Menu

THIS is why I will never switch to a Mac

WishboneDawn

I have been wrestling with two different version of Windows for the past week. I'm doing fresh installs and setting up networks and other stuff and, well, I've got almost everything I needed to do, done. In the process I discovered why I love Windows.

Apple is your friend. 

Windows is an evil super villain that often fights you on the simplest of things. But when you win, when you slap Windows down and make it conform to your wishes, it feels soooo good. Like you're a god. Like you're Superman. 

So I love Windows because it is the Lex Luthor in my life.

I am forced at gunpoint to use a (spit) Windows machine at work. I kiss my Macbook hello every night when I come home. I'll NEVER willingly use one of those things and even though my ongoing campaign to get our entire medical system to switch to Apple products will never come to fruition, I soldier on. 

I kind of agree. Apple works or go to the shop- ho hum. Windows, you must vanquish.

If a mac has issues you can fix most at home. You go to the shop for the big stuff like with a PC.

But with my Mac I rarely have any issues, and I've only had to take one to the shop once.

We have PC in the house too, I am the one fixing those. If I could afford all macs I would. I get tired of Windows drama.

That is exactly why I will never go back to Windows.  I have enough stuff that's a PITA in my life, I don't need to fight with my operating system too. LOL

This.  Oh, exactly this!! 

I'm lucky to have married my own tech support.  ;)  If DH can't fix it (or at least diagnose the problem), it's probably toast.

And after my most recent Windows laptop crashed, he finally talked me into getting a Mac. 

I hear people say that Apple "just works," so often but that hasn't been the case for me. I have more screwy problems with our macs than I ever had with windows and I've had windows problems!

This is us too. I was so happy to finally get all of us on android phones this year so we didn't have to deal with iTunes anymore! It's been amazing and I have zero desire to own another Apple product at this time.

This is us too. I was so happy to finally get all of us on android phones this year so we didn't have to deal with iTunes anymore! It's been amazing and I have zero desire to own another Apple product at this time.

So you had iDevices? Or a Mac? Don't confuse the two. iTunes is an apple product, and admittedly, not that great, probably their worst. But an iDevice and iTunes are Not the same as a Mac computer. Not even close. And I'd rather go back to a dumbphone than deal with the Android BS that has been DH's last FOUR phones. Battery drain issues, unwanted forced updates on crap he has deleted 2 or 3 times that reinstalls itself, having to remove the battery to re-set to receive calls, etc. He is troubleshooting more often than not on the darn things.

So you had iDevices? Or a Mac? Don't confuse the two. iTunes is an apple product, and admittedly, not that great, probably their worst. But an iDevice and iTunes are Not the same as a Mac computer. Not even close. And I'd rather go back to a dumbphone than deal with the Android BS that has been DH's last FOUR phones. Battery drain issues, unwanted forced updates on crap he has deleted 2 or 3 times that reinstalls itself, having to remove the battery to re-set to receive calls, etc. He is troubleshooting more often than not on the darn things.

We don't have a Mac because of the issues we've had with other Apple products. I have zero desire to own one since I have had very little issues with my non-Apple products. We have never had the issues you have had with our android phones. Our phones are a breath of fresh air after dealing with Apple based ones.

I am the opposite.  I tried an Android from November to late Feb. and could not wait to get back to an iPhone!

I use iTunes, but I buy most music on Amazon so that we can all share it (Android and Apple) and I buy any movies on Flixter or Vudu as they have apps for both platforms so we can all download them.

Dawn

I have an Android phone (personal) AND an IPhone (work).  So far I haven't had any issues with either of them except when I dropped the iPhone and shattered the back.  It still works.

I've never worked on a Mac computer.  I've worked a LOT on Windows PC's, actually starting way back with Dos.  99% of issues Dh or I can fix at home.  Those we can't, like a PP, usually means that the computer is toast.  In fact, I've been gone a lot the past week because my old laptop died and I had to wait for my new one to come in (which with a touch screen, I'm actually finding Windows 8 is not so bad). 

I do see all the problems they are having a work with syncing some of the windows programs with the Apple devices.  For that reason alone, I doubt I'll ever switch.  I don't think we'd ever switch the 5 computers we have in the house at the same time and having some PC's, some Macs seems like a bad idea for the home network and external devices.

