Menu

Are you a hugger?

HappyLady

My DH is and I'm not.  I shouldn't say I don't hug, but I didn't grow up hugging even my immediate family and though I enjoy hugging my DH and kids and a handful of extended family members I don't like to hug just anyone.  I always feel uncomfortable when my DH and I are around people besides family because he hugs people hello and then hugs them goodbye.  I feel like I have to do the same since I'm standing next to him saying hello and goodbye the same time he is.  We're having our DD's birthday party soon and there will be a bunch of families there from a group that I'm in and he's not (so I know these people very well and he doesn't).  I've never hugged any of these people and I guarantee he'll hug all of them leaving me to feel awkward as to whether or not I should hug them.

WWYD?  Get over it and hug everyone?  Leave things as they are and don't hug anyone?  Stay away from my DH as he says hello and goodbye to everyone?  LOL

I hug my dh and my ds. It's pretty rare for me to hug anyone else, unless it's a long-lost relative or something. If someone hugs me, I'll tolerate it to be polite, but I don't see any need for it.

I know a few people who hug everyone, even people they barely know. I had no problem instituting a NO HUGGING rule with them. I made it into a joke, but they got the idea. :D

I am not a hugger naturally, but I am becoming more that way. When you are surrounded by huggers, it is sometimes the least awkward of options. Small hand wave? A hand shake? Or just go for the hug? When in Rome...

But that is just me, if it really bothered me I wouldn't force it.

I don't mind hugging my family and my kids are particularly partial to cuddling but I don't like to hug strangers or people who I am not related to.

This. I would even extend it to say only my more immediate family. DH's large extended family--actually, really pretty much every single person he's ever met--are cheek kissers, and it is SO UNCOMFORTABLE FOR ME! I really cannot express how awkward it is to be expected to kiss someone I've literally met one other time in my life on the cheek in the elevator of his mother's building. It's like some form of torture. I don't even hug my best friend when we see each other, or my parents unless it's an unusual or special occasion. 

So yeah, no, awkward. Not a hugger. Really not.

ETA: I should have also answered your question. WWID? I'd be prepared to hug in order to be polite. I'd take deep breaths, paste a smile on my face, focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, and always go "face left." This is what I have to do at DH's large family events (and let's face it, they're all large in his family). It gets easier over time. Because the other option is to smile and wave at people, and in the end you'll probably feel worse if you do that. I know it's really hard. Oh, I know it! But it will be OK. 

:grouphug:  I totally understand.

I don't hug by default but if everyone is hugging I will. It does make me a little nervous at the end of dh family gatherings cause I know they hug goodbye but I am getting used to it. I have no problem leaving an event not hugging when others with me were hugging. But if I get caught in the cross fire I survive without complaint but tend to just say bye and go on my way with no stress. I accept that I have different preferences.

This. I would even extend it to say only my more immediate family. DH's large extended family--actually, really pretty much every single person he's ever met--are cheek kissers, and it is SO UNCOMFORTABLE FOR ME! I really cannot express how awkward it is to be expected to kiss someone I've literally met one other time in my life on the cheek in the elevator of his mother's building. It's like some form of torture. I don't even hug my best friend when we see each other, or my parents unless it's an unusual or special occasion. 

So yeah, no, awkward. Not a hugger. Really not.

Don't even get me started on the kissing.  My DH's family, parents, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, anyone related are all LIP kissers!!!   :ack2:   Can I tell you how awkward THAT has been for me??  The only ones I'll do it for are his parents, but everyone else gets my cheek when they come at me.  For years they all would come at me for a lip kiss and I would turn my face at the last minute only to have them do the same just to get my lips!  Some of them still try and get the lips and end up with just a corner of my mouth, but for the most part I think they all know all I'm willing to give is my cheek.  And seeing them kiss my kids on the lips makes me want to rip my skin off.   :glare:

Don't even get me started on the kissing. My DH's family, parents, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, anyone related are all LIP kissers!!! :ack2: Can I tell you how awkward THAT has been for me?? The only ones I'll do it for are his parents, but everyone else gets my cheek when they come at me. For years they all would come at me for a lip kiss and I would turn my face at the last minute only to have them do the same just to get my lips! Some of them still try and get the lips and end up with just a corner of my mouth, but for the most part I think they all know all I'm willing to give is my cheek. And seeing them kiss my kids on the lips makes me want to rip my skin off. :glare:

I don't mind hugging, cheek kissing but lip kissing is where I draw the line. Ugh.

