Menu

Homeschool teen kicked out of local prom because the male chaperones found her too sexy

Like I said, the first few replies were relevant and made a point.

But after the 47th comment, it's just a gaggle of women being b*tĂ‚Â¢hy.

I've never had a whole lot of use for women in packs, though, so that might just be my perception. lol

You think packs of men are better? Have you *seen* reddit?

Edited because autocorrect

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a whole lot of use for women in packs, though, so that might just be my perception. lol

Really? You seem like you have a definite feel for it. Pass the spoon please.

Oh man.  Must.  Not.  Google.   (We'll see if I listen to myself.)

None of us got the tank top. Somehow we dropped the ball on that one! But then, I never got my witch starter kit from Audrey years ago during the Ken Ham kerfuffle and I was looking forward to my goat.

That's just how it goes sometimes! :D

Good grief, I'm missing a lot of Hive goodies!!!  :willy_nilly:  

Faith, between your description of that school, and the people you know who leave their kids letters for their wedding night ( :cursing: ).... my head is about to explode.  Then I'll be right there with SadieMarie, trying to teach with no head and whatnot...  :crying:

I'm starting to read more and more about how men should avoid college because women will accuse them of things and they won't get a fair hearing. I'm so sick of it all.

This seems like very odd advice.

Certainly men are sometimes accused, by women, of "things" - sometimes things they have done and sometimes things they have not done. And the justice system is far from perfect, for men or for women.

But is it common in your social circles for this to happen, or is it a few stories in the news that have been widely publicized but that are hardly typical? Do these things happen often in everyday life, or is it because they are fairly unusual that they make the news?

And what is the college connection? There has been some discussion lately in the news about how colleges handle reports of assault, as well as how the military handles them, and whether they accurately report the corresponding statistics.

But I haven't seen anything arguing that the rates of innocent college men being falsely accused of "things" are so high that young men should actually avoid college enrollment.

Wise choices in obtaining a college education can seriously enhance a young man's ability to provide for his family over his lifetime. Choosing not to attend college should be done thoughtfully, not from possibly ill-informed or overblown fear. Not every college campus is a hotbed of partying leading to he said/she said morning after scenarios, and even at those that are it is possible to attend classes without the accompanying extra-curricular mayhem.

I hope, EowynR, if you are reading opinions that "men should avoid college because women will accuse them of things and they won't get a fair hearing", you will do so with a critical eye. If you have not experienced college yourself, you may wish to talk to some of the responsible young people you know who have, to see if their experience is on par with the atmosphere the things you've read have described. While everyone should take reasonable precautions to minimize risks of many kinds, in some cases avoiding one kind of risk leaves you vulnerable to another. In this case, the difference between the risk of being the victim of false allegations as a college man, compared to the risk of being the victim of false allegations as a man who is not attending college, is insignificant, and there are also risks in deciding to avoid obtaining a college degree. There are many good paths that do not involve college, of course, but fear of false accusations is not a good reason to choose that direction.

The tables were rectangular banquet tables on each side of the room, so they were a long way apart. They didn't want them to sit together because there were table cloths that hung low and someone might play footsie.

As for why not gender segregated, because this school has a HUGE long love affair with patriarchy but has trouble keeping students past about 5th grade because when the kids reach puberty, the rules are so draconian that many parents just see it for what it is, get frustrated, and pull their kids back to the public school. Events like these are actually designed to give a veneer of "we aren't that strict" to outsiders and a bone to throw to the kids whose parents make them stay.

