there was a goal of increasing fear of HIV so much as trying to calm fears of ebola, saying, don't worry, unless you put your hands in the vomit or blood and then put them in your mouth, you cannot get it. That was honestly basically what someone on NPR (a supposed expert, not a call in from the general public) said.

That is now changing. Thankfully.

The point made with my relative is not that they use the same garb for AIDS as for ebola, though, yes, as he described it they do wear substantial protective gear (this was for surgical situations, in an area also beset by war, not merely taking care of someone--and because of the HIV prevalence they were more protected than they would be for surgery in ordinary situations, particularly eye protection rather than just mask over nose and mouth), but the point is rather that following the protocol for the one was working. Following the protocol for the other is not working. Something is amiss with the understanding that has led to the protocol developed--or something is wrong with the equipment or something is wrong.  I linked the CDC author's paper in which it says that he or she "believes" that certain forms of transmission are not a problem even though there have been circumstantial reports of such transmission, but that they have not been figured out experimentally.  So the CDC protocols are based on "belief" and circumstantial evidence while ignoring other circumstantial evidence. I also mentioned the Science report that there have been 300 changes to this strain of the virus.

Somehow I do not seem to be able to explain that when doctors who are experts in dealing with contagious disease say, "I followed all the protocols, there were no mistakes made, but I got sick," and sometimes even perhaps seem to be offering this as a warning to others, that there is a problem in the understanding of the infectiousness/contagion/or something. A reply of well, there's a million things that could have gone wrong, or I've read fantasy books about viruses, to me does not cut it as a rational reply.

I am looking at Science, a top respected journal, and the reply is out of sci-fi fantasy,  I guess that is why I usually stay of Chat part of this forum.

My guess is that it was more related to the storms in the area.

When they predict bad storms for here (not always snow), people tend to remember to stock up on the basics. It's predictable enough that the store manager will adjust work schedules to try to assist.

This is what I was thinking. My favorite thing is to go to costco and people watch right before a storm.

So you do not want me to post the other examples? I thought you would want examples. I will refrain from posting more examples. If you change your mind let me know.

There must not be any worth mentioning if you had to fall back on Africa.

I went shopping at the HEB Saturday and they were completely cleared out of chips, salsa, and avocados. And we got steamrollered by Baylor.

But other than football food, there was no discernible reduction in the food supplies. This, despite the concerns (ultimately unfounded) that there was an ebola patient in a nearby hospital. I suspect your grocery store just needed restocking. Or we City folks are more fatalistic. ;)