I don't think we'd ever switch the 5 computers we have in the house at the same time and having some PC's, some Macs seems like a bad idea for the home network and external devices.

We have 2 Mac computers and a windows computer on our network which consists of an Apple Time Capsule connected to the motorola router for the cable internet, an Apple airport extreme to boost the range/signal upstairs, 4 iphones, 4 ipads, 3 apple tvs, and numerous ipods.  We have absolutely no network issues at all.  My husband is running not running windows 8 just yet, we had it on one of the old laptops and he hated it, but he is the loan Mac hold out and doesn't have any issues using all the mac stuff or with the network working between the mac and his Dell laptop.  

I haven't had a Mac in years so I can't comment on how good they are or aren't. However, I've never experienced the horror of Windows based computers that I keep hearing about. In the 20 years dh and I have been together we've always each had our own computer, and ds has had his own for 4 years so now there are 3 computers in the house. You'd think at least one of them over the years would give us trouble, but that hasn't happened.

Like any aging electronic product (my iPhone had battery issues as it got older), our older computers have had trouble now and then. Most of the time we can fix it ourselves. Occasionally a trip to the computer shop is warranted. However, problems whether we fix them or take the computers in, are rare.

As for iPhone vs. Android, I had an iPhone for 3 years (my first smart phone) and got an Android last September. I'm still thrilled with my Android and am so glad I switched. I will not be going back to the iPhone.

I haven't had a Mac in years so I can't comment on how good they are or aren't. However, I've never experienced the horror of Windows based computers that I keep hearing about. In the 20 years dh and I have been together we've always each had our own computer, and ds has had his own for 4 years so now there are 3 computers in the house. You'd think at least one of them over the years would give us trouble, but that hasn't happened.

Like any aging electronic product (my iPhone had battery issues as it got older), our older computers have had trouble now and then. Most of the time we can fix it ourselves. Occasionally a trip to the computer shop is warranted. However, problems whether we fix them or take the computers in, are rare.

As for iPhone vs. Android, I had an iPhone for 3 years (my first smart phone) and got an Android last September. I'm still thrilled with my Android and am so glad I switched. I will not be going back to the iPhone.

Honestly, when I encounter issues it's generally because I'm trying to do more then what the general user does so there's always a learning curve and that's half the frustration. 7 and 8 in particular are a little harder to use when you're trying to get under the hood but aren't a power user.

Day to day issues with normal use? I generally don't have those. And in some things Windows has been a breeze. It took a but for me to set up file sharing between my XP machine and 7 but between 7 and 8 It was fantastically easy.

YOu can have a similar experience with a Mac, just not as often. One update on my Mac caused another application not to work. The application that ran a few of the main apps. Anywhoo, I am stubborn and refuse to pay a repair guy to fix what apple broke, and it did take a few weeks to figure it out, but boy did I feel superhuman when I finally fixed it.

If you knew how little I understand about computers, you'd fully understand that it could only have been Devine intervention which makes me feel all loved and stuff. Totally worth it!

I have them all. Ilike them all for different purposes. The only thing I did not like about my MacBook Pro was the hard drive gave up after 2 years. It was a costly fix. I prefer the PC for work, and the Mac for play and school. Maybe it's the computer and not the OS, but my Lenovo mid-price is a darn good laptop. No issues ever. 

DH and I are both IT professionals (OK, I used to be lol).  We have had mostly PC's but got a Mac a few years ago.  We both hate it.  It has had numerous problems (hanging, running slow, apps not compatible with updates, etc) that have been such headaches.  It has certainly not been any easier than any PCs we've owned - we all avoid using it whenever possible.  The only difference is we spent a whole lot more for the Apple junk.  Won't happen again.  

He has nothing good to say about PC either come to think of it.  LOL  But at least it doesn't cost nearly as much!

Yes, exactly this.  If it costs so much, it really should have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I don't have both the $$ to shell out and the time to spend fixing it.  It should be one or the other.

DH and I are both IT professionals (OK, I used to be lol).  We have had mostly PC's but got a Mac a few years ago.  We both hate it.  It has had numerous problems (hanging, running slow, apps not compatible with updates, etc) that have been such headaches.  It has certainly not been any easier than any PCs we've owned - we all avoid using it whenever possible.  The only difference is we spent a whole lot more for the Apple junk.  Won't happen again.

