Menu

Working out to lose weight...?'s

Ann.without.an.e

When working out to lose weight, what works for you?

Do you start with cardio and then move to strength training or vice versa?  Or do you disperse them intermittently?

Do you alter your diet for this?  If so, how?  I am hopeful to maintain a fairly strict diet, but I also don't want to kill my efforts.  I eat very little now and what I do eat is paleo+low carb.  Is it best to workout and then eat or vice versa? 

I will be committing at least 1.5-3 hours a day, 4-5 days a week for this.  In the past, it took a huge time commitment to get my weight to budge and I am hopeful that I can get it to drop again this way.  As of today, I have access to a gym, if that helps.  Any thoughts, tips, etc are greatly appreciated.

I'm alternating cardio and weight lifting. Trying for 5-6 days a week. I do cardio, upper body, cardio, lower body, cardio, upper body, etc etc. Cardio is some kind of interval training, with more and less intense periods, and weight lifting is mainly free weights. I've lost 4lbs this month, which doesn't seem like much, but I've gained muscle, people are ocmmenting, etc. Basically this is the Body for Live program, give or take. 

The new 5:2 (Fasting) diet is the only thing that has ever worked for me to lose weight.  I've lost 25% of my starting weight since changing my eating habits 29 April 2013.  I've gone from obese to normal weight without feeling deprived, with no change in exercise habits.

Exercise is great for me to get fit, but exercise hasn't made any difference when my main goal was to lose weight.  

JMHO

If you eat very little, you may not be eating enough. Has the paleo/low carb diet done anything for you weight-wise?

I alternate between cardio, weights, and yoga. Really, mostly depending on my mood and what I "feel like" doing, as long as I do something on my exercise days. When, I'm exercising that is. I've been off the wagon for a while now.

When I first got started I just did cardio to get those first pounds off quicker and to begin to see results.  I have now gone from obese to overweight and my focus has shifted somewhat.  I still want to continue to loose weight but I have added more sculpting and strength training.  It depends on how quickly you want to see results and what type of results you find most important.

Honestly, diet changes are much easier to stick to and, for me, are much more effective. I found that when i really upped the exercise, my appetite went through the roof and i just ate more to compensate.

One rather primitive but, for me, effective trick was to keep an empty beer bottle by the sink. I'd fill it with water and chug it twice, then go eat a very small meal.

I alternate, but if I was trying to lose weight I'd start with more strength - muscle burns energy more effectively than fat.

For example, after pregnancy I did lots of strength based work and barely any cardio. Once my strength was at a level I liked, I started doing cardio 2x a week, strength 3x. That is my normal routine.

Of course, diet will make the most difference. If you're Paleo/LC, make sure to see how you feel during/after a workout, you may have to increase your carb intake a little bit to avoid crashing.

I do cardio and weights most everyday, with 1 day totally off and 1 day lighter than normal. I rotate the weight work but I am doing some almost every day in addition to cardio.

3 hour workouts paired with a really restrictive calorie diet is a recipe for a health disaster or eating disorder. I would focus of quality calories but eat enough to ensure you are nourishing yourself. I have found a lot of exercise to be great for my metabolism. I eat a lot and still lose or maintain (depending on my goal) Plus, exercise offers many health benefits you can't get from diet alone. Toned looks and feels better than merely thin.

The best kind of exercise is the sweatiest kind you find fun and enjoyable. Running on a treadmill, swimming, spinning, pilates and most indoor classes are all great exercise options but they suck for me because I find them tedious and will not keep at it. I will keep at bootcamp (outdoors), roller skating, yoga, trail running, hiking, playing basketball, biking and strength sets so that is what I do. You have to find something to do that you love and want to do again and again or else it is a futile effort. Also, start smaller and build. Start with 30-45minutes a day if you aren't currently exercising. Then level up to 60, 90, 120+. On the days that you aren't feeling like doing it, make yourself get dressed and set up/go to it anyways even if you don't do it. It is better to drive to the gym/park/whatevet your plan was and just walk around the block or hang out there and then head back home than it is to just stay home. Create the ritual and habit of doing it consistently. When I was getting started with bootcamp again, there was one day I just drove there and sat in my car. I gave myself permission to opt out but not to stay in bed unless impossible to get up. This is key to forming a new habit.

