Menu

North Face down jackets: better quality than Lands End or just trendier?

Janie Grace

My friend is selling a North Face jacket for $80, half of what they are new. A jacket of similar style/loft is $40 on Lands End right now. I *know* my dd would prefer the NF jacket (because she really cares about brands at this point in her life  :rolleyes:). What say you, WTM women? Is there a reason the NF jacket is so much, beyond coolness? Is this a great deal I should jump on, or talk her into gratitude for a LE jacket (easier said than done)?

I have a NF and I hate the way it feels around the face/neck area.  It's tight and uncomfortable with a scarf.  It also feels more stiff overall.   I'd much rather have the puffy LE style which is just as warm and way more comfortable.  I sometimes wear my husband;s LE.  

That said, I'm no fashionista.

ETA:  Northface Greenland is what I'm speaking about.

I have a NorthFace and I LOVE it. And a big part of the reason I love it is because it is just as warm as thicker coats, but not as bulky. Mine isn't down though and I don't have a Land's End one to compare it to. I bought mine because it is a beautiful color. My dh recently bought one but returned it because he didn't care for the fit. He thought it felt too short. Maybe if it is important to your dd, she could pay the difference in price?

In my large metro area, there have been robberies of North Face jackets. I know there was at least one teen killed for his jacket a couple months ago. My teens don't usually hang in areas where such crimes occur, but we don't live in a bubble and even if I were with them all the time if someone wanted their coat I wouldn't be able to do a damn thing. My kids have never asked for North Face, but based on the news it would be a big no go in my house.

My kids wear LLBean. I've seen North Face, I don't think it would be any different in quality, but there are probably consumer ratings on them somewhere online.

Would she be willing to pay the difference between the North Face and the Lands End you were planning to buy otherwise?

Has LE put out new down jackets this season? I looked at them for my DD in the fall and ruled them out because the reviews were terrible. She tried them on in Sears and didn't like the fit. (Needs a women's XS or S)

My DH loves his North Face jacket that he found at Marshall's a few years ago, enough that he's bought a rain jacket and heavier coat when it was on the Nordstrom annual sale. My frugal but quality focused best friend in the NE buys them for her whole family. They get great reviews, so it's more than just a trendy brand.

Having had both over the years, my hubby and I ALWAYS buy NF or Mountain Hardware coats and other items. I think it does depend on where you live and how hard you will be on them to justify the additional cost. If you live primarily in a city and are not outdoors overly much? Well, that probably comes down to NF as a status symbol, meh.. Even the US Army goes with NF, minus the label:)

Even my newly 4 yr old has had NF since birth, because we travel a lot, are outdoors a lot, and it keeps her warm so much better. Her little NF snowsuit as a 1 yr old was worth its weight in gold:)

I do tend to buy her coats a bit big, layer clothes, and roll sleeves a bit to stretch it over a couple of years:)

North Face is trendy, but it is also very good quality.  I would buy a gently used North Face for $80 over a similar but cheaper LE.  Especially since LEs quality has tanked over the past couple of years.

Look at the details though to make sure it has the features she wants.  I am particular about cuffs, the way the zipper moves, snow skirt--if I want it for snow play, interior pockets, zippers on the pockets, hood, and collar style.  I also don't like fabric that makes noise, but that is mostly a personal preference.  LOL

I think for medium cold weather (meaning 0 degrees F and up!  :)  you can get similar jackets from Lands End.  But for extreme cold and durability, North Face really does make a better jacket.  My brother recently went on an expedition to Mt. Everest and they all went with North Face products.

We have both LE and NF, and have had them for multiple years.  NF is the better down coat without question.  That having been said, depending on the shell, a NF coat can almost be too warm in the 25+ degree range.  A weatherproof shell will be warmer than a lightweight nylon covering.

I would go with NF for warmth and quality. That said, A $160 North Face jacket is not their high end winter gear by any stretch. I don't know that in that level you would see a significant difference in the warmth of the coat.

