Menu

Anyone Else LOVE Having A Tween?

I love the quirky humor. I love the changes as he starts to to lose the baby face look. I love the questions and in-depth discussions. I love everything about having a tween. 

Anyone else?

:iagree: (except the little stinker went and had a birthday and now he's a full fledged teen!)   His humor is even more quirky. His baby face is getting more angular and starting to have a fine crop of baby fine dark hairs on his upper lip.   I took him in to the University office to get a summer ID card to use the ice rink. The lady at the desk asked if he wanted to use last years picture.  He asked if he still looked the same. She looked at his picture and said, "Well, you certainly are much more mature looking this year!" He puffed out his little chest and grinned. Then she leaned over to me and said in a stage whisper...He's still awfully darn cute. Little boy just rolled his eyes and smiled. :rolleyes:

He's such a cool kid and since he's the last, he sure is a high note ton which to end the whole parenting thing .  I'm just glad I still have a few more years to keep him around. I think the teen years are going to be just as much fun.

I have enjoyed every stage so far. (Except crawling.....man that stage stinks!)

The tween stage has new challenges for me but I can't tell if some of what I keep running up against is typical tween boy or things that are related to his ASD.

I love watching and participating in his sense of humor growing. I also deeply enjoy the moments of wild abandon interspursed with moments of increasing maturity.

I'm with you. I've adored all the stages here, and I joke that I'd love to clone DS to have about four of him at different stages!

But the tween stage is mostly fun. He's more independent and doesn't need me every moment. And he's getting to be a fantastic helper... Tonight I walked in the backyard and he was getting ready to water plants without being asked. And yes, the quirky humor and the great conversations are wonderful!

We've been considering school this fall, for a variety of reasons.... But we're just getting good at doing this at home, and he's just getting so interesting, I'm not sure I'm ready to give it up!

Yes to the humor! Mine is so quiet and not much of a talker so we haven't had any wonderful discussions yet, and I'm not sure if we ever really will ( :crying: I loooove discussion).  But I am happy that she is beginning to argue.  This little thing would always accommodate and give in for people.  I was so worried she'd become someone's doormat (and being the argumentative person that I am I just didn't understand).  But, she's speaking up, contradicting ideas and facts, asserting herself in creative (and humorous) ways... It has all been good growth! :hurray:

Shhh. It's not a popular opinion, but I have loved every stage except babies :leaving: .

I love my teen and tween.

I'll echo this- except I'll add toddlers to your babies.  There's a reason we stopped at 2 kids... Give 'em to me potty trained and I could have had a dozen.  But those first 3 years just about did me in.

I love my tween.  I love my teen.  Seriously, I thought ages 6-9 were great while we were there, but now they are REALLY fun people to be with.

I also loved the tween years and the teen years are great so far. I will also admit that I do not miss the baby years at all. Really can't think of anything I miss about those years.

The only bad thing about being a mom who loves the big kid years best is that just as they are the most fun, poof! They are gone :(

My girls are teens now.  I've have thoroughly enjoyed every year, but the tween and teens years are special.  My older daughter is turning into a very good cook.  My younger daughter keeps all of us organized.  I can leave for work and not worry (too much.)  Both are developing into fascinating people with diverse interests.  Clearly, I'm biased, but my girls are lovely young women and I'm proud to be their mom.

LOVE them! Stink and all. They're amazing!!

Mine has the opposite problem. He showers more than any teenage girl I know - and I had 4 of them. Fortunately his are blessedly short. But, we frequently have a conversation like this:

Mom, I'm going to take a shower.

Before skating. Why not wait until after.

Mom, I skate pairs!

Sooooo

I can't skate with a partner and lift T if my pits stink! That's gross!

The kid goes through deodorant at a pretty rapid pace. :001_rolleyes:

I love my tween.  As in I love her for herself.  I don't always love her behavior or her moods or her drama because they can make her miserable and to some extent me too.  (I can just keep it in better perspective than she can.)  But even in the midst of the worst behavior, moods and drama I never lose sight of my love for her.  And the thing is, she isn't just moody and dramatic.  She's also funny, loving, passionate (in a good dramatic mood sense), smart . . . . and being a tween allows her to express those things even more than she could when she was younger.  

I have loved every age and stage I have been able to spend with my children so far but I enjoy the older stages for different reasons.  They are becoming adults with interesting opinions and incredible senses of humor and that's so delightful.  And now (at 12 and 14) it feels like we are coming to the end of their time at home and I want to savor every remaining minute they have here.  Watching them growing into men (voice changing, and one is taller than me and egads - shaving) is so amazing and freaky and stunning.

Now when it comes to Other People's Kids - I love babies.  And I like my nieces and nephews and most of my kids' friends.  But as a general rule I really don't like children beyond the baby stage!

My kids did each have a year that I remember as a difficult one for them - not sure why, but 11 for my oldest and 3 for my youngest were weird - lots of challenges.  I don't remember not enjoying them during these years, but I do remember more discipline issues than usual and a feeling of needing to be both more consistent with rules and more loving/understanding at the same time and hoping that these changes were just transitional phases.  Thankfully they were.

I don't know about tweens but I am definitely looking forward to them. I can't wait to do real, meaningful things with them, and being able to talk to them. Really talk. Doing projects together, it sounds great!

I'll echo the unpopular opinion of disliking babies. I love my babies, of course, and I have hardly put my newborn down all week, by choice. But I really don't like babies much. I'm struggling with my 18mo old. But once my eldest turned 2.5 it was a whole different experience, so much more fun and rewarding! It's worth it, and the baby stage definitely has it's rewards occasionally.

Mine is 14 now.  He'll be 15 this summer.

I enjoyed his tween years.  He has always been a pretty easy going person.  That hasn't changed.  It wasn't a walk through the roses, though. There were some things that were really difficult for him that I wish I could have helped more, but nature does what nature does.  He had a very rough series of growth spurts that were very painful for him physically, but also the hormonal rush was difficult for him emotionally at times.  He had his crabbiness when in pain and moodiness sometimes, too, but I tried to be understanding of that and help him see how it was just the growing up that was getting at him.  Poor kid.  It really was rough for him.

There was one point where he just screamed "I want to stop growing up!" and it was bittersweet.  In a way, I kind of want him to be 5 years old again, but that's not reality now, is it?  And if he stayed 5, I'd never know the almost 15 year old that he is now, nor all the ages in between.  I cherish it all.  It's too short as it is. 

I do!  Each time I think my kids cannot get any more interesting, we move onto the next life stage and we have a whole new adventure awaiting us.  I love the discussions that we can have on a more adult level, I love being able to laugh at somewhat more adult things, and I love watching her mature and take more responsibility for her direction in life.

I really loved the baby stage.  The crawling toddler stage, when they are into everything and not understanding limits...that I could have done without.  A friend of mine hated the infancy stage; she thought it was incredibly difficult; but I thought it was easier than most other stages.

Shhh. It's not a popular opinion, but I have loved every stage except babies :leaving: .

I love my teen and tween.