There's an old saying that you can't outrun your fork.  Or in other words, exercise doesn't do a lot to help with weight loss.  Exercise has a ton of great benefits, and everyone should exercise for health reasons, but very few people burn enough calories through exercise to make a big difference in weight.  Some people say exercise just makes them that much hungrier and makes it that much harder to control their food intake.  Other people say it makes them feel so good they're better able to make good food choices.

For me it all comes down to calorie reduction.  Fewer calories consumed than expended = weight loss.

There's an old saying that you can't outrun your fork.  Or in other words, exercise doesn't do a lot to help with weight loss.  Exercise has a ton of great benefits, and everyone should exercise for health reasons, but very few people burn enough calories through exercise to make a big difference in weight.  Some people say exercise just makes them that much hungrier and makes it that much harder to control their food intake.  Other people say it makes them feel so good they're better able to make good food choices.

For me it all comes down to calorie reduction.  Fewer calories consumed than expended = weight loss.

While I typically would agree with this, I honestly believe my body has some sort of metabolic resistance or just simply the desire to live forever even if the entire world is void of food (haha).  I do have a thyroid condition that is difficult to control and my meds have been everywhere so I know that this plays a role too.  I am not the girl, though, who says she watches what she eats while secretly stuffing her face with oreos - I don't even eat oreos, or bread, cake, ice cream, etc.  It isn't that I "eat them in moderation", I simply don't eat them.  Period.  In the past, I believe that exercise has worked because it has forced my body to burn the fat.  With the day to day activities, my body seems to do those with very little fuel.  Switching my paleo diet to a high fat, low carb auto-immune protocol has actually helped me to budge the scale a tiny for the first time in forever, but I am hopeful that exercise will help that move a bit faster.  I honestly think that if I can work super hard to lose the weight then it will be fairly easy to maintain by keeping with the diet.

Strength training is what works for me.  I try to get some cardio in, too, but it's not my focus.  Once a week, I'm in a small group training session that is pretty intense.  I know there's a name for the method, but I can't think of it. Basically it's strength training butt whooping that also keeps the heartrate at cardio levels.  It's torture and it's wonderful.

My sister, otoh, sheds pounds when she's running. When she replaces running with other activities, it isn't the same for her.

I do think it's a matter of finding what your body responds best to.

I assume you're tracking what you eat in something like MyFitnessPal? If not then I'd start doing that so you have an idea of how many calories you're eating compared to your BMR/TDEE. There is such a thing as eating too few calories which uld be compounded by exercise, particularly if you then don't eat those calories back and then you're in an even bigger deficit meaning you're even further in the counter-productive zone.

After that then I'd suggest a heart rate monitor - one that does a fitness test so the data you get is more accurate. Then either a combo of strength training/cardio or something like swimming. But yes, mostly something you like and would keep doing. I second the habit/go even if you don't work out thing.

I also really like GoKaleo - she's sane, has great evidence based advice, and does offer some beginner workouts. The forums at MFP are also super helpful, too.

I assume you're tracking what you eat in something like MyFitnessPal? If not then I'd start doing that so you have an idea of how many calories you're eating compared to your BMR/TDEE. There is such a thing as eating too few calories which uld be compounded by exercise, particularly if you then don't eat those calories back and then you're in an even bigger deficit meaning you're even further in the counter-productive zone.

After that then I'd suggest a heart rate monitor - one that does a fitness test so the data you get is more accurate. Then either a combo of strength training/cardio or something like swimming. But yes, mostly something you like and would keep doing. I second the habit/go even if you don't work out thing.

I also really like GoKaleo - she's sane, has great evidence based advice, and does offer some beginner workouts. The forums at MFP are also super helpful, too.

Yes, I do track in MFP because if not then I tend to not eat nearly enough.  I try to keep my carbs under 50.

Yes, I do track in MFP because if not then I tend to not eat nearly enough. I try to keep my carbs under 50.