The nice thing about NF is they offer a nice style (not bulky) without compromising warmth. Are you able to try on both jackets and see how they fit first? You may find that one fits significantly better than the other.

I personally would buy a NF over Lands End.

It depends on the cutting of the jacket. The jacket that keeps me the warmest and makes me look the best are the ones that are most fitting regardless of brands.   I tried a few North Face jackets for fun at stores like Last Call, Nordstrom Rack and the longer ones are loose for me at the waist and too snug for me at the hips and I wear an XS. So it looks kind of weird on me besides the big "air pocket" in the waist area. If the NF is waist length or if there is an internal waist tie than it is a non-issue.  Price wise, the NF jackets are affordable at the "discount" stores.  I'm also near a Columbia outlet store so pretty much spoilt for choice.  I like the Marmot ones too.

We have a LE jacket that I bought for $5 about 6 years ago at a local odd lots / discount store. It is the single best jacket, ever. They don't make it anymore, but that one jacket has made me a LE believer. I think North Face is just trendier, and honestly, I wouldn't buy one because I fear it would make me look like I'm trying to be cool. I am so not cool. LOL

Good for you, your daughter will be thrilled.

In my large metro area, there have been robberies of North Face jackets. I know there was at least one teen killed for his jacket a couple months ago. My teens don't usually hang in areas where such crimes occur, but we don't live in a bubble and even if I were with them all the time if someone wanted their coat I wouldn't be able to do a damn thing. My kids have never asked for North Face, but based on the news it would be a big no go in my house.

My kids wear LLBean. I've seen North Face, I don't think it would be any different in quality, but there are probably consumer ratings on them somewhere online.

This is very silly. North Face jackets are exceptionally common in middle schools & high schools. It's like having an iphone.  I am sure people have been killed for thier iphone, too, but that doesn't mean that every iphone purchase puts the user at risk of getting shot over it.

We have a LE jacket that I bought for $5 about 6 years ago at a local odd lots / discount store. It is the single best jacket, ever. They don't make it anymore, but that one jacket has made me a LE believer. I think North Face is just trendier, and honestly, I wouldn't buy one because I fear it would make me look like I'm trying to be cool. I am so not cool. LOL

I feel the same way. But many tweens/teens feel differently!

There is one 4 year old at my daughter's Sunday school who wears North Face, which I think is absurd.  Not sure who the parents are trying to impress.... I hope the little boy doesn't know the difference.  My daughter is in used Lands End which is pretty fancy for the age IMO.

Good for you, your daughter will be thrilled.

She was. It's good for me to remember that sometimes my teen's "love language" is my being willing to purchase what she would like rather than what I think is more sensible (I say "no" a LOT, out of necessity). Thankfully, in this case I felt that her preference was a legitimate alternative, in spite of the price difference. :)

There is one 4 year old at my daughter's Sunday school who wears North Face, which I think is absurd. Not sure who the parents are trying to impress.... I hope the little boy doesn't know the difference. My daughter is in used Lands End which is pretty fancy for the age IMO.

We got a North Face fleece jacket at Nordstrom Rack for around $10 last winter for the baby. Cheaper and much nicer than the Old Navy jacket I'd bought (and then returned). You never know! :)

Probably should spin this off but -

Since we moved into the city I've noticed "everyone" wearing north face jackets. So much so that I started wondering if it isn't like some kind of "fight club". 

I'm aware of the first rule of fight club- but I am wondering how long I need to live here before I'm invited to join.  ;)

And just fyi- the small town we moved from was rampant with camouflage jackets and we didn't get those either so maybe we just aren't joiners. ;)

There is one 4 year old at my daughter's Sunday school who wears North Face, which I think is absurd. Not sure who the parents are trying to impress.... I hope the little boy doesn't know the difference. My daughter is in used Lands End which is pretty fancy for the age IMO.

