Menu

9th Grade Planning

My daughter will be in the 9th grade this fall.  She will be my fifth 9th grader, and yet I am not sure what I want to use for school next year.  She's mostly an average student with little to no motivation.  (She's a little behind in math, but I know that isn't a huge problem.)

Please share your plans! :)  I'll post mine for her later this week. 

I have that daughter. :) My dd 14 is an average student, not academically inclined, behind in math (and loves Sherlock.) Here is my 9th grade plan for her.

Saxon Algebra I ---  To be started after we finish up Saxon Algebra 1/2 (which likely won't be until late fall, early winter)

Conceptual Physics --- maybe Hewitt??

Psychology --- Florida Virtual School plus CLEP exam

Lukeion Classical Mythology --- this class will stretch her & require a lot of her time, but English is her strongest subject

U.S. History --- at home and stretched out over multiple years (we've already begun) followed by CLEP exam

Dd would also like to do Screenwriting using a Connect the Thoughts program, but I do not see us having the time.

All of her extra time is devoted to theater and music. 

I have her also:).  And this will be my fourth 8th grader; this 9th grade year will look very different than the others did and I haven't figured everything out.  My first priority is going to be skills rather than quantity of content.  No, my first priority is relationship, then skills.

Algebra I - Foersters with me teaching (if how poorly I have taught percentages this week is any indicator, it could be a long year, I used to think I was good at explaining math...)

Conceptual Physics

Latin - current plan is to keep poking through Henle 1.  I think we are in Unit 2.  She likes it fine, but the going is slow.

History - Ancient, I don't have a plan for this yet

Literature - Ancient from the list I used with the others.  Whatever we can get done. 

English - Writing With Skill 2, may need to do grammar review

Logic - slowly going through my own plan that I'm piecing together as I go, d

volunteering at the animal shelter

We are starting a few of the things now because the pace will be slow and we are trying to get a rhythm and method going and work towards independence.

We are slogging through 9th grade this year.  My dd 14 is working on Explorer's Bible Study, Discovery and Deduction, Teaching the Research Paper, Jacobs Algebra,History of the Ancient World, Apologia Biology, First Form Latin and as many TWTM ancients literature selections as we can get through.  So far we've completed Gilgamesh, The Iliad and Agamemnon.

I've been planning for our 9th grade year for DS.  We live overseas, but will be spending this next school year in the US, so I'm not really sure how elective type things will be shaping up.  Hopefully he'll be on a LEGO robotics team, but I want to be flexible to see what opportunities arise!

English 3 Lit Survery Potter's School

Apologia Biology (on our own)

Thinkwell Geometry

Sonlight 100 US History (not the LIt portion)

CADD for Mechanical Engineering Potter's School

And maybe Chinese, depending on how he does on the AP test in May

Dd's tentative plans for ninth grade:

Math

AoPS precalculus, book only, with me

AoPS Intro to Counting and Probability, class taken over the summer

Science

Chemistry, using Chang (my degrees are in chemistry--very much looking forward to this)

English

Honors English 2, outsourced class from Blue Tent Online

History

Ancient History to be determined (with me), may be whole world or may be classical world, may use SWB's History of the Ancient World or The Earth and Its Peoples, may use TTC lectures (library); will also include appropriate ancient lit (though not as much as an entire lit course)

Foreign Language

Arabic 1, outsourced class probably through BYU Independent Study (or TPS but that's a distant second)

Elective

to be determined, may be programming

She'll be busy with ballet and will continue with math competitions and Science Olympiad. She also hopes to get on the very competitive FTC or FRC team (robotics)----she will need to see how the practice schedule meshes with ballet five days a week!

We are still sorting it out.

Alg 1

TPS Eng 3 ..most likely..outside chance of taking a local class 

AP Human Geography..local class

Physical Science..at home Apologia

Italian I..Landry Academy (she's also thinking of maybe continuing 2nd form latin or doing a eng word roots program)

She wants to do multiple electives and I'm trying to sort out which one would give us enough for credit

Flute..she plays in a local homeschool band. This might just be an extra-curricular. She loves it and spends quite a bit of time practicing.  I could add music theory and make it a course.  

Acting..she wants to take a local class that has a whole year curriculum, but just meets one hour per week (i have not contacted them so I don't know if there is homework) 

She has her eye on Fashion Design and Clothing construction at Landry, but also wants to take a local class.  She took about 5 months of weekly sewing classes last year and has a basic understanding already.

She also loves cooking/baking and would like to take a class of that too.

I really am not sure we can do all of that in one year.  Those are all her passions..with the addition of Italian and writing. 

This is my first high schooler! I'm still researching, but here's what I'm thinking right now:

Math: AoPS Geometry

English: AG high school reinforcement, the Elegant Essay, Kolbe Greek Literature

History: Kolbe 9th grade, Greeks

Science: Kolbe biology

Religion: Kolbe 9th grade theology

Languages: Third Form Latin, Rosetta Stone Italian

Church choir - 4 hrs/wk

9th Grade:

Math: Algebra I (slowly) or an old BJU PreAlgebra - Still debating Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1 - Thinking of trying a 1975 Dolciani Algebra text 

Composition: finish WWS 2 and/or Windows to the World (maybe Movies as Literature)

Grammar: probably R&S English or Easy Grammar - Decided to go with Hake Grammar (8th grade)

(I wish I could say this is review, but she has yet to internalize grammar rules.)

Literature: Ancient Greece Ă¢â‚¬â€œ mostly Kolbe's 9th Grade Lesson Plans and/or workbooks from Memoria Press

(Iliad, Odyssey, Oresteia, Oedipus, etc.)

History: Ancient Greece Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Book of the Ancient Greeks by Dorothy Mills using parts of the study guide by Memoria Press (She will not slug through Herodotus or Thucydides in full.) and maybe Ancient World by DM too.

Science: Abeka's Physical Science (need to do some labs with this)

Foreign Language: Seriously considering ignoring this until she can dual enroll in 11th grade. (We've tried Latin and Spanish, and she doesn't like learning either one.) Her older brother would like to try ASL (American Sign Language), but I'm not sure if it's worth trying to do at home.

PE/Health: Probably 1/2 credit for each (not sure for PE and Total Health because I already own it.)

I need at least one or two more full credits for her, and I would like to find a drama/theater outlet and a volunteer opportunity as well.

Determining which Algebra program is at the top of my list. Dolciani or Pre-Algebra?

Oldest ds is my first ninth grader. He loves Sherlock, too. :-D

He loves math and science and is working toward a competitive college and a STEM career (physics/math/programming/engineering). Some days I'm excited about next year, and some days I feel like I'm getting an ulcer! I just don't want to get to college app time and find out that he can't pursue his dreams because I screwed something up! 

This is what I have planned so far:

Math: Algebra II with Wilson Hill Academy

Science: Biology -- not sure what to use yet; maybe BJU Biology? Ds really is liking BJU Physical Science this year.

History & Lit: The Great Conversation 3 with Wilson Hill Academy (basically Omnibus III)

English: Rod & Staff English 9 and The Lively Art of Writing 

Foreign Language: Lukeion Latin 3

Elective: TeenCoder C# - Windows & Game Programming 

Extracurricular: Track, Baseball, Cross Country, Boy Scouts, Piano, and Chess

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our new plans:

Eng TPS Eng 3 and MP Short Novel (although she really loves Classical Comp..I just felt we started to late and she is just finishing Narrative..hate to drop it, but just seems to far behind to stick with.  she insisted on short novel)

Math: Alg 1

Science: Derek Owens Physical Science

Social Studies: AP Human Geography

Foreign Lang: Italian

Electives: Flute/Band, Beginning Sewing and fashion design, Acting classes

Extra: either Karate or Cross Country fall/Track Spring

It seems like we need to cut something, but we will try it.  She loves flute and practices all the time.  She's really wanting to try the sewing and acting as well.  I make my kids do fitness, because they would not do it otherwise. 

I got excited about sharing before I realized this was an older thread. But here it is anyway:

Saxon Algebra II with Art Reid--ds has enjoyed this method, and I think Mr. Reid's teaching is wonderful.  

Write@Home Comp I--this will be our very first experience with outsourcing.  I'm SO looking forward to it!  This is his real weak area, so it's one I really want to give attention to this year.

Pacworks U.S. History.  I think I'll have him go through this to "check the box", but want to add in a lot of the FundaFunda suggestions for dvds, and maybe some other reading.  I hoped HotAW might work with the study guide, but I'm afraid it's too dense for him to do alone.

Literature: MP Aeneid, Beowulf, Sir Gawain...maybe Canterbury Tales...maybe Shakespeare.  These we'll use as "read-alouds".  We did that this year with The Iliad and The Odyssey and it was fun...at least for me. :)

Apologia Biology, hopefully with some online virtual lab work.  Does anyone have favorites?  I've looked at Froguts.