Here is the norm (I have a friend who teaches there....long story and she's not happy and looking for other work):

The kids come in at kindergarten, first, or second grade and they are cute and innocent looking and what not. The administration goes easy on them, and the parents think, "Oh what a cozy school." About 5th grade when some of the girls begin developing or some boy's voice starts to crack, or whatever, they get ugly...really, verbally ugly and the rules are crazy. Some of the parents keep their kids there because when they take them to the PS for placement, they find out that the curriculum is really bad and most of the kids receive no direct teaching so they are WAY behind and that's saying a lot because our PS is pathetic. They leave them and as she puts it, "Their self esteem dies inch by inch." Others decide it doesn't matter if their kid graduates on time, or demand an IEP, or hire tutors for the next couple of years, or homeschool, anything to get their kid out of the school. Eventually she says that the remaining kids figure out that the only way to get any favor from the administrators is to spy on one another and constantly turn each other in for every single little infraction or perceived infraction. She said her classroom of 8th and 9th graders, though she is very kind to them and does not enforce the many, many pages of crazy rules, are horrible to each other in hopes of staying at the top of the heap.

Every year, in order to make it look like they care about the students, they have a few events but they are just bizarre. I mean the invites, if you can get your hands on them, have such a huge laundry list of dos and don'ts that you'd think the kids had joined the military.

One of my favorites :glare: concerning the extreme preference for males is that anything that needs to be signed by a parent for school must be signed by the father after the student reaches a certain age. If the mother is single parenting, he must ask her father or uncle or brother or whatever to sign, despite that fact that these people have no legal rights concerning the child so it's moot anyway. This rule commences when the child is 12 years old because "it's up to the male head of household to enforce purity guidelines and at this age it is important that the child understand that they must look only to males for guidance in life". Many a married couple and single parenting mother have pulled out of the school when that humdinger was laid on them. There is a handbook for K-5, and a different one for 6-12. If you enroll your child in one of the younger grades, you aren't told about the other handbook. It's designed to be this way to try to hook the family into the idea of the school, but not really let them know what they are getting themselves in for so hopefully you have time to convince them that this lifestyle is for them before their child ages into the gender rules.

:svengo:

I am out of likes again!  How does this keep happening to me????

I definitely have. This is directly due to what some people wear to formal balls. If you don't attend a lot of balls with young soldiers and their dates, then I am sure it hasn't been a big issue in your life, lol! At a ball I attended a couple of years ago, there was a wife excited to show me her tattoo...on her upper thigh...which you could see because she cut a long, u-shaped, jagged, rough, unhemmed slit of sorts in her floor-length dress to show off her new upper thigh tattoo.

Many years ago I attended a ball where a African American woman chose not to wear any undergarments under her white, unlined dress. Her BOSS had to pull her aside and talk to her about it and she had to wear her coat the rest of the evening. That is how dress codes get written.

Oh, the things I've seen at military balls!  There are times when I think "MY EYES!  MY EYES!"  We had a spouse in a very short dress with no underwear on.  We all saw that she went for the Brazilian.  Her husband was pulled aside by the commander and they left shortly thereafter.

Clearly none of you have been to an RAF ball where the flight lieutenant was a true Scotsman ;)

Formal events where you could see the boys *junk* and we girls had or cover our shoulders.

WHY HAVE I NEVER BEEN TO A RAF BALL???  I must!!!

I cuss like a sailor. Those that know me personally and professionally are aware of this yet they still take me very, very seriously. in fact, when I drop F-bombs it usually means "this is serious business and everyone best pay attention." Why? Because an attitude with a mouth to match can be a good thing, especially when standing up to injustice. Language is a powerful tool to rock boats and affect change.

Me too, though I *try* to tone it down around the boys and if we're in public.  My dad was a sailor though, so maybe that's where I learned it?  Actually, my mom has a filthy mouth.  I never realized how much she swore until I had to stop calling her in my car where the boys could hear her.  Yikes.

Honor her by not worrying her pretty little head about Man Things.

Oh, Man Things!  My little brain cannot comprehend!!!

The first time I've ever been accused of not considering the boner....

But you know I grew up in a trailer so I'm a huge mega sl ut. Basically goes without saying.

I am shocked and delighted this thread hasnt been locked heretofore.

We always knew you were a slut.  That's okay, there's a bunch of us.  I am also rather shocked that the thread hasn't been locked.  I've never had one of my threads locked, and I kind of want to know how it feels.

So, then what are you doing hanging out with a pack of thousands of women on this board?