I don't appreciate hugs from just anyone, although I have found them to amazingly stabilizing from the right person at the right time.

Visiting my dh's family in the south though, I've had to grit my teeth and hug because it would seem to be the thing to do down there. It rattles me and leaves me feeling offish and stressed. Lip kissing is a no for me. I don't care who you are, if you aren't married to me, you don't get my lips and if you try it with my kids I'll tell you the same thing. You aren't married to them, keep your lips off of theirs thank you. Drives me batty. Cheek kissing I've had to suck it up over and handle.

I am so not a hugger. Dh isn't either, but if he was, here's what I would do in your situation. Have a nice chat with dh. He is probably aware that you are not a hugger. Get him to agree that he will not hug the guests at the birthday party so that you won't have to. As a nice service to you. If family is present and he feels he must, he can hug them, but no hugging the moms and kids he's just met!

Other options:

-have your hands full

-"I think I'm completely over that cold, but just to be safe I'm not going to hug anyone."

-hand out goodie bags

-hold the baby (or dog, or cat--to keep them from running out the door)

-confess. "I'm not a hugger--we let dh handle the hugs! But thank you so much for coming! I enjoyed catching up with you."

I simply tell people that I don't give hugs.  It seems not to be an issue for people when i say it.  I say it with a happy tone while smiling and sometimes clarify thats its simply not something I do.  Most people seem relieved and the others just accept it.

I don't hug by default but if everyone is hugging I will. It does make me a little nervous at the end of dh family gatherings cause I know they hug goodbye but I am getting used to it. I have no problem leaving an event not hugging when others with me were hugging. But if I get caught in the cross fire I survive without complaint but tend to just say bye and go on my way with no stress. I accept that I have different preferences.

:lol:  Only the non-huggers can understand how perfectly the bolded statement sums it up!

I am not a hugger, but I'll go along with it if I'm stuck with huggers all hugging goodbye. One of my friends years ago was a hug/cheek kisser. It was just so unnecessary.

P.S. Is anyone else remembering the Seinfeld episode about the kiss-hello?  :laugh:

Here's a little side-bar story: I was at church in a line of people waiting for some tickets when a guy ambushed a lady behind me, hugged her from behind while saying, "Oh, Jane! I know you're not a hugger, but I'm hugging you anyway!!!" I pitied her.  :tongue_smilie:

Definitely a hugger when it comes to my immediate family (I call it "mom privilege with my older boys.")  I don't think my family was very "huggy" when I was growing up, but as adults, my siblings hug each other.  I am reserved when it comes to people outside of my family.  I hug back if someone initiates it, but I am not one to initiate.  There are some awkward situations where you don't know if someone is a hugger or not.  It is weird in one circle of friends where some are and some aren't and you don't know how to act when we are all leaving:). 

Varies quite a bit. With DD / DW, big hugs, with my mom, not so much, never have, mostly on her part. Friends, varies, and frankly has become more earnest, and really meanful to me as I live with cancer. Hugs from another survivor, from a fav nurse? Those are gold-plated. SIL hugs have evolved from formal to meaningful, as we've grown and worked through our respective stuff.

As a family, we are definitely huggers.  With extended family, it all depends on whether they hug or not.  If they do, I'm happy to hug back; if they don't, it's fine.  I know which friends like hugging and which don't.  With new people, I play it by ear until I find out what their comfort level is.  My son-in-law gets a hug and my dd's boyfriend got a hug when they announced their engagement.

The older I get, the more I like hugging, but I don't want to invade someone's personal space so I never initiate it unless I'm sure it's okay.

eta:  If I weren't comfortable with hugging, I wouldn't.  I would dh hug all he likes, and I would do a handshake or just smile and be pleasant.

I don't mind hugging my family and my kids are particularly partial to cuddling but I don't like to hug strangers or people who I am not related to.

Same here. Well...I wouldn't say I don't *like* hugging people I am not close to, but it is not a thing I would initiate. I am not really comfortable with perfect strangers I just met giving me a really big hug. I am okay with a little/side kind of hug, and I am okay with hugging people I know pretty well. But, I don't really initiate hugging unless I know someone really, really, really well.