If you're particulalry stick, you might want to try upping your carb intake a bit. Add in some sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, etc. It might help flip the switch a bit, so to speak.

The main reasons exercise is key for me is that it helps you lose dangerous fat faster than diet alone. Shrinking is great. Being thinner is nice. But it's the visceral fat around your organs that most compromises your health and increases your risk for disease. You will get at that fat more efficiently through exercise and diet than diet alone. To say nothing of the fact that you can lose the same 20 pounds with or without exercise but you will look much smaller and usually have lost more inches off your waist and hips with heavy exercise.

I think that going by pounds lost alone is only a small bit of the picture. Inches, pants sizes, body fat percentage, c-reactive protein (measure of inflammation) all matter a lot.

I have a friend. Yes, actually a friend and not me. She dieted off 40 pounds with minimal exercise. She looked better and was pretty thin but still pretty unhealthy looking and she was discouraged by her arms and core and had little energy. Over time she piled back on 40+ pounds, without eating all that much more. Then she started skating. Skating led to skating fast. Wanting to skate faster led to cross training. Cross training led to riding her skates or bike to work for endurance. This led to wicked fast skating and a ton of new found balance which led to awesome side and backwards skating which led to becoming a certified skate instructor. No real attention paid to diet other than not eating much crap food and sugar. Eating as much as she wanted, she lost clothing sizes like crazy and gained enviable arms and abs and fantastically strong legs. When all is said and done she is actually 10+ pounds heavier than she was when she dieted herself thin but without exercise. But she looks and more importantly feels amazing.

Muscle matters. Muscle does not come from diet, no matter how small the amount of food being eaten. Maybe you can't outrun your fork on your scale but your scale isn't the be all and end all of wellness either.

The main reasons exercise is key for me is that it helps you lose dangerous fat faster than diet alone. Shrinking is great. Being thinner is nice. But it's the visceral fat around your organs that most compromises your health and increases your risk for disease. You will get at that fat more efficiently through exercise and diet than diet alone. To say nothing of the fact that you can lose the same 20 pounds with or without exercise but you will look much smaller and usually have lost more inches off your waist and hips with heavy exercise.

I think that going by pounds lost alone is only a small bit of the picture. Inches, pants sizes, body fat percentage, c-reactive protein (measure of inflammation) all matter a lot.

I have a friend. Yes, actually a friend and not me. She dieted off 40 pounds with minimal exercise. She looked better and was pretty thin but still pretty unhealthy looking and she was discouraged by her arms and core and had little energy. Over time she piled back on 40+ pounds, without eating all that much more. Then she started skating. Skating led to skating fast. Wanting to skate faster led to cross training. Cross training led to riding her skates or bike to work for endurance. This led to wicked fast skating and a ton of new found balance which led to awesome side and backwards skating which led to becoming a certified skate instructor. No real attention paid to diet other than not eating much crap food and sugar. Eating as much as she wanted, she lost clothing sizes like crazy and gained enviable arms and abs and fantastically strong legs. When all is said and done she is actually 10+ pounds heavier than she was when she dieted herself thin but without exercise. But she looks and more importantly feels amazing.

Muscle matters. Muscle does not come from diet, no matter how small the amount of food being eaten. Maybe you can't outrun your fork on your scale but your scale isn't the be all and end all of wellness either.

I've really appreciated your input on this thread, Katie.  I especially liked your encouragement (in your first post) about going to the gym as a commitment even if you don't feel like working out.  I have made a commitment to go and walk 20-30 minutes on the treadmill even if I am not up to it - unless I am running a fever or having serious digestive issues, I can walk 20-30 minutes.  Now, my goal is 1 hour right now.  I think I will start with 1 hour at the gym with the goal of adding a walk later in the day (to keep the kids active) and maybe pilates at night.  

If you're particulalry stick, you might want to try upping your carb intake a bit. Add in some sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, etc. It might help flip the switch a bit, so to speak.

