Menu

Disney Folks, if you had 4 days to spend at WDW, which parks would you do?(1 child/boy/age 7)

AnnaBeth

My husband is in a wedding near Orlando so we're going to go ahead and make it a Disney vacation while there.    This is our first time to go to Disney.  

We will be arrive Sunday Feb 2 and will be at the parks Monday Feb 3, Tuesday Feb 4, Wednesday Feb 5, and Thursday, Feb 6.

Would you do a day at each of the 4 parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom) or would you skip one park altogether and do 2 days at one park and 1 day at the other 2?

Any help would be appreciated!

Additional data that may affect your advice to me:

My son is NOT a thrill ride person.    Space Mountain would flip him out.    Haunted Mansion type stuff would totally reduce him to a puddle.    

Small drops are ok.    

He's a "gentle spirit" (still likes VeggieTales) .

My son is sort of "nerdy" mainly because he's around nerdy parents all the time so he talks like a 'lil professor and doesn't know how funny it sounds (i.e today as he was getting a haircut he told the stylist (man), "My hair has been growing so thickLY up front here that I'm beginning to look like an evangelist!")

He hasn't seen Indiana Jones or Star Wars so I'm wondering if the appeal of Hollywood Studios may be over the top for him

we bought tickets to the LaNouba Cirque du Soleil performance for 6pm one evening!

He will love firework shows

I would do one park per day and skip the hoppers.  If you have never been there, Animal Kingdom can definitely take an entire day, especially since it closes earlier than the other parks.  Next time, you can add time to your favorite parks and skip what you don't like.

We don't love Animal Kingdom. I'd recommend doing 2 days at Magic Kingdom, and then 1 day at Epcot and 1 day at Hollywood Studios. 

Well, I guess as a caveat I should say that depends on the time of year. I think you need a minimum of 2 days at Magic Kingdom UNLESS it's the height of summer when the park stays open until the wee hours.

Oh, sorry, now I see you're going in February, so early close times but low crowds. I guess I'd recommend starting at MK and seeing how far you got before committing to one park per day. So if you put in a full day at MK and feel like you missed a bunch of stuff, I'd suggest scratching AK.

Also, as far as the hoppers go, you can add that option after you're there. So it's possible to buy regular tickets and then if you decide to hop you can just pay the difference at guest services.

I would do:

Magic Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Hollywood Studios

Magic Kingdom

I think Magic Kingdom is far and away the best park.  There is so much to see and do there, I think it's wise to spend 2 days so that you can both take your time and do those things you love twice.  This site has a pretty good handle on where to eat and which days to schedule which parks given the expected crowds.  If it's nice weather and you have the money, you might consider subbing Sea World for Hollywood Studios. My kids were probably enjoy that more.

Lisa

We do one per day.  With driving between parks, parking(or taking the buses), walking, going though security and the ticket booths, even at low crowd times wastes a ton of the day.  Especially if you have any bags, etc.  Plus the park hoppers are expensive!

Our kids loved animal kingdom, although I know others don't.  They liked the animals, the safari, we liked the Everest ride and dinosaur area as well.  It's also very spread out and the most walking, and I wouldn't want to rush around to see everything faster. 

We didn't enjoy epcot as much, when we were there the highlights were soarin' and the nemo aquarium area.  My husband liked it, but the kids and I didn't as much. 

Hope you have fun!

Ooooh, finally a topic I feel like I am an expert at... ;-)

After 10 trips pre-kids and 10 trips since having kids... (Those are my credentials. :-) I recommend you buy the subscription at touringplans.com to check the crowd calendar and to get their touring plans for each park. They will recommend which park to go to each day based on a predicted crowd level.

You should do one park each day. If it's your first time, you'll want to get a taste of everything. The only day that would end very early would be the Animal Kingdom day. They close around 5ish in the low season. You could always go to Downtown Disney in the evening if you needed something to do.

I would skip the park hopper. But I would carefully plan out which park to go to each day according to the schedule for parades, fireworks, etc., so as to maximize the time each day. You will be able to see each park in a day with only 1 kiddo in tow during the low season.