I have touch issues so I am definitely NOT a hugger. I always tell me dh he has to be the one for me because he is the only one that can touch me for more than a few seconds at a time.

There was one Christmas I made some gifts for an old family friend of dh ( my kids love them to death) and of all the things the guy gushed about to fil later was the fact I had given him a hug. With fil I have perfected the quick side hug on days I can handle it.

I'm a moderate hugger. I hug my family members I don't see very often when greeting and during goodbyes. I hug my kids. Most of the time I'm okay with moderate hugs. My dad's wife drives me batty, however. Really, woman? You just hugged me two hours ago and I'm going to see you again after I pick up take out for us and you have to hug me again? :rolleyes:

Guest submarines

Not a hugger. I've tried. It is always awkward. The attempt to kiss both cheeks is even worse. I never know if I'm supposed to reciprocate, and should I just kiss the air, or what. I'm just not well coordinated, I feel entangled.

ETA: I hug DH and my kids, of course. I sometimes hug close friends, but not habitually, like not every time we see each other, for example.

I'm just not well coordinated, I feel entangled.

Yes!!! Thank you, this is exactly how I feel. I even wanted to say that earlier but figured I'd said enough :lol: I swear I'm constantly klutzing up the physical greeting/goodbye process. I'll knock your purse off your shoulder, we'll bump noses or do that almost-kiss thing because we both leaned in the same direction, I'll tip over sideways, I'll lean in and put my arms around you and accidentally whack someone standing nearby, I'll go in too fast and with too much momentum, I'll go in for a hug and you go in for a kiss and then we'll switch and it's still wrong...it's all just WEIRD! I don't get it, but I'm horrid at it. I seriously get knots in my stomach over it.

I feel like an over-enthusiastic Labrador in a sea of well behaved poodles in this thread :) And please no-one argue with me about my use of 'poodles' as no offence is meant and I've had a long day.

Don't. Read my post below yours. I think most non-huggers feel like they're the strange ones. I know I wish I felt differently about it. It's just a mismatch! Everyone's different. 

Don't even get me started on the kissing.  My DH's family, parents, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, anyone related are all LIP kissers!!!   :ack2:   Can I tell you how awkward THAT has been for me??  The only ones I'll do it for are his parents, but everyone else gets my cheek when they come at me.  For years they all would come at me for a lip kiss and I would turn my face at the last minute only to have them do the same just to get my lips!  Some of them still try and get the lips and end up with just a corner of my mouth, but for the most part I think they all know all I'm willing to give is my cheek.  And seeing them kiss my kids on the lips makes me want to rip my skin off.   :glare:

Oh, heavens to betsy. I have one or two relatives who do it, and I don't mind with them because I grew up kissing them that way so it's just what it is. But in-laws? Extended family? That gets a great big HEEEEEEELL no. 

I totally remember the Seinfeld episode. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread! 

:scared:

I wouldn't stand for that at all.

What is the "hugging" standard in your area? How will your guests feel? That's a fundamental consideration.

I don't mind hugs from people I am good friends with, but even living in the very friendly South, I would be taken back by being hugged coming and going at a birthday party, especially by the man of the couple if I didn't know him well. There are some men who are friends whom I will hug if we meet, but not many. I would feel weird if a man did that if I didn't know him. If the man were from another country, I would chalk it up to different cultural values, and it wouldn't bother me in that context. But if not, I think I would find that bizarre and I am not anti-hugging. Just because you are a "hugger" doesn't mean you get to impose your preferences on others. There may be some or many people coming who would not be any more comfortable getting hugged by your dh than you would be giving hugs to them.

Again, I'd make an exception if your dh is from a foreign country or ethnic group where that is commonly practiced.

I can take it or leave it. :)

If I'm not feeling it on any given day, or with any given crowd ;), I just fake a cough as they're coming at me and hold up a finger. It usually staves them off. In a party line, this could mean a lot of coughing. LOL I might just suck it up and settle at a side hug!

I thought all Americans hugged everyone :D. On TV you see people hugging their doctors: :scared: <----that's me at the idea to hug a doctor (or any other professional).

I shake hands. When someone is very close to my, like my father/mother/sister/FIL , I kiss on the cheeck (three times :D).

