Menu

Natural Remedy for Anxiety?

retiredHSmom

Nutri Calm from Nature's Sunshine and Ferrasorb from Thorne Research have both been a part of my dd's therapy for anxiety for about 4 years.  The Ferrasorb could really help because of the iron.  If she's started her monthly, she could be low in iron.

There are Rescue Remedy kids drops.

Calms Forte tablets are usually available in most drugstores.  (They're for kids).

Also look into a kids magnesium supplement.

You could also look into GABA and HTP-5, but I have no idea what the does would be for kids.

Does she exercise? I have found intense daily exercise to be extremely calming and relaxing. Jogging, walking, and/or a 60-90 minute yoga practice are my go-to relaxation techniques.

Evening primrose oil has also helped, but I am 51 and have estrogen dominance. Younger women can have it too, though, and it always seemed to help my cramps and PMS.

When I was having lots of anxiety issues, my doctor explained that a lot of the physical symptoms were a result of too much adrenaline in my system from the anxiety. He recommended exercising until I worked up a sweat. It worked wonders for me so I second the exercise thing if she's already not getting a good bit. Get the heart rate up, work up a sweat and use up all the extra adrenaline.

Make sure she's getting enough protein and not too many carbs for breakfast and lunch. 

Dates contain the precursor to serotonin.

A nice sleep in now and then is good too.

(I only get anxiety when I've been eating badly for too long and my serotonin levels are shot, so maybe these ideas are too lightweight. With me, pretty much everything is about food and sleep so that's where I start. :p)

In addition to some of the other suggestions we also use Aura Cacia's Panic Button aroma therapy spray. It works well for me. 

Fashy hot water bottle and this heating pad you boil: http://www.amazon.com/HEAT-WAVE-Instant-Reusable-Heat/dp/B002Q700C8/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XMXZJ82DR6GHYQ81971. Heating pads are a great way to calm down. When they're not too hot we put them on our face, jaw, and throat... so relaxing.

hth

hope your daughter finds relief soon

Inositol powder works wonderfully and rather quickly. One tablespoon in the morning and one in the evening/night for as long as needed. (It mixes with water but is way too surgery sweet, IMO. I mix it with a bit of orange juice and a bit of water; easier to drink.) I find that it helps relieve the anxiety, which then gives me a chance to really look at what's going on to find what is ultimately causing the anxiety, which usually allows me to stop using it after a week or so. 

yoga

l-theanine & GABA

eta: d3 levels do make a big difference.  ban sugar in all artificial forms and artificial sweeteners. seriously limit if not outright ban natural forms. (amazing what sugar can do to you.)  stevia and agave should be limited.  more veggies than fruit.

I will chime in with my recommendation. I use it for myself and my kids for all negative emotions and feelings. My hubby and family use it, too. Especially when they are complaining to me and I tell them to tap while talking.

EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique.

Emofree.com

Make sure she's getting enough protein and not too many carbs for breakfast and lunch. 

Dates contain the precursor to serotonin.

A nice sleep in now and then is good too.

(I only get anxiety when I've been eating badly for too long and my serotonin levels are shot, so maybe these ideas are too lightweight. With me, pretty much everything is about food and sleep so that's where I start. :p)

I like the idea of building serotonin. B6 with breakfast and a high protein lunch helps build serotonin, too. Exercise. Very dark chocolate.

For those that use the Hylands and Rescue Remedy, do they work for situational anxiety?  Primarily, would they keep me calm when DH is driving around a large city with me in the car?

That's exactly what they are for.  We only give my son stuff when he's anxious (generally about weather).

Passionflower has worked great for several people in our house. We use these. I recently read this article about from Dr. Oz comparing it to Xanax, which I thought was interesting.

Two others to look at - DD also takes Rainbow Light Brain & Focus multivitamins and Busy Brain Release which have some of the supplements mentioned on here, like l-theanine, coenzymate B,  b-complex, ginko, GABA...