My Catholic Faith Delivered--I'm excited about this one, too.  I hope it's everything I think it is!!

My older ds keeps sending programming links, so maybe we'll work in some of that, too.  

This is the fourth time I am planning Ninth Grade, and I am thinking of using a lot of new things! My 13yo is my only boy and he thinks and learns in a different way....I'm actually kind of excited!

Math - TT Algebra. We used TT for 4th-7th and tried ALEKS this year. I like ALEKS but he wants to go back to TT, as he says the explanations are clearer. I own Life of Fred and there are also the Khan Academy videos, so I think he will get through it easily. If he moves quickly enough, we can move on to Algebra 2 before the end of the school year.

History - Barron's Global History Vol 1. I am having him read through Streams of Civilization during June-July-August for a Christian POV, as well as more Ancient History. I want him to try out a modern secular program so this is my compromise! I am adding a few biographies, maybe Caesar's Gallic Wars (well, Coolidge's version). I have a lot of good books for this time period, so I will let him decide which topics he wants to pursue further. Each chapter will get a short essay and we'll have time for his first term paper at the end of the year.

English - Literary Lessons from LOTR. Plus Killgallon's Sentence Combining and Paragraph Writing for High School Students. And finishing up Jump In!. And a reading list - Bullfinch's Mythology, some Rosemary Sutcliff, Pyle's King Arthur, Pilgrim's Progress, Ivanhoe, Tale of Two Cities, a few others. And kind of sticking The Fallacy Detective in here - he is just finishing up The Thinking Toolbox. Not exactly English, but not a whole class either. We may do a semester of Formal Logic for 10th grade...not sure yet.

Science - SOS Earth Science. Maybe. He has already done Apologia General and Physical and is ready for Biology. But I want to wait for Bio till he is in the 10th grade, as he will be old enough to do the labs at our local Christian School (he is not ready to travel there by himself yet) so I kind of need a filler. And I thought that doing a SOS class could be a fun change.

Intro to Computer Science - TeenCoder C#.  The 2 books look fun and he is excited to try. I doubt that it will be as much fun as Minecraft, but it seems like a good Intro. I thought about the Potters School Class...but it is a boatload of money and neither of us are really ready for a class that will mean he has to be home and working at a certain time.

Health (.5 credit) - AOP Health. He's never done a worktext program and it looked easy to get done.

Art History (.5 credit) - just not sure yet. I may have him do like a quarter this year (his history will take him up through Naploeon) and the rest next year, along with Modern History. In NY we are required to do a full year of Art and/or Music, so the other .5 credit may be Graphi Design or a class at a local college or....I have some time to plan it.

PE is weekly swimming lessons and summer tennis. I had originally hoped to get him into some weight lifting but he has scoliosis (in a brace fulltime till he stops growing) and they don't want him lifting anything over his head, and I am a bit bummed. I wanted him to try MMA, but he is not interested.

No FL this year...risky but I think I am set on it.. He has done some Latin and French and is not crazy about either. I think I will have him do two years of Spanish with the OSU program (my daughter did German with them and I know it is a great program!) for 10th and 11th. If he is into it, he can do a third year, and if he is not, then he will only have a year off before he takes more in college.

My son will be a 9th grader next year too.  he is a bright child, but lately seems to be lacking motivation.  We are working on that.  Here is the plan for next year.....

Math TT Algebra

Science BJU Physical Science (I am actually debating between the BJU science class dvd and doing the DIVE dvds.  I'm trying to figure out what will work best and get done. and also the budget will matter)

English/Comp/Lit  Whatever I call it....  IEW, BJU 9th grade Literature intro, occasional grammar review with analytical grammar (he is really strong in grammar so I don't worry about that as much)

Foreign Language (Spanish) I am looking at different high school text books/college text books and will do that.  Our co-op in town may offer Spanish so that might be another option.

Vocabulary -- we are using a box of SAT cards to prep for the SAT in regards to vocab 

PE -- soccer practice and games

Health -- still trying to decide what to use

Fine Arts -- he would like to do a study of architecture.  I saw a course on the Great Courses catalog that might work.  We will stretch this credit out over this and next year if need be. 

Our plans are still coalescing:

Fall semester: 

science---biology online through local school system with labs at the school

English-- English 9 online through local school system with teacher support

(they do block scheduling)

history---govt or world history pt 1

language--possibly Spanish 3 depending on how Spanish 2 goes this summer

math---Saxon algebra II through Virtual Homeschool Group (pt. 1)

through co-op:  current events, intro to logic, Classical mythology, photography

drawing class through parks and rec

Spring semester

continue math, Spanish

continue art, current events

if we do government in fall, will do geography and world cultures in spring online through local school, if world history, it will continue

psychology and career and college exploration online through local school

So far, that's the general outline. I'm waiting to see what comes available through a couple of other sources to see if that changes things up.

