9th Grade Planning

Math: Key to Algebra.

FL: Online Spanish I with Homeschool

Connections Online.

English:

1. Essentials in Writing: 9th grade,

grammar, essays, research papers.

2. Movies to Literature.

3. Romeo and Juliet book by Ignatius Press with study guide along with recorded class on Homeschool Connections Online.

Biology: Apologia, Miller/Levine, or T4L with added labs. Still deciding.

Fine Arts: piano, performance choir, voice lessons, church cantor.

Home Ec: cooking, shopping, tending garden.

Phys Ed: Competitive soccer team, basketball traveling team.

Theology: Apologetics, Religion with Seton.

History: recorded class with HSCO: from Columbus to Civil War.

Here is my daughter's schedule:

Spanish 4/5 TPS online

English 3 Literature Survey TPS online

Apologia Biology

Middle Ages History w/ Spielvogels spine

Algebra 1 Saxon

Piano (classical)

Speech with a HS group

Soccer

Other activities: Youth Group, AWANA helper, Journey

There are parts to the schedule I don't like. I think she would have preferred flute to piano all these years because you can do it with a group. She is very social, esp. now at 14. We live in such a small town though and there aren't a lot of group activities.

Also, I would prefer to do literature with her, but the writing is just so hard for me to teach. As a result, she takes an English online that has writing, which she really seems to like.

Spanish is very advances for a girl of her age. She sailed through Span. 3 gradewise (high A) but there was a lot of homework and probably equal amounts this year.

We have math woes...she can do it but we are struggling together, Will post on a different thread about this.

I think the schedule is a bit heavy, but we don't know what to cut!

Thanks for listening.

P.S. I have posted this other places, but I am really a novice at navigating this newer system and also am not on here as much as I used to be. It has been such a resource over the years!

HI everyone. This is my first 9th grader. And suddenly I'm super nervous about how to document, make transcripts, and assign credit to his work. He is college-bound and interested in engineering. I would love feedback or tips or to please point out any obvious gaps.  Thank you.

Math: Jacob's Geometry + Life of Fred Geometry

Science:  Hewitt's Conceptual Physics (with Labs and wkbk),  +  Life of Fred Elem Physics

Soc Stud:  Runkle's World Geography

For Lang:  Italian + Rosetta Stone

English:  finish Growing with Grammar 8, then English I - Intro to Lit, Excellence in Literature
PE: he works out 5 days a week at our awesome gym (how does one document this?? ) and takes cycling, Zumba, Pilates, etc. Does open gym weekly.

Does this seem like a good start for a college-bound 9th grader?  TIA.

This is my 3rd 9th grader!!?!

Math-- Algebra 1 outside class using Jacobs Algebra

Thru his co-op he is getting:

-TOG yr 1 & part of 2 (plan is to do TOG in 3 yrs)

--history, philosophy, government

--literature

-English writing n grammar

-Biology

-speech club

I was going to add Latin and JAVA but I'm not sure he will have time for it.

He also has Boy Scouts and I hope to add winter swim and maybe piano/guitar lessons.

This is my first 9th grader. And suddenly I'm super nervous about how to document, make transcripts, and assign credit to his work.

Darcy,

If you'd like to see examples of transcripts and course descriptions, I'd be happy to send along copies of what I did for my daughter.  Simply send me a personal message with your email address.

I would love feedback or tips or to please point out any obvious gaps.  Thank you.

Science:  Hewitt's Conceptual Physics (with Labs and wkbk),  +  Life of Fred Elem Physics

Both Jacobs' Geometry and Hewitt's Conceptual Physics are worthy of a credit each.  Is it safe to guess you're adding on because these areas are your son's loves?

Regards,

Kareni

HI everyone. This is my first 9th grader. And suddenly I'm super nervous about how to document, make transcripts, and assign credit to his work. He is college-bound and interested in engineering. I would love feedback or tips or to please point out any obvious gaps.  Thank you.

English:  finish Growing with Grammar 8, then English I - Intro to Lit, Excellence in Literature

PE: he works out 5 days a week at our awesome gym (how does one document this?? ) and takes cycling, Zumba, Pilates, etc. Does open gym weekly.

Math and Science look good.

Make sure he does the word problems and some of the other harder problems in Math. Quality over quantity.

My 9th grader (future STEM major) is doing Conceptual Physics this year as well. I like the Hewitt text. There are some free videos out there as well.  There is a Problem Solving Appendix that you should also use to get some harder problems.

Our first year and 9th grade as well! I'm  feeling the same way! :huh:

Our lineup has changed a bit since the spring:

Year-long classes:  

• algebra 2 and a classics book club through the Virtual Homeschool Group (may drop book club if the work load is too much in other classes);
  • homegrown intro to visual arts/humanities--combo of drawing classes through parks and rec, photography through local co-op, materials on architecture for the visual arts piece. She's also working backstage with the local community theater, so I might add in that and some music appreciation to make it a general humanities class, or I may just count the theater as extracurricular. We did a full on intro to theater last year and movies as lit the year before.
  • extracurriculars: Girl Scouts and aikido--debating on whether to put this toward a half credit of PE

Fall:

• Spanish 2 through Harari, one on one tutor. This started in June, should end in late Sept, but I am consulting with the tutor on whether she will have completed enough for a full credit in this, or if we need to go on to the next semester that will end in late January. Unsure whether we need to then go on to Spanish 3, so that she will have two credits of a foreign language in high school vs one in middle school (though high school level). She wants to be done with Spanish and pick up ASL later, which I support, but don't want to short circuit the work on Spanish because not all colleges accept ASL for entrance requirements and she doesn't yet know where she wants to attend (and it may change, even if she did).
  • College and career preparation (half credit) and honors English 9 through online program from local school with teacher support. These are a challenge because the school uses a block schedule. We're having some trouble adjusting to the pacing needed to get through a full credit in a semester, especially at honors level. I'm excited about her English teacher though. She's a National Writing Project teacher consultant and a member of the National Council of Teachers of English. I'm really looking forward to her input on my daughter's writing.
  • Extras: a classical mythology enrichment class (I'll be teaching this one) and a cooking skills enrichment class through a second local co-op

Spring:

• honors biology and probably sociology (half credit) through the local school online program. Again, block scheduling will be interesting, but labs can be done at the school!!!
  • Current events and US government through local co-op
  • Spanish?
  • Enrichment classes through the second co-op? It will depend on what's offered and the schedule.

High school is a definite ramp up from middle school.