Menu

Homeschool teen kicked out of local prom because the male chaperones found her too sexy

That was my thought as soon as I saw that picture.

I honestly have a hard time getting myself worked up about this one. Yes, rape culture is horribly wrong, harmful, and needs fixing at a societal level. But I wouldn't go to a prom put on by a Christian homeschool group expecting otherwise any more than I'd go to a frat party with the assumption that everyone is going to be sitting around playing Monopoly and drinking Pepsi.

I also agree with whoever said they suspect she's a pot-stirrer. A quick look at the blog shows that Christian patriarchy and spiritual abuse is the primary focus, and that the family relatively recently left a fundamentalist church (and perhaps that also made her a target at this event?).

(Which isn't to say I'm not supportive of her. I hope she's a pot-stirrer getting the exact reaction she hoped for, and not someone entirely innocent who had a special night ruined.)

The sisters blog says it was not a Christian dance and not sponsored by a church.

I think it is crazy creepy that she was kicked out for that dress. I do wish she had not used such foul language to out them. It diminishes her message which was strong on its own merit.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read while poking around, another girl was also asked to leave, so this girl was NOT singled out.  And some have said the girl who wrote the article was rather belligerent about the entire thing, which possibly escalated everything. 

All of the other kids in this girl's party left, because they were sharing a ride. I haven't been able to find any report that says another girl was asked to leave because of a dress. 

Apparently part of the problem was that when she raised her arms the dress went up to undie- flashing territory.  But, hey, that's what happens with short dresses -- make the dress code different if you have a problem with that.

Do you have a link to something saying that she actually raised her arms and flashed her underwear? Because she says she was only there for 15 minutes before she was asked to leave and never did more than sway to the music. I can't find any reports that say she flashed her underwear. I wonder if this started as someone speculating that this might happen if she raised her arms.

These people need to stop micromanaging nearly adults at a recreational activity. Why does prom need a dress code? In 4 months, will mommy be there measuring clothes at college?

The prom was open to kids who had completed 8th grade, through high school, plus alumni.

I have a feeling next year things are going to change, particularly in regard to alumni. :lol:

I liked this, but that is not good enough! Here, here!!! Bravissimo!!!

Exactly this!

If men and boys were so primitive that they spent all their time fantasizing about females and sex, I'm pretty certain we wouldn't have telescopes, calculus, roads and bridges, cars, nuclear chemistry, and space shuttles. I mean give.me.a.break! Puuuuuleeeeeeeze!

Good men and decent boys ABOUND! God help us if this were not so.

It's all about subjugating women and making them inferior, second rate, and less trust worthy.

:iagree: Although I do think that telescopes and binoculars might have been invented considering how they are sometimes used.

I can see this bring my niece, except she's not homeschooled. She's leggy and busty and very attractive. She is very considerate of others, but at the same time, very confident of herself. She will be the first to stand up to ANYONE if she feels that someone is getting bullied. And she isn't afraid to stand up for herself, either.

This has caused some conflict, because around here, the mindset that children don't argue with adults but do what they're told is very prevalent. So, once told to leave, the issue then becomes a child not listening to adults or being argumentative. Many adults, some in my own family, have a hard time with being confronted by a teen!

My niece has butted heads with many adults, because not only does she not follow this "where a burlap sack" mindset of modesty...and even if she did, she'd probably still look attractive!...but she's not afraid to challenge anyone.

Absolulely! I actually thought that dress was completely sedate compared with some I saw this year.

We made the mistake of going to the local Olive Garden recently and when we entered my dd4 was ecstatic:

"Mommy, look, it's PRINCESS night at Olive Garden! Are they real princesses? Do you have a tiara? Why not? Is that boy your prince? You should not marry a boy you just met! ( thank you Frozen!)...and on and on...

Until the very loud Mommy, that girl forgot her top! Look her bOOKs are out and she must be COLD! She needs a cape!"

Cue every person in the waiting area to scope out the poor mortified girl:(

We ate at FreebirdsĂ°Å¸ËœÂ³

That.is.AWESOME! Out of the mouths of babes....

Just to clarify: my niece will follow rules without questioning because those are the rules. She isn't a "pot stirrer". But those rules had better not be arbitrary.