I'm out of likes, so ^^^LIKE!

LIKE from me too!  I thought the same thing.

It is entirely unfair that I have no more likes left. I believe I should be an extra special snowflake who deserves a double helping of likes. :biggrinjester:

Yes, yes you should.  Me too.

Awesome Sadimarie! Awesome!

I'd "like" it but I'm on the Friday night street corner naughty girl list until whenever my ban on more likes expires.

Hahaha!  I'll be on the next corner.  

Really? You seem like you have a definite feel for it. Pass the spoon please.

Hahahahaha!!!!!  ^^^LIKE.

Man I love this board.

You know, if somebody had asked me this morning, "Of all the things you'll read today, which one will use the word "boner" so many times it loses all meaning?" I would not have opted for the WTM forums.

You guys make me so proud. *sniffle*  <NOT sarcasm, by the way>

So sorry, I didn't see that before I replied :(

I think we were posting at the same time. 

I think I've been posting here all day....  this topic really gets to me- I am so sad for the time I spent teaching my girls that they had to cover up- I was never really even into the whole 'patriarchy' thing, but many of the ladies I learned from were...

dang it, all I wanted to do was learn how to homeschool.  And I ended up learning how to shame my girls.

And I never really did learn how to homeschool. :crying:  But I never let that stop me.

Eh.  The first few replies had good points.  

But once you're the 6th or 14th in line, it's just a bunch of hens gathered around to peck at the one with the bad eye.   :rolleyes:

I don't think that is necessarily true. I think that the more people that call someone on an inappropriate comment the more likely it is that the person making the comment will realize that it was indeed inappropriate. 

I read the first page of these comments and assumed she got kicked out because of her dress, but when I read the article it didn't say that. It said she got stopped on her way in because it looked shorter than the guideline By a woman not a man. It seemed she was later kicked out for inappropriately dancing. I'm not any of it is true, but didn't it say that or am I missing something?

If that was the case, doesn't there need to be some rules for what is appropriate? Not saying she did anything wrong. Again, I have no clue, I wasn't there. However, I'm not sure I am in the camp that anything goes either.

There's always people that overreact, but there's also two sides to a story.

Edit to note: I've only had time to read one page of comments, so I'm not sure where the tide has gone on this thread. I just wanted to comment after going to actually read the article linked.

THIS IS ENTIRELY UNFAIR! I woke up this morning expecting to no longer be the call girl of likes and returned to my good girl status so I could like some more, and DANG....I STILL HAVE NO LIKES!

This is an outrage. So many posts to like, no likes to like them with so exactly what is a girl supposed to do? :lol:

I've never had a whole lot of use for women in packs, though, so that might just be my perception.  lol

If someone is reading the thread and responding - there's really not a way to know what's written later on in the thread. Speaking for myself, I don't read entire threads and then backtrack to respond to something - short attention span maybe.

Right now I have absolutely no idea what is written after your post - perhaps 22 people have made a relevant comment - or maybe no one has - I'm going to take my chances and let it be a surprise.

ETA: I see I'm like the 6th or 7th person to respond to this. I will now spend the rest of my day believing I'm a (confused) hen in either a gaggle or a pack.

THIS IS ENTIRELY UNFAIR! I woke up this morning expecting to no longer be the call girl of likes and returned to my good girl status so I could like some more, and DANG....I STILL HAVE NO LIKES!

This is an outrage. So many posts to like, no likes to like them with so exactly what is a girl supposed to do? :lol:

Thank goodness for multi quote. :D

And if you've never whored before, be prepared for the '24hour rule'. If you first liked at 7 am but didn't finish your slutting around until 7 pm, you are not fully replenished until 7 pm. If you don't whore 'em all out before then. :D

Sometimes it's good to take a day off from the Hive. Or be frustrated all day when your like-ability is dangled in front of your nose. Taunting you. :P

Oh crud. I think I finished my trashy ways at around 11:00 p.m. last night. Does that mean I don't get any back until bed time tonight?

