Menu

If you could use any grammar and writing curriculum for elementary....

avazquez24

If you could use any writing and grammar curriculum for elementary age what would it be? DS will be 2nd and DD 3rd, but I would love to use a consistent curriculum with them (at least for a few years). 

I know there are many others who have been doing this much longer than I have, or experimented more, so if you were to do it all over, what would you choose to use for writing and grammar?  Any info on what helped you come to that decision would be great too! Feel free to mention any programs that didn't work for you as well;)

Writing: Writing with Ease 1 & 2, maybe 3, followed by CAP Writing & Rhetoric

Grammar: Galore Park (So You Really Want to Learn) English/Junior English or FLL 3 & 4

I like how WWE teaches narration and dictation, and W&R expands upon that foundation. I feel like DD is becoming a much more solid writer using these programs than she was with a bunch of the other stuff we've tried along the way. I like the way GP handles pretty much every aspect of LA, except it has no writing instruction, it's thorough and interesting. I could not stand the first 2 levels of FLL, and I felt that teaching grammar at that age was much less important than learning to read fluently, anyway. The third and fourth grade books are not nearly as annoying to me. We've tried more programs than I care to admit, both for writing and grammar. These are the ones I feel that are the most solid and best at teaching my child the skills she needs. 

Just listening in... I've bought our grammar and writing for next year already, but I don't know how solid I am on it.
(FWIW, we have R&S grammar and Essentials in Writing lined up... But I wonder if we need R&S at all. I'll be combining a 1st and 3rd grader.)

ETA:  I've already made a change.  For one, I'm not going to combine the two, though I think they could since their reading skills are pretty on par.  However, we'll keep EIW but I'm going to use a McGraw-Hill freebie to tack on to it as needed for the meanwhile.  

Michael Clay Thompson, starting with the Island level. I'm consistently impressed by how much learning he packs into each relatively slim, surprisingly entertaining volume. It won't take half of your homeschool day and your child will look forward to seeing what comes next in the story. The volumes in each level tie together nicely and Caesar's English is awesome if you're also doing Spanish or Latin (or both). Really, the only downside is cost, but if you just buy the teacher's books it's about $100/year and they're not consumable.

For grammar, Rod and Staff English has been excellent and i wouldn't trade it for anything. I have used it 2nd-5th. Doing CC English grammar memory work has been an asset and a perfect compliment to R&S.

For writing, IEW has given us the best foundation, specifically with the SWI and SICC DVD programs (rather than the theme books).

Alternating weeks with IEW , I have been looking for the perfect program to teach basic paragraph writing and other standard composition assignments such as the friendly letter. I have used WWW3 for this purpose but don't like it. I have started Wariner's Composition: Models and Exercises, First Course, which I like much better for paragraph writing. I have also used R&S English composition exercises occasionally which are decent. Maxwell's School Composition from 1902 is fantastic for 5th-6th-ish grades for narrative and descriptive compositions. So I don't know what the perfect lineup is, but I am working on it.

I would use Rod & Staff or Abeka and Writing Strands with IEW, Writer's Inc/Source, and/or Write with the Best - still.  We have tried others and seen quite a few.  It gets the job done and well.  They are my favorites and going on their third use in our home.  I use them all at one point or another, LOL.

I love Voyages in English for grades one and two. I am still looking for that grammar that clicks. The only one that has worked for us, so far is BJU English. I'm not crazy about it, but it has a lot of positives. It is a workbook that you can write in, it is pretty and colorful, and it includes writing sections as well as grammar. It gets done, unlike many we have tried before.

