Menu

What breed of dog should we get?

bnbacademy

We are 3 years post-family dog and nearly ready for another dog.  We had 2 Black Lab mixes in the past.  We love the Lab personality, but oh, the hair! I would like the following characteristics: 

soft fur

easily trainable

kid-friendly (although ours are middle school+)

happy on 1 acre space

minimal shedding

little to no professional grooming required

protective or at least looks like could do harm

Does this dog exist? 

What breed do you recommend and why?

Boxer. 

soft fur - check

easily trainable - I've seen it (not in mine - but I'm lazy)

kid-friendly (although ours are middle school+) - totally

happy on 1 acre space - like a pig in mud, but will probably want to be near people

minimal shedding - check

little to no professional grooming required - check

protective or at least looks like could do harm - check, and they're loyal, very pack oriented dogs (your family being the pack).

ETA: I don't think a boxer would do well left outside all day, and certainly not in cold weather. 

We have a standard poodle.  You can learn how to groom them yourself.  We do ours about every other time.  It takes a couple of hours about every 6 weeks and we just bathe him and shave him down.  They meet all the other things on the list.  Ours has grown up with dd and is great with her.

We have a standard poodle. However, I like her to look really cute, so I am shocked that I need to groom her every 4 weeks. Fast hair growth! We had an Airedale previously. Great family dog, still need groomed but more like every 6 weeks! Love both of these breeds!

My dog fits all criteria.  I'm a cat person, actually, but i have the best dog in the entire world, if I do say so myself, and he meets all of your criteria.

He's an Olde English Bulldogge.  Different from the English Bulldog in that he's taller, not quite as squat, and lacks all of the health issues that typically follow English Bulldogs.  They also live a normal lifespan of 11-13 years, as opposed to the English which usually only lives 7 or 8.

He has relatively soft fur.  About the same as a lab, I guess, but he doesn't shed much at all.

They are fantastic with kids.  Just amazing.

Zero aggression, but people cross the street when we walk him because he looks like a bully.

No professional grooming required.

They don't need or even want too much exercise, so an acre is more than enough.  

They like to please, so are very easy to train. 

I have two, actually, but I'm partial to my boy. They're both great family dogs, though.  The only thing I'd caution against is that they don't do well with extreme weather for long periods of time.  Meaning, they can't be outside all the time in extreme heat or extreme cold.  We live in the South, so it gets dreadfully hot, but he's not an outside dog.  He does fine with walks all summer and winter, but that's enough.  Then, he naps.   :D 

Define "minimal shedding" more precisely.  It means different things to different people.  As an example, neither a Boxer nor any type of Bulldog would meet my criteria for minimal shedding.

A little more information on your one acre would help, too.  Is it fenced?  Do you mean you want a dog who is happy outside all the time?

And exercise -- how much time are you willing/able to put into exercising a dog?

My dog fits all criteria.  I'm a cat person, actually, but i have the best dog in the entire world, if I do say so myself, and he meets all of your criteria.

He's an Olde English Bulldogge.  Different from the English Bulldog in that he's taller, not quite as squat, and lacks all of the health issues that typically follow English Bulldogs.  They also live a normal lifespan of 11-13 years, as opposed to the English which usually only lives 7 or 8.

He has relatively soft fur.  About the same as a lab, I guess, but he doesn't shed much at all.

They are fantastic with kids.  Just amazing.

Zero aggression, but people cross the street when we walk him because he looks like a bully.

I have two, actually, but I'm partial to my boy. They're both great family dogs, though.  The only thing I'd caution against is that they don't do well with extreme weather for long periods of time.  Meaning, they can't be outside all the time in extreme heat or extreme cold.  We live in the South, so it gets dreadfully hot, but he's not an outside dog.  He does fine with walks all summer and winter, but that's enough.  Then, he naps.   :D 

Smiley-begging.gif

Define "minimal shedding" more precisely.  It means different things to different people.  As an example, neither a Boxer nor any type of Bulldog would meet my criteria for minimal shedding.

Also, a little more information on your one acre would help.  Is it fenced?  Do you mean you want a dog who is happy outside all the time?