Have fun!

Since you've never been, maybe one park per day, but we're not fans of AK, so we'd skip it.  In Feb, many of the animals won't be out anyway, and other than Expedition Everest, the Lion King Show and the Nemo show (I'm not even sure they're still doing that one), we don't do anything else.  IMO, it really takes 2 days to do MK.  Mostly because we ride Pirates of the Caribbean a million times, and like all the shows.  At Hollywood studios, make sure you see The Indiana Jones Stunt Show (a FAVORITE of Indy's of course), the car stunt show (I can't remember the name) and do the Toy Story ride (get Fast Passes the minute you get in the gates!).  A lot of people don't like EPCOT, but we love it!  Things to do:  ride the "golf ball," ride Soarin' (again, get FP right away), go to the aquarium, go to the energy ride/show (it stars Ellen and Bill Nye!), ride the Mexico ride (and eat in the restaurant), ride the Norway ride, walk the entire World Showcase.  If they're playing, catch the Beatles show in the UK.  I could go on and on!

We don't do Park Hoppers, as we never leave the park we're in.  It's a waste of money, IMO.  If you have a smart phone, there's a free WDW app that tells you wait times and show times.  It's very helpful.  Oh, and do at least one character meal!  We always do several of those.  Our favorite is the Ohana Best Friend's Breakfast in the Polynesian.  

It certainly is a matter of preference.  We don't care for Sea World much at all and we LOVE Hollywood Studios!

Dawn

I would do:

Magic Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Hollywood Studios

Magic Kingdom

I think Magic Kingdom is far and away the best park.  There is so much to see and do there, I think it's wise to spend 2 days so that you can both take your time and do those things you love twice.  This site has a pretty good handle on where to eat and which days to schedule which parks given the expected crowds.  If it's nice weather and you have the money, you might consider subbing Sea World for Hollywood Studios. My kids were probably enjoy that more.

Lisa

I would definitely do a park/day, and possibly get a hopper so I could leave from AK or HS if you finish at either early and head over to MK for those evenings if you'd like to have more time at MK (IMO, depending on how he enjoys World Showcase, you could do the same after Epcot).

At any rate, we are going in February, so I happen to have a crowd calendar and daily park recommendation in front of me...

Monday (3rd), HS is a best choice and MK a worst choice

Tuesday (4th), AK is a best choice and Epcot a worst choice

Wednesday (5th), MK is a best choice and HS a worst choice

Thursday (6th), Epcot is a best choice and MK a worst choice

The Main Street Electrical Parade is at MK on the Monday evening at 7 and the Thursday evening at 7 and 9, so I'd make a point to park hop from HS in time to sit on Main Street for 6 and watch that parade. However, if I wasn't doing park hoppers, I wouldn't forego the decision to go in the least crowded park daily just to be in MK on the Monday or Thursday to see the parade.

Honestly, since there is a second parade at 9 on the Thursday, I'd probably wrap up my Epcot trip by 7 and head over to MK on the monorail to sit by 8 or so for the parade. We usually get a tray of ice cream sundaes and enjoy those while we wait (you may choose hot chocolate if it's cold). ;-p

We are big-time "planners" for our Disney trips, and we always get a LOT accomplished by using the lower crowd recs from Easy WDW or Touring Plans (or a mix of both).

I'd be happy to share how we tour the parks if you'd like to message me. We rarely wait in lines, but we do skip things we know we don't particularly care for.

We didn't care for Sea World at all, and this was before all the Blackfish stuff... It's nowhere near Disney-park level service or entertainment IMO. Hollywood Studios will have lots for a 7 year old boy, especially if he likes coasters. :)

I'd look at EasyWDW.com for picking the schedule. Based on that, I'd do Monday at HS (stay for Fantasmic), Tuesday at Animal Kingdom and get to bed early to be up at the crack o'dawn for rope drop at Magic Kingdom on Wednesday and stay through Wishes at 8pm. Thursday Epcot through Illuminations at 9pm. The only thing you'd miss with that is the Main Street Electrical Parade in Magic Kingdom. Monday is a crazy crowded day for the Magic Kingdom. Everyone wants to go there the first day, but I wouldn't. Where are you staying? If you're in the parks, you could go watch the Wishes fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian. You don't have to stay there to go to the beach.