Still planning but are becoming more concrete:

Theology: Homeschool Connections Online: The Eucharist.

Science: Apologia or Derek Owens....still working on this.

English: Greek Mythology for 1/2 credit, still working on the rest.

Spanish: Researching the Hive's HS forum online schools recommended on previous thread.

History: Homeschool Connections Online: North American Hx from Columbus to 20th century.

Fine Arts: Orff III choir with performance, piano lessons, voice lessons, church cantor.

PE: competitive soccer, travel basketball.

Let me see if I can get some of this down in front of me to see how our plan is shaping up!

1 credit Math - TT Alebra II or Geometry

1 credit English  - Killagallon Paragraph High School,  along with this http://www.nlpg.com/homeschool/high-school/skills-for-rhetoric

- Barron's SAT Review for Vocab. -

- Need to decide on Lit program , maybe this http://www.nlpg.com/homeschool/high-school/skills-for-literary-analysis

1 credit Science - GA PBS Chemistry along with supplemental labs and reading

1 credit History and Bible- Continue through SCM Mod 3 & 4

1 credit - Latin Prep 2 ???

1 credit - World Geography

I think that covers the basics. She also takes piano and is starting agility classes to compete with her dog.

• 2 weeks later...

I got excited about sharing before I realized this was an older thread. But here it is anyway:

It's not that old! It's for next year. :-) Editing to reflect changes: 

Math: Algebra II with Wilson Hill Academy

Science: Biology -- not sure what to use yet; maybe BJU Biology?  We just  signed up for pre-AP Honors Biology with The Potter's School & Noemi Gonzalez. I had written off this program as I hadn't been able to find any reviews on it, but recently met another homeschooling family IRL who has a daughter in a class with Mrs. Gonzalez. Their reviews won me over!

History & Lit: The Great Conversation 3 with Wilson Hill Academy (basically Omnibus III)

English: Rod & Staff English 9 and The Lively Art of Writing combined with an IRL yearlong homeschool Speech & Debate class/club. I'm thinking it will equal .5 credit Composition and .5 credit Speech with the Debate as an extracurricular activity.  Has anyone done something like this?

Foreign Language: Lukeion Latin 3

Elective: TeenCoder C# - Windows & Game Programming (.5 credit) and BJU Family Life Skills (.5 credit) After looking closely at the Teencoder class, I'm not sure I can award an entire credit even with both books. DS has gone through the four KidCoder books at a pretty rapid pace. 

Extracurricular: Track, Baseball, Cross Country, Boy Scouts, Piano,  Chess, and Debate? This looks like a lot of extracurriculars. We might have to pare this down a bit. 

This is my first high schooler! I'm still researching, but here's what I'm thinking right now:

Math: AoPS Geometry

English: AG high school reinforcement, the Elegant Essay, Kolbe Greek Literature

History: Kolbe 9th grade, Greeks

Religion: Kolbe 9th grade theology

Languages: Third Form Latin, Rosetta Stone Italian

Church choir - 4 hrs/wk

I feel pretty confident that I've made my final choices:

Math: AoPS Geometry and Advanced Algebra concurrently (this will still take 2 years to complete, but my math prof husband doesn't want her taking a whole year off from Algebra)

English: Analytical Grammar High School Reinforcement: American authors, The Elegant Essay, Windows to the World, Excellence in Lit: American Lit (some how combining these last two, but not planning to complete everything in both)

American history: Lands of Hope and Promise

Theology: Kolbe 9th grade

Foreign Language: 3rd and 4th Form Latin, Rosetta Stone Italian with added grammar study, reading and writing.

Fine Arts: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, Church choir

• 4 weeks later...

this is what I have so far:

Math:  Saxon Algebra II with Art Reed DVDs, or maybe Saxon Teacher (?? I dunno...)

English:  Tapestry of Grace Year 1

History: Tapestry of Grace Year 1

Science:  M/L Biology, Macaw

PE/Health: Ummmm....

Something else:  Probably drafting, if I can find something!  

He's leaning toward mechanical engineering right now, and he does like to do technical drawing...  

And Wood Shop.  Surely I can give him credit for helping me build a house, right??

TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World

History

Literature & Composition

Geography

Art History

High School Chemistry at local University

Homeschool Concert Band

Art of Problem Solving - just keep moving forward

Japanese (still working out materials)

Yoga

Electives to be determined based on interest.

Saxon Algebra I ---  To be started after we finish up Saxon Algebra 1/2 (which likely won't be until late fall, early winter)

Lukeion Classical Mythology --- this class will stretch her & require a lot of her time, but English is her strongest subject

U.S. History --- at home and stretched out over multiple years (we've already begun) followed by CLEP exam

Dd would also like to do Screenwriting using a Connect the Thoughts program, but I do not see us having the time.

We have a final list now, too. Nearly everything has been ordered.

Saxon Algebra 1 (after finishing Saxon Algebra 1/2)

Kolbe Physical Science + TOPS Analysis, Solutions, Machines and Sound

FLVS Psychology + CLEP exam

Write at Home Expository Writing 1 and Essay 1 + EIL American Literature + Killgallon SC for High School

Kolbe Modern and US History + Teaching Company History of the United States + CTT The Three R's and Revolutions & Nations + CLEP US History I exam

CTT Screenwriting I

Engish:  Ancient Literature & Composition (MFW)

Lost Tools of Writing

Henle Latin I (2nd time, going only up to ch. 20)

History:  Ancient History (MFW) using Notgrass, etc.

Math:  Saxon Algebra I (to start in Nov. after finishing up Saxon Algebra 1/2)

Science:  BJU Space & Earth Science

(also doing History of Science, Origins  - from Challenge B, Classical Conversations)

Logic:   Introductory Logic and Intermediate Logic -  from CC

Bible:  Old Testament Survey (MFW)

Debate:  0.5 credit from Mock Trial (CC)

Fine Arts (and PE):  Ancient Fife & Drum Corps

Our current plan:

English:

- Word Within the Word

- Analytical Grammar High School Reinforcement - probably British authors

- Literary Lesson from Lord of the Rings

- Still working on a reading list

History - World History I, Ancients to 1800

- Oak Meadow World History

- Plague! Problem Studies for One

- Videos, misc other books

Math: Algebra II using Lial's Intermediate Alg and AoPS

Science: Biology, Miller & Levine and Apologia (labs). Looking forward to dissections.

Spanish: So You Really Want to Learn Spanish or Breaking the Barrier Spanish

Logic: James Madison Critical Thinking

PE:

- Homeschool PE at the Y

- Irish dance

- Tennis lessons

Electives:

- Drama at co-op

- Creative Writing at co-op (hopefully)

- Programming

• 2 months later...

I have that daughter. :) My dd 14 is an average student, not academically inclined, behind in math (and loves Sherlock.) Here is my 9th grade plan for her.

Would you be willing to share more about the CLEP exam choices?  We are trying to figure out which subjects to take CLEP/AP/SAT II for, etc, and I am just curious why people pick certain subjects for different things.  Will she take the CLEP at the end of the year?

Would you be willing to share more about the CLEP exam choices?  We are trying to figure out which subjects to take CLEP/AP/SAT II for, etc, and I am just curious why people pick certain subjects for different things.  Will she take the CLEP at the end of the year?

The CLEP exams can be taken at any time of year, so she will take them one at a time, whenever she is ready. Though she does want to have all of her CLEP credits done by the end of 10th grade.

We were very specific in our choices, due to local school policies. This particular dd is very determined to graduate from high school with her AA. And she only wants her AA to be in Theatre. 

So, we sat down and determined which CLEP exams the CC would accept and would work toward her specific AA to get her required classes needed to be taken on campus down to 22 courses (the maximum the CC will allow for dual enrollment.) I vetoed any science CLEP exams, as I want her to have the lab experience. So we ended up with:

Psychology 

US History I and II

College Composition

Humanities

Back-ups :)

Sociology

US Government

For my rising 9th grader:

AoPS Alg II, Prob(ably) AoPS Prob and Stats in the Spring

Chemistry using Chang and Chemguy

World History with SWB's History of the Ancient World, possibly into Medieval if we move along

English: Wordly Wise, Warriner's for grammar and writing, Reading list from WTM

Spanish: Spanish Now

TKD and Parkour for Gym

Piano, Accordion & Singing in a Bluegrass Band for Music

We are both going to try and tag along with big sister on AP Stats and take the AP Exam... yes, I am going to test my way through some college credit, just like my kids!!