I was thinking about adding a bit more on heavy workout days.  I don't eat grains so no rice or quinoa but sweet potatoes and fruit work too :)

... I honestly believe my body has some sort of metabolic resistance ...

... Switching my paleo diet to a high fat, low carb auto-immune protocol has actually helped me to budge the scale a tiny for the first time in forever, but I am hopeful that exercise will help that move a bit faster...

In addition to a similar diet as you describe (which is crucial for me for not putting ON weight), the only thing that helps exercise-wise for me in loosing weight is intervals, as it "tricks" your metabolism thermometer to burn at a higher rate. (Here is an example of Interval Exercise for Weight Loss.)

Also, I find I have to switch types of exercise about every 6 weeks to "re-trick" the metabolism. So, run/walk works for awhile, but then I need to switch to something else for about 6 weeks, and then can switch back to run/walk. Sadly, the upshot is that I feel cruddy and gasping most of the time *while* exercising because I'm always *just* getting a good stride at that form of exercise... and then it's time to switch to something new and start all over again... but it does work.

Aerobic exercise 3-4x a week, every other day (run/walk or swim laps), for about 45 minutes per session, seems to do it here. TOO many days a week seems to make the metabolism thermometer think that's the new normal and stick there, and thus making the intervals less effective at burning/weight loss.

I have also heard that "stacking" can have a similar effect -- do one aerobic session (45-60 minutes) in the morning, and then another session of a different aerobic exercise (30-45 minutes) later the same day.

BEST of luck! I have GOT to get back at it myself -- about 7 pounds for sure MUST GO, and I'd LOVE to drop a total of 12-15. Warmest regards, Lori D.

I saw *dramatic* changes in my body when I did Zuzka Light workouts regularly.  She does high intensity interval training that speed metabolism and build muscle.  (You can find her channel on Youtube.)  I'm trying to get back into that routine but am only managing it about once per week.  It isn't a big time commitment and produced great results, but it really requires being in the mindset to give it 110% for a short period of time. 

I firmly believe everyone is different. What works for me (running 5-6x/week, yoga, body weight exercises) won't necessarily work for someone else. I do believe you need to commit to a method for 4-6 weeks, then assess how you are doing, tweak but don't abandon your plan, rinse, repeat until you find " your" formula. Some here firmly eat low carb or paleo or vegan, etc. it works for them. Why argue about it if something else works for me? Commitment is the thing that counts I think. Good luck!

Now before we get started, a disclaimer. I exercise regularly. I think you should too, no matter who you are. I think exercise is the greatest anti-aging activity on the planet. And the data are clear: Exercise can help with depression, lower the risk for heart disease and cancer,  and reduce the risk and complications of diabetes. It can even grow new brain cells. 

What it can't do is cause you to lose weight.

Link to article

There are studies on this and more technical information elsewhere.

*As the article mentions at the end, interval training might be more effective.* This has been true in the life of a loved one who struggles. But the biggest thing has been calories, not the even the interval exercise. And there is some evidence that high intensity might have some issues otherwise...I'm not entirely convinced. But your good food choices are probably going to be the most benefit for you.

Someone up thread mentioned a 5:2 plan. I see a lot of potential in that, and it could work even better with good base eating habits.

From the same article:

"A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association followed the exercise habits of over 34,000 women and concluded that it took about an hour a day of moderate (3 mph walking) exercising to maintain weight. This research supports the findings of the National Weight Control Registry, which reports that 90 percent of people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off exercise on average for an hour a day."

9/10 people who keep off their weight are exercising.

High intensity work outs paired with sane eating beat diet alone and exercise alone. (Almost) always. Way too much has been made of this idea that exercise isn't all that helpful to weight loss and I see a lot of people use it as a reason not to exercise, or not to exercise vigorously, or to advise others that exercise isn't crucial to weight loss. It is crucial to healthy life changes. Health beats all else IMO.

I saw *dramatic* changes in my body when I did Zuzka Light workouts regularly.  She does high intensity interval training that speed metabolism and build muscle.  (You can find her channel on Youtube.)  I'm trying to get back into that routine but am only managing it about once per week.  It isn't a big time commitment and produced great results, but it really requires being in the mindset to give it 110% for a short period of time.