I hug my dh and kids.

No WAY!   I do not like huggers.   I run screaming from them.   In my head anyway...

I would guess, (based on the fact that I live in New England) people in the southern area of America are more likely to be huggers.  But not us stoic New Englanders.  No thank you. 

Here's a PSA, do not hug people who don't want to be hugged.   Do not force it on them and tell them it's good for them.  They will hate you.   I despise people who KNOW I don't want to be hugged and force it on me anyway.  Here's another hint, when someone takes a step back when you try to hug them, and then leaves their arms at their sides and does not hug you back, that means they DON'T WANT A HUG.   Another way to tell is if they put out their hand for a handshake instead, or say, "I don't want to be hugged."   All good indicators :lol:.

Hugging and kissing are SUCH boundary issues in my mind.   It really does upset me when people violate that.

I do hug my DH and DD regularly.   And I always ask my DD if she WANTS a hug!   She can say no.  

Ahhhh! The air kiss! Never had to do it until I met my MIL 30 years ago. I was 19 and never got over the mechanics. Wait....like touch cheeks and kiss into the air in front of the ear so it only sounds like but is not a kiss? What tribal thing is this? Did we Anglocize a Polynesian bump of warrior cheek tatoos, or figure old-lady powder is less toxic than old-lady lipstick in terms of cootie transfer?

Though quite continental, you know.

Ahhhh! The air kiss! Never had to do it until I met my MIL 30 years ago. I was 19 and never got over the mechanics. Wait....like touch cheeks and kiss into the air in front of the ear so it only sounds like but is not a kiss? What tribal thing is this? Did we Anglocize a Polynesian bump of warrior cheek tatoos, or figure old-lady powder is less toxic than old-lady lipstick in terms of cootie transfer?

Though quite continental, you know.

:D. Forgot to mention that my three kisses on the cheek will be air kisses :D.

There is nothing you can say about all Americans.  Really it varies quite a lot.

Yes, you are right! And I do know that, but it's sometimes hard to remeber when the only Americans you 'meet' are on TV :D.

I don't think you should do anything you aren't comfortable with. Don't hug if you do not want to.

Yes, I'm a hugger - and a kisser. I grew up in a very affectionate family (physically affectionate); we all hug and kiss each other to this day. My best friend isn't much of a hugger, but I know her well enough to know when she needs one and when to keep my distance (for example, she appreciates hugs when she's upset, but not just for the heck of it).

I think there are some obvious defaulters from this theory. My husband's family are yanks - but they're also Italian immigrants. A bigger bunch of huggers and kissers I've never met, lol. While my husband's family is in the Philly area for the most part, some are in New England, and I doubt they vary from the others very much.

No WAY!   I do not like huggers.   I run screaming from them.   In my head anyway...

I would guess, (based on the fact that I live in New England) people in the southern area of America are more likely to be huggers.  But not us stoic New Englanders.  No thank you. 

Here's a PSA, do not hug people who don't want to be hugged.   Do not force it on them and tell them it's good for them.  They will hate you.   I despise people who KNOW I don't want to be hugged and force it on me anyway.  Here's another hint, when someone takes a step back when you try to hug them, and then leaves their arms at their sides and does not hug you back, that means they DON'T WANT A HUG.   Another way to tell is if they put out their hand for a handshake instead, or say, "I don't want to be hugged."   All good indicators :lol:.

Hugging and kissing are SUCH boundary issues in my mind.   It really does upset me when people violate that.

I do hug my DH and DD regularly.   And I always ask my DD if she WANTS a hug!   She can say no.  

Varies quite a bit. With DD / DW, big hugs, with my mom, not so much, never have, mostly on her part. Friends, varies, and frankly has become more earnest, and really meanful to me as I live with cancer. Hugs from another survivor, from a fav nurse? Those are gold-plated. SIL hugs have evolved from formal to meaningful, as we've grown and worked through our respective stuff.

This is beautiful. I can really relate. 