This sequence is working for us:

Grade 1: WWE1 and FLL1

Grade 2: WWE2 and Brave Writer, FLL2

Grade 3: CAP W&R and Brave Writer and FLL 3

Grade 4: CAP W&R and Brave Writer and FLL 4

Grade 5: (my plan is to continue writng as is but switch to either R&S or Hake for grammar)

My dd seems to need a LOT of repetition, practice, and "over learning"...basically she has an amazing mid term memory, but needs TONS Of practice for things to sink into long term memory. She is also an auditory leaner.  Therefore, I recommend Writing with Ease and First Language Lessons.  We will finish up with Level 4 next year of FLL and then cry.  LOL

My son doesn't seem to need as much PRACTICE but he needs more review.  He is also a visual learner and therefore FLL was a bust for him.  He loves Abeka Grammar and has done several years of it with great success.  We skipped the Writing portions.  So I recommend if you have a visual learner to use Abeka Grammar alongside WWE or CAP Writing and Rhetoric.  

Primarily Kinesthetic learners will do better with FLL as long as you do a lot of writing, and some moving because talking in and of itself is sort of Kinesthetic. You can add hand motions to some of the chants.  Once you begin diagramming, that hands on nature of that will work for them.  So for Kinesthetic I recommend FLL, and either WWE or CAP Writing and Rhetoric depending on how much practice and review your child needs.  WWE has more practice and review, and builds very very gradually.  (Sometimes painstakingly) However, that confidence and step by step nature of the program is excellent to learn to get thoughts on paper.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd choose the same: Spell to Write and Read & Cursive First, First Language Lessons 1-4, Rod and Staff English, Poetry Primer, Song School Latin, Latin for Children, Writing With Ease 1-4, and Writing & Rhetoric. Here's how they have played out for us thus far.

Pre-K: SWR & CF, Readywriter

Kinder: SWR & CF, FLL 1, WWE 1 (1st half during second semester)

Grade 1: SWR & CF, FLL 2 (and SE1 dabblings), WWE 1 (2nd half), WWE 2 (1st half)

Grade 2: SWR, FLL 3 (and MCT dabblings), WWE 2 (2nd half), WWE 3 (1st half), SSL 1

Grade 3: SWR, FLL 4 (and MCT dabblings), WWE 3 (2nd half), WWE 4 (1st half), LfC A

Grade 4: SWR, R&S 6, Poetry Primer, W&R 1&2 (1st semester), WWE 4 (2nd half in 2nd semester), LfC B

Grade 5 (next year): SWR, R&S 7, W&R 3 & 4 (1st semester), begin WWS 1 (2nd semester), LfC C

I included our spelling, poetry, and Latin programs because they are fundamental parts of our grammar and writing, and I just couldn't get myself to exclude them from the list.  :D   

I liked Voyages in English in first grade. I was kind of meh over FLL/WWE in first, but I can see where I probably just needed to stick it out. I definitely prefer using the workbook for WWE over trying to come up with my own following the hardcover. With my 3rd grader this year WWE2/FLL3 has been a smashing success.

I'll be the dissenter on BraveWriter. Not impressed and so totally not worth the drama in trying to get my kid to do just about anything suggested in Arrow or PW. WWE2 has done more to get my kid unstuck as a writer than all the BraveWriter ideas combined. I really am impressed with the change ds has made from the beginning of the year to now just with WWE and narration across the curriculum.

So, for me, first through fourth grade it's FLL/WWE, but I have no idea what we're going to do for 5th and above for grammar as R&S won't fly here. I'd probably continue with SWB's writing programs starting in 6th.

I'm currently working through Hake 7 and Writing Strands 4 for my own self-education. If it works okay, I'm going to try the lower levels with tutoring students. So far so good, but it's still early.

I placed myself the best I could. I think I chose okay. No level would have been perfect as I have a lot of gaps but also strengths, so there would be pros and cons for any level. And it's hard to jump into upper levels of any curriculum.

I'm also redoing Saxon Algebra 1, that I did with my little guy back in the mid 1990s.

The one thing I'm realizing that if I go with this for the 3Rs, then I'm going to need to do the content subjects lite, because this is all the textbook drill a student can handle in a day.