Her workout DVDs are available at Amazon, and they are very reasonably priced. Her workouts are excellent.

Just be aware that it often looks like her workout tops are at least a few sizes too small for her. ;)

And if you Google her name, you might see more of her than you expected. She was an adult movie star at one time (under a different name that I won't post here) but has moved on from that difficult time in her life to focusing on her fitness career. But she still has a penchant for skimpy workout clothes, so if you are offended by seeing some skin, you might want to choose a different instructor.

I think that usually is true of cardio, but I find that if I'm doing weight lifting it isn't as true. For some reason the muscle building seems to really kick start my metabolism, and the exercise helps control my blood sugar swings. But, like you said, you can't outrun your fork. You cannot exercise and NOT diet as well. You have to do both. I find that exercise lets me eat more, and still lose weight, cause I get more calories to eat a day. AND my blood sugar is more stable. If I didn't exercise I'd have to eat less calories than I am now, and that would be really hard. 

Also, if you lose weight without strength training you tend to lose quite a bit of muscle mass, which slows your metabolism in the long term.

Yes! I've lost some of that awful visceral fat and that is SO important. My belly is still big, working on that, but under my ribs, where that fat around your heart is, is significantly smaller and the first place I've lost. And that has not only the benefit of preventing heart disease, but also helps with appetite regulation. That visceral fat is actively sending out signals of "feed me!" and when you get rid of it it helps your blood sugar go back to normal, in my experience. 

I've really appreciated your input on this thread, Katie.  I especially liked your encouragement (in your first post) about going to the gym as a commitment even if you don't feel like working out.  I have made a commitment to go and walk 20-30 minutes on the treadmill even if I am not up to it - unless I am running a fever or having serious digestive issues, I can walk 20-30 minutes.  Now, my goal is 1 hour right now.  I think I will start with 1 hour at the gym with the goal of adding a walk later in the day (to keep the kids active) and maybe pilates at night.  

To get yourself to stay on the treadmill longer, pick something on audio to listen to.  I've listened to SWB audio downloads, fiction, etc... I always stay on longer if I am listening to something.  If I use music I always use an entire disc b/c I'll end up walking for the length of the whole disc vs. picking and choosing music from an iPod.. 

My endocrinologist told me exercise will never lose the weight alone.

Science is simple: eat less calories than you are using.

Exercise can tone and help health in other ways. I agree; I lost weight when doing WW but exercise alone...not as much and if my eating hadn't changed it comes back. Count calories!!!

To get yourself to stay on the treadmill longer, pick something on audio to listen to.  I've listened to SWB audio downloads, fiction, etc... I always stay on longer if I am listening to something.  If I use music I always use an entire disc b/c I'll end up walking for the length of the whole disc vs. picking and choosing music from an iPod.. 

Or read! I find with my kindle I can set the font a bit larger and can read while walking on the treadmill. I set it to a hill program to get some bits of harder work in there without having to run (can't read and run very well). 

My endocrinologist told me exercise will never lose the weight alone.

Science is simple: eat less calories than you are using.

Exercise can tone and help health in other ways. I agree; I lost weight when doing WW but exercise alone...not as much and if my eating hadn't changed it comes back. Count calories!!!

Of course, you have to watch what you eat too, I don't think anyone thinks you can eat whatever want all day long and have it "fixed" by an hour run, you know? But exercise lets you eat MORE and still lose weight, which helps.

While I typically would agree with this, I honestly believe my body has some sort of metabolic resistance or just simply the desire to live forever even if the entire world is void of food (haha).  I do have a thyroid condition that is difficult to control and my meds have been everywhere so I know that this plays a role too.  I am not the girl, though, who says she watches what she eats while secretly stuffing her face with oreos - I don't even eat oreos, or bread, cake, ice cream, etc.  It isn't that I "eat them in moderation", I simply don't eat them.  Period.  In the past, I believe that exercise has worked because it has forced my body to burn the fat.  With the day to day activities, my body seems to do those with very little fuel.  Switching my paleo diet to a high fat, low carb auto-immune protocol has actually helped me to budge the scale a tiny for the first time in forever, but I am hopeful that exercise will help that move a bit faster.  I honestly think that if I can work super hard to lose the weight then it will be fairly easy to maintain by keeping with the diet.

