Menu

DH Matched and now we're going to move to NC!

MeaganS

Today was match day for most medical students in the US. You may recall that I posted a few months ago about feeling very stressed and nervous about the process.  I also describe how it works in that post here.

DH ended up getting interview requests from 2/3 of the programs he applied to, which was way more than he could actually attend.  Of the 11 he ended up liking and ranking, he matched at his second choice, Wake Forest!

So now we're moving to NC in 2 months or so.  From what I can tell, homeschooling is fairly painless there, but let me know if there is something I'm missing.  I've never been to NC before, so this should be quite the adventure for us.  We'll be there for at least 3-6 years.  Are any of you in NC or that area that can give me the rundown?

Meagan,  Hi!  We moved to Charlotte, NC over 20 years ago.  Where are you moving from?  Most people like it here.  There is a board member or two who moved great distances and it's a major culture shock for them, so they may not be as thrilled with it.  We moved from MI to NC and we like it lots.  We have the ocean to the east and mountains to the west.  There's a little bit of everything.

NC homeschooling laws are relaxed.  Most like it that way but some people don't b/c they prefer to be held more accountable. 

Email me direct if you have any specific questions.    We've been up to your new area but really not that familiar with it at all.  Charlotte and other areas I can help you with. 

Congratulations! I love match day.

When DS went through match day, his medical school set up a live video cam for the parents. The look on his face was priceless! What a memory!

The time goes so fast. Did you mention what specialty your DH will be?

Sorry, no.  He's doing Internal Medicine with an eye to most likely specialize in Gastroenterology.  Because dh chose to do his last two years on a satellite campus 3 hours from the main one, we decided to skip the Match Day festivities in lieu of our own little moment at home.  When he got the email, I almost couldn't click the button!  We knew he had matched, but finding out where we were going was a bit stressful/exciting.  We're just really happy it is in one of our preferred programs.

Congratulations!!

I'm in High Point, right down the road from Winston-Salem.  I've lived in this area my whole life.  Let me know any specific questions you have and I'll be glad to help if I can.  Homeschooling is really easy.

We're neighbors! Northern Davidson County, between HP and Thomasville, just south of Winston.

Congrats, OP! Message me if you need any info about the Triad. I was born and raised here. Hope you love it as much as we do! :D

We're neighbors! Northern Davidson County, between HP and Thomasville, just south of Winston.

Congrats, OP! Message me if you need any info about the Triad. I was born and raised here. Hope you love it as much as we do! :D

We really are almost neighbors!  I'm in northeastern Davidson County.

We are in the Charlotte area. There are tons of transplants in NC. In the Charlotte area there are lots of people from the Northeast and west coast. Winston-Salem is a great area, plus there's a HUGE homeschool conference there every year.

A great plus about NC is that we're driving distance from the beach or the mountains. We also have four distinct seasons every year.

Welcome to NC!

Elise in NC

I used to live in Wake Forest.  It's beautiful!  Raleigh has a wealth of HSing resources, free museums, The Homeschool Gathering Place.  The HSing community in that area is huge.

Congratulations!!! :hurray:

Wake Forest University is in Winston-Salem, NC, not Wake Forest. The university relocated from Wake Forest in the 1950's due to a donation they received. I believe the medical school has always been in Winston-Salem, though.  Weird, I know! 

OP - you will love NC! It's a great place to live! 

Congrats, MeaganS. I hope that you will love NC.

Our stateside home is in the Triad. (Nice to know that I have so many Hive "neighbors" that could help me transistion from HSing in Denmark).

ETA: The area (Greensboro/ Winston-Salem/ High Point ) is called The Triad. I had no idea what people meant by The Triad when I first moved there!

Congratulations!

I'm sure you know this having already survived medical school, but residency can be extremely hard on a marriage.  There might be some spouse support groups associated with your DH's program. If so, I highly recommend joining one.  This book might help http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Residency-Medical-Embracing-Training/dp/0615781489  (Haven't read it…nothing existed back when DH was a resident.)

Also, as you have kids, you can usually get some good rates for life insurance policies as a resident/fellow.  Something to look into.

Grew up in King, just up the road from Winston-Salem and Wake Forest.  I homeschool elsewhere, but WS has some good food, great historical stuff around, and a nifty little Children's Museum.  People are super friendly and will make you welcome. You have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and many great worship centers (just not Orthodox Jewish :( ).  If you have any questions, please let me know!

Congratulations!

Congratulations!!  I'm just a little bit jealous.  My dh had a job offer in Raleigh loooong ago, but decided not to take it.  I went with him for the interview and fell in love with it down there.  I know the job wasn't right for him, but I think I would have enjoyed living there.