This is going to be a long, long day. Like the little kid kept in at every recess for angering the teacher.

ARGH! :svengo:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:

No you'll get them back one or two at a time, starting 24 hours after your first started flirtin' it up! You'll get 'em back in the same order you dished 'em out!

They will taunt you. Just when you can like a thread or two, three will give you a giant neener-neener! :)

Sadie Marie was definitely FOR SURE being sarcastic for humorous effect. I promise!!!!

I was :lol:  :lol:  after reading Sadie's post, especially after the crowning image of polling the boners (my mind went places like imagining the 5 o'clock news crew shoving microphones at crotches asking them their opinion of events...) so I was really puzzled by all the outraged responses to it - as much as I agree wholeheartedly with their sentiment x1000, just not aimed at Sadie's post, which was expressing the same thing but using sarcasm ( one of my favorite uses of outrage... ;) )

I was :lol: :lol: after reading Sadie's post, especially after the crowning image of polling the boners (my mind went places like imagining the 5 o'clock news crew shoving microphones at crotches asking them their opinion of events...) so I was really puzzled by all the outraged responses to it - as much as I agree wholeheartedly with their sentiment x1000, just not aimed at Sadie's post, which was expressing the same thing but using sarcasm ( one of my favorite uses of outrage... ;) )

This. I did literally LOL when I read the post. I was confused at the negative reaction to it. I did agree with MOST of the sentiment in the subsequent posts, just not the part where they were mad at SadieMarie for her comment.

This. I did literally LOL when I read the post. I was confused at the negative reaction to it. I did agree with MOST of the sentiment in the subsequent posts, just not the part where they were mad at SadieMarie for her comment.

Maybe I'm more attuned to lowbrow humor 'cause my bOOks are so big that even in this Gap t-shirt I've got on, I can't avoid having plenty of *gasp* cleavage, so my IQ must be very low as my gray matter has been sucked from my brain to my chest, and I should probably just give up and go buy a trailer now...

Maybe I'm more attuned to lowbrow humor 'cause my bOOks are so big that even in this Gap t-shirt I've got on, I can't avoid having plenty of *gasp* cleavage, so my IQ must be very low as my gray matter has been sucked from my brain to my chest, and I should probably just give up and go buy a trailer now...

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

We were discussing this story yesterday at my homeschool community center, in bewilderment. The center doesn't even have a dress code. In five years, the only "inappropriate dress" incident they've ever had to deal with is a teen wearing a rubber bracelet that said "F--- you." (They asked her to take it off or turn it inside out, and she did. End of problem.) We have a number of Orthodox Jewish families, a number of Christian families, a bunch of secular folks, and at least one mom and teenage daughter who wear the chador, and policing the kids' clothes is left up to their families. There are no clothing-related discipline or focus issues in classes or at events. The boys don't seem to have turned into ravening beasts. Neither do the homeschool dads. I can't even begin to express how much modesty is a non-issue in this community.

I have to say that, from my outsider's perspective, some of these conservative Christian communities just seem mindbogglingly obsessed with sex. It's really baffling to me. I live in a world full of boy-girl and man-woman friendships, dressing for comfort and personal expression, rampant exposure of not-legally-forbidden body parts, comprehensive sex ed, out gay folks, and a general lack of interest in concepts of "modesty." And it's just... not a big deal. At all.

It just doesn't turn out to be true that boys can't respect and appreciate the mind of a girl who is wearing shorts. It just doesn't turn out to be true that male-female friendships inevitably lead to inappropriate sexual behavior. If you think about sexuality as a normal part of the human experience, rather than something to constantly police and obsess about, then sexuality is just that: a normal, not overwhelming, not dangerous or destructive part of human experience.

Well we made tank tops for the "Happy Trampy Mommy Club", so maybe we could get megaphones for speaking to boners that are particularly .........hard of hearing?

I want shorts with "Happy Trampy Mommy Club" in butt writing.

... it's just a gaggle of women being b*tĂ‚Â¢hy.