The monorail is supposed to be closed from 11:30am-7pm on weekdays starting in late January through March, in case that affects your planning.

I'd pick the parks based on crowds because I don't think any of them will be as enjoyable for any child if they have to spend the bulk of the time in lines waiting to do stuff. That said, we do love to END our trip with MK, even if it's just a few hours the last night watching the parade. There is just something more magical about the Magic Kingdom! ;-p

Ooooh, finally a topic I feel like I am an expert at... ;-)

After 10 trips pre-kids and 10 trips since having kids... (Those are my credentials. :-) I recommend you buy the subscription at touringplans.com to check the crowd calendar and to get their touring plans for each park. They will recommend which park to go to each day based on a predicted crowd level.

You should do one park each day. If it's your first time, you'll want to get a taste of everything. The only day that would end very early would be the Animal Kingdom day. They close around 5ish in the low season. You could always go to Downtown Disney in the evening if you needed something to do.

I would skip the park hopper. But I would carefully plan out which park to go to each day according to the schedule for parades, fireworks, etc., so as to maximize the time each day. You will be able to see each park in a day with only 1 kiddo in tow during the low season.

Have fun!

Just to embellish here, the only problem with maximizing without a park hopper is the recommended park for the day will usually be the one with NO parade or extra activity. More people flock to MK on a extra magic hours day, or a parade day, so the MK wouldn't be the recommended "low-crowd" park that day.

This, and only this, is the reason I'd recommend a park hopper if I had only 4 days. When we are there 6 or 7 days and have length-of-stay passes, we just go watch parades in the evening of one of our days off of the parks, and still hit the parks on their highest recommended day. That way we don't miss any of our favorites, but we still have the lowest crowd levels to contend with in each park.

Honestly, if you have a 7yo that enjoys rides, and you wanted to give up any park to do 2 days at MK, I'd give up Epcot. It is overall the least appealing to children IMO. HS isn't fabulous, but it certainly has the best thrill rides, and there are some attractions kids would enjoy more than I think they'd enjoy World Showcase. Future World in Epcot really only has 2 good rides, and I just don't feel like it's overall appealing to most children. I just think the theming overall is more appealing in the other 3 parks (for kids).

With a 7yo boy, I would do 1st and last day at Magic Kingdom, 1 day at Epcot and a day at Animal Kingdom. 

Unless said boy is a fan of Star Wars or the thrill rides. If so Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and Rockin Roller Coaster are big draws at Hollywood Studios (also check to make sure your child meets height requirements before planning on those rides).

Unless said boy is a fan of Star Wars or the thrill rides. If so Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and Rockin Roller Coaster are big draws at Hollywood Studios (also check to make sure your child meets height requirements before planning on those rides).

Plus the Indiana Jones stunt show is fun. Toy Story Mania is one of my DS's favorite rides.

I think the park hoppers are expensive!  Plus, it takes a long time to "hop" between the parks when you could actually be enjoying one.

If it was me, I would do Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, and then back to Magic Kingdom.

Also, the crowd calendars at touringplans.com were spot on for us.  Definitely something to look into.  If you can make the most of Disney with the least crowds, the better the experience.

We just did that, and my youngest is 8.  We did 2 days at the Magic Kingdom, 1 at Hollywood Studios and 1 at Epcot.  There isn't much at the Animal Kingdom, unless you like the shows (which my young sons had no interest in seeing).  But if you do the park hopper, you might be able to do Hollywood studios and the Animal Kingdom in a day.  

Epcot does have some good rides, but it's also a lot of walking, so you could drop Epcot if you wanted the Animal Kingdom, unless you wanted to see the World Showcase.  My ds8 enjoyed Epcot, more than I thought he would.  

