Menu

S/O religious freedom...Buddhist content...

Hikin' Mama

This actually happened to me. Wondering what the hive thinks. All gracious responses welcome. :)

If a Buddhist prayer is offered up at the start of an event (public half marathon) that is not religious in any way, would that offend anyone who is not Buddhist? I am not, but I didn't care. I would not bow my head or close my eyes as some others were doing, because I'm not Buddhist and therefore the prayer had no meaning for me. In this situation, is it okay? There were no other prayers.

I suppose a marathon is a privately planned/hosted event (not planned by any level of government or a public institution) so, it's "ok" however they want to characterize their event, whichever religion they want to privilege, whichever participants or observers the want to risk making feel somewhat-uncozy in whichever ways they might.

However, I would find it quite unexpected and wonder if I had accidentally joined the Buddhist equivalent of "Runners for (insert religion here)!" Or of the event had an unknown religious sponsor, etc.

Any sort if prayer at that kind of event would be odd here (W. Canada, urban) so to have prayer at all would be kind of a strong statement.

(When there are prayers they would be expected to be either incredibly vague, or quasi-environmental / first-nations, or multiple representatives. These would only be expected at some sort of solemn occasion, such as a war memorial, not ever at a sporting event.)

When i'm somewhere and a christian prayer is said, i try to lower my eyes a bit, even tho I'm not christian, just out of respect for those around me and those performing the prayer.  Except at my high school graduation, where I was surprised and rather angry . . . 

Meh. I wouldn't care...unless it had previously been forbidden for someone to offer up a Christian prayer, or there was some sort of nonsense rule that a Christian prayer could not mention "Jesus" or "God," then yeah, the principle of the thing would bug me, but not the prayer itself.

What's a Buddhist prayer?

I have no idea. :) I'm not Buddhist. We were all waiting to run and a person in charge said (over the loudspeaker) let's offer up a Buddhist prayer for our race today, or something to that effect. I really wasn't paying attention to what was said during the prayer, because I was thinking about the 13 miles I was about to run. :)

Public event, open to everyone. And as for the content, I wasn't paying attention.

Right, but run by the city or the county? Or organized by a private race organiztion and open to all who registered? Just because I sign up to run the Alzheimer's 10K in town and anyone else can, too, does not put it on par with, say, a city council meeting or the fall festival hosted by the city rec dept. my response would differ based upon the context. With the first I wouldn't really mind, but I might choose not to participate or at the very least look it up later. In the second set of examples I would mind quite a bit.

it was run by a Veteran's Association

That's the salient point. Run by private organization, but open to the public? Don't care. Don't even care that elected officials were there. The government didn't organize it, they didn't run it, and government funds weren't used to pay for it so pray go as many gods and goddesses as you wish. Pray to only one god or use an interfaith prayer, knock yourself out. Wouldn't bother me one bit, though I will elect not to join in/bow my head if I choose to attend.

I wouldn't be offended.  I'm not offended when the call to prayer echos through the malls or wakes me up at dawn.  I would ignore the prayer and go about my business the same way I do when I hear other public prayers.  Just so long as no one expects me to stand still and bow my head or otherwise pay attention.

To me Buddhism doesn't rank more acceptable fro public prayers just because it doesn't have a central god figure.  What I dislike about forcing a person to change their behaviour as a mark of respect for a religion they don't believe still applies to Buddhism.   

That's the salient point. Run by private organization, but open to the public? Don't care. Don't even care that elected officials were there. The government didn't organize it, they didn't run it, and government funds weren't used to pay for it so pray go as many gods and goddesses as you wish. Pray to only one god or use an interfaith prayer, knock yourself out. Wouldn't bother me one bit, though I will elect not to join in/bow my head if I choose to attend.

I wouldn't care either way.  I had to look up the event online to remember the details of who ran it.  It's hard to tell when there is a wall of talking heads up on the dais to know who organized what.  The private, government and religious leaders present were all significant in some way to the soldiers being honored at the event - that is what was important to me.  It focused on Japanese soldiers so both Japanese Christian and Buddhist representatives were there.  If there had been someone there from another faith it would have been weird and out of place not because I would specifically care but because it wouldn't have represented the soldiers being remembered.  A Shinto priest would have been ok too but I didn't see one listed when I looked up the event.  Perhaps there isn't as big a community related to that in the area.  

I hear the Muslim call to prayer 5 times a day every day. There are Buddhist alters with incense burning in almost every business I frequent. I will not be able to go anywhere for the next 3 days because of the Hindu Thaipusam holiday. And I am a Christian.