You say that as if it's a bad thing...

We were discussing this story yesterday at my homeschool community center, in bewilderment. The center doesn't even have a dress code. In five years, the only "inappropriate dress" incident they've ever had to deal with is a teen wearing a rubber bracelet that said "F--- you." (They asked her to take it off or turn it inside out, and she did. End of problem.) We have a number of Orthodox Jewish families, a number of Christian families, a bunch of secular folks, and at least one mom and teenage daughter who wear the chador, and policing the kids' clothes is left up to their families. There are no clothing-related discipline or focus issues in classes or at events. The boys don't seem to have turned into ravening beasts. Neither do the homeschool dads. I can't even begin to express how much modesty is a non-issue in this community.

I have to say that, from my outsider's perspective, some of these conservative Christian communities just seem mindbogglingly obsessed with sex. It's really baffling to me. I live in a world full of boy-girl and man-woman friendships, dressing for comfort and personal expression, rampant exposure of not-legally-forbidden body parts, comprehensive sex ed, out gay folks, and a general lack of interest in concepts of "modesty." And it's just... not a big deal. At all.

It just doesn't turn out to be true that boys can't respect and appreciate the mind of a girl who is wearing shorts. It just doesn't turn out to be true that male-female friendships inevitably lead to inappropriate sexual behavior. If you think about sexuality as a normal part of the human experience, rather than something to constantly police and obsess about, then sexuality is just that: a normal, not overwhelming, not dangerous or destructive part of human experience.

Rivka, you hit the nail on the head! The obsession with sex elevates it to a level of supremacy at any event for people who subscribe to this worldview. Like you, I have chosen not to be a part of that mindset and the people I generally encounter are healthy in their attitudes towards sex and we don't have issues.

But, there are many ultra conservative homeschool groups and churches in the area and it's really sad how they make sex the over riding, obsessive issue for every, single, event. They force the focus on it and make it a big, huge hairy deal when the kids wouldn't even be having a problem if it weren't for the freaky adults around them that see problems where none exist.

But, it's a small community so despite not running with that crowd, I can't help but end up once in a while dealing with them since we are 4-H leaders. Yikes! 95 degrees outside at the county fair and their daughters are working with big, huge steers in ankle length denim skirts and long sleeve shirts while the mothers complain that of course their daughters have to dress like that in the heat or the boys will be leering and then running off to masturbate in a dark corner. The program director and I just want to throttle them. Of course, the boys are busy hosing off their beasts, mucking out - one of the least sexy things you can do as a teen - feeding them, keeping track of their market books, and practicing showmanship with the animal in hopes of making grand champion or reserve. Ever wrestle with your very large meat turkey? You aren't scoping out the chicks in that moment. I mean it is seriously mental. We've had to kick a few of these families out of 4-H because they are so offensive to the other girls.

Ahh. That's gotta be it. My 36DDs. Thank you for explaining!! All those intelligent people had their minds up outta the gutter.

Mystery solved.

I finally have books, now that menopause is turning me from a pear to an apple. It is bittersweet though because, even though I do enjoy standing in front of the mirror and admiring them in my push-up book shelf, I would have had so much more fun with them thirty years ago. But back then I had make do with magazines.

Clearly you all are not spending enough time thinking about hell. (Sarcasm ;))

But, it's a small community so despite not running with that crowd, I can't help but end up once in a while dealing with them since we are 4-H leaders. Yikes! 95 degrees outside at the county fair and their daughters are working with big, huge steers in ankle length denim skirts and long sleeve shirts while the mothers complain that of course their daughters have to dress like that in the heat or the boys will be leering and then running off to masturbate in a dark corner. The program director and I just want to throttle them. Of course, the boys are busy hosing off their beasts, mucking out - one of the least sexy things you can do as a teen - feeding them, keeping track of their market books, and practicing showmanship with the animal in hopes of making grand champion or reserve. Ever wrestle with your very large meat turkey? You aren't scoping out the chicks in that moment. I mean it is seriously mental. We've had to kick a few of these families out of 4-H because they are so offensive to the other girls.