I was comparing it to a lab.  It's not that they never shed, but I don't have mounds of it on the floor or stuck to the furniture or floating through the air or on my clothes.  

There is very little dog fur in my house.

Cat fur, however, is another story....

We have a miniature 3rd generation labradoodle.  You want several generations to make sure you are getting poodle-style fur.  She's really easy and is about the size of a cocker spaniel.  She can get pretty furry, but I just cut her fur back with scissors and then clip her myself.  The first time it took forever, but now it's really easy.

L

Our family is addicted to the lovable mixed breed pound puppies.

Over the past 20 years we've have :

Cocker-spaniel/Catahoula mix

Mutt of undetermined origins

Boxer mix

Beagle/Lab mix

Beagle/Basset mix

All of those adopted from agencies we knew what the mix was and could make a good guess about disposition and fur management. The Lab mix was the only one where I misjudged fur shedding. (In my defence I had never owned a lab before!) all of our mixes have had terrific personalities, been good with children, had few health issues, and been terrific additions to the family.

If you aren't completely set on a pure breed, you might consider checking your local shelter. Often they will have someone surrender the pregnant mother or the litter shortly after birth. Picking a mix of breeds that are good family dogs should give you as good a chance of getting a personality that fits as picking from a pure breed line.

Standard poodle. They do require grooming. We either groom them ourselves or have them groomed. I like to shave them down and only have to groom them every 3-4 months. They are super smart and practically house break themselves. Ours bark when someone comes. Although if you look closly they are wagging their tail.  They have wonderful temperaments and learn very fast.  Ours love to go to the lake.   My mom  just happens to have six adorable puppies for sale if you are interested.

Shelties can shed quite a bit when it gets warm but otherwise they are great with kids and very smart.

Hounds shed a lot IMO and often. If the lab type shedding bothers you most short haired dogs are going to be like that.

We have a dog that is 1/2 bichon and 1/2 yorkie. He doesn't really shed, he is protective of the kids. He isn't super bright and we have to get him groomed.

I would recommend a standard poodle too.  We are on our third and they are great dogs!  I know that they don't meet your grooming requirements, but they are worth the hassle of grooming.  We take ours every two weeks, but that's because I can't wash her myself due to allergies.  You could easily do a short clip to reduce grooming appts. or you could learn to clip him/her yourself.  They are also protective.  Mine barks at everything to let me know someone is near.  I am pretty sure my male that I lost in December saved me from a break in with his huge booming bark.  They amaze me with their intelligence and personality.

Suzanne

I have a miniature schnauzer, and she fits everything except the need for grooming - but you could do it yourself to save money.    She is 100% "big dog in a small dog's body" and the best watchdog we've ever had.   Playful, smart, doesn't shed at all.    She is very attached to her family and would not do well as an outside-only dog, but would love the space of an acre to run.   She can switch gears from "lap dog" - to "running companion" - to "watchdog" on a moment's notice.

We had an awesome westipoo (poodle-westie mix) that was just like that.  He did get westie vanity though.  He got jealous when other dogs in the extended family would go to the groomer and come back with a bandana and literally wouldn't calm down until one of the kids would wrap something around his neck and admire him. 

We bought some clippers and gave him a puppy cut every few months or so when the fur would get long. He's tolerate any sort of kids dressing him up as long as someone told him how handsome he was.  He growled at others ferociously if one of the kids felt threatened.  He was great at the dog park without much effort at socializing.

He apparently was hard to potty train - a couple of different families had left him at a shelter for being impossible.  I tether trained him and had no trouble, could trust him off leash in just a few days, but I was raised around lots of dogs and horses so maybe he could tell I would be alpha? 

Standard poodle. They do require grooming. We either groom them ourselves or have them groomed. I like to shave them down and only have to groom them every 3-4 months. They are super smart and practically house break themselves. Ours bark when someone comes. Although if you look closly they are wagging their tail.  They have wonderful temperaments and learn very fast.  Ours love to go to the lake.   My mom  just happens to have six adorable puppies for sale if you are interested.

If you are going to mention adorable puppies, we want to see pictures!