Us too. My DH has a masters in software engineering. I used to be a software engineer. We have both apple and PC/android products in our life and heavily use tech for work and play. We have had more problems with the apple products.

LOL

I just refuse to pay what Apple is asking for any of their products. That is what it comes down to for me.

Our cost savings is over the lifespan. In the life of one mac our PC needs new parts, repairs, or flat out replaced. 2 PCs per Mac, sometimes 3 PCs, is no longer cost saving.

I agree Mac is pricey, and not always an option. But I do think the computer is worth the cost.

Our cost savings is over the lifespan. In the life of one mac our PC needs new parts, repairs, or flat out replaced. 2 PCs per Mac, sometimes 3 PCs, is no longer cost saving.

I agree Mac is pricey, and not always an option. But I do think the computer is worth the cost.

I think this is true for some people. If you're going to buy a bottom of the barrel Best Buy PC and just replace it every few years instead of maintaining it, a MAC might be the way to go.  We reinstall our O/S & do some basic debugging every few years.  But if you're older, have no clue at all about technology, and no family member to do it for you, a (used) Apple might be a smart buy.

We've had our PC since 2006.  It's in good shape and we do gaming on it, etc--- not a piece of wheezing junk.  I joke that I like it because I have to conquer it, but really, I can't justify paying so much more for Apple.  They're very expensive. I am not a hugely frugal person  but I just can't justify that cost.

I do have an iPhone rather than an Android, very happily so.

I think this is true for some people. If you're going to buy a bottom of the barrel Best Buy PC and just replace it every few years instead of maintaining it, a MAC might be the way to go.  We reinstall our O/S & do some basic debugging every few years.  But if you're older, have no clue at all about technology, and no family member to do it for you, a (used) Apple might be a smart buy.

We've had our PC since 2006.  It's in good shape and we do gaming on it, etc--- not a piece of wheezing junk.  I joke that I like it because I have to conquer it, but really, I can't justify paying so much more for Apple.  They're very expensive. I am not a hugely frugal person  but I just can't justify that cost.

I do have an iPhone rather than an Android, very happily so.

We have used PCs for years and years. We tend to buy big on memory and capabilities when we do buy and are careful with keeping them up to date and virus free. Our PC products have lasted as long as our Apple products.

They each have their place in the world.  :)

PC/Windows for those of you who like to vanquish something.  Or tinker with it, rebuild it, whatever.  More power to you!

And Mac for those of us who don't have the patience for all that.  For people who want to pull it out of the box, plug it in, and have it work.  No tinkering.  Just do the job I bought you to do, you know?  

My Macs get very little in the form of maintenance or upkeep, but they go forever.  I'm good with that.  We buy refurbished, same warranty as buying new.  

The only PC I've ever had problems with was a pre-built ASUS one (by the way, ASUS tech support stinks) that I pressured DH into getting because it was taking way too long to pick the pieces he wanted and he didn't have time to build it anyway). Never again-a 6 month old computer should not have major components failing.

I haven't used a Mac for a decade-I had both an iMAC and a Mac notebook for work. They both worked for what I needed.

Uh yeah I only have a dumb prepaid phone which I barely use, but no way could I bring myself to pay what an Apple phone costs.  I just want to about faint dead when I see the prices of those things.

LOL - no doubt. We actually only went to smart phones because we got a cheap plan using wireless instead of 3G/4G through Republic wireless. This is my first smart phone. I've had a stupid phone/no texting up until a month ago.

It depends what you want out of a computer. If you want a gaming computer or want to periodically upgrade components, don't get a Mac. If you like to tinker, don't get a Mac. Hate iTunes? (FWIW, I'd rather chew off a limb than ever deal with iTunes again.) Don't get an iOS device and carefully consider before purchasing a Mac (there are other acceptable options for Macs, but they are sometimes not pretty). Apple does hardware well, but software implementations can be maddening, it's more than just iTunes. They're still working out the bugs in the their latest cloud implementations: I've been through the hell of DotMac, MobileMe, and now iCloud... please explain to me how both Google Drive and Dropbox work on my old Mac as storage options, but iCloud only lets me do email because my computer is too old. 