And the issue with my niece is just that some adults--and yes, invariably, they also follow the patriarchal mindset--just can't handle an attractive, intelligent, and CONFIDENT (not rebellious) young lady.

Just to clarify: my niece will follow rules without questioning because those are the rules. She isn't a "pot stirrer". But those rules had better not be arbitrary.

And the issue with my niece is just that some adults--and yes, invariably, they also follow the patriarchal mindset--just can't handle an attractive, intelligent, and CONFIDENT (not rebellious) young lady.

Well, many of them would define intelligent and confident as rebellious... 

One of my girls is the same way.... arbitrary rules make her pretty mad- even if she is perfectly fine with the rule to begin with. And 99% of the time, they have been dress code rules at homeschool events. :glare:

My first impression of cleavage is the poor woman must not have any intelligence or lives in a trailer. Call it an unfair generalization or whatever, but the first impression is real.

Wow!

I guess I have to say that I find it just a little bit creepy that there are those that actively stare at people to see if they approve of their clothing choice or not. I find it creepy that there are people in public staring at me to see if I move just right, they can see cleavage and pronounce me trashy. When I'm in public, I'm rather busy with my shopping, my kids, my list, the clock, and genuinely thinking about other things than who might or might not be "trampy" looking. I am saddened that there are those that can't keep their minds on their own business and get their jollies out of demeaning others. I wish people had better things to do with their time when they leave the sanctity of their homes.

My IQ is very high, I have bachelor's degrees in piano performance. philosophy, and music education and live in a 100+ year old renovated former Methodist church with stained glass windows, and own a sleeveless, V-neck evening gown that if I had to bend over in order to retrieve my hankie, might possible produce a little skin if you decided you needed to stare at me and try to see down my front in order to get a glance at it. I guess you need to expand your definition of unintelligent and your perspective of what type of abode in which we unintelligent women reside.

Mostly, I hope you really didn't mean to come across that way because otherwise, I'm very sad for you.

The prom was open to kids who had completed 8th grade, through high school, plus alumni.

I have a feeling next year things are going to change, particularly in regard to alumni. :lol:

Yes, their alumni does seem to be the main issue! Maybe Mr. Gothard can chaperone next year. He has some time on his hands... ;)

That was my thought as soon as I saw that picture.

I honestly have a hard time getting myself worked up about this one. Yes, rape culture is horribly wrong, harmful, and needs fixing at a societal level. But I wouldn't go to a prom put on by a Christian homeschool group expecting otherwise any more than I'd go to a frat party with the assumption that everyone is going to be sitting around playing Monopoly and drinking Pepsi.

I also agree with whoever said they suspect she's a pot-stirrer. A quick look at the blog shows that Christian patriarchy and spiritual abuse is the primary focus, and that the family relatively recently left a fundamentalist church (and perhaps that also made her a target at this event?).

(Which isn't to say I'm not supportive of her. I hope she's a pot-stirrer getting the exact reaction she hoped for, and not someone entirely innocent who had a special night ruined.)

This is the direction I'm thinking, too.  

Also, much as I agree that this is ridiculous, did anyone notice in the pic that she has her elbow bent?   ;) Usually the "finger tip" rule means to the fingertip of an arm locked straight.

I'm curious what the other side of this actually is, also.

PS:  Our local high school enacted a dress code for dances a few years ago--Fingertip length for dresses and covered cleavage (both front and rear)  I don't think that's out of line, personally.  The girls still look phenomenal and we no longer have proms that look like a gathering of high-dollar hookers.  

I'm not seeing where that's any more "patriarchal" than telling the boys they can't wear jeans and have to have jackets...  

These people need to stop micromanaging nearly adults at a recreational activity. Why does prom need a dress code? In 4 months, will mommy be there measuring clothes at college?

Why does prom need a dress code? Really? Here's what would happen if they didn't have a dress code. Certain kids would use that opportunity to wear something  inappropriate by almost any standard. Then, you have parents complain about the lack of clothing. When minors are involved, adults are responsible for the environment. It is wishful and foolish thinking to imagine that  500 teens will all make appropriate decisions regarding their dress and conduct.

