Menu

Petty complaint about coil notebooks from Target (back to school sale)

I always stock up on coil notebooks at Target every year (we use them for everything - math, writing, etc.) We go through a lot of them. In past years, they were 25 cents! I would buy at least 20! Well this year they are a whopping 69 cents! I know that's nothing, but why are they so much more?! Funny how I will spend a ton of money on homeschool supplies, materials, etc. but I am feeling bitter about the rise in price on this one item!

Things cost a lot more this year. Only index cards cost the same. Spiral notebooks were cheap at Staples for a week. I managed to get some sales prices at Rite Aid for polytab dividers.

I print my own graph paper. It is a lot cheaper than buying the graph notebook.

The one that irks me is paying .25 for a spiral notebook, then having to pay 2.00 for a spiral graph paper notebook of the same brand.  The only difference is in the print on the paper!

If you don't mind, where did you find the spiral graph notebooks?  Does Target carry them?  I didn't see any in our Target, though they were already out of a lot of stuff, so perhaps I should try a different Target or office store.

If you don't mind, where did you find the spiral graph notebooks? Does Target carry them? I didn't see any in our Target, though they were already out of a lot of stuff, so perhaps I should try a different Target or office store.

Target has the loose leaf and the spiral graph notebooks in the back to school section only, not the regular stationary aisle.

Staples have them for $2.

http://m.staples.com/touch/product.html?sk_test=a#716522

?? I was at Target today and bought four wide ruled coil notebooks -- I thought they were 25c each. I just checked my receipt, and I got one of them for free! (So, four notebooks, 75c.) The SKU is 081200237. It is under the heading "Special Promotion."  I got them from the back to school section.

?? I was at Target today and bought four wide ruled coil notebooks -- I thought they were 25c each. I just checked my receipt, and I got one of them for free! (So, four notebooks, 75c.) The SKU is 081200237. It is under the heading "Special Promotion."  I got them from the back to school section.

I'll have to pop in again to look for that. Both targets I went to last week - all of the "cheap" ones were 69c.

I like to wait until after all the school supplies go on clearance and then I stock up.   

Nice to know that I don't Have to have them now.

I keep reading posts like this every year, but whenever I see clearance school supplies they are much more expensive than the sale prices I'm willing to pay or it's all weird stuff no one needs.  Where do people find good clearance deals?

I always stock up on coil notebooks at Target every year (we use them for everything - math, writing, etc.) We go through a lot of them. In past years, they were 25 cents! I would buy at least 20! Well this year they are a whopping 69 cents! I know that's nothing, but why are they so much more?! Funny how I will spend a ton of money on homeschool supplies, materials, etc. but I am feeling bitter about the rise in price on this one item!

NOT a petty complaint.  EVERYTHING is more expensive this year.  With groceries going up too I've become a real scrooge about school supplies.  I bought very little this year and nothing fun like I normally would--okay, not strictly true b/c I did buy a glittery notebook at walmart.

If you don't mind, where did you find the spiral graph notebooks?  Does Target carry them?  I didn't see any in our Target, though they were already out of a lot of stuff, so perhaps I should try a different Target or office store.

Walmart has them at the start of the school year

I just paid $.25 for them a few days ago at my Target. I didn't buy too many as I found several in our school supply closet that we had never used. I hope I got everything we need as a couple of years ago I waited, thinking we had the luxury of not being on the ps school schedule, and they were sold out of many things. I especially remember a folder shortage.

Still on the hunt for spiral graph notebooks.  No local Target has them (according to the website and I've visited multiple locations; I should check the online locator tool again), I couldn't find them at Walmart (school supply section was a mess), no local Staples has them, Office Depot and Office Max will be getting "some" in soon (I think the expensive Mead ones).  Target is where I usually do most of the school supply shopping and they have *very* little left of anything, considering it's only Aug 19th, although most PS have started already.

Office Depot guy said I wasn't the only one looking - several people asked yesterday.

I'll probably end up ordering on-line somewhere though they're pricey - I need to hunt around a bit more.  The Mead ones apparently are $4.50 at the Office Depot store, which is bad enough, but cheaper than Amazon.

Thanks Stripe!  Eta again, ack, no it won't let me ship to store.  Bunch of rats.

Eta, they supposedly are in-stock at a Walmart that is in a populated area, a 25-min drive.  I don't know whether I'm up to taking the chance unless I'm going that way for something else.  Maybe tomorrow.

Maybe they were out of the cheaper ones?

I was just comparing the ones I got last year for 25c - they have various colored fronts, 70 pages. They are the identical ones I got last year only this year 69c! I didn't see any cheaper ones, but I will look, probably later today!

Local Shopko Hometown had college ruled for $.25 with no marking on nearby wide ruled.

But the next aisle over had some for $1.69 that looked really similar. 

Just about all the school supplies that are left are marked 30% off. I suspect they'll go 50% or more by next week. Lots of folders left, but the snazzy notebooks were almost out.

I realized I forgot to get spelling notebooks (for their tests, reading comprehension quizzes, and phonogram quizzes) for dd#2 & dd#3, so I dropped by to pick a couple snazzy ones up to take some of the pain out of spelling. I have plenty of plain ($.25-variety) notebooks already.

Your prices are incredible cheap. 25c here would buy you the cheapest 32 page notebook (staplef not spirals) at the height of the summer sales. The cheapest spiral notebook i have ever seen was $1 but it was about 3 by 5 inches.

Feel any better?

Your prices are incredible cheap. 25c here would buy you the cheapest 32 page notebook (staplef not spirals) at the height of the summer sales. The cheapest spiral notebook i have ever seen was $1 but it was about 3 by 5 inches.

Feel any better?

Yes! Feeling better :)

My Target had the spiral ones for $.25 yesterday, but I didn't linger to look as I want them to go on clearance before I buy! We are down to our last few of the $.10 ones I got two years ago. After reading this thread, I think I'll just bite the bullet and go get some at $.25. Sigh.

I haven't bought any back to school stuff this year. (my kids are college-age so we didn't need a lot and I have a "stash" that they supplied themselves from) I have been waiting for the sales on what I want, but they haven't been there. Every year, I get a 30% coupon for Kohl's and they have great sales, but not this year. I got a "whopping" 20% thing sent to all the credit card holders and the sales weren't great. I spent $0.00

Target's sales haven't been good, either. Also, the selection is horrid. I have been wanting a new binder with a photo of a kitty on it. All they have are the solid color ones & polka dots and stripes. Where are the kitties?! I guess I'll print a photo of my OWN kitties and stick them in the front of a regular binder that I already own and make my own.

I admit I haven't been to Wal-Mart. I hate Wal-Mart but I may go tomorrow after I hit Target and see what they have. I dread going there, though.

Even Staples didn't have good sales. I finally caved yesterday and went to get dd her highlighters. She LOVES their Hype brand (they don't bleed through the cheap paper the way the other ones do) and I haven't seen them on sale, nor have I seen a coupon for them, so I bit the bullet and paid full price. That hurt. That's all I bought, though, as Staples is horribly expensive.

And the tax-free weekend? There were no 'deals' to be had. Everything goes on sale cheaper during the year, so we held off going out and will just buy when things reach our price point. And if they don't, we won't buy, or will only buy one of something instead of two. I'm not even convinced people saved anything by shopping in those crowds, either, as the advertized sales were paltry, so I'm not sure most people came out ahead.

On the plus side, I have saved a bunch of money and discovered that clear packing tape will hold together my kitty binder until I decide which photos of my cats I want to use in my DIY binder.