My next computer won't be a Mac. Heck, I'm typing this on a Chromebook, which is fine for all my computing needs except for calibre (and if I set up my library on DH's computer, I'll be able to manage it and transfer to e-readers from my Chromebook). 

We have 2 Mac computers and a windows computer on our network which consists of an Apple Time Capsule connected to the motorola router for the cable internet, an Apple airport extreme to boost the range/signal upstairs, 4 iphones, 4 ipads, 3 apple tvs, and numerous ipods.  We have absolutely no network issues at all.  My husband is running not running windows 8 just yet, we had it on one of the old laptops and he hated it, but he is the loan Mac hold out and doesn't have any issues using all the mac stuff or with the network working between the mac and his Dell laptop.  

But does Mac/Apple devices work well on a Windows network?  That's the problems we seem to be having at work - syncing iPads and iPhones with Outlook for Windows.

iTunes...what a ....BLEEP

I once signed up.  I wanted to delete my account.  Nope.  Can't do that.  You have to call them on the phone to get rid of an account.  So since I'd rather rip my eyeballs out out than do that they now have my credit card info.  And I frequently get e-mails saying that I attempted to access my account.  I can only assume that means people are trying to hack my account.  What is the chances that randomly people are entering part of my info correctly? 

It really bugs me.

You should be able to sign onto your account and delete your credit card information.  I've had times where I had no credit card information on my account.

But does Mac/Apple devices work well on a Windows network?  That's the problems we seem to be having at work - syncing iPads and iPhones with Outlook for Windows.

Our windows stuff didn't work well on our windows network.  When we were an all windows family I had to constantly putz with the network to get it working or keep it working.  

I've never had any issues with iTunes either which seems to be a common complaint with many people.  I had a non apple MP3 player and it was the biggest headache I've ever had.

I know the price point for macs is high, but the macbook pro I'm typing on cost the same thing as the customized Dell my husband got me in 2011 and that customized Dell turned out to be the worst thing ever.  He got one for himself too and it had to be replaced within 2 weeks.  In the year I had mine they had techs come out to replace parts, fix things more than 6 times and even their techs had trouble getting things to work.  This macbook has given me zero problems in the 2 years I've had it.  My husband's god-daughter is using her dad's 10 year old macbook now at the Naval Academy for her classes and has had zero issues with that.  We've never had a PC be able to still work after 4 years without major overhauls.  

I guess it all comes down to do you want to have to be messing with stuff or not.  I like my Mac stuff because it just works the way I think it should. 

And Mac for those of us who don't have the patience for all that.  For people who want to pull it out of the box, plug it in, and have it work.  No tinkering.  Just do the job I bought you to do, you know?  

I ordered a customized Dell laptop online. I pulled it out of the box, plugged it in, and have been using it problem free since it arrived in 2010. I recently had to take it in to have the usb ports/cards replaced but that's because ds was rough when he used my computer and ruined them. He would shove flash drives in and yank them out. Totally a user caused problem. Other than that, it's been plug and play and zero problems.

Dh's laptop (also a custom Dell ordered online) is 6 years old. He dropped it several times and it's still working. No issues.

Like others, we usually order a better computer than we need so that it doesn't become quickly outdated.

I think what you're talking about can be avoided if you look for better quality PC makers. We have 7 PCs at the moment. Only four are currently in use but that's because there are only for users in the house. We can't kill them. I have a Pentium to run DOS somewhere, a Dell that's about 14 years old, etc. We've had to replace a couple of optical drives in that time and I upgraded my desktop with a graphics card a gamer friends gave me but that's it. The oldest computer in regular use is at least 7 years old and I'm just now considering spending $60 to upgrade the RAM.

All that because I wish I could see what brands of PCs people are buying that only last a couple of years.

Our windows stuff didn't work well on our windows network. When we were an all windows family I had to constantly putz with the network to get it working or keep it working.

I've never had any issues with iTunes either which seems to be a common complaint with many people. I had a non apple MP3 player and it was the biggest headache I've ever had.

I know the price point for macs is high, but the macbook pro I'm typing on cost the same thing as the customized Dell my husband got me in 2011 and that customized Dell turned out to be the worst thing ever. He got one for himself too and it had to be replaced within 2 weeks. In the year I had mine they had techs come out to replace parts, fix things more than 6 times and even their techs had trouble getting things to work. This macbook has given me zero problems in the 2 years I've had it. My husband's god-daughter is using her dad's 10 year old macbook now at the Naval Academy for her classes and has had zero issues with that. We've never had a PC be able to still work after 4 years without major overhauls.