Prom or dance organizers are in a no-win situation.  The adults in charge are trying to head off certain issues by placing some standards in place. The standards in place for this dance, finger-tip dress length, is not overly restrictive and a fairly common guideline. 

It was suggested that if she raised her arms and undergarments showed, well, there really shouldn't have to be a rule ahead of time about making sure undergarments remain hidden. This is where we only know one side of the story. Was she a pretty girl with a cute figure that was treated unfairly by a prudish and patriarchal-following chaperone? Or was she a girl whose dress, intentionally or unintentionally, rose to an indiscreet level with her movements, gave lots of attitude when confronted, and possibly exaggerated her conversation with the chaperone. 

It's sad when adults go to great lengths to try and organize a fun event for 500 homeschooled kids, and a mess is created.They're trying to recreate a activity that public schooled kids attend and make it available for homeschoolers. This sad situation has overshadowed a huge effort on the part of parents for their kids to create fun memories. 

This is the direction I'm thinking, too.  

Also, much as I agree that this is ridiculous, did anyone notice in the pic that she has her elbow bent?   ;) Usually the "finger tip" rule means to the fingertip of an arm locked straight.

I'm curious what the other side of this actually is, also.

We'd have difficulty with that- two of my girls have a congenital bone condition that affects their elbows.  The milder one is about 165* rather than 180* straightened, so they automatically qualify for shorter dresses based on this. :leaving:

Seriously, though: a girl can also slightly raise her shoulders to give a higher-fingertip length. A nit-picky hem inspector can say that the dress has to come to the end of her long nail-tips rather than the actual skin part of the finger. A guy in a tux can be wearing ladies panties underneath. The girl in the highneck floor-length gown may not be wearing any. :glare:

I agree that fingertip length is a stupid rule.  I have very long arms, so my dress would be halfway to my knees, but some shorter limbed people I know would be showing their underwear.

Yeah, you'd be able to see my bits if that was the rule.  I do NOT have long arms-something that makes yoga difficult for me. 

And women who may have a less than average IQ or live in trailers do not deserve respect because....??  Care to fill in that blank?  

That's the real question.

While I see the points of all those here who say letting it all hang out is acceptable and not a deterrent to the male population, there is still at least some of us who feel it is just plain slutty. My first impression of cleavage is the poor woman must not have any intelligence or lives in a trailer. Call it an unfair generalization or whatever, but the first impression is real. Time has not changed it, nor has hearing the endless chatter if nakedness is a woman's prerogative.

Well, good thing I can barely rock an A cup.  I guess technically I still have cleavage (thanks to Victoria's Secret).  I guess this means I'm pretty smart and live in a McMansion.  

Newest note on the Wine and Marble blog:

"Clare is very touched by all the support! But she is still a minor, so for her privacy and for the sake of my familyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s privacy, my dad has asked that she not do any interviews herself at this time. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m more than happy to talk to people, and so is her boyfriend, James."

I think her parents are stepping in too late...

I hate the argument that girls/women have to dress so as not to "tempt" boys/men or lead them to "impure" thoughts, etc.

Even if I put the biggest bucket on the biggest tractor I have, it is still not enough to move that big a pile of bull flop.

I would much rather my son see people how they will dress.  Yes, some people have a taste for some very skimpy clothing.  It is a teachable moment when we come across those people.  We do people no favours by enabling them.  Men are not so damn precious that they can't control their own sexuality.  MOST men, the enormously VAST majority of men manage to do that every single day of their lives without the influence of the bizarreness that is the "patriarchal movement."  Insinuating otherwise is an insult to millions of very good men everywhere.

Loved this so much.  :hurray:

Why does prom need a dress code? Really? Here's what would happen if they didn't have a dress code. Certain kids would use that opportunity to wear something  inappropriate by almost any standard. Then, you have parents complain about the lack of clothing. When minors are involved, adults are responsible for the environment. It is wishful and foolish thinking to imagine that  500 teens will all make appropriate decisions regarding their dress and conduct.

Prom or dance organizers are in a no-win situation.  The adults in charge are trying to head off certain issues by placing some standards in place. The standards in place for this dance, finger-tip dress length, is not overly restrictive and a fairly common guideline. 