I would do 2 days at the Magic Kingdom.  That is where your 7 year old will have the most fun.  And if you can, get there before the opening, it's a nice little show that adds to the "magic" feeling.  

We've been twice, once when my boys were nearly 7 and another at 8. Both times they loved Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom the best. They liked Epcot the least each time.

I think with just 4 days, I might try park hopper passes. Then you could hit highlights of, say, Epcot and then go elsewhere. You could also do a low crowd day at Magic Kingdom and plan to see fireworks there on a more crowded day combined with a short park day elsewhere. I think the flexibility would be worth the extra cost.

Rest assured that you will not mess it up. Everyone has strong opinions, but regardless of whose recommendations you go with, you will have an awesome time. You are going at a great time of year, post-Christmas and pre-spring break, and there is nothing like your first trip to WDW. Enjoy!

I would do a park a day.  You never know which park you'll love & which you could do without.  

It's funny that so many people say scratch Epcot for kids, but it's my kids' favorite park.  If I were to scratch one, it'd be Animal Kingdom.  We don't enjoy it as much.

Epcot has always been my kids favorite park, mine too. I would do Magic Kingdom first, Epcot second, Hollywood Studios (especially if your kid is a Disney movie nut) and then go back to Epcot a second time.

We were just there in October. The countries in Epcot is something you should not miss. I counted it as a school day! Some of their rides are very educational, The Living Seas, Universe of Energy, Starship Earth (the big ball)... all educational and should not be missed. The World Showcase can take you half the day going from country to county. Taste the different ethnic foods, see the shows.. so much fun!

Animal Kingdom is also our least favorite. My daughter loves the A Bugs Life show, so went back there this last trip just for that... and to eat at Rainforest Cafe.

OP Here.

Wow!   What a help this info is.  Thanks to all!!!

My son is NOT a thrill ride person.    Space Mountain would flip him out.    Haunted Mansion type stuff would totally reduce him to a puddle.     Small drops are ok.    He's a "gentle spirit" (still likes VeggieTales) .

I'm really thinking we need the 2 days in MK after reading all of this.   

So the issue becomes what to do with the last 2 days to spread between the three parks.     My son is sort of "nerdy" sciency so I'm thinking he'll like Epcot and I know nerdy Daddy and I will like it.

I've got reservations at Akershus for breakfast and Bierwhatchamacallit (german restaurant) for dinner at 4pm.     So, now, after reading all of this is what to do with that last day --- Animal or Hollywood.       Which of the two is the least busy?      I'm going to go back and MULL over what you've all wrote again to decide...........

(we bought tickets to the LaNouba Cirque du Soleil performance for 6pm one evening!)

It's funny to read all of the different responses because there is such a wide variety of favorites. I have taken a 7 year old non-thrill riding boy to Disney.

Your son may enjoy the Sorcerers card game in Magic Kingdom. I've forgotten the details but you should be able to google it. I can't think of any rides he really enjoyed there. He did like the 3D Mickey movie and Laugh Factory. Overall it was the least favorite park. I'm not sure he liked any ride he tried there for various reasons.

At Hollywood Studios he loved Toy Story and the Star Wars ride. He also liked the Disney Jr. Show and Indiana Jones.

At Animal Kingdom there is a card to fill out at different stations around the park. That was a huge hit. Animal Kingdom was the favorite park. There is a lot to learn and he likes to learn. Animal Kingdom wouldn't be a favorite of somebody who likes a lot of rides.

Epcot doesn't have a lot of rides which was fine for my son. He really liked the Agent P game in the World Showcase. I found it to be annoying because I spent a lot of time chasing him around but it is one of his fondest memories. It's a huge time suck like the Wizards game in Mgic Kingdom.

Star Tours is the bomb (according to Indy).  It's not a scary ride, but a virtual flight through space.  I swear I've ridden it 8 gajillion times.  It used to be the same ride over and over, but they've changed it so each ride is different.  

I would do a park a day.  You never know which park you'll love & which you could do without.  

It's funny that so many people say scratch Epcot for kids, but it's my kids' favorite park.  If I were to scratch one, it'd be Animal Kingdom.  We don't enjoy it as much.

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

OP Here.

Wow!   What a help this info is.  Thanks to all!!!

My son is NOT a thrill ride person.    Space Mountain would flip him out.    Haunted Mansion type stuff would totally reduce him to a puddle.     Small drops are ok.    He's a "gentle spirit" (still likes VeggieTales) .

So the issue becomes what to do with the last 2 days to spread between the three parks.     My son is sort of "nerdy" sciency so I'm thinking he'll like Epcot and I know nerdy Daddy and I will like it.

I've got reservations at Akershus for breakfast and Bierwhatchamacallit (german restaurant) for dinner at 4pm.     So, now, after reading all of this is what to do with that last day --- Animal or Hollywood.       Which of the two is the least busy?      I'm going to go back and MULL over what you've all wrote again to decide...........

(we bought tickets to the LaNouba Cirque du Soleil performance for 6pm one evening!)

Hollywood Studios!  SO.MUCH.FUN.  The Toy Story ride alone is worth it.  Oh, and the Muppet's 3D show!  We love it.  And again, the Indiana Jones Stunt Show and the car stunt show are NOT to be missed.  

our favorite park has always been Epcot, even when my dc were 6 and 8 and even now as teens.  I agree with all that Mom In High Heels had to say about Epcot.  My dc's second favorite is Hollywood Studios, then Magic Kingdom and then Animal Kingdom

We went this summer for the first time. I'm surprised others don't like Epcot.  Our young kids loved it!  They did like playing the Agent P game.  Soarin' was my favorite ride in the parks.  Spaceship Earth was possibly my second favorite.  The kids loved Spaceship Earth.

The Toy Story ride in Hollywood Studios is fabulous.  Hollywood Studios also had our favorite fireworks show.  

I feel like Magic Kingdom really can take two days.  I'd consider going to MK in one of your first two days and leaving AK for one of the last two days.  Then, you can ditch AK for a second day of MK if you want.  We did like the Lion King show and the bug show in the big tree.  We took AK as a short day... but we needed a short day because we were there for eight days.  If I only had four days, i'd want to do four long days.  

We've huge Disney fans and have probably been about 40 times. Here's my advice......Go to MK as many days as you need until you feel you've done all you want to do. For some, that could be one day. For some, three days. It has, by far, the most attractions. And if you have a child who is timid about thrill rides, he'll be able to do nearly everything in Magic Kingdom. You will want to skip the mountains....and possibly the Haunted Mansion (although it has never bothered any of my three girls). But that's about it. My kids have been doing everything but the mountains since they were an infant (and they hit the mountains just as soon as they hit the "tall enough" mark). You are going at at GREAT time of year....it's just about my favorite month to go crowd-wise.  MK is my favorite park by far, as well as that of my kids. Every parade and fireworks show is awesome, so you won't want to miss any of them. Basically, see everything that MK offers :)

For a second park, I'd hit Animal Kingdom. The jungle treks are fun to walk, the gorilla and tiger enclosures are amazing. We love the safari ride, looking at the Tree of Life up close, etc. My kids do love Everest and Kali River Rapids, but those would probably be too much for your son. The Finding Nemo show is great. You'll want to see Festival of the Lion King....it's an AMAZING show. The Boneyard is a place your son might want to spend a while...it's a neat play area.

When we do Hollywood Studios, it's for a few reasons....mostly character recognition. If your son isn't into movies/characters, you might can skip it. My 9 year old DD LOVES Star Wars, so this is the place to be for that. All three of my girls love Disney Junior....so we go to see Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Jake, etc. They love the Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground and the Toy Story Mania ride. Those are our main stops there.

Epcot is the least loved of my kids. Not that they don't like it because they love all things Disney, but it is the number four park on their list. I will say that if you do Epcot, it takes two days to sufficiently see everything. Spend one day in Future World and one day walking the countries. My girls do love the Innovations and Innoventions, where they have all sorts of interactive virutal games, create and ride your own rollercoaster, etc. When we hit Epcot, we spend a lot of hours in these places.