I guess it all comes down to do you want to have to be messing with stuff or not. I like my Mac stuff because it just works the way I think it should.

One of our best running, oldest computers is a Dell. But I wouldn't buy from them now. They used to be very good with producing a good quality PC but those days are long gone I think. Lenovo our Asus are good choices.

My mother had a lot of problems when she ordered a Dell online.

Right now we have two Lenova Thinkpads and a Yoga 2 (mine and brand new :D), and the kids have desktops put together from spare parts but I think most of the inner workings are HP's.

DH and DD have the Thinkpads.  I know dd abuses hers at college - leaves it on her bed, throw it into a tote bag, etc.  She's had it for two years and no problems at all.  Dh has had his longer but I don't know how long.  It's his work computer so travels a lot - also no problems.

The computer my Yoga is replacing was a 7 year old Toshiba laptop.  Not sure what kind specifically but it was big.   I never had any problems with it except trouble the with battery/charger after I dropped it and the charger plug was bent.  Still worked as long as I kept it plugged in, until a couple weeks ago. 

I love, love, love all of my Apple products. I'm definitely drinking the Apple Kool-Aid! After dealing with viruses for a year straight, my computer repair guy suggested a Mac. I bought one and have never looked back! Since that initial purchase of a used eMac, we have had 4 iPod minis, 2 IPod Nanos, 3 iPod videos, 4 iPod shuffles, 2 iPod touches, 4 iBooks, 2 MacBooks, 2 iMacs, 3 Apple TVs, about 10 iPads and iPad minis and probably a dozen or more iPhones (this is the 6 of us, my sons-in-law, grandkids, etc.)

One hard drive that needed replacing and they did it at no cost without batting an eye (it was out of warranty too), and one phone that had a power button go out (replaced free). Great warranty, great customer service and great products.

I've had my Macbook for 6 years and have never had to have it repaired for anything. I've never had a virus. While iTunes sometimes frustrates me, I'll deal with that over what I have to deal with at work with the Dell I have. I'm often called upon to create something with a Microsoft Office application and it takes so freeking long on that Dell. I have Microsoft Office on my Mac and it's literally a fraction of the time. I don't know if it's the way my Dell is set up in the work setting or what, but I've asked if I could create these projects at home and I'm told, "No, no working off the clock and no, we're not paying you overtime when you can create it here." Bleh. 

I will say, though, my employer paid for me to take microsoft classes and the man teaching the classes was a Mac user! We became fast friends. LOL I don't really have issues with Office it itself, but I sure like using it a lot more on my Mac than on the Dell I have to contend with. 

I love, love, love all of my Apple products. I'm definitely drinking the Apple Kool-Aid! After dealing with viruses for a year straight, my computer repair guy suggested a Mac. I bought one and have never looked back! Since that initial purchase of a used eMac, we have had 4 iPod minis, 2 IPod Nanos, 3 iPod videos, 4 iPod shuffles, 2 iPod touches, 4 iBooks, 2 MacBooks, 2 iMacs, 3 Apple TVs, about 10 iPads and iPad minis and probably a dozen or more iPhones (this is the 6 of us, my sons-in-law, grandkids, etc.

One hard drive that needed replacing and they did it at no cost without batting an eye (it was out of warranty too), and one phone that had a power button go out (replaced free). Great warranty, great customer service and great products.

I am really, really happy to hear that all that isn't for one person because I was getting worried you had some weird addiction!

I do love my ipad.  Apple makes great devices. But the laptops/computers are take-it-or-leave-it.  Unless you are a graphic professional, of course.

I am really, really happy to hear that all that isn't for one person because I was getting worried you had some weird addiction!

I do love my ipad. Apple makes great devices. But the laptops/computers are take-it-or-leave-it. Unless you are a graphic professional, of course.

Well actually... ;-p

I AM pretty addicted to updating when new stuff comes out, whether I need it or not. I've had my iMac for 3-4 years, but I tend to jump on the new phones and pads when they are released (if there are significant changes). I'm a geek that way.