It was suggested that if she raised her arms and undergarments showed, well, there really shouldn't have to be a rule ahead of time about making sure undergarments remain hidden. This is where we only know one side of the story. Was she a pretty girl with a cute figure that was treated unfairly by a prudish and patriarchal-following chaperone? Or was she a girl whose dress, intentionally or unintentionally, rose to an indiscreet level with her movements, gave lots of attitude when confronted, and possibly exaggerated her conversation with the chaperone. 

It's sad when adults go to great lengths to try and organize a fun event for 500 homeschooled kids, and a mess is created.They're trying to recreate a activity that public schooled kids attend and make it available for homeschoolers. This sad situation has overshadowed a huge effort on the part of parents for their kids to create fun memories. 

Okay, so someone gets a glimpse of underwear. Who cares? That can happen accidentally anywhere. I nurse in public. Much more scandalous than someone seeing a bra strap or a bit of side boob. Maybe they'd get a whole nipple! (Granted, it's a nearing 40, sad, sad nipple, and honestly more frightening than stimulating, but what's a girl to do?) What would be the worst-case inappropriate prom attire scenario? Someone shows up in a bikini? Oh well. That person is the one who looks out of place and ridiculous. I think we would do better to stop acting like the body is some big, scary mystery that's going to turn anyone under 18 into a pillar of salt if they see it. Absent the teens breaking laws, I don't really see the point of kicking anyone out, especially over millimeters of fabric in an arbitrary dress code.

I'm not making any judgements either way. It's a one sided story written by someone who sounds kind of dramatic. I don't think it's fair to automatically call the dads perverts based on her side of the story. A dad can look at a girl his daughter's age and think to himself "no way would I let my daughter out of the house wearing that" without being a pervert. We don't know if she was behaving badly, and I'm not saying based on her story that she deserved to be asked to leave- I think if they worded the dress code too liberally they should live and learn, at the most asking her to tone it down or watch where her dress goes. The fact that she has a Paypal account set up for her thousands of new fans to contribute to "poor Clare's" college fund leaves a bad taste in my mouth- do people really give $ based on one little about story?!

I've been on the receiving end of the holy finger wagging. It's unfair, humiliating and infuriating. I'm a modest Christian woman and do not appreciate being branded because I refuse to dress to your code of legalism.

My first impression of cleavage is the poor woman must not have any intelligence or lives in a trailer. Call it an unfair generalization or whatever, but the first impression is real.

"Unfair" wasn't the first thing that came to my mind.

Wow!

I guess I have to say that I find it just a little bit creepy that there are those that actively stare at people to see if they approve of their clothing choice or not. I find it creepy that there are people in public staring at me to see if I move just right, they can see cleavage and pronounce me trashy. When I'm in public, I'm rather busy with my shopping, my kids, my list, the clock, and genuinely thinking about other things than who might or might not be "trampy" looking. I am saddened that there are those that can't keep their minds on their own business and get their jollies out of demeaning others. I wish people had better things to do with their time when they leave the sanctity of their homes.

My IQ is very high, I have bachelor's degrees in piano performance. philosophy, and music education and live in a 100+ year old renovated former Methodist church with stained glass windows, and own a sleeveless, V-neck evening gown that if I had to bend over in order to retrieve my hankie, might possible produce a little skin if you decided you needed to stare at me and try to see down my front in order to get a glance at it. I guess you need to expand your definition of unintelligent and your perspective of what type of abode in which we unintelligent women reside.

Mostly, I hope you really didn't mean to come across that way because otherwise, I'm very sad for you.

Oh, and I forgot to say that because I am smaller than average busted, the bodice fits better when I wear a push up bra that takes me up a size. Otherwise, it's actually worse because the fabric sags out of shape, and due to the design - actually many dresses and evening gowns are this way - it can't be taken in without twisting.

So, I shall wear my "happy, trampy smart person in an approved home" badge with honor and grace. I have yet to encounter males that can't behave themselves when I'm wearing this gown, and for the ones that think they can't, I have something to say, "Get a grip on yourselves. Get a life. Get a hobby. Get a therapist. This is not my problem!"