We started grammar in 2nd and have done PLL 2-3 and now ILL 4-6. DS10 has also read Grammarland and completed the worksheets. I'm also having him read Voyages in English (the grammar section) for review once a week.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd choose the same: Spell to Write and Read & Cursive First, First Language Lessons 1-4, Rod and Staff English, Poetry Primer, Song School Latin, Latin for Children, Writing With Ease 1-4, and Writing & Rhetoric. Here's how they have played out for us thus far.

Pre-K: SWR & CF, Readywriter

Kinder: SWR & CF, FLL 1, WWE 1 (1st half during second semester)

Grade 1: SWR & CF, FLL 2 (and SE1 dabblings), WWE 1 (2nd half), WWE 2 (1st half)

Grade 2: SWR, FLL 3 (and MCT dabblings), WWE 2 (2nd half), WWE 3 (1st half), SSL 1

Grade 3: SWR, FLL 4 (and MCT dabblings), WWE 3 (2nd half), WWE 4 (1st half), LfC A

Grade 4: SWR, R&S 6, Poetry Primer, W&R 1&2 (1st semester), WWE 4 (2nd half in 2nd semester), LfC B

Grade 5 (next year): SWR, R&S 7, W&R 3 & 4 (1st semester), begin WWS 1 (2nd semester), LfC C

I included our spelling, poetry, and Latin programs because they are fundamental parts of our grammar and writing, and I just couldn't get myself to exclude them from the list. :D

How long does that take you? It looks a huge amount butWWE and FLL.at least the first 2 lessons are pretty short.o

How long does that take you? It looks a huge amount butWWE and FLL.at least the first 2 lessons are pretty short.o

Our language arts routine is fine-tuned. I'd respond with more details, but I'm unsure of exactly what you want to know. How long does what take us?

Nothing....I would wait and start Hake in 4th and maybe MCT for fun at the same time.

Heavy grammar is not really needed at young ages. Yes, they can memorize and parrot back. But there isn't any real understanding/grasping happening.

I would spend those first 3 yrs getting handwriting, phonics, spelling, and copywork down.

The only one that has worked for us, so far is BJU English.  It is a workbook that you can write in, it is pretty and colorful, and it includes writing sections as well as grammar. It gets done, unlike many we have tried before.

We use BJU & Bravewriter and I am very happy with the combo.  I like how BJU lays it all out and gives samples and answers right in the TG.  I also really like their writing sections.  We do them partnership-writing style and the kids really enjoy them.  I also like the built in review and the extra practice pages.  The color is also a big deal for us.  It is visually appealing and "fun".  I am not a fan of black and white.  I find it bogs me down and my kids seems to be the same way.    

Our language arts routine is fine-tuned. I'd respond with more details, but I'm unsure of exactly what you want to know. How long does what take us?

Never mind. It looked like a huge list but you are mostly only doing one writing and one grammar at a time.

Thanks for sharing.

Here's my projected plan: (my oldest is going into first):

Pre-K - K:

Phonics, Reading, Spelling & Handwriting: LOE Foundations A-C

1st:

Phonics, Reading, Spelling, Grammar (May or May not skip): LOE Foundations D-E

Copywork, Narration, Grammar, Literature: English Lessons Through Literature Level 1 (formerly LLTL)

Literature: TOG Yr 1

2nd:

Phonics, Reading, Spelling, Grammar: LOE Foundations E-F

Copywork, Narration, Dictation, Grammar, Literature: ELTL Level 2

Literature: TOG yr 2

3rd through 8th

Spelling: WRTR Spelling Journal (will do as necessary)

Grammar, Poetry, Vocabulary: MCT Island - MCT 6

Writing: CAP W&R 1-12

Literature: TOG

Additional Grammar & Literature (perhaps); ELTL 3-? (I like the traditional diagramming in addition to MCT's 4 Level Analysis and the non- history lit lists. Will do depending on how it fits in w/ schedule.

I will also throw in any TOG writing assignments I or the kids find fun/interesting. I.e: writing newspaper accounts, plays, historic fiction, etc.

Of course this is all subject to change.