Menu

No fat, no citrus, no chocolate, no fizzy drinks, limited caffeine, no alcohol

Laura Corin

:grouphug:  I would be beyond grumpy. But maybe it will make you feel better enough to offset the grumpiness.

I'm not feeling bad, but if I don't get this thing under control, I will eventually have to give up a hobby that means a lot to me.  So I think it's worth it.  I think.

L

singing?

Yeah I can't sing these days.

Let me know if this works.  I think I'd be willing to try it actually.  I joke, but really it's pretty awful and I wish I could get rid of it.

Yup.  Husband can't sing anymore - he has the same issues.  He's really sad about it.

L

Oh wow. No fat at all?  Poor you. I agree,a  most depressing thread.

I'm allowed chicken and fish, but they have to be poached, grilled or baked with no fat.  I feel as if I'm eating tons of food but I never feel full.  I'm a one-woman experiment in the importance of fat for satiety.

Off to bed now

L

Since I sound like an injured animal when I sing, it wouldn't be worth it for me to give up all those yummy foods.   But if I COULD sing, I can see where it would be awful to NOT be able to. So sorry you have to give all this up- and I hope that after the two weeks you can add at least SOME of them back.

If I had to eliminate caffeine and chocolate, my family would probably be more sad than I would be since I would be One Grumpy Woman. 

I had to stick to a terribly restricted diet (including extremely low fat) for about ten months to avoid having my gallbladder removed during pregnancy or right after, and it was pretty miserable. I hear you about never feeling satiated. I would eat a meal and get up feeling hungrier than before I ate. I ate more grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts and egg whites than I care to think about. I ate constantly, even waking up in the middle of the night to snack, and I was still 12 lbs below my pre pregnancy weight when I gave birth. You have my sympathy, and I hope you are able to add back in a good number of foods.

Well, I'm not suggesting going against your doctor's orders, but....  Our refluxers DO have trouble with conventional vegetable oils that are extracted with solvents, but none of us has trouble with traditional fats like olive oil or butter.  Perhaps it's not the fat content that has given fats a bad name among GI docs, but what we've done to fat in the past 20 years.  I believe that for a majority of refluxers (although not all) certain additives in processed foods are major triggers, if not the root of the issue.  When you add fat back, try plain olive oil and butter first, then trial such things as palm and canola oil separately.

I hope this lean period leads you to some answers that will not only be livable, but allow you to do what you love!

Amy

I've had a similar issue. I don't know if it will make you feel better or worse, but avoiding those trigger foods (and black pepper) made a big difference. I also notice issues with peppers, onions, and tomatoes- the things that make veggie dishes tasty. :glare: I hope it works for you though. Having a beautiful voice is a wonderful gift.

Laura, can you eat avocados? Olives? Is it just animal fats you're avoiding? The avocados really help me feel satisfied. Maybe nuts, too.

I'm sorry, but it's worth a go, isn't it? Two weeks. That's enough time to get stuck on and distracted by a good series of novels. Hope it goes quickly for you.

Well, I'm not suggesting going against your doctor's orders, but....  Our refluxers DO have trouble with conventional vegetable oils that are extracted with solvents, but none of us has trouble with traditional fats like olive oil or butter.  Perhaps it's not the fat content that has given fats a bad name among GI docs, but what we've done to fat in the past 20 years.  I believe that for a majority of refluxers (although not all) certain additives in processed foods are major triggers, if not the root of the issue.  When you add fat back, try plain olive oil and butter first, then trial such things as palm and canola oil separately.

I hope this lean period leads you to some answers that will not only be livable, but allow you to do what you love!

Amy

Thanks for the advice.  I don't really eat processed foods anyway, so that should be pretty easy.

L

Laura, can you eat avocados? Olives? Is it just animal fats you're avoiding? The avocados really help me feel satisfied. Maybe nuts, too.

I'm sorry, but it's worth a go, isn't it? Two weeks. That's enough time to get stuck on and distracted by a good series of novels. Hope it goes quickly for you.

Yes, it's worth a go.  It's the long term management that I'm fearing.  No chocolate eclairs....  

I'm meant to be avoiding all fats, not just animal ones, so no olive oil to saute a chicken breast, for example.

L

You might be able to do properly fermented fizzy drinks in the future.

:grouphug:

How are you supposed to get your fat soluble vitamins? 

The fizziness itself is meant to be an issue - forcing the valve at the top of the stomach open....  

For two weeks, I suspect I won't be getting my fat-soluble vitamins, but thereafter I hope to be adding a tiny bit of oil back in.

Thank heavens I can't sing, cos to me that title reads "Kill me now!"

D

The joke is that I actually don't have a brilliant voice.  I just really enjoy singing in the local unauditioned choir.  Singing is a great physical and mental release, and the social side is good for me too.

L

:grouphug: You can do this!

Personally, the no-fat thing would have me worried, for satiety reasons. Otherwise, I must be the most boring eater on the planet, but the other items wouldn't bother me the slightest.

I wish we could trade places, I would follow your diet, you could teach my kids English, that would be a happy trade :D.

Yes, it's worth a go.  It's the long term management that I'm fearing.  No chocolate eclairs....  

I'm meant to be avoiding all fats, not just animal ones, so no olive oil to saute a chicken breast, for example.

L

I've been suffering from chocolate eclair withdrawal ever since I left France more than twenty years ago. I'm afraid that craving can never be overcome :( The things they call eclairs in most of the US are nothing like what they make in France...I'm assuming that in th UK you can get the real thing.

I hope the trial period goes by quickly and you find that most things can be added back in without trouble!

I was just wondering how it was going? Are you surviving?    :grouphug:

It's not too bad now.  I'm drinking a lot more (skimmed) milk than I normally do, and I eat four meals a day, but it's doable.  I did slip once - we spent 8 1/2 hours at Ikea yesterday, and although I managed to have a nice undressed salad for lunch, by 6.30 the only available food was sandwiches and hotdogs.  I had a chicken caesar wrap - not ideal, but the best we could manage to allow us to get through the 90 minute drive home.

I think my symptoms have completely gone, but I'm not counting my chickens.

Thanks for asking

L

Amy

Yup, same here. I can have some butter/olive oil, etc, but not deep fried food. 

Also, wheat gives me more reflus than anything else.