Menu

What Craft/Hobby Thing are you doing? March Edition

PrincessMommy

hey all!

What is everyone working on - or what have you let collect dust and you need a little inspiration/encouragement to get it done?   Anyone got crafting plans for the spring/Easter season? 

========

I'm busy trying to work on a scarf for my dd's school silent auction.  It's due this week and my hope/plan is to crank it out before Tues.   On my larger loom I've almost finished warping the loom with my first sewing with handwoven project.

On a frustrating note - the ruana I had been working on ending up being a big fat mess.  Somehow I miscalculated and one panel is 14" shorter than the other.  :cursing:   The color is really ugly too.  I have problems coming up with good color combinations and this one is a doozy!    So, I decided on a whim that I may try to tackle dyeing handwoven too.  Still waiting for the dye to ship.  I plan to use the shorter panel as the tester and if I find something that works, just use the larger panel as a shawl.  Wish me luck.

bumping this up because I know there's other crafters/hobbyists here. And groaning over the misspelling in the title... Fixed it!

Well, I really want to join in and say I created something! I'm in a big rut. I don't think I have done anything since I rubber stamped Christmas cards.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post by the end of the week.

I am knitting dish cloths to use as napkins. Using up the leftover yarn from the play food I made for Christmas, and I bought some pretty ombres to jazz things up. 

My last project was fun. I made a bunch of bibs, each with a different, new crochet stitch. Bobble stitch is my favorite. 

When the weather is fair, I am painting my kids play house/ swing set in a variety of colors.

On a frustrating note - the ruana I had been working on ending up being a big fat mess.  Somehow I miscalculated and one panel is 14" shorter than the other.  :cursing:   The color is really ugly too.  I have problems coming up with good color combinations and this one is a doozy!    So, I decided on a whim that I may try to tackle dyeing handwoven too.  Still waiting for the dye to ship.  I plan to use the shorter panel as the tester and if I find something that works, just use the larger panel as a shawl.  Wish me luck.

I wanted to "like" most of your post but not your frustrations.  Wishing you luck!

I am almost finished knitting the slipped stitch linen towel that I mentioned previously.  (Purl Bee tutorial here.)

While I was over at the Purl Bee site, I saw these knitted log cabin washcloths.  What a great way to use up small bits of cotton yarn!  I started one last night.

I have stitched some recycle sari squares that I bought from an Oxfam shop when I was in England last summer.  A friend who is a quilter gave me some ideas and I think she has inspired me to buy a walking foot for my machine.

On the dining room table is fabric to stitch one of these travel wallets:

The tutorial comes from Sew Mama Sew. 

The new PieceWork magazine arrived. Oolala!  Inspiration out the wazoo!

Working on this shawl, but smaller, in sock yarn. The end is in sight! 11 rows to go!

Itttt, that shawl is lovely! Please post FO pics!

I wanted to "like" most of your post but not your frustrations.  Wishing you luck!

I am almost finished knitting the slipped stitch linen towel that I mentioned previously.  (Purl Bee tutorial here.)

While I was over at the Purl Bee site, I saw these knitted log cabin washcloths.  What a great way to use up small bits of cotton yarn!  I started one last night.

I have stitched some recycle sari squares that I bought from an Oxfam shop when I was in England last summer.  A friend who is a quilter gave me some ideas and I think she has inspired me to buy a walking foot for my machine.

On the dining room table is fabric to stitch one of these travel wallets:

The tutorial comes from Sew Mama Sew. 

The new PieceWork magazine arrived. Oolala!  Inspiration out the wazoo!

Loving those log cabin squares. I've always wanted to knit a throw with that pattern but am put off by the mind-numbing thought of all that garter stitch. These little cuties look manageable though :D

Sari fabric is delicious, isn't it?

I'm continuing to work on my "La La Shawl". Yesterday we watched 'Damn Yankees". I sat with the lads knitting blissfully, a part of things but with something to keep my mind from wandering too far away :lol:

I recently did one of those log cabin squares. Actually I didn't finish, only did the center and the first round. By then it was already 8" square and that's as big as I like my dishcloths so I stopped.

I'm continuing to work on my "La La Shawl". Yesterday we watched 'Damn Yankees". I sat with the lads knitting blissfully, a part of things but with something to keep my mind from wandering too far away :lol:

I have a La La shawl that I started . . . oh when was it? It's been sitting in a bag, unfinished for a very long time!

Did anyone here participate in the Ravellenics? It's basically a big knit-a-long done during the Olympics.

I'm desperately trying to finish up my Ravellenic sweater. I thought I was going to be able to complete my sweater but then realized it was too small!! WAaaaahhhhh! So, I basically had to knit the whole darn thing over again. As of today I am almost done with the body and sleeves and just have to do the button band - woo hoo!

I did manage to finish a pair of socks during the Ravellenics - I love sparkle hearts socks. I recently discovered the Fish Lips kiss heel and that has really revitalized my sock knitting. :)

It's so nice to see everyone's projects!

Did anyone here participate in the Ravellenics? It's basically a big knit-a-long done during the Olympics.

I recently discovered the Fish Lips kiss heel and that has really revitalized my sock knitting. :)

I was on Team Stash and Burn and did a Citron shawl.

I also recently discovered Fish Lips Kiss heel but haven't attempted it yet. So I take it you really like it?

I'm working on an Easter story play set for my kids - little peg people with different sets to act out Holy Week. 

I'm also making Saint Patrick and snakes, for that holiday.