Even my newly 4 yr old has had NF since birth, because we travel a lot, are outdoors a lot, and it keeps her warm so much better. Her little NF snowsuit as a 1 yr old was worth its weight in gold:)

I do tend to buy her coats a bit big, layer clothes, and roll sleeves a bit to stretch it over a couple of years:)

Yikes, I didn't realize my kiddo or her parents were trying to impress anyone by putting her in a warm coat😄

People travel. People ski. All sorts of reasons why parents might find it important to put their kids in the warmest clothes possible. My dd absolutely doesn't know or care what NF is, and that 4 yr old most likely doesn't either. Maybe we should invest in a non-name brand coat to wear to preschool so people won't judge?

Just saying😳

Honestly, not picking on you personally...but we are not on this earth to judge others when we do not even have all of the information...

I just got a North Face coat. I had no idea it was trendy until reading this thread. I just happened to be really cold and decided that it was time to get myself a real coat after being in denial that we really were living farther north than I like. I found a really good deal on a slightly imperfect NF coat. I have received many compliments on it. I sort of feel awkward now. I really love it and it is so warm and comfortable. I hope people don't think I'm showing off by wearing it!

As a side note- it's long and I also find it quite slim in the hips. My coat runs much smaller than the ones I tried on from other brands...but maybe it's because it was a 2nd? I still haven't found the defect it's supposed to have.

Yikes, I didn't realize my kiddo or her parents were trying to impress anyone by putting her in a warm coat😄

People travel. People ski. All sorts of reasons why parents might find it important to put their kids in the warmest clothes possible. My dd absolutely doesn't know or care what NF is, and that 4 yr old most likely doesn't either. Maybe we should invest in a non-name brand coat to wear to preschool so people won't judge?

Just saying😳

Honestly, not picking on you personally...but we are not on this earth to judge others when we do not even have all of the information...

Well I live in New England, maybe it's different elsewhere, but here North Face is not considered all that warm a coat. I am talking about the super trendy one that everyone has, i forget the name, it's a thick fleece with black panels? You need a parka for January - March in addition.

edit, I just remembered, it's the Denali.

Recent North Face is always better quality in my opinion than Lands End, at least for their soft shells and real hiking jackets. In general I've been pretty disappointed with Lands End in recent years - things keep literally falling apart on me - zippers breaking, seams unravelling, that kind of thing.  They still have a great guarantee and will still take stuff back, but its a pain. I grew up wearing Lands' End so have kept buying it, but have gotten really annoyed with their deteriorating quality.  I've never had anything North Face unravel within a month of wearing. I also like Merrell - my husband's soft shell jacket that he wears everyday is from them and he left it on a plane recently and immediately went out and bought an identical one, he couldn't stand another one. Sierra Trading Post is a place to look for these brands - they will have the last season's styles, but way cheaper than REI type stores.  That's where I get a lot of our jackets, especially for the kids.

This is an exciting thread for me.  I am apparently trendy!  My 10+yo North Face vest is still going strong! :)

Me too! I am thrilled to even be remotely associated with the trendy crowd! Ha Ha. My 8 year old north face jacket bought at the North Face factory outlet store in Berkeley is working hard this winter :)

This is an exciting thread for me.  I am apparently trendy!  My 10+yo North Face vest is still going strong! :)

Me too! I am thrilled to even be remotely associated with the trendy crowd! Ha Ha. My 8 year old north face jacket bought at the North Face factory outlet store in Berkeley is working hard this winter :)

So then you are both in the club. So cool.

Just saying😳

Totally agree.

My son had a NF jacket when he was 3. We happened to get it at a thrift store and it was bought for the purpose of a ski trip to Whistler. I guess because we ski and my husband does mountaineering, I think in terms of function and quality. We own a lot of Black Diamond, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Mammut, and Arc'Teryx, along with cheaper stuff like REI and Columbia. Most of it bought way on sale and none of it to impress anyone.