I disagree.  Maybe a few would be dressed "immodestly" (my least favorite word) but that is on that girl.  Maybe I'm naĂƒÂ¯ve but I think most girls want their clothing to be a reflection of their personality.  Is an attention seeking girl going to dress in an attention seeking way??  Yes.  And I'm okay with that.  Parents should be the only ones to tell a child what she can/can't wear.  Down with all dress codes!

Okay, so someone gets a glimpse of underwear. Who cares? That can happen accidentally anywhere. I nurse in public. Much more scandalous than someone seeing a bra strap or a bit of side boob. Maybe they'd get a whole nipple! (Granted, it's a nearing 40, sad, sad nipple, and honestly more frightening than stimulating, but what's a girl to do?) What would be the worst-case inappropriate prom attire scenario? Someone shows up in a bikini? Oh well. That person is the one who looks out of place and ridiculous. I think we would do better to stop acting like the body is some big, scary mystery that's going to turn anyone under 18 into a pillar of salt if they see it. Absent the teens breaking laws, I don't really see the point of kicking anyone out, especially over millimeters of fabric in an arbitrary dress code.

I want to like this, but I'm out of likes for the day!  It's not even 10am!  Curses!  I absolutely agree.  The human body is not something scary, and it really shouldn't be mysterious.  WE ALL HAVE ONE!  Other than size and shape, they're all the same!  It's not a big deal.  If men have lustful thoughts, that's on them.  They should be able to control themselves.  

I want to like this, but I'm out of likes for the day!  It's not even 10am!  Curses!  I absolutely agree.  The human body is not something scary, and it really shouldn't be mysterious.  WE ALL HAVE ONE!  Other than size and shape, they're all the same!  It's not a big deal.  If men have lustful thoughts, that's on them.  They should be able to control themselves.  

Whore!!  Slut!!  Do you live in a trailer park???

Why the big concern about "lustful" thoughts??  I've never been a boy but I assume when a boy saw that girl, he thought "Wow, she's hot!" not "Wow, I'm going to tackle her in the back alley!".  Unless your son has a serious porn addiction, how bad could his thoughts be?? 

Besides, I want my sons to be attracted to women--how else will I get grandkids??

OMG

Why did not the girl post a photo from the front? From the side, the dress does look low cut, but hard to tell. I see no harm in telling teens to keep their breasts inside their clothes, the same with butt cheeks and upper thighs. Can we not teach women they are beautiful without having to show breasts and buttocks?

While I see the points of all those here who say letting it all hang out is acceptable and not a deterrent to the male population, there is still at least some of us who feel it is just plain slutty. My first impression of cleavage is the poor woman must not have any intelligence or lives in a trailer. Call it an unfair generalization or whatever, but the first impression is real. Time has not changed it, nor has hearing the endless chatter if nakedness is a woman's prerogative.

My own DD13, and even me at a very advanced maternal age, has a knock out body. So it is not a jealousy issue or a lack of having the body that would look great in skanky clothes. We just feel the way we feel.

My thoughts for this girl, irrespective of her dress, was it was not her party. She has to abide by the rules of someone else whether she agrees with it or not. Next time she needs to organize the prom herself.

where did it say people saw her underwear?

The way the straps are cut--high across the shoulder--it does not seem likely that lifting of the arms would actually lift the dress up. If the dress had sleeves or the straps sat on the edge of the shoulder more I could see arm movement lifting the dress up. Based on my own knowledge of physics and dressmaking (I do have some experience with both), I'm not seeing arm movement lifting the dress.

So did an article actually say underwear was seen? Was it stated that someone thought underwear would be seen in the article? Or did someone on this board come up with that idea.

Showing underwear doesn't matter, except a chaperone could say the dress must be fingertip length at all times, so please refrain from swinging your arms in the air.

Why the big concern about "lustful" thoughts??  I've never been a boy but I assume when a boy saw that girl, he thought "Wow, she's hot!" not "Wow, I'm going to tackle her in the back alley!".  Unless your son has a serious porn addiction, how bad could his thoughts be?? 

Besides, I want my sons to be attracted to women--how else will I get grandkids??

It's also silly to think that a person's clothing affects whether or not another teenager is going to think about sex. They're going to think about sex! They're teenagers with raging hormones! Baggy sweatshirts and hideous, pleated jeans were popular when I was in high school, and everyone still thought about sex. 

My first thought when the talk of getting a glimpse started was, "At least now we know that she is wearing underwear". Even if the worst case scenario happened, so what? It's not the end of the republic. This is what happens when you deal with large groups of people, especially young people. Having seen the photo of her dress, yes, I imagine it could ride up. Congratulations, she gets to join the myriad of young women who spend their evenings pulling and adjusting their dresses to avoid a wardrobe malfunction. It looks uncomfortable and a little silly but I'm sure she and everyone else involved will survive the experience.

How does it feel to be so sure you are better than people who have a lower income than yours, or to judge their morality based on the type of house they live in? What is it like to see yourself as more intelligent because of how you dress? Finally, my real question -- how does a person get to be your age and still think it's acceptable to talk about others this way? If you are that bigoted keep it to yourself when you are around decent people.

How does it feel to be so sure you are better than people who have a lower income than yours, or to judge their morality based on the type of house they live in? What is it like to see yourself as more intelligent because of how you dress? Finally, my real question -- how does a person get to be your age and still think it's acceptable to talk about others this way? If you are that bigoted keep it to yourself when you are around decent people.

Well said.

So did an article actually say underwear was seen? Was it stated that someone thought underwear would be seen in the article? Or did someone on this board come up with that idea.

Showing underwear doesn't matter, except a chaperone could say the dress must be fingertip length at all times, so please refrain from swinging your arms in the air.

The chaperone did say that.  She told the girl it was OK, but that she needed to make sure the dress stayed down.   And that's pretty much the reason behind the fingertip rule--Once a girl raises her arms up (when dancing for example), there goes the hem line.  lol

However, a reminder:  This isn't an article.  There is nothing even remotely journalistic about this.  It's a blog entry from a 17 year old.

But I've never known a 17 year old, who thinks she got shafted, to write anything less than the absolute fair-minded truth.   ;)

(snipped)  except a chaperone could say the dress must be fingertip length at all times, so please refrain from swinging your arms in the air.

OK, the cranky rebel in me almost wishes the girl DID swing her arms up over her head, taking the dress with it, and asking "How's THIS for fingertip length?" Not for the ogling joy of the males, but to make a point about the rule. Isn't "finger-tip length" wherever your finger-tips are? :glare:

Whore!!  Slut!!  Do you live in a trailer park???

I don't live in a trailer park, but perhaps I should move.  I don't mean to whore myself out like that, but I just can't help myself!  I hope that doesn't inspire lustful thoughts!

This!  She could have been wearing a burka, and a teenage boy would still likely think about what's under the burka.

She doesn't have to live in a trailer park to show cleavage.

She could simply be unintelligent. :lol:

Again, I don't live in a trailer park, so I guess I must just be dumb.  I do have fabulous breasts though.  36D!  They're real and they're fabulous!  Maybe I should show them off more.

This x1000.  

This needed to be repeated again.

I'd "like" this a million times if I could.

My first impression of cleavage is the poor woman must not have any intelligence or lives in a trailer. Call it an unfair generalization or whatever, but the first impression is real. Time has not changed it, nor has hearing the endless chatter if nakedness is a woman's prerogative.

All right, I will. That's a wildly unfair generalization "or whatever". Actually it goes beyond unfair. And it says more about the person making the judgement than it does about the person being judged.

It's about time we have some sort of feature on the board where you can like something with scientific notation or exponents!! :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

All right, I will. That's a wildly unfair generalization "or whatever". Actually it goes beyond unfair. And it says more about the person making the judgement than it does about the person being judged.

I will be the first, "I like this post x 10 to the power of 100". Now, if I only knew how to make my keyboard produce this is in mathematical form.....

I don't live in a trailer park, but perhaps I should move.  I don't mean to whore myself out like that, but I just can't help myself!  I hope that doesn't inspire lustful thoughts!

This!  She could have been wearing a burka, and a teenage boy would still likely think about what's under the burka.

Again, I don't live in a trailer park, so I guess I must just be dumb.  I do have fabulous breasts though.  36D!  They're real and they're fabulous!  Maybe I should show them off more.

This x1000.  

Pictures?

Joking!  

Kind of.