If you are looking to lose weight for health reasons, the exercise is an important component because it really helps with visceral fat loss. You can lose visceral fat without losing any weight and you can gain it without it showing up on the scale, too.

With respect to maintaining: the data is very strong that it is exercise that maintains weight loss and exercise is particularly important to maintaining the loss of visceral fat--the invisible fat wrapped around your organs that you don't see. Even thin people can have too much of it. Visceral fat begins to rebuild after a very short period of inactivity and can be kept off with moderate activity. http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/9238

Ihave a question I know it is best to work out when you get up but what if you don't have time to do it all. Like what if you need to split it up. Cardio in the morning, strength training late afternoon is hat OK?

It's totally fine. Remember, don't let perfect be the enemy of the good. Exercise is good, whatever time it is at. 

Also, if you do too much cardio it will effect your strength training. 

Ihave a question I know it is best to work out when you get up but what if you don't have time to do it all. Like what if you need to split it up. Cardio in the morning, strength training late afternoon is hat OK?

Yes, it's okay. Working out in the morning, as far as I have ever read, only has the advantage of making sure the exercise gets done and is not squeezed out by other activities.

Over the past couple years, research has been coming out challenging the old 20-30 min of aerobics is needed at a time. Now, there is more of a trend to say that you can add it up: 10 + 10 + 10 = 30 and gets the same results. Working out twice a day is probably actually better because you get that metabolism ramp-up after each round of exercise.

To get yourself to stay on the treadmill longer, pick something on audio to listen to. I've listened to SWB audio downloads, fiction, etc... I always stay on longer if I am listening to something. If I use music I always use an entire disc b/c I'll end up walking for the length of the whole disc vs. picking and choosing music from an iPod..

Yeah, the only thing that keeps me on a cardio machine (which I resort to when it's too nasty or dark to get in a run/hike) is my podcast list. It helps a lot. Yesterday I caught up on Radio Lab while on the stair climber on hard intervals.

I think the reputation of exercise efficacy in weight loss is somewhat skewed by those people who think that any exercise gives them carte blanche to eat whatever crap they want much like the women who think they can eat whatever if they are pregnant or breastfeeding when really you just need one extra small, but quality, meal.

Also I think that people tend to exercise too lightly. You have to start somewhere but you need to build up intensity. A meandering walk is nice but it's not going to offer as much benefit as some other options. I usually take a nice walk on my rest days.

So my typical so far has been 1 mile on treadmill ( at a 3.8-4.0/mph speed), about 30 minutes of weights, and then back on the treadmill for another mile. Is that about right? I am open to other suggestions.

I think splitting your cardio up with weights is good. I would reccomend planning it out so that you are working a different set of muscles on alternating days. Also scale up your speed and distance gradually.

And be looking for something active you can fall in love with. Unless you love the treadmill, it can get monotonous and hard to maintain enthusiasm for going to the gym. For me I have to take as much of my efforts as possible outside to stay happy, but everyone has their own sweet spot. A sport, kickboxing, Pilates, swimming, distance running, yoga, biking...find something that is fun and it's own reward.

I think splitting your cardio up with weights is good. I would reccomend planning it out so that you are working a different set of muscles on alternating days. Also scale up your speed and distance gradually.

And be looking for something active you can fall in love with. Unless you love the treadmill, it can get monotonous and hard to maintain enthusiasm for going to the gym. For me I have to take as much of my efforts outside to stay happy, but everyone has their own sweet spot. A sport, kickboxing, Pilates, swimming, distance running, yoga, biking...find something that is fun and it's own reward.

I am resorting to the gym for now, but I love hiking, walking etc and will do lots of that once the weather is nicer!

Have you tried some interval type training? I think that was mentioned upthread. BeFit on YouTube has oodles of free workout videos on there including all three levels of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred which folks on MFP swear by. They also have a longer plan called Be Fit in 90, but there are others on that same channel. There are also a fair number of Jillian videos on Amazon Prime Instant if you've got that.

My YMCA also offers both P90X and Insanity along with some other classes along those same lines. Sometimes I think going to a class (after I get over the whole "new thing" anxiety) means I work out harder because I'm less likely to slack off.

And what about a HRM? That can help you see what your actual effort is versus perceived effort (which are sometimes quite different). Heart Rate Monitors USA has the Polar FT60 (has the fitness test while the FT4/FT7 does not) for just shy of $110.

Have you tried some interval type training? I think that was mentioned upthread. BeFit on YouTube has oodles of free workout videos on there including all three levels of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred which folks on MFP swear by. They also have a longer plan called Be Fit in 90, but there are others on that same channel. There are also a fair number of Jillian videos on Amazon Prime Instant if you've got that.

My YMCA also offers both P90X and Insanity along with some other classes along those same lines. Sometimes I think going to a class (after I get over the whole "new thing" anxiety) means I work out harder because I'm less likely to slack off.

And what about a HRM? That can help you see what your actual effort is versus perceived effort (which are sometimes quite different). Heart Rate Monitors USA has the Polar FT60 (has the fitness test while the FT4/FT7 does not) for just shy of $110.

I go back and forth on spending money for a HRM. So you like yours? Did you workout without one before? How has it helped?

I go back and forth on spending money for a HRM. So you like yours? Did you workout without one before? How has it helped?

Lol, I just cross-posted in the other thread. I haven't gotten mine yet, but FT60 is what I'll buy. I hate the "black box" feeling when it comes to exercising. It's all just an estimate anyway, but I want a better estimate than my own perceived exertion which is definitely not accurate. I also need something with an audible beep because I read while riding the bike and tend to go easier than i should due to being,lost in the story. When I do remember to use the HRM on the bike, it does help me get going if I need to or dial back a bit if I'm going too hard.

Plus, I'm a numbers geek so I'd like more data.

ETA: the other thing that I think helps is looking at this as my part-time job. It doesn't pay me anything, sadly, but it helps me mentally prioritize. I hate the time it takes (2hrs including travel time/kids to Child Watch), but the alternative? Yeah, not so nice. I try to pick the things I enjoy (lap swimming!) and then a few things I don't hate, but that push me further. I have a long way to go, though.

Lol, I just cross-posted in the other thread. I haven't gotten mine yet, but FT60 is what I'll buy. I hate the "black box" feeling when it comes to exercising. It's all just an estimate anyway, but I want a better estimate than my own perceived exertion which is definitely not accurate. I also need something with an audible beep because I read while riding the bike and tend to go easier than i should due to being,lost in the story. When I do remember to use the HRM on the bike, it does help me get going if I need to or dial back a bit if I'm going too hard.

Plus, I'm a numbers geek so I'd like more data.

Thank you for the rec.  I may be asking for that for my birthday/Mother's Day (a week apart).

I think a class with weight and stretching work is a great idea. My Y also has Insanity and some kettleball stuff, Pilates, kickboxing etc. Most gyms offer free classes like this. I do an AM bootcamp elsewhere instead because of my whole prefer to be outside thing but there are a lot of good offerings at the Y. Also my Y has family yoga and free drop in centers for the kids. Best things ever.

I think a class with weight and stretching work is a great idea. My Y also has Insanity and some kettleball stuff, Pilates, kickboxing etc. Most gyms offer free classes like this. I do an AM bootcamp elsewhere instead because of my whole prefer to be outside thing but there are a lot of good offerings at the Y. Also my Y has family yoga and free drop in centers for the kids. Best things ever.

A couple of years ago our Y had a women's weightlifting class which I didn't take then, but should have. I'd like to work up to Group Power (barbell class), but they also offer what they call "strength-n-stretch" which seems more beginner friendly. I actually think my Y takes the bootcamp thing outside in the summer. I think it would be way more fun outside, just not in the winter. :0) but some day maybe snowshoeing cuz I hate skis.