:huh:

I  .  . .  am TRYING to control . . .  myself.

Wrestling your very large meat turkey  

:lol:  :w00t:  :smilielol5:  :rofl:  :willy_nilly: 

My new favorite self-love euphanism ever!!

I have to say that, from my outsider's perspective, some of these conservative Christian communities just seem mindbogglingly obsessed with sex. It's really baffling to me. 

Bingo - from an insider's perspective. I have had to "talk down" a few women who were utterly shocked when their teens began to exhibit developmentally appropriate interest in sex. In one case, I specifically remember when I spoke at length to one woman who simply could not understand that her son was a sexual being - that this was (from my perspective) something that God created him with, and that it is a good thing to see developmentally appropriate milestones. 

It's really kind of scary. 

But, there are many ultra conservative homeschool groups and churches in the area and it's really sad how they make sex the over riding, obsessive issue for every, single, event. They force the focus on it and make it a big, huge hairy deal when the kids wouldn't even be having a problem if it weren't for the freaky adults around them that see problems where none exist.

I liked this, but it isn't enough! I have seen mom's of young men absolutely obsessed with how girls are dressing. The scary thing is that some of them also have daughters. To me, that means they are okay with teaching their daughters that if someone sexually assaults them, it's really their fault because they didn't dress and/or act appropriately. I refuse, as the mother of a young man, to allow him to believe anything other than the fact that he is responsible for managing his emotions and actions. 

I . . . am TRYING to control . . . myself.

:lol: :w00t: :smilielol5: :rofl: :willy_nilly:

Do you wrestle a turkey by grabbing it by the neck?

I  .  . .  am TRYING to control . . .  myself.

:lol:  :w00t:  :smilielol5:  :rofl:  :willy_nilly: 

Yeah, that was a DEFINITE 'That's what SHE said' moment.

I am so sad for the time I spent teaching my girls that they had to cover up- I was never really even into the whole 'patriarchy' thing, but many of the ladies I learned from were...

:grouphug: I believe that there is a way to teach girls a healthy amount of modesty, free of any shame or blame. (I'm not saying I've discovered the secret, but that I believe it's possible.) Don't heap guilt upon yourself, because if you were teaching them modesty without all of the underlying patriarchy stuff, I doubt that you did them any harm. And I don't know how old they are (forgot to check your sig before I hit reply), but you most likely still have plenty of chances ahead of you to make a positive impact.

I believe that there is a healthy balance, that we can teach our daughters to dress in ways that are functional when they need to be and feminine when they want to be, without feeling pressured to let it all hang out and dress in an overtly sexual way. Now if someone could just teach me HOW to do that I'd be grateful! :) I've got it very easy with my 14yo dd. Her everyday wear is very tomboy (cargo shorts and graphic tees with images of her favorite video game characters - we shop in the boys department most of the time!) and when she does dress up she is drawn to very simple and classic looks (she adores Audrey Hepburn and wishes that she could dress in 1950's styles). So I'm certainly not saying I know how to guide a girl in the right direction - my girl has always just naturally gone in a direction that was entirely acceptable to me. If we butt heads sometime down the road, well I will need all the help and wisdom I can get.

I'm going to be out of likes and I'm on my first cup of coffee.  :lol:  :coolgleamA:

I did get my goat from the previous group mailing. I did not get my tank top, perhaps we should got with a sequined tank top with a built in push up bra for this mailing. For those with dirty mouths, there is a naughty version with F*ck this stitched on the inside of the bra - so as to not offend the sensibilities of all, but will make you smile each time you wear it.  :w00t:

I liked this, but it isn't enough! I have seen mom's of young men absolutely obsessed with how girls are dressing. The scary thing is that some of them also have daughters. To me, that means they are okay with teaching their daughters that if someone sexually assaults them, it's really their fault because they didn't dress and/or act appropriately.

Maybe what you describe is some of what was happening here

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/13/jackson-family-abuse_n_5317197.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular