Menu

looking for a good water bottle...can you help?

ProudGrandma

about 3 years ago I found really good waters bottles by the company Hyrda-Sip.  They are stainless steel, double walled and they keep water/ice cold forever.  So I bought us each one.  Well, my son left his out and a car ran over it...needless to say, we need a new one.  But Hydra sip no longer exists...so I am looking for a new company.   I found Klean Kanteen which looks good, but they don't have the sport tops for their bottles (and I really like those)...

SO...if you know of a good water bottle that will keep ice water cold for a long time, PLEASE let me know.  By a long time or in extreme conditions, I mean this:  we ill our bottles with ice and then water..left them in a car for hours with the outside temps at about 100 degrees...came back and we still had ice in our bottles.  THAT is what I am looking for...can I get that??

thanks.

We all have Hydro Flasks https://www.hydroflask.com (though we bought ours from Amazon). The sports bottle top is priced separately.

The girls and I have the regular mouth bottles. Ice fits easily through the top. Dh and ds have the wide mouth bottles.

Water stays ice-y all day in Florida during the summer (we top it with cold water multiple times----some people in the family chew their ice so they have to add more...). Dd will have ice left in her bottle overnight during spring/summer here (she doesn't empty out her bottle after she gets home).

Dh uses his for tea during the winter. Tea stays HOT!

Kleen Kanteen does have sports top option. I've seen them at Whole Paycheck, well stocked natural food stores, and online. I prefer them as well, and was able to buy additional sport top without having to purchase another KK.

My dds have glass water bottles with the sports top (they don't like to hold cold metal). It's covered with patterned rubber. I don't know if those are by KK. I don't recall.

Thermos Vacuum Insulated 24-Ounce Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle, Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U55EKI/

I just ordered a new one after a year and a half. It's survived multiple falls to the driveway and hard floor. The last fall on the driveway dented the top where the lid doesn't seal perfectly and it leaks a little if it's on its side. I fall asleep nursing with it in the bed, so I ordered a new one. I'll keep using the old one in upright applications. ;) I have killed all others I've tried. I hate the sport type lids. This has an open spout thing (you can see it in pics on amazon). There are a couple of versions.

We loooooooove our Klean Kanteens here! They do have a sport cap -- but maybe there are different varieties of sport caps? Ours have the Sport 3.0 cap listed here: http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/accessories/klean-kanteen-caps.php. Except for mine, which has the regular screw cap because I prefer to drink that way instead of through a sport cap. They're all interchangeable, though, so you could always order a different cap.

We had one of ours break after a year or so, a weld crack, and they replaced it immediately, for free. Ours are between 1 and 6 years old, get used hard, and are still in excellent shape. We don't have the insulated ones, though.

Thermos Vacuum Insulated 24-Ounce Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle, Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U55EKI/

I just ordered a new one after a year and a half. It's survived multiple falls to the driveway and hard floor. The last fall on the driveway dented the top where the lid doesn't seal perfectly and it leaks a little if it's on its side. I fall asleep nursing with it in the bed, so I ordered a new one. I'll keep using the old one in upright applications. ;) I have killed all others I've tried. I hate the sport type lids. This has an open spout thing (you can see it in pics on amazon). There are a couple of versions.

We have similar ones, also by Thermos. Love it because of the little locking piece on the cap so it can be tossed in a bag w/ no worries about it accidentally opening & pouring water all over everything. Like zoobie says, ours (esp. the one my ds has) have survived many falls on concrete, etc.... I just toss them in the dishwasher too. They keep things very hot or very cold for a long time.

SO...if you know of a good water bottle that will keep ice water cold for a long time, PLEASE let me know. By a long time or in extreme conditions, I mean this: we ill our bottles with ice and then water..left them in a car for hours with the outside temps at about 100 degrees...came back and we still had ice in our bottles. THAT is what I am looking for...can I get that??

The Klean Kanteen insulated bottles absolutely are this good (AZ summer weather tested and approved), but they do not have the sport cap for these...yet. (I am convinced they are working on them. LOL) The sport lids for their single walled bottles are relatively new. My DH was stoked last Christmas when Santa put one in his stocking for the 40 oz bottle he uses at work. For the insulated bottles, the kids use the loop cap and DH and I use the cafe cap, and they keep our water ice cold even when left in the car the whole day.

We all have Klean Kanteens, but they aren't double-walled, so wouldn't stand up to your ice-water-in-a-car test.

Living in Phoenix for years I decided to come to peace with drinking warm water. Way back then it was just easier.

It doesn't have to be this way!! ;) I would invest in the insulated. So awesome! http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/insulated/klean-kanteen-insulated-20oz.php

The Under Armour water bottle is double walled and vacuum insulated. We had one but kept fighting over it because it is the only water bottle that would keep ice frozen. I've found ice in the water bottle the next day although that was indoors. I had to order one for everybody because nobody wanted to use any other water bottles. We have the stainless steel version in both the 18 and 24 ounce size. I don't know anything about the plastic ones. Search Amazon for Under Armour Dominate water bottle. I can't link on my phone.

The Under Armour water bottle is double walled and vacuum insulated. We had one but kept fighting over it because it is the only water bottle that would keep ice frozen. I've found ice in the water bottle the next day although that was indoors. I had to order one for everybody because nobody wanted to use any other water bottles. We have the stainless steel version in both the 18 and 24 ounce size. I don't know anything about the plastic ones. Search Amazon for Under Armour Dominate water bottle. I can't link on my phone.

This!

Here, I'll link for you!

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/dominate-24-oz-vacuum-insulated-ss-bottle-with-flip-top-lid/pid1232013-404

We each have one, too! It's great for the driver, too, because it can be opened one-handed and the lid doesn't flop down on your face when you tip it up.  :001_smile:

I've only put hot drinks in it, but the Teavana thermos keeps things scalding hot for longer than necessary. I only use it rarely because my tea is too hot for too long. After reading this thread, I think I'll start using it for cold drinks.

http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-cups-mugs/travel-tea-cups/p/teavana-stainless-steel-insulated-tumbler

Oh - I just bought an awesome one at REI.  The top is leakproof when closed and it keeps water cold a LONG time.  Like in a hot car for a few hours for sure, tested this week on that!   Double walled stainless.  And it will hold 20 oz, which is bigger than other ones I've had (I've had like 4 over the years).

http://www.rei.com/product/825465/rei-flip-top-vacuum-bottle-20-fl-oz

(ETA - I only use this for water.  I can't comment on how long it would keep something hot like coffee)

I was given a 40 oz insulated Hydro Flask as a gift about three weeks ago and it has revolutionized my life. Slight exaggeration only. I can use the same ice for two days. It's capacity is perfect for my needs. It comes with a screw top but I purchased a straw flip top. The sport top is also available. http://www.hydroflask.com/products/hydro-flask-insulated-water-bottle-40oz-large

Would love to replace my Klean Kanteen with a Hydro Flask. Will a Hydro Flask 40oz fit into a car cup holder? 40 oz is the right amount of water, but the 24 oz seems to be the only one that is slim enough to fit into a car cup holder. THANKS FOR ALL THE LINKS! :hurray:

Contigo. Picked it up at Costco. I have to be careful not to add too much ice, because it takes forever to melt into water!

ETA

These are the ones I got but I think it paid about $20 for the pack of two.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JEWG108/ref=mp_s_a_1_5/179-5545468-6856641?qid=1406230185&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Lol, I was going to say the exact same thing but I didn't want to use the " C" word.....

Another vote for Hydrofask. They are the best. I was looking for a new water bottle for DS and got this one. It is as good as advertised. I can put ice and water in it, take it to the beach, let it sit in the hot sun all day and it'll still be icy cold at dinner. So nice. I have another in my amazon cart for me when I place my next order. DH likes his water at room temperature, so he can use our old klean kanteens.

I have all the types Klean Kanteen water bottles they ever made! The water bottles are not insulated and have sports tops as options (or you can order just the sport top on amazon for them). The insulated KK's are great and are wider and have a "coffee drinking" type lid but not a sport top. DH and I use the insulated KKs for water and coffee. My son uses the regular KK with sport top for water. 

If I have to buy new ones, I would go with Hydro flask.