Menu

Home from the ER again *photos added post #1*

swellmomma

Getting to be a Monday night past time for ds10.  Tonight while I was posting on the concussion thread asking how to make a kid with a concussion stop and relax to heal ds10 was out building a shelf for dd6s wall in the garage.  He dropped a jar of nails on the floor and it shattered.  As he went to get the broom for clean up he stepped on a piece of glass and it went right through the bottom of his croc and into the sole of his foot.  He now has 3 stitches for the next 7 days in the sole of his foot.  

The nurse complimented my bandaging job, that it was the exact amount of firmness to stop the bleeding (it was spurting) but not cut off circulation.  Apparently all those first aid classes and years of experience with my monsters paid off *eyeroll*.

In the end he faced his biggest fear (needles-for the freezing), got the stitches and is in bed.  He will now be taking the next 7 days off easy due to location of the stitches which means perhaps his concussion will get more rest too. 

I am ready for injuries to be done for the summer now.

This is the shelf he built.  He says he needs 2 more finishing nails in it before he paints it.  made completely with wood he found under the house. and the underside of the shelf

th_102_3538.jpg

th_102_3539.jpg

lastly the stitches in his foot.  Looking at it today I think he could have used a 4th stitch but it is what it is.

th_102_3543.jpg

Thanks everyone.  I am completely exhausted and running out the door to work.  Definitely going to need a nap before my afternoon shift I think.  The funniest thing about this is it is his left side again.  Every time this boy gets hurt it is his left side.  He has scars from past injuries on that side, it is the side that all his broken bones have been on, and now this.  Ds finally fell asleep around 2am.  His anxiety was keeping him up more than the foot itself but so glad once he finally fell asleep because it meant I finally could.  Just over a week until 2 littles go to grammas for 2.5 weeks, 1.5 weeks until teens leave and I won't have to worry about ER visits for a little while.

:grouphug:

Good job bandaging the foot. I probably would have cut off the circulation in my panic to stop the bleeding!

haha I am sure the neighbors got quite the entertainment value of the night.  My kids are so used to being given orders due to injury that it is the one time they jump into action and immediately obey.  Ds15 got me a clean cloth to put pressure on the wound and a wet one to wash the blood off us, Dd14 grabbed my purse and keys ready to get right in the car as soon as I said the word stitches, dd6 grabbed the first aid kit so I could wrap his foot after I stopped the worst of the bleeding.  It was still spurting but not quite as high at that point.  dd14 decided the tape in the first aid kit wasn't going to be wide enough and ran back into the house for the wider roll then helped me get ds10 into the car.  She and dd6 came with me to help get ds10 inside the ER and she watched dd6 in the waiting room, ds15 stayed home.  It was all very efficient and obvious that we have been through this before, no one was panicking they just each had their task and got it done lol 

I prescribe a giant roll of bubble wrap and a bike helmet!

My dd11 dove into the pool during swimming lessons and ended up with a six inch circular bruise on her thigh, then within a week ran into the stairs (not up, just straight into them) and ended up with a huge bruise that went from the middle of her chest and stretched over to include her arm.

My girl friend was there at the time of the stair incident.  I looked at her and told her she was my witness for this accident because seriously the kid looked like a severely abused and beaten kid. She has scraps on her legs and arms from falling off her bike, multiple nasty bruises and well, if I saw a kid like that I'd be asking some serious questions.  Luckily, every major event has had witnesses because the life guard asked her about the bruises.  Which I was fine with and glad he was doing his job.  But I did warn my dd that I was going to wrap her in bubble wrap and make her wear her bike helmet just so her body could heal up a bit.

Have you considered letting all your kids take some St. John's Ambulance training?  It sounds like they can remain calm in a situation.

Hope he heals quickly.

Once we were at the Children's hospital ER and the nurse asked me "haven't we just seen you?"...........and yes, it was our 4th trip in that week.----different kids but yes, we were frequent flyers.

Once I had ond dd up on 7th floor inpatient with a seizure/blocked CSF flow when ds calls me from home to tell me that he "accidently" grabbed the chain on his bike when he did a trick and cut his finger...................so I met him down in ER while dh went up to 7th floor to be with our other one.

Does Grandma know the way to the ER?  Just kidding. Wow. Maybe the hurting in his foot will keep him down a little! He sounds like such an interesting guy, making a shelf for his sister.

yup lol a few years back (sept '10) she was watching him for a weekend and he got pushed off a piece of play equipment and broken 2 bones in his arm and dislocated a 3rd.  

Last night before bed he asked me to take pictures of his foot and shelf to post on facebook, I told him I would take them when he got up today so once he is up I will get some pictures and post them. He is an interesting guy but man I could do without the injuries

I prescribe a giant roll of bubble wrap and a bike helmet!

My dd11 dove into the pool during swimming lessons and ended up with a six inch circular bruise on her thigh, then within a week ran into the stairs (not up, just straight into them) and ended up with a huge bruise that went from the middle of her chest and stretched over to include her arm.

My girl friend was there at the time of the stair incident.  I looked at her and told her she was my witness for this accident because seriously the kid looked like a severely abused and beaten kid. She has scraps on her legs and arms from falling off her bike, multiple nasty bruises and well, if I saw a kid like that I'd be asking some serious questions.  Luckily, every major event has had witnesses because the life guard asked her about the bruises.  Which I was fine with and glad he was doing his job.  But I did warn my dd that I was going to wrap her in bubble wrap and make her wear her bike helmet just so her body could heal up a bit.

Have you considered letting all your kids take some St. John's Ambulance training?  It sounds like they can remain calm in a situation.

My older 2 have first aid training, actually their certificates expire this month, If they don't redo at summer camp this year they will redo in the fall.  ds10 wants to take it next time too but due to his LDs I don't know if he will be able to write the test (he has dysgraphia in the long list of stuff), so if they will allow me to scribe for him then he can take it too.  They are kids so of course they don't always remain calm but they do take my lead.  When they phoned me at work to saw dd6 burned her finger while they babysat they were not all that calm until I talked them through what to do.  They had the right idea, getting it under cold water but needed the reassurance.  When dd14 phoned me to say ds10 hit his head you could tell in her voice she was scared but she had cleaned up his other scrapes from the fall and knew to call me.  I think they do really well handling situations and suspect with the amount of practice ds10 is giving us they will be able to do so in nearly every situation as they grow.

Ds10 last night said I should bubble wrap him to keep him safe.  I told him if I did that he couldn't do all the adventures he loves and so he decided that perhaps bubble wrap wasn't the best idea but asked if I would invent an invincibility suit lol 

I figure one day I will need to write down all the things they have done and catalogue all the scars so that one day when they have dare devil children I can laugh as I match every scar and misadventure to ever grey hair on my head lol

Wow, I didn't know about the concussion. Now the foot! You two have had a hum-dinger of a week! :grouphug:

well the concussion was 2 weeks ago (also on a Monday) but he was not fully healed from it yet.  fingers crossed Murphy has left the building.

:grouphug:

Remember to take care of yourself too.

that will happen when the kids all leave.  8 days until the little 2 do, july 5th the older 2 do as well.  Youngest come back july 19, dd14 comes back july 26 and ds15 comes back august 16.  As long as I don't get phone calls to meet anyone at the hospital in whatever town they are in, it will be all good