I would recommend renting or buying Birnebaum's guide to Disney for kids, or whatever it's called and sit with my child and go through it. I had each kid pick their favorites and we went from there. We went when each kid turned five so mine were younger but they loved AK the least. That's not to say they didn't like it. They loved it, just not as much as the others. But mine aren't big animal lovers so it wasn't as big a deal for them. Each family has to decide what is more important to them and the above book does a real good job describing each ride. Also recommend the Unofficial Guide to DW. Also has great descriptions. My kids loved Epcot. We have fond memories of playing the drums for an hour at one country in Epcot. Of course, we have fond memories of playing the Pan flute and Mancala at AK and fireworks at MK and dancing with the parade at HS and... Well, you get the idea.

Are there any specific characters he likes the most because some of them can only be found at certain parks?

OP Here.

Wow! What a help this info is. Thanks to all!!!

My son is NOT a thrill ride person. Space Mountain would flip him out. Haunted Mansion type stuff would totally reduce him to a puddle. Small drops are ok. He's a "gentle spirit" (still likes VeggieTales) .

So the issue becomes what to do with the last 2 days to spread between the three parks. My son is sort of "nerdy" sciency so I'm thinking he'll like Epcot and I know nerdy Daddy and I will like it.

I've got reservations at Akershus for breakfast and Bierwhatchamacallit (german restaurant) for dinner at 4pm. So, now, after reading all of this is what to do with that last day --- Animal or Hollywood. Which of the two is the least busy? I'm going to go back and MULL over what you've all wrote again to decide...........

Epcot has always been a favorite with my boys. They have lots of hands on stuff for them. Also if he watches Phineas and Ferb they have the Perry Adventures. My kids LOVE them. They have fun doing the adventure and mom and dad get to explore the different countries w/o kid complaining they are bored. ;-)

If you do HS just be aware that most everything is a show with set time(s), so you need to plan your day out ahead of time so you don't miss something you really want to see. Also if you want to get fast passes (or even ride) Toy Story you need to get there for rope drop and go there FIRST. Do not stop to admire the big hat, do not stop to watch the street show, go straight to Toy Story. Personally, my kids only like HS because of the thrill rides. If your guy won't ride them I'd probably do AK.

I'd plan my days around crowds. If the park has extra magic hours it will be more crowded during the day than the rest of the parks. That being said you have to go to Magic Kingdom first.

Yes, this.  

Just to embellish here, the only problem with maximizing without a park hopper is the recommended park for the day will usually be the one with NO parade or extra activity. More people flock to MK on a extra magic hours day, or a parade day, so the MK wouldn't be the recommended "low-crowd" park that day.

This, and only this, is the reason I'd recommend a park hopper if I had only 4 days. When we are there 6 or 7 days and have length-of-stay passes, we just go watch parades in the evening of one of our days off of the parks, and still hit the parks on their highest recommended day. That way we don't miss any of our favorites, but we still have the lowest crowd levels to contend with in each park.

For a 7 year old, Legoland is a great place.

We used to go to CA LL when we lived in CA and the boys were younger.  They were so excited when Orlando added oneĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..until we went.  We found out quickly that our boys had really outgrown LL.  *sad, sad day for mama*

It probably didn't help that we went when it first opened and they didn't have their act together yet.  Lines were out of control, rides broke down, lines for food were not clearly shown so people were all over the place.  

A couple of other people on WTM were there the same day I was there so maybe they can weigh in as well.  

Dawn

One of the pp's mentioned Legoland.....Legoland is AMAZING. It's not on a grand scale like Disney, it's smaller....but my girls absolutely LOVED Legoland. It's a good hour drive from Orlando though.

Yes, I do believe Legoland will only appeal to kids in a certain age range.....I'm thinking up to about 10 or 12 , depending on the child. We went 4 months after it opened and experienced no problems. My kids were 4 and 7 then. They are now 6 and 9 and still begging to return. We probably will this year.