Menu

"Cheer Up" Movies

shinyhappypeople

What are your favorite "cheer up" movies?  Bonus points if it's streaming on netflix or prime at the moment (or available to rent on prime).  I'm a sucker for David and Goliath themes, and happy endings, and also clean comedies like "What About Bob."  It doesn't have to be a comedy, though.  Just something full of HOPE and encouragement.

I'm feeling totally down and grouchy the last few days and need a pick-me-up.  I think tonight I'm going to hide out in my room with the laptop, a good movie and a snack.

So, hit me with some suggestions!

Not a movie, but I've been enjoying Keeping Up Appearances. My family thinks I'm weird because they find the main character annoying, but that's the charm of the show. The actress is just great at the role and this is one of few comedy shows that I've actually laughed out loud at.

A lot of mine have already been mentioned.  Let's see:

• Spanglish (not exactly what you were describing, but still leaves me very happy in the end, characters are tempted to make bad decisions but choose moral ones despite the consequences, and everything is good in the end)
  • Last Holiday (a mousy Queen Latifah who's too afraid to live life gets diagnosed with a terminal illness and decides to experience all the life she missed before she dies - happy ending, on Netflix)
  • One of my kids has been watching Geek Charming (A disney channel teen movie) on netflix nonstop recently.  At first I hated it, but when I actually sat down to watch it with her I loved it.  It has heart.

Possibly not kid-appropriate, depending on your family's censorship of casual sex themes, but How I Met Your Mother (free on Prime streaming) always makes me laugh.

comedies.

how to marry a millionaire

gentleman prefer blondes

support your local sheriff

big hand for the little lady (you HAVE to see the last scene to really appreciate what everything it building towards.)

the court jester

A lot of mine have already been mentioned.  Let's see:

• Spanglish (not exactly what you were describing, but still leaves me very happy in the end, characters are tempted to make bad decisions but choose moral ones despite the consequences, and everything is good in the end)
  • Last Holiday (a mousy Queen Latifah who's too afraid to live life gets diagnosed with a terminal illness and decides to experience all the life she missed before she dies - happy ending, on Netflix)
  • One of my kids has been watching Geek Charming (A disney channel teen movie) on netflix nonstop recently.  At first I hated it, but when I actually sat down to watch it with her I loved it.  It has heart.

Possibly not kid-appropriate, depending on your family's censorship of casual sex themes, but How I Met Your Mother (free on Prime streaming) always makes me laugh.

If we are doing tv shows (not sure about streaming but...) Big Bang Theory never fails to cheer me up.