I did not grow up as a hug or kisser, except when greeting my grandparents. Then four years ago, my young daughter needed spine surgery. Our suffering, hers physically and ours emotionally, and the help and kindness we got during that time changed me as a human being. I became grateful for so many little things and people became infinitely precious to me. I hugged and kissed my daughter's surgeon, his secretary, his assistant, and still do when I have the chance, though it's probably against the rules. Somehow after that experience I could see people's humanity, joys and sorrows, like I never did before and it makes me love them. So now I hug and kiss lots of people. It's pretty easy to tell if people aren't open to that and that's fine, but if they are, I embrace them and in my heart wish them all good things.

Sorry if this sounds goofy.

I think there are some obvious defaulters from this theory. My husband's family are yanks - but they're also Italian immigrants. A bigger bunch of huggers and kissers I've never met, lol. While my husband's family is in the Philly area for the most part, some are in New England, and I doubt they vary from the others very much.

Of course there are obvious defaulters, just like there is with everything.   But, I know for a fact that New Englanders, especially Northern New Englanders who have lived here for generations and generations, tend to be much less demonstrative than Southerners....and characters on TV :lol:.   Not every one, but as a group.  

Also some people are very huggy with their family, which is different than hugging everyone all the time.

I did not grow up as a hug or kisser, except when greeting my grandparents. Then four years ago, my young daughter needed spine surgery. Our suffering, hers physically and ours emotionally, and the help and kindness we got during that time changed me as a human being. I became grateful for so many little things and people became infinitely precious to me. I hugged and kissed my daughter's surgeon, his secretary, his assistant, and still do when I have the chance, though it's probably against the rules. Somehow after that experience I could see people's humanity, joys and sorrows, like I never did before and it makes me love them. So now I hug and kiss lots of people. It's pretty easy to tell if people aren't open to that and that's fine, but if they are, I embrace them and in my heart wish them all good things.

Not goofy, I find it very beautiful!

I have no idea if I might turn into a hugger (:lol:) after experiencing something like that, but I do hope that I would be able to see everyone as infinitely precious and be able to communicate that.

Of course there are obvious defaulters, just like there is with everything.   But, I know for a fact that New Englanders, especially Northern New Englanders who have lived here for generations and generations, tend to be much less demonstrative than Southerners....and characters on TV :lol:.   Not every one, but as a group.  

Also some people are very huggy with their family, which is different than hugging everyone all the time.

I can attest to the southern thing. My northern friends never understand why I'm so okay with random people touching my babes, lol. I live in the south, and it DOES seem more affectionate overall (yes, even with random strangers).

My 4 year old is a big hugger. He hugs everyone. He loves everyone. It's well received here, but I can see many discussions about not hugging outside of the family when he's older and we visit up north :P

If I am with people who hug I hug, if I am with people who cheek kiss I kiss, if I am with people who bow I bow, if I am with people who shake hands I shake hands...

Generally this is what I do too.  My nature is that I'm a hugger-- I love to give and receive physical affection (and yes I'm a Yankee  :D ).  But, I would never hug a stranger or someone I didn't know very well.  My experience is people here give a quick hug hello, especially if they haven't seen you in a while.  DH's family is French and they kiss on each cheek.  

I don't presume unless I know for sure the person is okay with my hug.  I would hate it if I thought I made someone uncomfortable!

My ILs too are kissers. I didn't realize what was happening at first, and in the confusion of meeting everyone for the first time I ended up kissing his uncle on the LIPS. (Shudder. Ew. I still cringe, 15 years later.)

I'd stress about this, too. My solution would be to separate from husband at greetings/goodbyes, so that his hug wouldn't pressure me to hug. Or I'd hold something (babies come in handy like this!). Or, depending on how comfortable I feel with the huggees in question I'd simply offer the goodbye I would have if my husband weren't there to make me question myself.

It makes perfect sense.

There's a whole movement/school of thought out there that touch is missing from medicine, and is more therapeutic than the average old-school doc would believe.  That's why therapy dogs are so awesome.  I had a visit from one in my room last week and those few minutes were super.  That's why hospitals are getting massage sessions, rekki, and that kind of thing.  I don't buy healing touch as healing what exactly ails you, as in vanishing cancer cells, but I totally buy healing touch to enormously help that non-physical component, whether you want to call it psychological, emotional, etc.

Docs don't hug the same way, and I suspect it's a professional wall thing, which I appreciate, but some docs do hug, so it depends.  Besides, it's RNs and social workers who really run the world, and let MDs think they do.  :thumbup1: