Menu

Wallpaper?????

DawnM

I was in a hotel this weekend.  I don't have cable at home, so I was excited to watch a few home buying shows where they buy and then fix up.

TWO homes they put in wallpaper!!!!!  Put in......as in, new, added now.

Is wallpaper back in????

Dawn

Were the walls damaged in some way, maybe?

We actually have a wallpaper mural in DD's room, but I didn't think wallpaper was in - it was just the best way to get a full wall mural for us.  Plus, the wall that it's on had been painted a deep, deep blue by our oldest DS when he was a teen, and it would have needed a lot of priming to cover it!  

Well, we put new wall paper in every room of our home (including hallways), except the kitchen and bathrooms, when we moved here 20 years ago.  Then again ours in a Victorian style home so it fits.  I often see it in one or two rooms in a home, where we live -- even the new homes.

NO!  The walls were NOT damaged.

In one room they put a dark wood grained looking wallpaper to give it an "outdoorsy feel"  It was awful IMO.

Dawn

Were the walls damaged in some way, maybe?

We actually have a wallpaper mural in DD's room, but I didn't think wallpaper was in - it was just the best way to get a full wall mural for us.  Plus, the wall that it's on had been painted a deep, deep blue by our oldest DS when he was a teen, and it would have needed a lot of priming to cover it!  

NO!  The walls were NOT damaged.

In one room they put a dark wood grained looking wallpaper to give it an "outdoorsy feel"  It was awful IMO.

Dawn

That sounds awful.  :(

I don't get it.  Removing wallpaper is a nightmare!  We really debated about the mural in DD's room for that reason, but since we're the ones who will be doing the removing someday, and because we know how it was applied, we opted for it.  

Wallpaper goes in and out, but it isn't seeing a huge comeback yet. Right now people are generally looking for texture, not pattern when they buy wallpaper. Cutesie flowers are out, tone on tone neutrals are selling, but no, it really isn't popular.

PS those home renovation shows usually aim for shock factor, and many aren't realistic at all. I remember once seeing someone hot-glue thousands of flowers to a wall. It was insane! Think of it as a fashion show, take just the basic elements that you like, boil them down and remove the crazy, then add the bits that you like to your own life.

Also, it's important it be put up properly by someone that knows what they're doing.  This way it can easily be taken down when needed.

That's an interesting point.  :)  Thanks for posting this.  We hired someone to hang the mural wallpaper for DD - and she said something similar, that it would be easier to remove because of the type of adhesive and the way she was hanging it.  Crossing fingers that this is true.  

Wallpaper goes in and out, but it isn't seeing a huge comeback yet. Right now people are generally looking for texture, not pattern when they buy wallpaper. Cutesie flowers are out, tone on tone neutrals are selling, but no, it really isn't popular.

PS those home renovation shows usually aim for shock factor, and many aren't realistic at all. I remember once seeing someone hot-glue thousands of flowers to a wall. It was insane! Think of it as a fashion show, take just the basic elements that you like, boil them down and remove the crazy, then add the bits that you like to your own life.

When those neighbors_renovating_each_others_houses TV shows were new, I saw one where they glued Straw to the wall.  Straw.  I think in a bathroom.  Or maybe it was a dressing room off the bathroom.  I think you'd have to remove the drywall and replace it, in order to recover from that.  

I remember once seeing someone hot-glue thousands of flowers to a wall. It was insane! 

I saw that show and thought it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen in decorating.  Can you imagine how dusty those flowers would get, besides the fact that it looked hideous!?!  I remember the woman not being very happy about it when she saw it.

I just saw a show this am where they hung wallpaper in an older home.  They claimed it was built in 1920, but it looked like 1960.  Anyway, they built white subway tile in the bathroom, accented it with some black and hung a white wallpaper with silver circles on it above the tile on the walls.  It looked great. 

I still have a love hate relationship with wallpaper. Love the way it looks, but hate to take it down.

DH company uses industrial wallpaper in their offices.  Wears like iron and they have a fabulous wallpaper/paint guy that hangs it. He can patch holes ( moving photos and such around) and no one can tell where the patch is.  So I guess it has it's purpose.

I like the look of wallpaper, but not the hassle, so I compromise by using fabric: it can be attached with liquid starch and removed very easily when I grow tired of it by simply stripping it off the wall. There is also no waste as the fabric can be repurposed afterwards. :)

As someone who just spent 18hrs removing wallpaper from a bedroom, I say it should never go up.  I don't even care about damaged walls.  I would rather see the damage.  I know most people would not, but at the moment, I'm in the wallpaper is evil camp.  The only thing worse is popcorn ceilings.  Well, almost worse.  I can live with those, but then again, my ceilings are 9ft high.  

And that textured stuff they do to walls on HGTV is awful.  Who wants sand on the walls?  It would have to be scraped off, like the popcorn ceilings.  

When those neighbors_renovating_each_others_houses TV shows were new, I saw one where they glued Straw to the wall.  Straw.  I think in a bathroom.  Or maybe it was a dressing room off the bathroom.  I think you'd have to remove the drywall and replace it, in order to recover from that.

I watched that show when it was new. I think the flowers and straw atrocities were from the same designer.

Honestly, I don't get the wallpaper hate. The two walls of paper I had to remove came off easily. My son had a pebble beach mural in his room when he was little. It was easy to put up and remove later. Some wallpaper is beautiful. I think it's much nicer than stenciling and quicker and easier than some paint finishes. I once helped a neighbor put up wallpaper. It wasn't THAT difficult and it makes a bigger difference than paint with less clean-up.

Maybe I just feel this way because I've never suffered a major wallpaper trauma.

When I was a kid we had wallpaper. The only fun part was that we got to color on it the night before it was replaced. It is a lot of work to peel it off - double papering was not done at my house, then mix the glue, put it evenly on the wallpaper and hang that darn thing straight.

Never again. I will paint walls to the end of my days.

As a real estate agent I hate to see wallpaper any where in a home. Yes, I'm sure there are some updated and upscale homes I'd love the wallpaper in....most of the time I believe wallpaper is dated 20 minutes after it's put up.

Believe me, buyers notice wallpaper. If it's not to their tastes wallpaper means bucks, time, and effort to get rid of. Paint seems much easier.

As a real estate agent I hate to see wallpaper any where in a home. Yes, I'm sure there are some updated and upscale homes I'd love the wallpaper in....most of the time I believe wallpaper is dated 20 minutes after it's put up.

Believe me, buyers notice wallpaper. If it's not to their tastes wallpaper means bucks, time, and effort to get rid of. Paint seems much easier.

I remember house shopping there was one that I absolutely Loved the wallpaper.  For some reason the owner was there.  I gushed a little over the wallpaper.  She was very pleased.  She said she'd heard nothing but complaints about the wallpaper.  I suspect that she would have taken a slightly lower price from me, then someone that complained.  It is was tiny impressionist flowers in bright pastels.  I forget why I didn't get that house.  

I was in a hotel this weekend.  I don't have cable at home, so I was excited to watch a few home buying shows where they buy and then fix up.

TWO homes they put in wallpaper!!!!!  Put in......as in, new, added now.

Is wallpaper back in????

Dawn

I don't think wallpaper has ever been truly gone. I think designs have changed, you know, but I don't think wall paper has been truly gone.

I like wallpaper myself (as long as it is installed properly so that it can be easily removed).

There is still a tiny bit of wallpaper in my son's bathroom.   I spent HOURS in that room trying to remove it.  It is still there, 7 years after our first attempt to remove it.  

I think since said son is 14 years old I will assign HIM the task now.  

We are all working hard to get this house ready to get on the market in the Spring.

They used a *staple gun* to attach those! You would have to replace the drywall to fix it. Plus, it was in a bathroom, so I imagine them mildewing.

I have seen a few HGTV shows using hideous 70's-type wallpaper for accent walls.

I often wonder if HGTV is getting kickbacks from companies that sell home improvement and decorating stuff, because I often see the exact same light fixtures, rugs, and small furniture items on different shows, and honestly, what are the chances that the same exact things would "just happen" to appear on several different shows? :rolleyes:

It's kind of pathetic to admit this, but I remember all of them! The beach sand basement and the silk flower bathroom are the ones that immediately pop into my head whenever anyone mentions that show.

Hildi was horrible. Doug was a drama queen, but Hildi was the absolute worst. I always said that if I was ever on that show, I would have wanted Vern to design the room in my house. Even with such a low budget, he always made his rooms look so nice, and he tried to keep the homeowners' style in mind when he created his designs.

I don't think wallpaper has ever been truly gone. I think designs have changed, you know, but I don't think wall paper has been truly gone.

I like wallpaper myself (as long as it is installed properly so that it can be easily removed).

You mean there is a trick to easy removal? Now I find this out after years of scraping off bits and pieces...?

PS those home renovation shows usually aim for shock factor, and many aren't realistic at all. I remember once seeing someone hot-glue thousands of flowers to a wall. It was insane!

That was Hildi on Trading Spaces. She probably did the straw on the walls, too. Her designs were often bizarre and out of touch with reality. o_0

You mean there is a trick to easy removal? Now I find this out after years of scraping off bits and pieces...?

Sometimes. If the wallpaper was applied properly, i.e., the walls primed before the paper was put up, then yes, it does come off easily.

I have four bathrooms and a kitchen with wall paper. It was installed directly on the wall board. No, it does not come off easily. I stripped one bathroom which yes, came off in bits and pieces. ::glares at the builder, who should have known better:: We tried stripping the master bath and ended up having to have one wall replastered; Mr. Ellie painted an oil-based primer over the rest, and I did a faux finish over the rest of it. I plan to leave the rest, because I like it. If I ever do want to strip the kitchen, I will pay someone to do it. Professionals have their secrets.

I did, too! It was Hildi on Trading Spaces, right?

It was. I always felt bad for people who had to live with her designs. I loved Vern though :-)

I saturated the paper with liquid fabric softener. The next day it just peeled off in whole sheets. It worked in the only two rooms I did.