For my little girls, I'm cutting fabric for their Easter dresses, and I'm starting to knit their spring sweaters.

Hmm. I probably should add something else. That doesn't sound nearly busy enough :)

I'm recovering some binders, covering a shoe box to hold smaller things and making my school supplies pretty :), I haven't started yet but I have all my supplies (though I do want more washi tape). Dd1 wants to help but so far we managed to cover her shoe box and decorate that.

Well if it counts, I purchased a beginners cross stitch for dd.  I thought beginner meant she could do it on her own with some guidance,.  Yeah apparently beginner means smaller, not easier....So I do the stitches one way, dd makes a great effort doing the "cross" stitches.  She seems to be enjoying it though.  She is the most patient child ever.

I am working on this pattern for a baby's blanket in pink, white, and brown.  The baby isn't due until the end of May so I am slow going on it. 

Saving the link for future reference. We found out last week that the little guy in my sig is going to have a sibling come August.

ETA: To be clear: The "little guy" is our grandson, not our 16 year old. :D

Saving the link for future reference. We found out last week that the little guy in my sig is going to have a sibling come August.

LOL - congratulations to the whole family!

I love hearing about what everyone is doing. 

It is  a very easy pattern, but lots of ends to weave in (true of all stripy things though).

I was on Team Stash and Burn and did a Citron shawl.

I also recently discovered Fish Lips Kiss heel but haven't attempted it yet. So I take it you really like it?

I love your shawl! That is a popular pattern - it looks like a fun knit.

Yes, I found the FLK heel is really easy to do and I like the fit. No picking up stitches and it goes really quick.

I have a big dance convention in less than three weeks. I'm in costuming chaos at the moment. I have three costumes, for two separate performances in varying states of readiness. I'm also knee deep in choreography and staging work for two troupes. I now know two of the three dances I'm performing. I should be in my dance room working now, but it's COLD and I just wanna nap.

I finished the ten  blocks for this  month's Dear Jane block of the month club. I really enjoyed them this time through. I've also done two blocks for the Michael Miller block of the month club. 

I'm going on a quilting retreat this weekend - Thursday evening thru Sunday morning! I'm so excited! I have two baby quilts that I've cut the fabric for - I hope to piece both tops while I am there. I may also bring another small project in case I change my mind or want something different to do. 

Oh, I just remembered that I used two mismatched king sized sheets to make a duvet cover. I love it! It was so easy. I tacked it to each corner, so it doesn't go anywhere. It's reversible. Beige sateen on one side, palest blue percale on the other. I can just pop it off to wash, and then tack it back on. So luxurious. 

I have been collecting odd sheets for months. Some will be skirts and dresses, some will be layered with fleece blankets to make thin, warm comforters for the kids. My first attempt was a fail, but the down comforter worked.

I'm still working on my Halloween needlepoint. I hope to have it done by Halloween. I signed up for this workshop as a ghost student in May with one of the needlepoint guilds that I belong to:

http://www.sdang.org/workshops/Cupcake%20Mouse%20Registration.pdf

(If anyone here wants to do this project, you can join the guild and then sign up for the workshop. If you want to inquire about the level, you may email the workshop director.)

I signed my daughter up for several sewing classes. She loves sewing. We have made skirts and pillows at home. We're working on doll clothes together right now. 

Personal projects:

1. Quilt-red, white and blue theme in honor of my dad's naval service for his birthday in November. I'm using thangles    http://www.thangles.com/howtheywork.html    to make alternating modified blocks of Blackford Beauty and Railroad Crossing.   This is my at home, on the machine project.

2. Christmas ornaments-red work embroidery of a series of 12 Christmas themes: angel, star, nativity scene, winter hat, ornament, etc.  This is my take with me and work on during my daughter's PE, TKD and Art Classes.

School craft projects this week: 

SOTW Activity book 2, Chapter 29: African spear, African mask, salt blocks, gold nuggets

I finished the ten  blocks for this  month's Dear Jane block of the month club. I really enjoyed them this time through. I've also done two blocks for the Michael Miller block of the month club. 

I'm going on a quilting retreat this weekend - Thursday evening thru Sunday morning! I'm so excited! I have two baby quilts that I've cut the fabric for - I hope to piece both tops while I am there. I may also bring another small project in case I change my mind or want something different to do. 

A quilting retreat sounds heavenly.  Have fun!

I knit three baby hats last month, but didn't quite get them delivered to the new babies.  That is on my list for this week, and I mean it.  I also finished scarf for my 19 year old dd who is serving a mission for our church in denmark. I started it in the fall but didn't finish it until last week.  It is a dark mustard yellow - perfect for the fall, but maybe not so great for the Spring.  I am getting a package together for her this week....

I started a dress for my 12 year old dd.  It is nearly finished.  So close.  I am posting this up here to help me get it done.  When it's done, I'll post a photo. 

I am also doing some mending - I sewed two buttons on a coat this morning, and took in a seam on a different coat.  Both for my 16 year old dd.  Cute coats, I hope she will actually wear one...  I also have two skirts to mend this week.

I seem to have a finishing problem.  That's the goal for this week.  Finish a few things.  Deliver a couple more things.  Send out a package...

wendy

ps - jenangelcat - I love the skirts!  So cute!

• 1 month later...

Those are very cute! 

How did you get the picture in your post? I can't seem to do it right! 

Thanks. 

To post the photo, I copied the image from my husband's Flickr account.  He had uploaded them for me about two weeks ago but the boards would not let me post a copy or an upload. I tried again today and it worked!