For my 9th grader: 

Seton for English, Grammar and Composition, World History, Religion and Physical Science

Algebra (Basic Algebra by Brown)--we started this last year and will finish this year, Aleks for review

German 1 (OSU)--first half done last year, will complete second half this year

DigiDesigns (Impact Virtual)

Extracurriculars: Swimming, running, violin, puppy raiser for service organization, youth group, 4H

Updated plans and other thoughts:

I am planning on working on memorization and some form of presentation or public speaking with all of them.  Even if all we do is present something that has been memorized and record it so that they can review it later.

9th Grade for dd:

Math: Pre-Algebra using Derek Owens workbooks and videos

Composition: finish WWS 2 and/or Windows to the World (maybe Movies as Literature)

Grammar: probably R&S English or Easy Grammar - Hake Grammar (8th grade)

Literature: Ancient Greece Ă¢â‚¬â€œ mostly Kolbe's 9th Grade Lesson Plans and/or workbooks from Memoria Press

(Iliad, Odyssey, Oresteia, Oedipus, etc.)

History: Ancient Greece Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Book of the Ancient Greeks by Dorothy Mills using parts of the study guide by Memoria Press (She will not slug through Herodotus or Thucydides in full.) and maybe also Ancient World by DM.

Science: Abeka's Physical Science (need to do some labs with this)

Bible: R&S 5th grade Old Testament and reading her Bible on some sort of schedule
Foreign Language: Seriously considering ignoring this until she can dual enroll in 11th grade. 

PE/Health: Probably 1/2 credit for each 

I need at least one or two more full credits for her, and I would like to find a drama/theater outlet and a volunteer opportunity as well.

10th Grade for ds:

Math: Saxon Geometry and finish AoPS Intro. to Algebra

Composition: finish WWS 2 and/or Windows to the World (maybe Movies as Literature)

Grammar: Hake Grammar (8th grade)

Literature: American Literature or Modern Literature (we'll pick 10 books or so.)

History: American History with Paul Johnson's A History of the American People

Science: Chemistry (to finish and Chem Labs) / Biology (spring semester and the following fall semester)

Bible: R&S 5th grade Old Testament and reading his Bible on some sort of schedule
Foreign Language: Ignoring this until dual enrollment in 11th grade. 

PE/Health: Probably 1/2 credit for each 

and possibly statistics, economics, fine arts, automotive

This is the plan for my 13yo son this year:

Math: finish MUS Algebra 1 and move on to Geometry, finishing both before 10th grade, we hope.

Science: Apologia Biology with the microscope labs but virtual dissection only (my now-11yo did a dissection co-op in Spring of 2013 that made his older brother want nothing to do with real dissection.)

Foreign Language: Spanish with Rosetta Stone, MFW lesson plans, and Practical Spanish Grammar. We have lots of other Spanish resources around so will add them if we can. My son hated learning Latin, and I'm really hoping this will be a more-positive experience.

Religion: this is an outside class starting Aug. 18. It is at 6:30 a.m. every day for four years, and it marks the beginning of high school for our family.

English: finish WWS1 and either continue on with WWS 2 and WWS 3 or jump right into the WTM rhetoric schedule (Weston, Kane, Corbett, find some debate activities). I need to see where he is at with academic writing and how quickly he catches on. Rod and Staff 8, since we didn't get to it last year. Maybe try to pick up Vocabulary from Classical Roots again or just start on an SAT prep book.

History and Great Books: Medieval Times.

P.E.: we'll just start counting all of the P.E. he already does on his own.

Cooking: maybe. He loves to bake, and when I get time, he'd like to learn more. If we can turn it into a half or quarter credit, we will.

Whoa, things have changed since I posted in February :lol:

Math

Art of Problem Solving Intro to Number Theory (class, this summer, for 0.5 cr)

AoPS precalculus (book, with me)

Science

Chemistry, using Chang text, with ~20 labs from Illustrated Guide (with me---used to work as an academic chemist)

English

Honors English 2, outsourced with Blue Tent Online (second year w this teacher)

Foreign Language

Arabic 1 plus additional conversation section, outsourced with TPS (we are secular hsers; dd is going to give this a try for the year as it was the only live class we could find)

History

Ancient world history, using TC's "History of the Ancient World" lectures, The Human Record: Sources of Global History, vol 1, The Bedford Anthology of World Literature, and books from the library for most periods/civilizations (one for Egypt, two for Greece, two for Rome, two for China (a history and a source book--excellent), etc)

Electives

AP Human Geography using the Rubenstein text and many other resources (articles, videos, NPR news stories) with a small group of two other ninth graders (both public-schooled)----my syllabus was approved by the College Board so it's an official AP class---we've been meeting since early July and will continue to meet once a week through the year

Introduction to Archeology, using Archaeology: Theories, Methods, and Practices by Renfrew and Bahn (independently though I wrote a brief syllabus with some assignments and a project)

If she does well on the AP exam and remains motivated while studying archaeology, she will be allowed to take Intro to Social and Cultural Anthropology (the first class) at the university next year. Dh already has that money mentally spent ;)

Extracurriculars

Ballet---she has to master one skill before she is promoted to full company and solos (!!!!!); that might happen after intensives finish this coming week; five-six days a week (classes five days, rehearsals three days)

Science Olympiad---she'll be on the local homeschool team (I'm coaching, as usual)

I think our plans are finally firmed up as well and after our "trial" week I feel a lot more confident about our decision.

Science:  Biology through co-op using Exploring Creation Through Biology, because she has trouble with reading comprehension but remembers what she hears, I also bought her the MP3 CD that reads the book to her.

Math:  Finish up our review of Geometry/Algebra I and then start Algebra II with Math U See and reinforced by the Khan academy site

History:  World Geography and History using travel guides, the internet, random documentaries and just talking about places. 

Foreign Language:  Japanese using Rosetta Stone, Genki texts, youtube videos, anime and possibly even some Japanese dramas.  Plus I've picked up various other books to help and am looking at starting a monthly group for practicing conversation skills.

Language Arts:  Norton anthologies that I used in college starting with poetry and moving into short stories.  Composition, vocabulary, spelling rules and word usage.

2D Art/Art History:  looking at art books, talking about artists, drawing on own, youtube and pinterest tutorials on techniques.

Music history:  listening to music on youtube and talking about it.

Basically, we are incorporating everyday learning, skills, tasks and conversations.  So me teaching her how to cook, clean and do basic homemaking tasks would also qualify for home-ec.  Biology, math and language arts are really our only "formal" studies.  The rest are made more meaningful since they are a part of our lives.

Or at least that is our plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Would LOVE to get some Feedback on our 9th grade plan.

anything Im missing or suggestions are appreciated!  this is our first year homeschooling high school!  She was in PS (Homeschooled for 5th grade.)

Here is what I have planned so far.

( 1 unit) History-  Global History & Geography I the growth of civilization.   ( This will be split & used for  10th grade also - just have to figure out where to split it )

( 1 unit) English 9 - Excellence in Literature - Intro to Literature ,  Wordly wise 9 ,  Easy Grammar 9  & additional readings of her choice

(1  unit) Math - Saxon  Algebra 1

(1 unit) Science -  Biology   - Power Basics Biology   -- ( I also have my college biology text & Labpaq set to use with this)

( 1 unit)  Art - Artistic Pursuits High school

( 1 unit) - Nutrition & Fitness 50 Lessons  ( not sure if this will be elective class for a full unit or if I will count this as Her health class  1/2 unit ? )

( 1 unit) PE -- Walks, Biking, exercising,  Tennis Lessons at some point

* she also wants to do cooking  --   I could certainly teach her how to cook  but how would we document this for a credit? suggestions welcome

** She already  has credits for  French 1 ( 1 Unit)  & Elective-  Rise of Nationalism ( 1 unit)

thank you!

anything Im missing or suggestions are appreciated!  this is our first year homeschooling high school!  She was in PS (Homeschooled for 5th grade.)

Here is what I have planned so far.

( 1 unit) History-  Global History & Geography I the growth of civilization.   ( This will be split & used for  10th grade also - just have to figure out where to split it )

( 1 unit) English 9 - Excellence in Literature - Intro to Literature ,  Wordly wise 9 ,  Easy Grammar 9  & additional readings of her choice

(1  unit) Math - Saxon  Algebra 1

(1 unit) Science -  Biology   - Power Basics Biology   -- ( I also have my college biology text & Labpaq set to use with this)

( 1 unit)  Art - Artistic Pursuits High school

( 1 unit) - Nutrition & Fitness 50 Lessons  ( not sure if this will be elective class for a full unit or if I will count this as Her health class  1/2 unit ? )

( 1 unit) PE -- Walks, Biking, exercising,  Tennis Lessons at some point

* she also wants to do cooking  --   I could certainly teach her how to cook  but how would we document this for a credit? suggestions welcome

** She already  has credits for  French 1 ( 1 Unit)  & Elective-  Rise of Nationalism ( 1 unit)

thank you!