First, I think it is unrealistic to expect to go through life without ever being exposed to a religion that is not your own. Secondly, I think being exposed to these other beliefs has made me a more well-rounded person.

I don't get angry or indignant because the mall has a prayer room for Muslims but no alters for Christians. That's just ridiculous. I wouldn't be offended if someone quoted the sacred text of their faith or prayed to their god/goddess/higher power in front of me. People need to stop being so easily offended.

It wouldn't offend me. I might be old-school, though; I see many offenses taken to be a choice - people choosing to take offense where none is intended. Not all, but many.

I think we do a disservice to truly offensive actions when we decide every little thing is offensive. Everything has the possibility to be found offensive - whether it's someone's politics, religion, or the idea to wear black knee-highs with shorts that suddenly hits every man rounding his 60s (visual pollution does exist, folks).

Some things are truly offensive to most reasonable people. Some things are offensive only if you try really hard to find them so. And many things fall somewhere in the middle, where they wait for us to file them as Offensive or Not Offensive with nary a Mildly Offensive But Not A Big Deal in the Grand Scheme of Things pile in sight.

What's a Buddhist prayer? 

That was my first thought too. My ex is a Buddhist, I've been to ceremonies with him at the Buddhist center, but no one prayed. Meditated, etc, but not prayed. But then I remembered that some Buddhists are theistic, so then it made sense. 

No. Generally I just get upset when Christian prayers are offered and no other because there's an assumption behind that, in a predominantly Christian culture, that isn't behind the offering of prayers from other faiths and beliefs.

This is supposed to be sarcastic, right? Not serious? Just checking. It's hard to read tone on the Internet and I don't want I assume.

It wouldn't have bothered me at all. I probably would've bowed my head a little out of respect for any Buddhists around me. Seems like a great time to practice the Golden Rule to me.

I wouldn't expect a non-Christian to bow their head during a Christian prayer. When I am with my Catholic friends, I don't cross myself when a prayer is said before our meal. So while I was quiet and still during the prayer, I wasn't going to bow my head or close my eyes. I think not interrupting the prayer is respectful, but I won't pretend to participate.

No, I wouldn't be offended. I wouldn't be offended if it was at a school board meeting or a race or whatever. I wouldn't be offended if it was Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Protestant, whatever. I wouldn't have been offended when I was atheist, though I know I rolled my eyes at some Christian prayers before events. Still, I didn't feel offended or oppressed in any way.

This is supposed to be sarcastic, right? Not serious? Just checking. It's hard to read tone on the Internet and I don't want I assume.

No I'm serious. :) I'm Christian myself but I live in secular country that places a high value on diversity. But it's still largely a nation of Christians, especially in the province I live in. If I go to a non-Christian event and only Christian prayers are offered it is often because there's an assumption that everyone there is Christian and it makes me uncomfortable. I find that when I go and prayers of other faiths are said as well it's generally because there's an acknowledgement that there may be people of different faiths or no faith present and I appreciate that.

I don't think Christian prayers should not be offered and my feelings on this may be entirely subjective, being based on my experience.Hope that helps.

If it was not religious, what made it a Buddhist prayer?

The program called it that.  The program also called the Buddhist temple a "church", which I found interesting.  I don't know if the people organizing it put that terminology in because it was what they were more used to, or if the Buddhist participants have made that accommodation as part of being in the United States.  I found it interesting but it didn't really bother me since it was mostly a semantic thing.  

Asking in a genuinely non-snarky way, but could someone explain to me why you would need any public prayer, Buddhist or not, before an athletic event ?  It seems so, idk, non-prayerish an event.

Most of the prayers I've heard before athletic events pray for the safety of the participants and thank God/Higher Power for the opportunity to have the event. It's very common.

No I'm serious. :) I'm Christian myself but I live in secular country that places a high value on diversity. But it's still largely a nation of Christians, especially in the province I live in. If I go to a non-Christian event and only Christian prayers are offered it is often because there's an assumption that everyone there is Christian and it makes me uncomfortable. I find that when I go and prayers of other faiths are said as well it's generally because there's an acknowledgement that there may be people of different faiths or no faith present and I appreciate that.

I don't think Christian prayers should not be offered and my feelings on this may be entirely subjective, being based on my experience.Hope that helps.

I see now. I misunderstood you. I thought you meant you were only offended by Christian prayer and not prayers by any other religion, when what you meant was you were offended if only Christian prayers were offered. Thanks for taking time to explain!