Boxer. 

soft fur - check

easily trainable - I've seen it (not in mine - but I'm lazy)

kid-friendly (although ours are middle school+) - totally

happy on 1 acre space - like a pig in mud, but will probably want to be near people

minimal shedding - check

little to no professional grooming required - check

protective or at least looks like could do harm - check, and they're loyal, very pack oriented dogs (your family being the pack).

ETA: I don't think a boxer would do well left outside all day, and certainly not in cold weather. 

Oh, the dog would be an inside dog, btw.

A little more information on your one acre would help, too.  Is it fenced?  Do you mean you want a dog who is happy outside all the time?

And exercise -- how much time are you willing/able to put into exercising a dog?

Minimal shedding to me means anything less than a Lab, i.e.: I do not want to vacuum daily.

Yard partially fenced, dc would need to walk dog to the farthest part of yard to let him run in a fenced area, otherwise would need to be walk on leash. Do not want to fence whole yard as there are trees/bushes along property lines. 

Dc would be the dog exercisers in back yard, road not an option. They are active boys, don't see this as problem. 

Would be an indoor dog in Virginia.

If you aren't completely set on a pure breed, you might consider checking your local shelter. Often they will have someone surrender the pregnant mother or the litter shortly after birth. Picking a mix of breeds that are good family dogs should give you as good a chance of getting a personality that fits as picking from a pure breed line.

We are good with mixes, mainly for the health/disposition reasons, although 1 of our Lab mixes had epilepsy.

We have a dog that ticks all your boxes except the last one, and maybe soft fur.  No one would be scared of him, and he really has (fairly soft) hair rather than fur, which is exactly why he doesn't shed.  It's long hair, but not super-thick, we just run a brush through it every now and then.  He is protective, though, in that he'll bark when someone comes to the door (but he's otherwise not yappy - that was one of my criteria).

He's a papillon/pomeranian mix, but I think he gets all his good traits from the former breed...  I thought I wanted some kind of poodle mix, but I think we did even better with the papillon mix.  I don't know that we'll ever get another dog (we're also cat people; dd wanted the dog), but if we did, I'd probably go for a papillon...

We are good with mixes, mainly for the health/disposition reasons, although 1 of our Lab mixes had epilepsy.

The boxer mix my mom has would definitely fit the bill.

Our beagle/basset mix isn't terribly intimidating looking, but he acts vicious when people approach his "pack" and as a young dog was a great companion for active boys. (And as he has aged he has become an excellent nap-with-mom dog!)

We love our standard poodle. We have him groomed every 5 or 6 weeks, and just bathe and/or brush him ourselves once a week or so. We keep him in a low maintenance clip.

Shedding is virtually nonexistent. He is a playful companion for our ds and is excellent with children in general. Super smart and easy to train. He house trained in 3 weeks as a puppy. He's a good guard dog as well, and warns us when a stranger is around.

What's great about these dogs is how attuned they are to their humans. They are remarkably perceptive of and attentive to the moods and expressions of their owners. I would say only border collies are more intelligent and observant, as a breed.

They are remarkably perceptive of and attentive to the moods and expressions of their owners. I would say only border collies are more intelligent and observant, as a breed.

I was reading these replies to Willow my standard. She was excited at the thought that the majority of the responses stated the op should get a Standard poodle. When I came to this part she got highly offended and walked out of the room. I guess I am going to have to take her for a walk and try to pacify her. :)

PS. I know I'm a nut when it comes to my dog. She is my stress outlet and I lub her. :)

Cocker spaniels can be much like labs in temperament, just smaller. If you keep their hair cut, it doesn't shed too much although they do still definitely shed (I am not fond of lab hair either although I love the breed). Standard poodle might be what you are looking for if you want the same size. I find GSD's to be much more stubborn then Labs, Boxers are like Labs in the first two years but the labs mature and settle and boxers are like eternal puppies with that energy. Beagles require fencing as their nose constantly gets the better of them (as all hounds tend to be), but if you have a good fence, they are a great dog. We are super fond of the Pit that we have here although you need to be firm with the training when they are young because they can be stubborn and have a lot of power. We have had many, many, many breeds come through here from the vet clinic over the years.

Another suggestion, Standard Schnauzers are smart, don't shed, are a nice size, great temperament, very trainable, and have awesome personality. When I was looking for a small breed that would be close to a Lab in trainability for my oldest son and yet didn't shed we ended up with a Schnauzer. It's been a great match and pretty much what we were expecting temperament wise.

results = Canaan Dog ??  Never heard of that one.

My dream dog, lol. Not a common breed, though.

Honestly I don't know much about the smaller breeds, so the only dog I can think of that fits most of your requirements is a greyhound or maybe a basset - though both are so-so on training and I don't know that they have soft fur, per se. 

I like poodles but they do need grooming (even if you do it yourself) and all the boxers I have known need more exercise than playing with the kids, at least when they were pups.  Low shedding AND little grooming is tough.

hth,

Georgia

My avatar is a Klee Kai. Some people call them miniature huskies. It may not meet all of your criteria, but here are some positives:

1: Guard dogs, even at 22 lbs. Mine defeated a grown German Shepherd once. Long story.

2. Super soft. For softness, one should choose a northern breed. These breeds have thick soft undercoats. My Klee Kai feels like a big pile of the softest yarn imaginable. That softness comes at a price, shedding.

3. Most northern breeds like Klee Kai's only she'd twice a year if they are raised outside in colder climates. But those few weeks during shedding season is insane with one dog filling a garbage bag with hair per day. If one chooses to keep a northern breed in a hotter climate or in air conditioning, it will shed daily.

4. Those thick undercoats make it harder for fleas and ticks. Our Klee Kai has not been on any flea prevention in five years.

5. No grooming required. No baths either. Klee Kai's do not have a dog odor. If one gets any dirt, he will lick himself clean.

6. Extremely easy to train.

7. No barking except a few. Ours howls when someone comes to the door she does not know.

8. Great with kids. Will play fetch all day.

9. Need to be confined as they are escape artists until older,

10. Small, but looks fierce. Is fierce when guarding.

Another place you can look is Right Pet on-line. Folks "review" their own breeds of dog (cat, lizard, hamster, rabbit, goat, chicken...) and you can get a good feel for what the breeds you are considering are really like.

My dog fits all criteria. I'm a cat person, actually, but i have the best dog in the entire world, if I do say so myself, and he meets all of your criteria.

He's an Olde English Bulldogge. Different from the English Bulldog in that he's taller, not quite as squat, and lacks all of the health issues that typically follow English Bulldogs. They also live a normal lifespan of 11-13 years, as opposed to the English which usually only lives 7 or 8.

He has relatively soft fur. About the same as a lab, I guess, but he doesn't shed much at all.

They are fantastic with kids. Just amazing.

I have two, actually, but I'm partial to my boy. They're both great family dogs, though. The only thing I'd caution against is that they don't do well with extreme weather for long periods of time. Meaning, they can't be outside all the time in extreme heat or extreme cold. We live in the South, so it gets dreadfully hot, but he's not an outside dog. He does fine with walks all summer and winter, but that's enough. Then, he naps. :D

Okay, I just want to tell you how amazed and excited I am to read about this breed! Tangent backstory coming up...

When I was quite young (10, perhaps), I read an article entitled, "What Man Has Done to Dogs." It told of how so many breeds had been bred with health problems associated with their extreme physical traits - the Dachshund, with its over-long back, Pekinese with its globular eyes and respiratory ailments, Collie Eye and Hip Dysplasia, and the Bulldog for all its troubles. Because I have always been an idealist, I created a chart of how one could breed healthier versions of the breeds. I had an image in mind for the Bulldog to be redesigned back to the original stature of the old-type bull-baiting dogs.

Imagine my surprise at learning, due to your post, that some guy named Levitt had precisely this idea (and was apparently older than 10 and could thus act on his intentions.) I am blown away to discover that this dog breed I imagined all those years ago does now exist!

And I wouldn't mind having one, either, except I am very partial to German Shepherd Dogs.

Okay, I just want to tell you how amazed and excited I am to read about this breed! Tangent backstory coming up...

When I was quite young (10, perhaps), I read an article entitled, "What Man Has Done to Dogs." It told of how so many breeds had been bred with health problems associated with their extreme physical traits - the Dachshund, with its over-long back, Pekinese with its globular eyes and respiratory ailments, Collie Eye and Hip Dysplasia, and the American Bulldog for all its troubles. Because I have always been an idealist, I created a chart of how one could breed healthier versions of the breeds. I had an image in mind for the Bulldog to be redesigned back to the original stature of the old-type bull-baiting dogs.

Imagine my surprise at learning, due to your post, that some guy named Levitt had precisely this idea (and was apparently older than 10 and could thus act on his intentions.) I am blown away to discover that this dog breed I imagined all those years ago does now exist!

And I wouldn't mind having one, either, except I am very partial to German Shepherd Dogs.

Yes!  My first dog ever was an English Bulldog, and I loved her, but I just couldn't see owning another.  I really think they should stop breeding them.  They are a deformity.  The mothers can't even have natural birth.  So sad to me.

These?  They have the best of everything they've been bred with to create the breed.  Good health, great temperament, just awesome dogs.  

What's great about these dogs is how attuned they are to their humans. They are remarkably perceptive of and attentive to the moods and expressions of their owners. I would say only border collies are more intelligent and observant, as a breed.

I would have to agree.  We had a standard poodle when I was a kid (my dad always claimed he had no eyes as we NEVER clipped him.  ;) )  He was a fantastic family dog.  Of the standards I've known over the years, I have yet to meet a bad one.

However, I feel compelled to mention that when reading this to my border collie Trish, she told me (via ESP of course because we're connected like that) that one mustn't allow other dogs to be compared to borders; it's not good for their self-esteem.  They try the best they can...

Then she went back to her calculus homework.  

We are 3 years post-family dog and nearly ready for another dog. We had 2 Black Lab mixes in the past. We love the Lab personality, but oh, the hair! I would like the following characteristics:

soft fur

easily trainable

kid-friendly (although ours are middle school+)

happy on 1 acre space

minimal shedding

little to no professional grooming required

protective or at least looks like could do harm

Does this dog exist?

What breed do you recommend and why?

We have a cavalier King Charles spaniel. He meets all your requirements except the protective and he is full grown and looks like a puppy. He has soft, silky fur. He loves all children. He has been a breeze to train except for jumping on people, which he does out of excitement (progress is happening but it is slow) and he pulls on the leash if he sees a squirrel, rabbit, cat, or ground squirrel. He wants one badly lol. He is not a high energy dog. We do a walk every day but he doesn't need to be run or anything like that. He is a medium shedder, but he is small enough that I don't notice it on furniture or rugs. If he is on my lap though I will notice it on me, but the cat is way worse. He doesn't need a professional groomer but does need to be brushed and combed once or twice a week. He is feathered so with burrs that can be a bit of a pain. We have a fenced in yard, way less than an acre and he is fine with that much space. And today he caught a fly that had been bugging the crap out of me all morning, snapped it right out of the air. I was very proud.

We have a Belgian Malinois mix, somebody's pound puppy that they didn't want to keep; we got him at about 1yo. He is short-haired, some shedding, but the only grooming he needs is a bath every few months and his toenails done, although a brushing is *quite* welcome. He is an inside dog but loves walks and looks quite intimidating. This breed is often trained for police/military work. They are not big cuddlers, which is just as well as they run 40-75 lbs--but he'll come & put his head in my lap to be petted and is lying @ my feet right now. Some people say they tend to be 1-person dogs, but he is happy to go with anybody in the family. When we moved he had to stay with someone else for a few weeks and he *really* missed us...wouldn't eat, was nearly hysterical when we came to get him.

I LOVE my German shepherd -- and I have loved my past Lab mixes too -- but he sheds like a crazy man. They call them German "shedders."

I've also heard nothing but good about standard poodles. Very smart -- in fact they're supposed to be smarter than the German shepherd and the Australian shepherd. Very friendly. Very sweet.

The one I knew was relegated to the backyard and it was so sad -- he clearly wanted to be with the family.

Alley