Will she continue with French 2?  Cooking could be an elective or part of a Home Ec. or Life Skills component.  I'm not sure how rigorous Power Basics is for Biology, and is Artistic Pursuits a year long course or just a semester?

Overall, it looks like you have your bases covered.  You could double check by looking at requirements of any colleges that might be considered after graduation.

HTH

Will she continue with French 2?  Cooking could be an elective or part of a Home Ec. or Life Skills component.  I'm not sure how rigorous Power Basics is for Biology, and is Artistic Pursuits a year long course or just a semester?

Overall, it looks like you have your bases covered.  You could double check by looking at requirements of any colleges that might be considered after graduation.

HTH

Thank you! 

Power basics is not super rigorous from what I can see but I decided it would be best for her because this is our first year and she is not a big fan of school so I don't want to overwhelm her with tons of rigorous classes, ( the global history looks to be very ) so I thought I would add my college level bio book with the labpaq to supplement the power basics and add a little more to it.

I was thinking about French 2 but I'm not sure what a good choice of curriculum would be to keep her interest.

I believe artistic pursuits is a year long but I have to double check on that. I could also add some art history to it ( I have some college art texts from last year) or May do half year of that and half year of the home Ec.

She is also very interested in Archery & shooting, so I think I may add that to the PE?

As of right now she does not want anything to  do with college.. So I'm basically trying to keep her classes and credits within the requirements of the local PS for college purposes hoping she changes her mind.

Thank you for the feedback! I was really nervous about this year but I think now that the curriculum is pulling together we will be fine~!

I'm starting 9th grade with my second child this year. The oldest has been doing a full online program with some additional classes thrown in, so I haven't had to do much planning for him, but we're doing things differently for my second son. Feedback is appreciated.

He's signed up for Chemistry, Ancient Lit, and Rhetoric through WTM Academy. We're doing the delayed option.

He'll continue his thrice-weekly class with his Spanish tutor.

I'm thinking of using Derek Owens for geometry, along with LoF because I always make my children do LoF too.

He'll continue with piano and hockey, and hopefully do a design class with a teacher here.

And we're going to do a year-long intensive course on Mexico. We'll do pre-Hispanic Mesoamerican architecture, culture, and religion and then continue on to modern times, focusing again on architecture, culture, and religion, particularly how Mexico is still greatly influenced by its pre-Columbian heritage. This is what I am most looking forward to and if it goes well here in Mexico, we'll do the same sort of thing in Washington DC for 10th grade and in Riyadh for 11th grade.

Amira, I totally love your history plan. This year we're doing an ancient history survey (to 300ish CE) and an intro to archaeology course so that dd can specialize in one area per year for the rest of high school. I may need to see a list of your resources in the future :D

Good Morning Lindsay,

Regarding your question about cooking credit, we are combining ours with chemistry. We are using PAC Integrated Physics & Chemistry which is light, along with several other books and resources. PAC can be used as separate subjects or combined and covers the major concepts. DD has a learning disability that precludes her from using other options with a math prerequisite.

Our goal is scientific literacy since DD will be pursing the humanities not science in college. I feel confident in our choice to pursue a non-traditional, "conceptual chemistry" approach to science as I have spoken with the colleges she is interested in. Since the course incorporates her love of cooking, I really think she will grasp concepts much better.

Initially, we were aiming for a Culinary Science/Kitchen Chemistry course which may be of interest, see linked post. There are some very useful suggestions from those kind enough to respond. Best wishes, Dina

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/522588-culinary-science-kitchen-chemistry-syllabus/

I'd agree with continuing to French 2 if at all possible while French 1 is still fresh.  Many colleges ask for two years of a foreign language; others prefer three or more years.

Overall, it looks like a good schedule.

Regards,

Kareni

Good Morning Lindsay,

Regarding your question about cooking credit, we are combining ours with chemistry. We are using PAC Integrated Physics & Chemistry which is light, along with several other books and resources. PAC can be used as separate subjects or combined and covers the major concepts. DD has a learning disability that precludes her from using other options with a math prerequisite.

Our goal is scientific literacy since DD will be pursing the humanities not science in college. I feel confident in our choice to pursue a non-traditional, "conceptual chemistry" approach to science as I have spoken with the colleges she is interested in. Since the course incorporates her love of cooking, I really think she will grasp concepts much better.

Initially, we were aiming for a Culinary Science/Kitchen Chemistry course which may be of interest, see linked post. There are some very useful suggestions from those kind enough to respond. Best wishes, Dina

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/522588-culinary-science-kitchen-chemistry-syllabus/

Thank you!